Prologue.

Broomsticks are Made for Sweeping

Mister Shim’s flying lessons sound useless.

 

Kyungsoo has heard all about flying lessons and the mishaps that can occur while one is suspended mid air and frankly, the trouble one must go through in order to fly doesn’t make any sense to Kyungsoo at all. This whole flying business and what not sounds like an absolutely awful idea. Broken bones, bleeding noses, concussions, loss of limbs etc. etc. … the list just keeps going. Kyungsoo just doesn’t get it. Why should he have to clutch onto a ratty old kitchen cleaning tool for dear life when he’s perfectly content with walking? Why should Kyungsoo attend a stupid flying class if he doesn’t plan on flying much in the future? If anything, Kyungsoo can simply learn how to apparate once he’s old enough, carry around a portkey of some sort, or hey, you know what? Drive. Not everyone is made for flying like Kyungsoo’s older brother Seungsoo, or Chanyeol’s older sister, Yura. The two of them are naturals, but Kyungsoo? Kyungsoo knows he isn’t one. He’s never found the prospect of flying even remotely interesting and it’s not going to happen out of nowhere. If anything, forcing him to fly is only going to make the experience worse.

 

Mister Shim’s flying lessons sound intense.  

 

Zitao is ready and has been ready to fly for as long as he can remember. He’s nimble, flexible and quick. Zitao is athletic and he prides himself in being a fast learner. His father was one of Hogwarts’ best Seekers and Zitao is determined to prove to his friends and family that he can be just as great, if not better than his father. Zitao has never tried flying on a broom before (his mother is adamant about Zitao getting lessons from a professional and does not consider his father one), but he knows he’ll be a natural. He’s watched a number of his father’s recreational Quidditch games and while flying like his father does takes quite a bit of skill, it doesn’t seem like something Zitao can’t learn to do. He’s willing to put in the effort. Really, Zitao has his whole future at Hogwarts already planned out before him. He’ll be the top of his flying class, make the Hufflepuff Quidditch team in his second year, and become the best Seeker that Hufflepuff has ever had. He’ll probably make a ton of friends both inside and outside of Quidditch, do well in his classes, and maybe become an Auror or something cool like that too. Zitao can’t wait.  

 

Mister Shim’s flying lessons sound fun.


Chanyeol doesn’t really know what to expect, but he’s excited to start flying. His limbs are kind of gangly and he’s super uncoordinated, but flying shouldn’t be too hard… right? He’s seen his parents and older sister fly all the time and they make it look easy, so Chanyeol should be fine. All he’s got to do is hop onto the broom and the broom will do all the work right? Really though, Chanyeol has never really put much thought into flying. Like many other things that have happened to Chanyeol in his eleven years of living, the young Slytherin has simply learned to accept that flying on a broom is an inevitable part of a wizard’s life. Like brushing his hair, washing his face, and putting on clean socks, flying is something Chanyeol can’t avoid. Who knows? Maybe Chanyeol will end up liking it. He’s quite fond of washing his face these days. If he’s lucky, maybe he’ll have a natural talent for flying like Yura did and join Quidditch as a Beater or something. If that’s the case, then awesome! People on the team end up being really close friends and making a ton of friends is always a good thing. Yeah, flying....this’ll be great.