Chapter 4

Ellipsis

Death wasn't as painful as Kyungsoo thought it would be. Even being engulfed by the flames of the meteor didn't make Kyungsoo cry out in pain. Another thing that didn't meet his expectations was the afterlife.

He woke up in a white room, like a large majority of the stories had said, but things weren't quite right. For starters, the ship was brought with him, and he was still wearing the same clothes. Weren't all other objects meant to disappear and for the deceased to be dressed in non-descript white clothing? Was this limbo? Heaven? He couldn't imagine it being Hell.

Although, his first memory of this place was an intense heat, so nothing was confirmed as of yet.

The first person, or creature, or even being that he saw was an individual not unlike the humans. Except its face had no expression. If Kyungsoo had to use a singular word to describe it, it would be monotone.

But they shared a connection in those moments where it stood outside the ship and Kyungsoo sat inside. Is this my guide to the afterlife? Is it an angel?

Then all too soon his guide left and others replaced it. These ones didn't give Kyungsoo the same feeling as the first one did. These ones were dressed in black, full body clothing and if Kyungsoo was being honest, he found them intimidating.

Unknowingly, Kyungsoo yearned for the curious creature that he met when he first arrived. He didn't know anything about this place, and he wasn't sure if the others around him were hostile, but something about that first worker seemed so... pure. Serene almost. That is why Kyungsoo had a hard time believing that this place had a potential for being Hell. Rather than pondering further, Kyungsoo decided that for the time being, he would assume this place was Limbo.

The people in full body black clothing took him to another room, this time he was not overheating and rather they were ensuring his comfort. He wondered what their motives were, or what he was supposed to do in this situation. All he knew was that the guide would have the answers. At least, he hoped it would.

When Kyungsoo was conscious enough to communicate, they gave him a liquid to drink that seemed like Limbo's equivalent to water, and he asked, "Where are they?"

Kyungsoo wasn't sure if the creatures in Limbo had genders.  He supposed they would if the plane was directly linked to Earth. But... he hadn't died on Earth. He had died in space. So what was the correlation between this place and his home planet?

They seemed to understand though, looking at one another before speaking back to him. At least he knew they understood him and spoke his language.

"Are you referring to the worker who discovered you?".

Kyungsoo nodded, he supposed that was a description of his guide.

"I would like to see them".

The others communicated with one another once more and left the room. Kyungsoo stared after them, wondering who the next person through the door would be.

He didn't have to wonder long, one of the people from before returned and informed him that the worker that discovered him would be here shortly. Until then, Kyungsoo did not speak to them or try to communicate further. That could wait until after he had met the guide.

 

"You enquired about me?"

Kyungsoo nodded, he wasn't sure why his guide, who had introduced itself as Worker 5268, had abandoned him when they first met.

"Why did you leave me?".

Worker 5268 blinked, no other form of expression on its face, "I was not authorised to approach your ship".

Not authorised? But it approached the ship anyway.

It seemed Worker 5268 was aware of this too, as it took a sideways glance at one of the walls. What Kyungsoo was not aware of was that the wall had one-way transparency.

"I don't want to be left alone again. I don't know what's going on here, I don't know this place". Kyungsoo didn't know a lot of things, and the more he spoke the more questions that built up.

Worker 5268 did not seem to understand him. The other workers behind the wall spoke amongst one another, already deciding Worker 5268's fate before he knew it.

"You are not from here", Worker 5268 spoke. It was a statement rather than a question, and it left Kyungsoo confused. Shouldn't it know I'm not from here?

"Correct, I'm not from here. But you are. Aren't you meant to explain things to me and show me around?".

Worker 5268 looked at the wall more pointedly now, trying to convey his lack of understanding to the other workers. They did not understand either, but if they hoped to understand they needed Worker 5268 to continue to bond with the creature, with Kyungsoo.

"I have not been prepared for this situation", Worker 5268 informed Kyungsoo, and then he understood.

Ah, my guide must be a first-timer. I'm its first assignment huh? 

"It's alright, I understand. I'll just stick with you until you figure it out and then you can help me figure it out".

Worker 5268 blinked again. Kyungsoo thought it appeared stunned.

"I'm Kyungsoo", he decided to start off with something easy for his guide to understand.

Worker 5268 looked like he didn't understand that either. Why would this creature give out his birth name so freely? Didn't it know the implications?

"Do you have a name? Other than Worker... whatever it is?".

"Worker 5268".

Kyungsoo snorted to himself, "I guess that's a no on the name thing".

"We do not give out our names as freely as you do here".

Kyungsoo didn't understand, but Worker 5268 seemed like it did not wish to discuss the matter further. Kyungsoo decided to try and memorise the number. 5268.

"Do you have a gender?".

Worker 5268 tilted its head to the side in thought, "Are you asking me my biological status?".

Kyungsoo paused to think for a moment, "I think I am?".

"I am male"

Kyungsoo nodded. Perhaps this Limbo wasn't too different from the Earth he knew. Although he made a mental note not to mention his name again. He wasn't sure why Worker 5268 seemed so alarmed over it, but it made Kyungsoo cautious nonetheless.

Kyungsoo had so many questions that he wasn't sure where to start, but Worker 5268 spoke before he did.

"Are you injured?"

Kyungsoo looked down at the bed he lay on and around the room at what appeared to be medical equipment, "Not that I'm aware of". Kyungsoo suddenly remembered something. "Is your hand alright?".

Worker 5268 looked down at his hand and showed it to Kyungsoo.

The otherwise perfect skin was marred with large pink lines that looked vaguely like scars to Kyungsoo.

"Wow, you... you heal fast?".

Worker 5268 put his arm back down by his side, "It is of little importance".

Kyungsoo opened his mouth to speak again, but paused. If this was Limbo, he would have the rest of his existence to ask questions. For now, he wanted to see something other than the same four walls.

"So, when can I get out of here?".

Worker 5268 didn't answer him.

At that moment, the door to the room opened and someone beckoned Worker 5268 out. Worker 5268 cast one last glance at Kyungsoo before the door closed, leaving him alone once more.


I have a feeling I'm going to be going back and editing these chapters heavily once this story is done. Eh D: