The Dad

Family Log #1: The Mothership

 

Rap Monster a.k.a Kim Namjoon

The Dad

 

“Okay guys. We need to talk,” Namjoon said. He might as well have been whispering because no one heard him, except for Seokjin who was standing nearby. The concert hall was huge, and nobody else was within a five meter radius from them.

He cleared his throat again but in a louder voice, “Guys. Come to down to the main stage.” Taehyung’s ears must have somehow caught a single sound wave from Namjoon as he spun around on the spot to look at the leader from the other end of the stage. “Hyung what did you say?” he yelled.

Namjoon looked affronted when he realised that Taehyung’s voice was louder than his.

“Ask of them to come here!”

“Can’t hear you! What?!”

Making an exasperated noise at the back of his throat at Namjoon’s sudden stupidity, Seokjin switched on his microphone and held it up to his mouth with arms crossed, “All BTS members please come to the stage now. Leader wants to talk.”

Sure enough, a look of revelation passed on Taehyung’s face as he began to make his way over to the two of them.

Seokjin then gave Namjoon a ‘I can’t believe you didn’t think of that’ look and the other simply made a nonchalant face, though he had an air of defeat surrounding him. A little guiltily, Namjoon spoke into his own microphone.

“Please come here ASAP. Manager hyung needs to confirm this.”

A few minutes later, most of the group had gathered around. Seokjin watched Namjoon sweep his gaze across the members and do a head count. “Yoongi... Tae… Jimin… Hobi-” He paused abruptly as his face scrunched up with a mild irritation. Continuing, he asked, “Where’s Hoseok? And where’s Jungkook?”

Namjoon gave Jimin a questioning look but the younger simply returned his gaze with an innocent smile. A heavy sigh escaped the taller’s lips as he spoke into the microphone again, “Hoseok and Jungkook please come to the stage.”

When the two said members did not arrive after a whole five minutes, Namjoon looked at Seokjin with a sheepish smile. It was always him, wasn’t it. In any way, Seokjin did not appreciate it when people were late.

“Jung Hoseok, please release Jungkook from whatever cupboard you decided to lock him in and come here now. Otherwise, I’m going to make sure you go on a roller coaster again the next time we go to the theme park. And Jimin will be free to use your dance studio for a week.”

Jimin beamed at him gleefully.

Sure enough, Hoseok emerged from backstage in jiffy with Jungkook looking like he wanted to strangle the older.

Namjoon immediately began talking upon seeing the arrival of the two. As he talked, the story soon unravelled that they were to go to Lotte world to film a V app special with a couple of other groups as part of a fan surprise event in a few days’ time.

Heads turned toward Seokjin questioning and he said calmly albeit truthfully, “I didn’t know anything about this okay? Hoseok you don’t need to glare at me like that.” The rapper sniffed sarcastically at Seokjin’s comment in return.

“Anyway,” Namjoon cleared his throat, eyes trailing away from the two of them to the others, “We need to pick a song to perform. Bang PD already shortlisted the songs for us. One will be Dope, second will be Fun Boys, third will be Run and the last choice is Boy In Luv. We’ll do a vote.”

Seokjin went for Fun Boys, Jungkook went for Run but most hands were raised at Dope. Yoongi grumbled the moment he saw the number of votes for Dope, “Really? That dance is tiring as fu-” “Language, Yoongi,” Seokjin cut in sharply.

Namjoon cracked a grin and Yoongi looked at him before protesting, “Aren’t you going to help me?” “Nope,” the leader answered cheerily. “Seokjin hyung is right. We’re not in the dorm, or the recording studio. So please, tone it down.”

The discussion continued without much disruption save for Hoseok shrieking at his wit’s end (“This is a conspiracy!”) when everyone else unanimously voted for the roller coaster with lots of fishy smiles. After that, the stage designer called them all back to the rehearsal which continued till late at night.

