Chapter 3

From Romania with Love

Chanyeol woke up to the smell of something burning. Like, seriously burning. He actually thought that he was still dreaming: he was fifteen again and setting his stove on fire trying to warm up a soup for his mother who had come down with a cold. He briefly turned to the other side, but the mattress had visibly deflated, making him lie on the hard ground and what’s worse, the smell didn’t go away. If anything, it only intensified.

 

He cracked one eye open, it was still quite dark as the entrance to the tent was zipped. Chanyeol looked around and Baekhyun was nowhere in sight. Cold sweat washed over the former, making him jump up immediately and get out of the shelter, tripping over the sleeping back on the way.

 

And there he was. Baekhyun was frantically running around the grill, awkwardly trying to stamp on the fire that escalated and found its way out of the grilling bowl, probably thanks to the sparks that were flying everywhere. Chanyeol stopped in his tracks for a second to get a grip of the situation.

 

‘Ouch!’ It took a second of Chanyeol’s hesitation, though, for Baekhyun to touch something and burn himself. He seemed to have given up on trying to contain the fire and sat aside, softly in pain. Chanyeol huffed, before taking the bucket of sand prepared by one of them the night before and throwing it evenly over the flames. It died down quickly.

 

‘What the hell are you doing?!’ He sat down next to Baek, forcefully gripping his hand to see the aftermath. Baekhyun yelled in pain, tears in his eyes. The other three had just emerged from their respective tents. Chanyeol saw a genuine fear in the younger’s eyes and immediately felt guilty for yelling at him. ‘What are you doing, Baekhyun?’ He repeated, more softly this time and it made Baekhyun look up.

 

‘I just- just wanted to be helpful.’ He had managed to calm himself and only the blush remained, a sign of a wounded pride and embarrassment. ‘And prepare breakfast.’

 

Chanyeol decided not to comment on that, since one thing that he knew was that one should never mess with was a man’s dignity. Baekhyun was enough humiliated as it was.

 

‘Let’s get this cleaned up, shall we? Minseok, can you fetch the first aid kit, please?’ He turned to his friend who was already looking for it in his car’s boot. Trust Minseok to be the most responsible one.

 

‘Don’t worry, sweetie, no one was going to eat grilled meat for breakfast.’ Luhan assured with a smile, looking at what was left of his new grilling equipment. ‘We’ll just buy a new grill.’ He decided.

 

‘I’ll buy it.’ Baekhyun volunteered before Chanyeol cut him off:

 

‘You don’t have any money, remember?’

 

‘But…’ It was true.

 

‘Are you sure you’re Korean? Have you never eaten kalbi? I thought everyone in Korea knew how to handle a grill…’ Chanyeol continued. He just couldn’t help himself. He didn’t dislike Baekhyun, in fact, the journey was really pleasant with him on board, making them laugh every single minute with something he said or did but… Suspicion didn’t leave him. Something felt really wrong about the younger.

 

‘Oh, come on, Chanyeol. Leave the poor boy alone.’ Yifan interrupted, which was unusual for him. Three pairs of brows rose and Baekhyun’s furious face turned to him. He rose from his seat.

 

‘I am not a boy.’ He denied categorically. He hated when the others pointed out his young age, he’d heard it before, murmured behind his back. No matter the intention, it was shameful.

 

The silence was deafening, only interrupted by the hiss of the dying sparks. Chanyeol couldn’t decide what was more awkward: Yifan trying to defend somebody or that somebody turning hostile towards him. But he had to admit that Baekhyun was no boy. He had a young face indeed, and the impression was intensified with the permanent expression of wonder and naivety adorning it. But he was also quite tall and had a well defined physique. Standing straight like that, his chin straight up and his face serious, he looked... Chanyeol just couldn’t pinpoint the right word. But as if he were born to do it. As if he had spend his entire life with his back straight and his aura one of respect and authority.

 

And god, wasn’t that exactly Chanyeol’s type.

 

Before his thoughts wandered off completely, the latter stood up as well and said:

 

‘No one is calling you a boy. Right, Yifan?’ Since he was now out of Baekhyun’s sight, Chanyeol desperately motioned at Yifan with his head. This was not the way to treat a guest, who happened to be a stranger… and who might also have connections to the underground. That was the only thing that came to his mind when thinking about what just happened. Baekhyun looked… kind of dangerous.

 

‘Right… I mean, of course. It was just a figure of speech, sorry.’

 

‘Apology accepted.’ Baekhyun looked at him, nodding once. His whole authority dissolved in a second though, when he turned to Chanyeol, puffing his cheeks awkwardly. ‘What do we do about breakfast?’ He almost pouted. Chanyeol was at a loss. Did he just dream the other Baekhyun? ‘Well?’

