Is This Loud Enough?

Loud Love

~3 Weeks Later~

“Hey Blue Eyes, you ready to get the hell out of this jail of yours?” Today was the day that HyeSu had been waiting on. She’d spent three weeks in a hospital to focus on healing the psychological warfare she had fought. Today, she would finally walk out of the hospital and be able to enjoy the outside world again.

“More than you know, Mr. Lips.” She smiled at her best friend, Yonghwa. He had walked through these three weeks with her, he’d loved her so loudly that she was able to heal, but she was still unaware of the feelings Yonghwa had for her.

“Then let us go, huh?” Yonghwa grabbed HyeSu’s luggage and offered his arm to her. She smiled gladly linking her arm with his. “Let’s get you home!”

“Home.  I can’t wait to sleep in my own bed! It’s been too long.” The two walked together out to the parking garage. Yonghwa loaded her stuff in his car and then opened the passenger door, helping HyeSu to sit in the car. Yonghwa headed off towards his house. “Where are we going?” HyeSu asked as she realized they were going the opposite direction of her home.

“My place.”

“What?” HyeSu eyed Yonghwa confused.

“MinSeo is gone on a business trip and you are not allowed to be alone. Naturally the only thing we can do is have you stay with me for now.” Yonghwa smiled in HyeSu’s direction. HyeSu tilted her head and gave him a bewildered look. “Yah, HyeSu don’t look at me like that!”

“Like what?”

“Like I am some weirdo taking you home.”

HyeSu laughed, “I never said you were a weirdo. I don’t think this is weird at all. You’re my best friend of course you will help me and have me stay with you. I just was taken aback. Can’t I look a little confused occasionally?” Yonghwa took his hand and pushed HyeSu’s head with his finger jokingly.

“You always look confused.” HyeSu gave Yonghwa an evil look then busted into a laughing fit. Yonghwa smiled as he listened to her laughing. It had been so long since she truly looked this happy and relaxed. “You are better now, aren’t you?”

“Much.” HyeSu smiled and then leaned back in her seat a bit, watching Yonghwa as he drove. “I can’t remember the last time I felt this at peace.” HyeSu believed that Yonghwa had a lot to do with the peace she had finally found. She thought back through the past three weeks. Every day without fail, Yonghwa would be there for her. He’d come have lunch with her, he’d bring her dinner, he’d bring movies and they would watch them. For the first time in her life she realized she had someone that she could completely count on. She’d always counted on and relied on Yonghwa, but she still had moments of shock when she would realize how Yonghwa was there with her, through all her pain, wounds, suicidal thoughts. She smiled at Yonghwa thinking back to a conversation she had had with MinSeo.

“MinSeo, can I ask you something?” HyeSu and MinSeo were relaxing in the hospital common area having coffee.

“You know you can ask me anything.”

“Do you think it’d be weird if I developed feelings for Yonghwa?” MinSeo looked up at HyeSu and about spit out her coffee. For as long as she could remember, MinSeo had been rooting for HyeSu and Yonghwa to find their way to each other. She was fully aware of Yonghwa’s feelings and was shocked that her friend may be returning the feelings.

“Not at all.” MinSeo smiled.

“Really?”

MinSeo nodded. “Yes, why would it be weird? You two have been friends since childhood; you’ve grown up together. You have spent countless hours together, he’s been there for you through some of your most dark moments, I think it would be weird if you didn’t develop feelings for him.”

“I mean the question is purely hypothetical, but I don’t know. Last night he and I were talking and I realized that while I was thinking JiYong was my true love, perhaps he wasn’t at all. You know I’ve been doing a lot of therapy and I had an epiphany. JiYong, while at one point I loved him more than anything, he became almost like a growth on me. I didn’t know how to not have him with me, I depended on that supposed love, meanwhile I totally overlooked Yonghwa.” HyeSu took a sip of her coffee and continued.  “I realize now the difference between those two. JiYong was my first love and I assumed we’d be together forever, but he wasn’t healthy for me. He lied to me, he made me wait, he was self-absorbed and my wounds and pain, he never could handle that part of me. He pushed me to a point where I was nothing but broken and tried to kill myself.”

“And what about Yonghwa.” MinSeo asked.