Seokjin knew that all leaders had to work extra hard; one being having to make sure the entire team worked together smoothly (or Namjoon had put it, “Taking the bullets for the group and company vice versa) and two being having to handle each member’s nonsense at the worst of times. When it came to Kim Namjoon, it was no exception.

Well, that night at one in the morning was no exception.

“Oh god hyung get off me!” Jungkook groaned as he pushed Hoseok away from his shoulder. The older then turned to Taehyung who was sitting on his right on the couch and pleaded, “Taeeeee can you ask Namjoon to change the ride?”

Taehyung continued typing something on his phone and replied without bothering to look up, “No can’t do, hyung. Mum says ‘roller coaster’ means ‘roller coaster’.”

“But it’s Namjoon that decides!”

“And you and I know very well that it is Jin hyung that cements the decision.”

“Come on! Tae you’re no fun. You’re spending too much time with Kookie.”

Irritancy flashed in the youngest’s eyes. “Hyung are you saying that I’m no fun?” Beside him, Taehyung murmured into his phone not so quietly, “Well you’re kind of not fun…” Seokjin could hear the arrival of the squabble even before it started.

The living room, though new, was not large. Hence, sound could travel real quickly and Seokjin exhaled a deep sigh as the three of them bickered on. “Are you done?” he asked, turning towards Namjoon who was typing a report out on his computer at the dining table.

The taller made a face and answered, fingers hovering momentarily over the keys, “Two more paragraphs, I think. You know how Bang PD is when it comes to formal stuff.” Seokjin nodded his head sympathetically.

“-Oh so now you’re just bragging that you’re not in school anymore when I am?”

“School’s making you boring, Kookie.”

“Do you know how hard it is to balance school and our schedules? Do you think I can afford to be extra happy and idiotic like you with it around?”

Namjoon frowned and looked up across to where the three where seated. “Guys please calm down. Jungkook, you know Hoseok likes to joke around. And Taehyung? To be brutal just shut up, you’re adding oil to the fire.” A tense silence filled the house and Seokjin sat up straight on the chair, very much aware of the atmosphere.

It had been a while since a quarrel actually broke through to this heated level. Usually they were pretty minor and would be dissolved within minutes, but the defiant and angry look Jungkook had on his face told Seokjin that it was otherwise this time.

“Look, you three have to learn to get along better. Most of the quarrels start from you all, especially you Hoseok.”

As the name hung in the air, Jungkook and Hoseok looked down at their hands in silence. Seokjin called out, “Tae, put down your phone.” A disgruntled look passed on Taehyung’s face but he still put the device down onto his lap without question.

“I want this group to last a long time, guys. I’m sure all of us do,” Namjoon continued in a softer tone. “Please try to get along more often, okay? Can you do it? For yourselves and Bangtan?” “Yes…” came the immediate low chorus of ashamed sounding voices.

The tense atmosphere dispersed a little and Seokjin stood up to walk over to the trio. “Okay okay it’s late. Go to bed. We have a long day tomorrow,” he said comfortingly as he pulled Jungkook up by his hands.

Clutching his phone, Taehyung got up quickly and made it into their shared room even before the other two stood up. Seokjin sighed internally, making a mental note to talk to Taehyung another day. Shakily, Jungkook walked into the room next.

As Seokjin ushered Hoseok in, he told the glum younger, “I’ll talk to manager hyung. We’ll go to the water rides instead.” A radiant smile broke apart the solemn look on Hoseok’s face as he dipped his head slightly in gratefulness.

“Thank you, hyung,” he said quietly. The rapper then disappeared into his room before closing the door behind him.

Seokjin smiled to himself and returned to the dining table where Namjoon had covered his face with his two hands, elbows propped on the table surface. He patted the other on the shoulder and said, “You did well.”

Namjoon let out a frustrated but quiet grumble at his comment. After that, he returned to his typing. As Seokjin sat back on the chair, he puffed out his cheeks not sure what to say to the other. For as long as he had known the leader, he knew he was good at words (rapper duh) but when it came to the members, it was difficult to reprimand them. It was the way one would find it hard to scold a friend of many years.

For Namjoon, it would be Hoseok. He had spent more time with the rapper line than the younger ones, or even Seokjin himself so it was no surprise when Namjoon asked with a sigh, “Hyung, do you even get the strength to scold them?”

“I don’t know. I just… Do,” Seokjin replied truthfully, watching the blinking line at the end of the sentence of the word document. Shrugging, he in a deep breath before saying, “I guess it’s because I care for them.”

A smile played at the ends of Namjoon’s lips.

With a comfortable silence falling over the two of them, Seokjin watched the other complete the report. Suddenly, a loud snap echoed from beneath the table, jarring Seokjin out of his restful state.

“…What did you break?”

“Um. The foot stool…”

“Really, Joon?”

 

The next morning, Seokjin woke up to loud blasts of music. More specifically, music and singing from the last room down the corridor.

“Soneul deuro nan FREEZE armour down NANANANANANANA-”

“-YEAH I’M CHAINED UP CHAINED UP!”

As Seokjin sat on his bed still disgruntled, Yoongi shifted the tiniest bit from his sleeping position. He flexed his eyelids up and down while his eyes adjusted to the light that the table lamp emitted that Yoongi had left on (again).

“…NANANANANA”

The music pounded through the walls and Seokjin immediately knew it was coming from Hoseok’s speaker. He always used it at the dance studio which was good then, but not so much now.

Not after long, Seokjin heard a few quick thumps on the door to their room. He asked groggily, “Come in.” The door creaked open slightly and Seokjin saw a small sliver of Jungkook’s face through it.

“Hyung can you make pancakes for breakfast?”

“Sure… But I don’t think it’s time to wake up? It’s only-” Seokjin cast a quick glance at the clock hanging by the door. “-5.30? Namjoon set the alarm at 6.30.” “Oh?” Jungkook said, voice sounding a little confused. “But the music- Oh. Hoseok hyung.”

Seokjin thought the exact same thing. Like, who else?

He then got out of the comfort of the bed to shoo Jungkook back into his room to sleep. However, when he pushed open the door with the younger behind him, Jimin was also awake, sitting cross-legged atop the mattress. The only source of light came from the phone Jimin was using.

Seokjin flicked the light switch near the door post before adding, “Jimin don’t use your phone in the dark.” “Yes hyung,” the younger answered as he put away his phone and lay back down on the bed, sighing into the pillow.

“Why do we have to wake up so early…?” Jimin asked afterwards, voice clearly tired even though it was muffled. Behind him, Jungkook grouched, “It wasn’t Namjoon hyung. I think it’s Hoseok hyung.”

By now, Seokjin was more than ready to storm into the last room which was what he did a few minutes later. He thought to himself, How is Joon even surviving inside there?

He rapped his knuckles against the wooden material and yelled, “Jung Hoseok keep it down!” A voice whined loudly, “Hyung I swear it’s not me! It’s Taehyung!” “I don’t care! Whoever’s playing the song please shut it off now!” Seokjin answered sternly. “Do any of you hear me?!”

There was a series of muffled shouts and conversation in the room followed by the sudden muting of the music. Before Seokjin could walk away from the front of the door in relief, a voice clearly belonging to Namjoon screeched, “Oh my god Taehyung get off me! Hoseok help- Aack-”

After that, the room went eerily silent with mischievous laughter echoing in the background.

Seokjin hunched his shoulders forward in resignation as he tilted his head upwards to heave out a sigh. Well, here goes saving Kim Namjoon from crazy team mates 101.

Reaching out a hand to turn the door knob, Seokjin peered into the room. Their room was fairly simple, a double decker bed and a single bed lining two faces of the room, a large round table in the middle for working on things and a bathroom (they got the master).

“My dears, where is Namjoon?” he asked the two figures sleeping on the same bed, bodies hidden under the blanket.  The other bed was empty. Their breathing was quiet and peaceful, but Seokjin knew better than that. “Tae, Hobi. Get out of there.”

No movement.

