The Perfect Tea

The Perfect Tea

Tiffany walked back to the silhouette she saw on the rooftop earlier after going back to her apartment to make each of her delicious Thai tea; green tea and red tea; that the silhouette (recognizing who she is) also loved as she has been delivering it to the later for almost everyday. Walking slowly not wanting to annoy anyone who; she assumed; wanting some peace, she sits down next to the said girl showing both the drinks in front of her.

 

“I don’t really know which one you like… You and your friends seem to change menu each day.” The girl who have been sitting on the rooftop since god knows when looks at both of the drinks and then to Tiffany’s despondent face before replying,

 

“Which one do you like?”

 

“Urm to be honest, I prefer red tea just because it’s the nearest colour to pink. Green is just so out of the context you know…” chuckling, Jessica took the red tea and straight away sips through to straw tasting the sweet yet refreshing drink that certainly is not a disappointment to quench your thirst. “Just because you like red tea,” showing an amused face at Tiffany, Jessica, again, sips the drink.

 

Comfortable silence wrap around the atmosphere of the two on the rooftop as they feel the cold breeze of the night. None wanting to talk. Or rather, one was contemplating whether to start a conversation while the other just wasn’t a talker.

 

“Do you mind if I smoke?” asked the one who has been sitting on the rooftop the longest. Just then that Tiffany realized, the girl sitting right next to her have been accompanied by a box of cigarettes and by looking at the round white ashtray she had right next to her left leg, one or two cigarettes at a time is really not her forte.

 

“Well I do actually but I’m the one who invaded your time alone with your cigarettes so… go ahead.” Jessica scoots a little over to her left so Tiffany won’t have to deal with the secondary smoker problem. Taking one cigarette from the box written ‘Marlboro’, put it in between her lips and lighting it up with her fancy looking lighter, based on Tiffany’s thought. Tiffany is never fond of smokers but somehow looking at the girl on her left side makes the vibe so much different she got from other smokers around her daily life. Nevertheless, she still minds it. For Tiffany, smoking is a big no no.

 

“Why do you smoke?” seeing Jessica’s confused face, she explain further, “I mean some people smoke just because it looks cool… or they’re trying to decrease their stress level… or it’s just a daily routine or theirs. So what’s yours?”

 

Seeing Tiffany’s anticipating look on her face, the said girl put her cigarette back in between her lips, inhale the smoke and take it back away from her lips. Taking a moment to think, making the waiting girl’s patience worn out a little bit, Jessica looks back at Tiffany and smile, not a big one but surely not a small one. Just enough to make you feel that calm feeling from the smile.

“It started of with trying to decrease my stress level, as what you said it, then it became my daily routine. You can’t really stop straight away that moment you take it.”

 

And once again the rooftop was filled with silence. Just the sound of wind gushing from west that woke Jessica up from her trance making her stands up and collect her things, resulting to Tiffany giving her a confuse look.

 

“The wind’s blowing from my side. You shouldn’t get the smoke if I sit here.” Said Jessica while taking a sit next to Tiffany’s right side.

 

Some moments went by and at this point, Tiffany is already asleep next to Jessica with her head on the latter’s lap with Jessica’s blanket wrap around her body.

 

 

+++

 

 

*knock knock*

 

“I’m coming!” Jessica ran pass the hallway of the apartment to see who was at the door. Getting there in any second, she turned the knob clockwise resulting the beige wooden door to open. A girl with round spectacles, her long brown hair up in a ponytail, a simple baby pink t-shirt and shorts stood in front while holding 2 tall sized cup with both green colour liquid in it.

 

“Urm… I came to delivery the green tea… two green teas…?” the girl said, doubtfully, as she saw the person in front of her wasn’t much of a help in making her un-confuse. Though, the doubtful face changed to a surprise one due to a certain blonde suddenly decided to scream at the top of her lungs,

 

“YURI!”

 

“Yeah baby?” came the said girl. Long black hair with her sleeping attire on.

 

“Does green tea rings a bell?”

 

“OH YEAH! Let me get the money.”

