10.17.2007

(Kwon Jiyong's Diary) Journal

10.17.07

 

I just stare at Dara as she finishes her kimchi stew, which she bought after finding out she left her lunch back at her home. She did tell me to get one for myself, but I told her that I am too full as an excuse because I just wanted to see her eat.

She looks at me as she wipes her lips, her expression wary. “Aren’t you going to eat?” Dara asks after wiping .

“Listen.” I start, sighing. “I really—really want to help you.”

Dara looks at me, puzzled and her expression tingles every single cell inside my body. I must be crazy. How….how can I be so in love with this woman? Even I am appalled. “For? How did you know I wanted help for my org’s income generating project?”

“No, not that.” I shake my head, closing my eyes and my nose crunches. She might think of me as an overly attached and concerned boyfriend to even do this.

“About your mom…” My voice falters and I open my eyes to see her. She nods, telling me to go on.

“I….” I hold my breath. “I really want to meet her.”

Dara suddenly chuckles. “That’s it? Why do you have to talk like that?”

“And why are you two so awkward?”

We look up together and see Bom hovering us. Top’s behind her, holding a tray with maybe four plastic cups filled with milkshake. Bom sits beside Dara without asking, while Top occupies the space beside me.

“Makes sense, anyways. You’re just dating for 2 days. Both of you are really out of character.” Bom complains, handing out the milkshakes to each of us. “Jiyong’s too stiff and awkward. Dara’s trying her best to be this pure, bubbly, comfortable girlfriend which makes her more awkward.” She spares a look at both of us and sighs. “Come on. Be yourselves.”

“If we are, we’ll fight. You don’t know how much we fought when we were still partners.” I answer, taking a sip of my drink. And it tastes….so fine.

Bom nods. “But you were really comfortable right? Both of you will change over time but for the meantime, try to be as comfortable.”

“Or you try not be too overbearing.” Top suddenly joins in on the conversation. “You just say what you want.”

Bom glares at him.

Dara looks at me and shrugs. “Okay, if that’s what you want. She’s probably at home today because we cleared the flower shop last night. If you want, I can text her to meet you someplace else.”

I beamed at her. “Really? Can I bring my parents—“

Before I can finish my sentence, Bom throws a used tissue on me, hitting my handsome regal face. God, it will take me too much time to get rid of those germs. Dara gasps and mutters, “Hey, isn’t that—“

Top shakes his head. “Here we go again.”

“Yah, how many times I have to tell you that 2 days from dating meeting the parents is not allowed! It’s not allowed! What if the mother mistakenly—“

I take a deep breath and say, “It’s just a dinner with her mother. It doesn’t mean we are getting married suddenly!”

“Are you this controlling and issue-maker?” Dara spares a glance at Bom, her eyebrows knitted in between. “I didn’t even thought about it in a slight sense.”

Top agrees, bobbing his head up and down and says, “She does. She does, all the time.” He opens his hand and folds a finger as he counts. “She did when Jiyong wanted to meet his first girlfriend’s parents on the first date. She did when Jiyong wanted to meet her parents for a business matter. She did when Jiyong wanted to meet my parents for a business matter yet again. And she did in almost all occasions involving meeting the parents.” He shrugs. “She’s just weird like that.”

Dara spares a look at me and whispers, “I’ll just go text my mom.”

And that basically where Bom’s nagging issue ended.


So our parents met and contrary to popular culture (and novels, if I may add) my parents were all support for our relationship even if Dara and I didn’t click while we were French course partners. Her mother is as beautiful as her—but I have to say, Dara is more beautiful in my eyes. We had a nice talk and her mother gladly accepted after numerous nags from my mom (which she still calls my favorite customer) the job to be my father’s secretary. Although she had to cross out several benefits from the contract that she said was too much for a secretarial job.

As they chat away, I excuse myself to get some fresh air. Dara looks at me as I stand up, and I hold my hand to assure her I’m fine.

The night is colder than usual, as the season starts to finally change. I have to remind myself a couple of times that Dara tends to dress minimal during winter. I sit on one of the benches the restaurant laid for smoking guests (but today, I won’t smoke) and look at the sky above.

And I ask, why does the heavens have to drag Dara into the mess called Kwon Jiyong? Why does she have to suffer, or for the least—to cope up with me? I’m nothing but the man who never loved, never been loved or for the least know what is love.

“I’m just Kwon Jiyong.” I mutter, asking the heavens. But they must be too busy to answer even a small guy like me.

“And I’m just Sandara Park.”

I almost jump from my seat when Dara’s face suddenly comes into my view, hovering on top of me. I sit up, now facing forward and she walks over to my side. Even though it’s cold, she’s just wearing her sleeveless dress.

I sigh. “You don’t ever care.”

She smiles at me, sweetly and says, “Did you ever though?”

I laugh and take off my suit. “I’m pretty caring. You don’t just saw it when we were still partners.”

I placed it around her and smile at her. “Does this count?”

She shrugs.

I put my hand inside the suit to get something from one of the inside pockets. And then pulling it out, Dara grimaces at the bright pink scarf.

“It’s a gift for someone who doesn’t care about herself.” I murmur and wrap the scarf around her neck to make her feel warmer.

She laughs and holds both of my hands between hers. “This is a gift to someone who always cares.”

“Thank you.” I whisper and kiss her on the forehead. Dara, in return, kisses both of my hands. “Thank you for keeping up with me.”

Dara laughs. “It just has been two days!”

“I know.” I drop my head. “But there’s more to come.”

“You know what, my dragon.” She nudges and I look back at her pretty brown eyes. “It’s going to be fine.”

She pulls me into a hug, and yet again, I ask the heavens, that if what feels good is bad; then it’s fine for me to be a sinner if I stay in Dara’s arms for a while.