Suddenly, Seokjin heard a muffled thud from the bathroom door and he sighed. In a swift action, he unlocked the bathroom door and as expected, he found a gagged up Namjoon in the bathtub.

“Mmmmhngggggg. Hiiuuung!” the younger shouted (kind of) through the gag which was conveniently a dinosaur plush. Seokjin glanced at Namjoon in the eye and gave him a ‘really?’ look. When Namjoon made a few more squeamish protests, Seokjin bent forward in further resignation to remove the cuffs which were made of bandages, followed by the plush.

Namjoon spat out a bit of toy fluff before thanking the older, “Thanks, hyung.” Before Seokjin could reply, Namjoon bolted out of the bathtub seething in anger. He pulled open the bathroom door noisily and yelled, “You two are going to get it from me!”

Screaming in their high pitched tones, Hoseok and Taehyung jumped out of the bed in a flurry just as Namjoon made a dash at them. “You two little ers stay right where you are!” he shouted. Taehyung grabbed Hoseok’s arm and ran out of the room.

Seokjin smiled at the scene as he folded his arms. Just this once he knew he didn’t have to intervene. When Namjoon got mad, it was 110% mad. He then followed after the trail of destruction outside.

“Jiminie! Open up the door! Kookie! Kookieeeee!”

“Go away.”

“Namjoon hyung is going to murder us-”

“Oh I will let him murder you two,” Seokjin announced cheerily. “I’ll let him do that first, then it’ll be my turn.” Namjoon turned up at his side still fuming and Seokjin could feel the waves of anger radiating away from his head. It gave him confirmation that the leader would actually be able to handle the kids extremely well this time round and Seokjin turned up his smile a notch higher at that thought.

Trapped outside the door, Taehyung and Hoseok had nowhere else to go. If they went into his and Yoongi’s shared room, it would do nothing but warrant another death sentence. They stood as still as statues as Namjoon towered over them.

Inside the room, Jimin leaned against Jungkook with head pressed on his shoulder as they both listened to the conversation outside. They could and should be sleeping, but the drama that was unfolding outside was too entertaining to do anything else but listen.

“…Hoseok you’re going back to the roller coaster.”

A lot of screeching.

“And Taehyung, give me your phone.”

Cue even more screeching.

Jimin whispered in awe beside Jungkook, “Savage. Mum and Dad have gone cray this time. Tae can’t live a second without his phone.” “Hyung you aren’t much better,” Jungkook pointed out as he pushed Jimin’s head away from his shoulder. “Go back to your bed, hyung.”

Just then, the screen of the little device sitting on the bedside table lit up and Jimin picked it up. As the older read the message, he said in surprise, “Oh! It’s Yoongi hyung!” The mention of their usually ten-ten-would-sleep-through-an-explosion older peaked Jungkook’s interest.

“Huh? What did he say?”

“Kookie it’s on the group chat.”

“Oh.”

 

Yoongsuga hyung:

Are they seriously punishing Taehyung and Hoseok?


Jiminie hyung:

Yeaaaaah
Totally saaaaavage.


Me:

Hyung you’re awake?


Yoongsuga hyung:

Yeah. Was a little pissed off at first when I heard the music
Then realised I couldn’t pass off a chance at those two getting scolded.


Jiminie hyung:

xD Yoongi hyung you’re the best


Yoongsuga hyung:

Duh.
Anyway, I think today’s the day where Nams and Seokjin act the most mum and dad like
 

 

Jungkook couldn’t agree with the older more. Just then, his phone buzzed again and he picked it up to look at the new message.

 

Jin hyung:

Good morning Min Yoongi
I’m glad that you’re awake at 6.00am.
Just to let you know that I’ll be waking you up at this time from now on


Yoongsuga hyung:

Whatever.

WAIT WHAT THE ??!


Me:

Jin mum you da best ;)

 

 


A/N: euuughhhhhhhh *incoherent mumbling* *sorry for word spam here* *this chapter has close to 3k*- Try to guess which member I'm writing next!