Chapter 3

Ellipsis

The medical unit overwhelmed Jongin's senses, beeping machines, heavily aromatic chemicals and bright lights were just some of the reasons. This wasn't the first time Jongin had been to the medical unit, but it wasn't something he was accustomed to. Anything deviating from the norm of his day-to-day life left Jongin almost confused. If he was able to feel confused, that is.

A medical worker was by his side in an instant, scanning the electronic bracelet around his wrist and identifying his worker number.

"What is your reason for visiting, 5268?"

Jongin held up his searing hand, "The cooling system of the white room was ineffective this time. I was unaware".

The medical worker examined his hand briefly before leading him to an unoccupied section. If Jongin were to look around he would see many other patients with various injuries, some mundane and others bizarre. But Jongin wouldn't look around so carelessly, he lacked the curiosity.

However, that wasn't entirely true. His newfound curiosity was reserved for one singular being, and that one was in a private room outside of Jongin's reach. He sat there mindlessly as the medical worker cared to his injury.

"Have you reported this?", the medical worker asked him.

Jongin blinked, reporting the injury should have been high on his list of priorities. "I was relieved from my duty today, this injury will not affect my work".

The medical worker took a break from Jongin's hand to interact with a nearby computer.

"Understood. They have been informed regardless".

Jongin nodded, this was the appropriate course of action.

"Your injury may not affect your work, however there is damage to the skin that in this point in time, is irreparable".

Jongin looked at his hand, "...I require a further explanation".

"Your hand will not return to its former appearance. It will function as normal and the healing process has been sped up exponentially, but your hand will be scarred".

"Understood", Jongin looked away from his hand and to the medical worker. If the injury did not affect his work, it had little meaning to him.

"Check back in 3 days time, until then avoid any overly strenuous activity".

Jongin nodded and left the medical unit without so much as a sideways glance at anything else. The creature was not in this room and Jongin's curiosity had not been sated, however there was nothing Jongin could do within his authorisation.

He wandered through the halls until he came upon the room that he had been assigned. Waiting here until further instruction was the best course of action.

Jongin sat on his bed and stared at the wall, his mind blank.

That was, until the communications device in his room emitted a sharp beep. Someone wished to communicate with Jongin.

He accepted the call.

"Worker 5268, what's your status?".

"Available for communication", Jongin automatically replied.

"The creature that you encountered within the white room has recovered enough for consciousness".

Jongin was unaware why they were giving him this information; he did not have the authorisation for such news.

"It appears that your brief encounter has resounded with the creature and now it is enquiring about your location".

"I do not understand".

"We wish to know more about this creature, further details are confidential. However, we believe that this creature may be willing to give information if we are willing to offer up something it enquires after, namely, you".

"You wish for me to visit the creature?"

"Correct. Your encounter will be monitored and guards will be nearby in the event of any danger".

Jongin paused for a moment, the creature wished to meet him?

Perhaps as much as he wished to meet it.

"Understood. My current course of action?".

"Wait at your current location and a guard will guide you to the location"

"Understood".

The communication ended there with another sharp beep. Jongin waited in his room with more and more curiosity in his heart.

 

☆☆☆

 

The room that Jongin was lead to was not one that he had ever visited before; he had had no need to visit such a room. Rather than being in the medical unit, the creature was transferred to another area of the building with numerous medical workers bustling around. The worker that contacted Jongin was waiting there inside a room with a large glass panel. From her identification bracelet, Jongin became aware that she worked in a sector Jongin was not aware of.

"I am worker 23", she introduced herself to Jongin.

"Worker 5268".

Jongin had not met an individual with such a low number before, however he lacked the curiosity to ponder about it further.

"The creature is in there", Worker 23 gestured to the adjoining room, the one that the glass panel was connected to. "We will be in this room, overseeing the interaction. If you wish to leave the room, inform us and we will remove you".

Jongin nodded, his mission objectives were clear.

Without much further ado, Worker 23 opened the door to the creatures' room and once Jongin entered, closed the door behind him.

Jongin approached the bed cautiously; the creature's eyes were closed and he seemed to be resting. The uneven breathing of the creature hinted that was not the case.

"I am Worker 5268", Jongin introduced himself.

What was the correct procedure here? Jongin was unaware.

The creature in the bed remained unresponsive.

"I am the one who discovered you".

This forced a reaction out of the creature. Slowly, his eyes opened and he stared at Jongin accusingly. Jongin, however, was unaware of the emotion behind the creature's eyes and continued to stare at him.

"Can you understand me?".

The creature blinked unhelpfully.  Jongin decided to ask another question.

"Do you have an identification number?".

The creature's brows furrowed, confused.

"You enquired about me?".

The creature looked Jongin in the eyes and slowly, nodded. 

 


Slightly shorter chapter than usual; I ended up writing too much for this chapter and decided to split it in two.

Thank you for reading, and don't forget to comment! ^^ <3