 

“Stupid Yul. Here you go…” said another girl, a short one indeed, while handing the money to the delivery girl. She sips the drink while making her way to the television; watching the new series of Orphan Black; not before checking the girl outside of the house out. Thankfully only her friend realized it. The two standing at the door just look at the short girl without saying a word. Both showing a nonchalant face till one of them murmured, “…and they bought just two of it…”

 

Chuckling, the delivery girl looked at her company in pity. That pouty face of hers, how much she wanted it to go to away.

 

“I can make you another one if you want tho?”

 

“No! No. It’s fine. I can just take theirs.”

 

And since then ahead, the whole house has been ordering this particular Thai tea; given red or green; from this particular delivery girl.

 

 

+++

 

 

“JESSICA JUNG SOOYEON!”

 

“I’M OLD ENOUGH TO DO MY OWN THING! I DON’T NEED YOUR SUPERVISION ON EVERYTHING I DO! JUST WHY DO I HAVE TO LIVE THIS WAY?!”

 

“Because I am your mother and you’re ought to listen to me.”

 

With that sentence coming out from her mother’s mouth, Jessica took her things and stomp her feet to the front door.

 

“You’re not coming back once you’re out of that door Jessica…” the said girl stood straight near the door, tear’s betraying her ego that tried to look strong in front of her mother. Never once would she think of her mother saying such thing to her. All the memories they shared together ran through her mind right at that moment. How she wished her mother had never changed. How she would do anything just to get back to her old self. Her mother has always been the one Jessica looked up to. No matter in what position. Julia de Luna, her mother, the one person she loves the most.

 

Seconds after, thinking that she’d make the right choice, Jessica turned the knob and got out of the house, with now tears streaming down her face like a waterfall.

 

 

+++

 

 

“Do you come here often?” said Tiffany as she just arrived at the rooftop, once again seeing Jessica there all alone with her cigarettes. And again, Tiffany has brought that one thing that get them to meet each other; the teas. She handed Jessica the green tea while she sips the red one.

 

“You’re taking green today. I’m craving for the red one.” Jessica took the drink with a smile on her. She then scoots closer to Tiffany. Whispering a quiet ‘thank you’ from what she got. The girl has been appreciating Tiffany’s company nowadays. That one time they bump into each other on their way back home, instead they stopped by a small coffee, coincidentally ordering the same cup of coffee. Though not much conversation happened, both of them still figured that it was a fun; chilling night that one would want to have again. It has always been like that. Even if they just met each other a few times (just two of them), their kind of time together would be, less talk more actions. No words needed to make each other appreciate each other’s existence.

 

“So do you…?” asked Tiffany, again, referring to her first question towards Jessica.  Paying full attention to Jessica now, Tiffany twisted her body to fully face the sad faced company she’s having. Tiffany always thinks about that. Jessica is always so gloomy whenever Tiffany sees her alone. As much as she wanted to know the reason behind that frown, Tiffany knows better to keep her nose out of someone else’s business.

 

“It’s a nice place to be at don’t you think so?”

 

As she got the questions appointed at her, she looks around her surrounding. For the weeks that have past, Tiffany realizes how much time she has been spending on this rooftop. With this blonde girl. This comfortable cold breeze that she missed to feel when she decided to sleep in instead of spending time on the rooftop. The skyscrapers that, then, she never agrees on why people need to build such tall buildings. Until she a few days ago she sees how beautiful it is to get to see the world from above. One would be lying if they disagree the joy of that place. Even if they’re not, they definitely should focus more on their surrounding. This would be; what Tiffany calls; the nearest heaven you can go to. She smiles genuinely towards Jessica, her eye smiling together with her lips; she replied a soft ‘definitely’.

 

Hours later, as usual, Tiffany fell asleep on Jessica’s lap with her blanket wrapped around her.

 

 

+++

 

 

*knock knock*

 

The door of the house numbered 2 opens up right away. Having a short girl with her pajamas on standing there while holding some cash out.

 

“Here you go… Hey have you eaten? We’re having our dinner now. Wanna join?”

 

“Tae, give her time to answer. You’re asking too many questions.” Came another girl, who is much taller than the former.

 

“I would love to but I have somewhere to be at. Maybe next time…? If the offer is still open tho?”

 

“No problem.” With that said, Tiffany gave them a smile before turning her heels, walking back to where she’s planning to go.

 

Actually, since the time Tiffany got a text from her regular customer saying that they wanted only 2 cups of green tea, Tiffany’s mind have been drifted off to that one person who she has spent most of her time with for the pass few weeks. However, it’s been days, six to be exact; that Tiffany hasn’t been seeing that particular girl. Yes, saying that she misses her is a true statement. She misses her laugh, her lame jokes about random things, how she cared about Tiffany. To make it short, Tiffany misses her existence so much. Other than that, she’s also worrying too much at this point. Every single night, at the same usual time, she’ll go up to the rooftop to find no one that she wanted to see. Knowing how Jessica’s condition is. How she looks very depress every single night. No one in his or her right mind wouldn’t be worried. No matter how close they are to each other. And to Tiffany, they could be considered close enough, though Tiffany never bother to ask for the blonde’s contact number. Not even her name yet.

 

Tiffany makes way to sit at their usual place on the rooftop. Having two cups of red tea in her hand, hoping and praying that Jessica would come up behind her and say, “Sorry to keep you waiting”. But none happened. The hopes and prayers were never answered. And this has been the sixth days of Jessica-less.

 

Getting to sit alone gets Tiffany to think to herself. Why would she miss Jessica so much? Why DOES she like Jessica’s existence so much? When all they do when they were with each other wasn’t much a thing that you could tell someone about. But that was it. Being with Jessica, words didn’t matter, judgment was really never existed and being with her was never awkward though both of them just kept quite. Never, in Tiffany’s life, has she ever felt like that. It’s like a blessing in disguise. At first, she just thought that she’d be another customer of hers but she believes that god have different plan for her this time around.

 

To let the cat out of the bag, Tiffany knew, it wasn’t just feeling blissful. She had spent years living around that area and years since she have ever felt the way she felt with Jessica. Deep down, even when she tries to deny it, she knew she has a feeling for the blonde girl. A romantic one, that is. It was on that one day, they were watching a comedy movie and Tiffany saw Jessica smiles and heard her laughs. A really sweet and genuine one. Not just her smile. Some days after, she saw Jessica’s good deed with a homeless person on her way back home. And to list it all, it would be too much to tell you how much Tiffany has fallen for this girl. That is why not knowing where Jessica is gave her so much impact.

 

 

+++

 

 

Days have past. And when I mean days, it’s almost a fortnight and still no hint of Jessica. At this point, Tiffany started to have thoughts of giving up on waiting for Jessica. But everyone who’s been in love knows that when you’ve plant so much feeling for a person, it will never be that easy to let go of them. Though, in the first place, Jessica was never Tiffany’s… yet, that’s what she wanted to believe.

 

Tonight, will be the last night, I’m gonna go up there and if she isn’t there…then…I don’t know what I’ll do…, Tiffany thought. She’s getting eager. A fortnight not knowing where the blonde is is like something killing.

 

Inhaling deep, she gathers her courage, this time around hoping and praying much more than she had done for the past few days. She took the teas she had made, green and red as usual, and walks out of her apartment to the lift. Too bleak to use up her energy and walk up the stairs like usual. She pressed the highest level and waited for the lift to go up. Not forgetting to cross her fingers for good news.

 

Seeing the door of the lift opens up, Tiffany got out of the lift, stops infront of it. She closes her eyes, dear God, please always be on my side, she prayed. Tiffany opens her eyes, blinks a few times, inhaling deeply before walking to the rooftop.

 

 

That silhouette. The one I’ve been missing and wanting to see for two weeks. The smokes coming out from her mouths. It… it’s all there!

 

Tiffany pinched her hand trying to wake herself up but she felt it. She felt the pain and she wasn’t even sleeping. Definitely wide awake! She’s feeling so delighted and so pleased and everything that is the same meaning as very happy that she didn’t realize she accidentally let go of the cups of tea gaining attention from that girl she missed so much.

 

“Hey! Are you okay?!” asked Jessica as she stood up and walked up to the flabbergasted girl who’s now eyes welled with tears. It took Jessica’s another but simple ‘hey…’ to get the tears stream down her face. Seeing this, as if on cue, Jessica wiped the tears with her thumb then pulling Tiffany in her embrace. Tight yet soothing. Rubbing her hands on Tiffany’s back without saying a word, letting the girl to cool down.

 

“Where have you been? I’ve been waiting for you everyday… I miss you so much. Why we’re you gone for so long. I thought you left me here… I missed you so much… I really really miss you…” said Tiffany in between her tears as she hugged Jessica tighter. Not wanting to let her go this time. She continued crying not caring that she’s wetting Jessica’s shirt.

 

“I’m sorry. I had to go back to America to sort some things out. I missed you too. I really miss you too. Never been a day I didn’t think about you…” Jessica pulled back from the hug when she says those things to Tiffany. Looking directly into her eyes. Once again wiping Tiffany’s dear tears that have been streaming down too much for Jessica’s liking. Never will she ever want to see Tiffany crying like this. As much as it hurt Tiffany, it hurts Jessica too. The past few days have hurt her enough or being away from Tiffany without getting to contact her in any way. She. Doesn’t. Even. Know. Her. Name.

 

“Please stop crying…” Jessica pleaded softly towards Tiffany, “angels shouldn’t cry so much like this…” hearing that got Tiffany to chuckle at how cheesy Jessica is at that moment. She punches Jessica’s arm lightly despite still crying.

 

Jessica pulls Tiffany to their usual sitting spot on the rooftop. She wiped Tiffany’s tears and sat close to Tiffany, wrapping her arms around the latter’s shoulder pulling them close to each other. Tiffany takes Jessica’s blanket and wraps it around them.

 

“The stars tonight are overwhelming. It was never this much before.” Said Jessica and she looks up to the sky. Seeing the beautiful sky, with them sitting together underneath it, this is so much better for Tiffany. She thought this would make it up for being without the blonde girl for two weeks.

 

“…and they said good thing will happen when that happened…” Jessica paused then looks directly towards Tiffany who’s anticipating the girl to finish her sentence.

 

“I really don’t know how this happened or when but I went away to sort things with my family. It ended early but I stayed. I stayed because I wanted to figure out what happened to me…” Tiffany looks at Jessica without saying a word. She gave her a smile. Signing her to go on.

 

“For the past few weeks, I wasn’t as angry as I was before. I thought of that and I thought why? What happened? Because as far as I remember nothing has changed. But then the next day I thought of you…” hearing nothing from her company, she continued, “you changed me… you’re the one who brought me back to be who I was before. Every single night before sleep I would contemplate. Is this just because of you being nice to me or because I… really have fall for you?”

 

Tiffany couldn’t help but let out a smile on her face. Even her eyes were smiling together with her. And the moonlight shining her eyes. That was, without doubt, Jessica’s favourite view.

 

“…until my mom saw me and said ‘you wouldn’t realize it when you’ve fall for someone but know this… when your mother said that my daughter is inlove…then she is really inlove… honey, I don’t know who that person is but whoever she is I know she’s the one.’ And since that I thought about you more and more and I’m praying you feel it too.”

 

Without waiting for anymore second to waste, Tiffany lunged to Jessica, pulling her for a deep kiss. Having a need for air, they parted away but still close to each other. Tiffany wrap her arms around Jessica’s neck then said,

 

“I do… I do feel it too.” And again both of them sharing a sweet kiss under the moonlight.

 

They were sitting there next to each other engrossing in each others company till one of them chuckled.

 

“What’s so funny?” Jessica laughs harder this time before saying, “It’s funny how we’ve been spending time with each other for the past few weeks and it’s actually long enough… to know each other’s name…” now both of them laughing out loud.

 

“Maybe we really don’t care about that…?”

 

“Maybe. But hey, I can’t go around and say this is my love…who…I still don’t know what her name is…”

 

“Tiffany. Tiffany Hwang Miyoung.” Tiffany extends her hand infront of Jessica for a shake receiving a chuckle and a shake from the latter.

 

“Jessica. Jessica Jung Sooyeon. And I love you…”

 

“I love you too, Jessi.” With that said, both of them, again, shared a passionate kiss.