“Yonghwa, Mr. Lips. He’s the opposite. He’s been with me through everything. He has walked through the fire with me. He’s never lied to me.” MinSeo looked at HyeSu, her face almost showed the shock remembering the small white lie she and Yonghwa had decided to tell. “He’s done everything for me. He makes me a better person. He has seen me at my complete worse. He’s like a light to me, he’s not afraid of who I am at my darkest; because of him I know that I can be happy. And I really think I am falling for him.”

“HyeSu this is great!” MinSeo exclaimed. “You should tell him.”

“But he doesn’t feel that way about me.” HyeSu sat back sighing.

“How do you know that?”

“The other night we were talking about stuff and he brought up that he liked someone. He told me that he was the most beautiful girl he’d ever seen, not just physically but also her personality was beautiful.” MinSeo smiled and thought to herself, “Stupid, that’s you.” HyeSu continued. “ He says I don’t know her, but that someday, he can’t wait to show her to me.”

“Ah. Well, I still think you should talk to him, tell him how you feel.” MinSeo smiled, wanting this to finally happen.

“Should I?”

“Yes! Definitely.”

HyeSu looked at Yonghwa as he drove into his driveway and she took a deep breath. Tonight, tonight she would tell Yonghwa her feelings. She was terrified, sure, but she knew Yonghwa would at the very least let her down gracefully and still be her friend.  HyeSu knew that taking a chance would be hard, but she couldn’t keep her feelings to herself. Yonghwa got out of the car went around and opened HyeSu’s door for her, lending a hand to help her stand. He then grabbed her stuff and she followed him into the house. He had her follow him to her room and he put her stuff on the bed. “Get comfortable, ok? Unpack and I’ll make some dinner.” Yonghwa smiled.

“Sure.” HyeSu smiled as Yonghwa left the room. She grabbed her chest and took a deep breath. “Tonight, I have to tell him tonight.” HyeSu began to unpack and as she did she noticed a stuffed teddy bear on her bed. She picked it up and smiled at it. “Cute.” She said as she continued to unpack after setting it back down, unaware that it talked. After everything was unpack, HyeSu headed out of her room and to the dining room, where Yonghwa had prepared quite a feast. Tonight would be the night the two would confess their feelings to each other.

“Thank you for the meal.” HyeSu smiled as she helped to clean up.

“You don’t have to help clean up.” Yonghwa protested.

“Sure I do, I live here for now, least I can do is wash a dish or two.” HyeSu smiled and continued to wash the dishes.

“Well hurry, I thought we could take a walk to the river.” Yonghwa was prepared to tell HyeSu his feelings. He was scared, but he also knew that their friendship was strong enough that if she couldn’t reciprocate his feelings they would remain close. He had waited 20 years for this moment. He remembers the moment he fell in love with HyeSu. 

A 7-year-old HyeSu sat crying at the bottom of a slide. She had just fallen and couldn’t find her mom anywhere. An 8-year-old Yonghwa saw her crying and went up to her, to try to help her feel better.

“You ok?”

“No. I can’t find my mom and I hurt my knee.” HyeSu cried as Yonghwa say beside her.

“It’ll be ok, I’ll stay with you until your mom gets here. What’s your name?”

“HyeSu. What’s your name?”

“Yonghwa.” He smiled at her, noticing her eyes were a very beautiful blue color. That’s when he fell in love with her. Through the next 20 years he would look in those eyes countless times and would fall in love all over again. Through every up and down, those eyes would pierce his soul and he would fall all over again.

“Hurry up, lets go get some fresh air.” Yonghwa pleaded like a little child.

“OK ok. One more dish.” HyeSu hurriedly washed the last bowl and Yonghwa pulled her arm towards the door. “You could have let me dry my hands.” She lifted her wet hands and wiped them on Yonghwa’s shirt. She gave him a mischievous smile and slipped her feet into her sandals. Yonghwa again grabbed her arm and drug her out the house. “Yah, Jung YongHwa, what is with you.”

“I just wanna walk. You’re being to slow.” Yonghwa let go of HyeSu and began to walk down to the crosswalk, HyeSu walking beside him.

“You’re being weird.” She said as she attempted to keep up with him.

“How so?”

“You’re far to excited for a walk. I know you, you don’t like walking that much.” HyeSu laughed. “But tonight you are practically running.”

“You remember when we came here as teenagers?” YongHwa said as they crossed the street and walked down to a park bench under a tree.

