The Date Counter

My Sister's Keeper

 

The Date Counter

“That was unexpected.” Teddy Park said curtly.

Dara Park held her tongue, shrugging instead in response. She knew her brother was about to give her a long speech on her bad choices and lack of direction. It was a speech she has heard several times before. She heard t so often, even Jiyong had it memorized. Her brother sighed as he caught her reaction.

“You are very lucky, Sandara.” He said, eyes squinting in disappointment. “Mr. Choi is a very good man. To have him interested despite your behaviour is a miracle.”

She looked away, still choosing to keep mum.

“I am sick and tired of you sabotaging your own future.” Teddy hissed as he saw her disinterest. “You are lucky that Jiyong is looking after you. What would you do if he gets tired, huh?”

Dara looked up at him in alarm, the possibility never occurring to her.

“What?” Teddy scoffed, leaning back against his chair. “You never thought of it? Jiyong is a grown man. The last time I checked, he never signed up to be your nanny. What happens if he decides to get a life that doesn’t involve babysitting you?”

“He...” Dara stammered her face indignant but her feelings confused. “He will never get tired of me.”

Teddy raised his brow, knowing that despite the assured look she had on her face, his sister doubts her own statement. Sighing again at his sister’s stubbornness, he stood and looked out his window.

“Oh well,” He said in conclusion, “Just make sure you get ready at 8pm for Mr. Choi.”

Dara didn’t speak. She stood up, removed her heels, and walked out of the room barefoot. Teddy sighed again, patiently watching her from the window as she stormed out the building.

“Maybe someday you’ll thank me for this, Duchess.” He said to himself.

-

Dara sighed heavily as she turned the key to her apartment door. Treaded with heavy limbs as she walked toward the living room sofa where she knew her best friend sat lazily sprawled, with feet resting on the nearby coffee table. With a frown and tearful eyes, she looked down at him and stood motionless in front of him. Kwon Jiyong, who was busy watching television, looked up the moment she obstructed his view—knowing all too well that she was upset.

He sat upright at the sight of her watery eyes. He reached for her hand and pulled her to him, causing her to fall over his lap.  Dara quickly curled up comfortably, hugging his arm as she buried her face against his neck.

“What’s wrong, D?” He whispered against her hair, her back reassuringly as she started sobbing.

She shook her head in response, not willing to talk about it yet. Jiyong smiled weakly and hugged her tight, understanding that it was what she needed.

“You know, I was actually expecting more of a violent rampage when you come back.” He whispered teasingly, “Teary eyes were far down the list of my expected reactions.”

She laughed softly, sitting upright to look at him. “That’s the thing, it may have been the last one you’d expect me to do, but you know it’s a possibility. You know me well.” She responded seriously.

“Well, I should.” He smirked as he held her hand gave it an assuring squeeze. “I knew you since forever. I actually think I know you better than I know myself.”

They laughed. It was probably true too. Feeling better, Dara decided to fill Jiyong in with how her meeting went. At the end of her story, Jiyong frowned in thought. Dara watched carefully, knowing that at that specific moment, the wheels of his mind were turning to process all the events she has just shared.

The two of them have always been complete opposites. Jiyong was the quiet, deep and perspective one; while she was the loud, out-going and spontaneous half. Teddy was right in saying that Jiyong has been looking out for her. In fact Dara thought that most of the good choices she has made, she did because of Jiyong’s advice.

“Two points,” Jiyong said in comprehension. “One, that Seunghyun guy was definitely challenged by the way you have brusquely rejected him. That’s why he decided to take you out.”

“That figures,” She agreed sombrely, her thumb idly tracing circles at the back Jiyong’s hand. “He looked like a narcissistic man.”

“And two,” Jiyong continued, ignoring her commentary. “You didn’t have to cry, D, there is no way in hell I’ll get tired of looking after you.” He added sincerely.

Dara smiled, facing him for a tight hug.

“Besides,” Jiyong teased, “Who’s going to help you out of all those unwanted dates, huh? Who’s going to pretend to be the creepy gay best friend?”

Dara laughed, remembering that particular trick.

That was Date 3: Lee Min Ho. The guy was so homophobic. The guy practically scrammed the moment Dara says Jiyong was gay and he had a crush on him.

“And I wouldn’t want you to force strangers into kissing you just so you blow off one date.” He added, haughtily reminding her that he was coerced.

“Yah, that happened one time!” She screeched, hitting his arm indignantly, also recalling the incident. “I was just desperate at the time, okay?”

Date Number 16: Jang Wooyoung. Wooyoung was a very sweet and persistent guy. Nothing Dara did seemed to brush him off. It was only when Dara practically jumped Jiyong and made out with him in front of the poor boy did he decide to stop.

“Excuses, excuses,” He told her smugly, “And you kissed me more than once, remember?”

“I did not!” Dara huffed.

“Yes you did.” Jiyong smirked, folding his arms in front of his chest in confidence. “Date Number 20: Kim Jaejoong. You had Chaerin tell him I had STD and then planned for him to find us making out in bed.”

Dara rolled in laughter as she recalled the startled look on her ex’s face when she saw them. The guy was obsessive compulsive, and the thought of getting a degenerative disease was more than enough to shoo him away.

“Yeah, I remember now.” She said, nodding. “But it was, again, a desperate situation.”

Jiyong laughed along with her, tapping her thigh playfully. “You are making a habit of kissing me. You’re taking advantage of me too much.”

Dara rolled her eyes, punching his arm lightly to show her annoyance. Poking her tongue at him childishly, she stood up from him before stomping away in irritation. Despite her annoyed mood, she found herself smiling as she thought back to his assuring words.

“Ya Jiyongie,” She said, calling back to him, “I still haven’t forgiven you for literally shoving me into this dress. I still want to kill you.”

“You’re welcome, D.” He yelled back with a smile.