 

‘We can go to the city. Should be good to grab some coffee before heading to the mountains. I’ve heard it’s pretty cold up there, even now.’ Minseok sat down next to the youngest and expertly wrapped the burn on his left wrist. Baekhyun didn’t protest.

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

It was relatively easy to avoid recognition in such a small town. In the twenty minutes they were walking, he spotted only one newspaper stand and it was too far away for anyone to see anything. Nobody paid them any heed; if anything, the passers-bys’ gaze always lingered longer on either Luhan or Yifan. It made Luhan smirk with pleasure and Yifan scoff with disapproval.

 

They opted for a pastry shop and a coffee, and sat down on the main square. The weather was just right.

 

‘Are you sure you’re going to finish this, Baekhyun-ah? It’s sweet as hell.’ Luhan voiced out what everyone was thinking as they looked incredulously at their new companion, gulping down the entire jar of raspberry shake like his life depended on it.

 

‘Coffee would be better, I think.’ Minseok suggested, silently proposing a sip as he rised his cup. Baekhyun shook his head.

‘I hate black coffee. They make me drink it at home.’

 

‘Why?’ It was Chanyeol’s turn. For the past day and a half, one of them would always break down and ask this question. Sometimes what Baekhyun said made absolutely no sense to them.

 

‘Because that’s what real men drink. Not a juice, or a shake. Or anything sweet. Just coffee. Or water. I can’t remember the last time I had something sweet.’

 

Baekhyun’s voice didn’t sound the happiest so they decided to drop it. Even if once again, they were at a loss.

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

Baekhyun was currently holding Chanyeol’s hand and his heart was beating super fast. It didn’t matter that it was only for a few moments and he would let go once they climbed up the stairs. He felt exactly how he had that morning, when he woke up and found Chanyeol lying on top of him. Baekhyun’s pupils had widened at the sight and his breath had become uneven. Even now, his face was in flames just at the thought of it.

 

But he liked it. He had giggled breathlessly, thinking that one of them must have been very clingy while sleeping – he couldn’t decide who that might be, since he had never slept with anyone in the same bed before. He had allowed himself to stay that way for another five minutes, sniffing at Chanyeol’s own soapy scent and imagining what it would be like to fall asleep together every night and wake up tangled in each other’s limbs the next day. With anyone really, but in particular – with this man. His parents slept in separate bed chambers and Baekhyun knew that things weren’t good between them. Any sign of affection or warmth was always taken as a sign of weakness. Something that the first generation of the reinstalled royal family couldn’t have.

 

He had then left the bed, dressing up quickly, looking at the sleeping Chanyeol. He couldn’t believe how fast he grew fond of the taller, maybe even fell in love with him. Baekhyun didn’t know whether it was a crazy idea or not. The only love he ever saw was in old Hollywood films when it took barely one look, one smile for the feelings to grow. If it was ok for Audrey Hepburn or Gregory Peck, then it was surely all right for His Royal Highness Prince Baekhyun of South Korea. It had to be, because that was all he was going to get.

 

He had briefly wondered whether maybe it was just thankfulness on his part. Or maybe desperation. He wouldn’t be surprised, honestly, but he dismissed it after a while. He was close with his friend Sehun and with some of the male guards, even with one of his younger arithmetic teacher but he never felt this way towards any of them. Those people, no matter how familiar, were always on his father’s side. No one would go against king’s wishes. They were reliable but to an extent. Chanyeol, on the other hand, had many qualities that Baekhyun also recognised in his father; however, the younger presented an entirely different approach. He managed to stay himself while at the same adhering to his moral code and never bending his own rules. His father had completely sold his soul to his position, being the king he thought he had to be and never sparing even one minute to be a father to his children. Or a husband to his wife. Or anything that didn’t involve executing his royal duties. Baekhyun hated him for that.

 

Baekhyun wondered what Chanyeol would do, should he face the king. Were they lovers, would he feel scared and run away? Somehow, Baekhyun didn’t think so but he couldn’t get rid of the little seed of doubt that he always carried in himself. If only for a little while, he wanted to trust somebody completely. But he didn’t know if he could, if he was even able to. He had been disappointed way too many times.

 

Baekhyun pushed those dark thoughts away as he climbed to the top in silence. They had to leave the car behind because of the crowd occupying the road. He was not in the palace. He was here now, holding Chanyeol’s warm hand. Chanyeol was smiling at him and saying something.

 

‘What?’ Baekhyun finally answered confused, blinking rapidly. The fog was hard to see through. Chanyeol chuckled.

 

‘I said, you’re awfully quiet. Look ahead. We’re here.’

 

So Baekhyun looked. And looked, his mouth hanging ajar in concentration. Finally he frowned.

 

‘... I can’t see anything.’ He finally admitted.

 

‘Good. I was already worried that you tripped over one too many times and something shut down in your brain. But at least your sense of perception is still working.’ Chanyeol chuckled again and Baekhyun smiled.

 

They were on a flat ground now, but Baekhyun had no intention of letting Chanyeol’s hand go and Chanyeol made no attempt to make it happen, either. Perhaps, after all of those falls and the necessity to hold Baekhyun’s hand so that the younger didn’t fall off some cliff, Chanyeol felt the need to him safely to wherever it was that they were going.

 

‘Look down or straight, unless you want to fall again.’ Chanyeol looked sideways and smirked at him. Baekhyun blushed. He was caught staring at Chanyeol’s profile. He hung his head in shame. ‘Look.’ Chanyeol said again, after a while. Baekhyun only shook his head, which made Chanyeol laugh once again. ‘No, seriously, look.’

 

And what a sight it was. Bâlea lake. It took Baekhyun’s breath away, especially at this hour. It was still foggy and he realised there were just mere centimetres away from the shore. But either way, the view was astonishing.

 

Chanyeol felt happy, looking at Baekhyun’s excitement. He’d been here before, in fact he’d been to all the places they’ve gone to so far but he didn’t remember even being this excited or interested in them. Even now, he would rather watch Baekhyun. Despite the younger’s strange bipolarity, it was hard not to like him.

 

Chanyeol was normally never the one to have this overwhelming urge to protect and take care of somebody. That was always Minseok’s thing. But being with Baekhyun was fun, despite all his helplessness, and Chanyeol saw that his confusion was due to the novelty rather than inability to deal with it. Baekhyun was strange, but from the bits and pieces Chanyeol managed to put together during those two days, it seemed that the younger didn’t have an easy life. Chanyeol decided to write the younger’s behaviour off as a result, not the origins of the problem.

 

As they were snacking at the nearby stalls, something that Baekhyun dreaded happened. One of the sellers was looking at him as he was choosing his food. Baekhyun felt the man’s eyes on himself and he grew uncomfortable. He saw the other taking out a newspaper.

 

His face was on the cover. All of this happened in a split second.

 

‘Principele!’ the other shouted, and although it didn’t turn out to have a desired impact due to the overall noise, Baekhyun took three steps back, before turning away completely and quickly walking away, hoping to get lost in the mass ahead.

 

It didn’t take a Romanian language expert to figure out that he was discovered. Prince. Baekhyun wondered if any of his new friends heard that scream. He didn’t have a clue whether they were behind him and where he was going now. All he cared about was to get away from that person, whom he couldn’t even hear anymore but still, he had to get away. He just wasn’t prepared to give up his freedom yet.

 

After what he had experience here, would he ever be?

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun was nowhere in sight. Chanyeol had turned around for a moment, waiting for his meal but had been eying the nearby stall where Baekhyun discovered something else. It took just a second… And now the younger was gone. He approached the stall, calling out his name several times but to no avail.

 

‘Have you…’ He started in English but quickly gave up because clearly not only did the seller not know any English but he was also in a frenzy, shouting at his companion and waving a newspaper in the air. Chanyeol closed his month and stalked away. There was no point, he was on his own.

 

Giving up on his sausage completely, he looked around. Suddenly he felt a hand on his shoulder.

 

‘Baekhyun, for god’s sake, you don’t know-‘ He stopped mid way as he came face to face with Yifan. The other frowned.

‘What happened?’

 

‘I can’t find Baekhyun.’

 

‘You’ve lost him? Are you out of your mind?’ Chanyeol took a step back and frowned. Baekhyun wasn’t the only one crazy, apparently; Chanyeol’s friend was also turning mental.

 

‘What’s wrong? Why is Yifan shouting?’ Minseok and Luhan appeared next to the other two.

 

‘Chanyeol’s lost Baekhyun.’ Yifan replied sourly.

 

‘You’ve lost him? Chanyeol!’ Luhan got mad almost instantly.

 

‘What’s wrong with you, guys?’

 

‘What’s wrong with us? What’s wrong with you. He’s our guest, he has no clue about anything here. He could have been kidnapped in the middle of the street and sold for human trafficking and nobody would have even bat an eye. He could have fallen off the cliff. Anything could have happened. It’s Baekhyun.’ Luhan accused, angry, and Chanyeol had no response to that. It was all true.

 

He had spent three days with Baekhyun and he knew him well enough to recognise it. Truly, anything could have happened. Chanyeol felt the dread washing all over him.