“Of course, this is where we buried our time capsule with MinSeo and JiYong.” She looked at YongHwa and then realized there was a shovel waiting for them. “You aren’t thinking of…”

“Yes. Let’s dig it up.”

“But it’s supposed to be the four of us.” HyeSu protested.

“And that isn’t going to happen. You know that!  So come on, let’s see what everyone put in here, Huh?” Yonghwa began to dig and soon HyeSu found herself helping him to pull out their capsule. “Wah, I don’t remember it being so big.” Yonghwa smiled. “Ok, let’s open this!” YongHwa lifted off the lid and they began to dig through the metal container.

“Omo! My old glasses.” HyeSu laughed. “Remember when I first got these? Everyone called me four eyes, but you would try to fight anyone who would.”

“Well sure, no one called my blue eyes something so mean.” Yonghwa laughed and then pulled out his old watch. “Oh the watch Jiyong got me for my birthday. I hated this stupid thing.” Yonghwa laughed as he continued to pull stuff out and he and HyeSu would reminisce about each item. Finally they got down to the letters at the bottom. “All our letters!”

HyeSu picked up JiYong’s letter and went to open it, but stopped.  “You aren’t going to read it?” Yonghwa asked. HyeSu shook her head no. “What’s the point? He was a virus to me and he has not once checked up on me since the incident. It’s far better I move on. Ah, look here’s my letter.” She picked it up and handed it Yonghwa, “read it.” She smiled. Yonghwa opened the letter and began to read.

Chingus!

Well what should I say? Here we are the day before graduation and we’re about to bury our special memories. I am kind of excited; I can’t wait to see where we end up in the future.

To MinSeo: Thanks for being the best gal pal around. I love all our jokes and I hope you and Yonghwa work out.”

HyeSu laughed as she saw the shocked looked on Yonghwa’s shocked face. “She liked me?” He asked. HyeSu nodded yes. “That girl was all about you, but she gave up, saying that you were too focused on someone else. I think she realized she couldn’t compete with whomever was in your heart.” Yonghwa smiled and continued to read.

To My Jiyongie. I love you so much. I hope in the future that we remain happily together and have lots of babies. I love you!  Yonghwa looked up at HyeSu and saw the look on her face. She looked sad, but peaceful all at the same time. HyeSu looked at Yonghwa, “Truthfully, I am so glad he and I didn’t work out. My heart is someone else’s now anyways.” Yonghwa looked at her confused but continued to read the note.

Mr Lips, what would I do without you? You’re forever there for me. Forever faithful, forever by my side. I hope in the future that we will remain as we are now, you being beside me through all the ups and downs. I couldn’t do life without you; I wouldn’t want to have any other person stuck to me like you are. I adore you so much. You’ll never know how much I care for you. Thank you for being by my side always. You’re the best!” Yonghwa smiled and looked up at HyeSu who was smiling widely. “And you have stayed by me, I am so glad.” Yonghwa took a deep breath and handed HyeSu his letter. “Your turn, read it.” HyeSu smiled and opened the letter, beginning to read.

“My Dearest Blue Eyes,” HyeSu looked at Yonghwa. “It’s, it’s just for me?” She looked at him confused.

“Yes. Continue.” Yonghwa took a deep breath as he urged HyeSu to continue to read the letter. HyeSu looked at him confused, but continued on.

“Surprise! A letter only for you. I realize the rules were to write our letter to each other, but when have I ever abided by your rules? I don’t have anything really to say to the other two, but to you, I have so much to say. My only hope is that someday you will be able to view the words I am about to say with your beautiful blue eyes. My wish is that when you do you will come running to me and not from me.”  HyeSu looked at Yonghwa, “Is this. Is this a confession letter?” She asked. He just smiled and pushed it towards her. She kept reading. “For your eyes only, I will show you my heart. I feel as if we share the same heart as if it is inside of mine. I am completely defenseless right now, because I am baring my entire heart and soul to you. Kang Hye Su, I like you.”  HyeSu stopped and looked at Yonghwa, shocked and excited all at the same time. “You liked me?” Yonghwa nodded happily. “Do you still like me?” Yonghwa shook his head. HeySu blinked and took a deep breath, this whole time she thought he had his heart set on someone else and it was only her he had his heart set on. HyeSu looked down to avoid Yonghwa’s gaze and read more. “I know you love JiYong, but I hope when you read this that I have loved you louder than he ever could. Hye Su, I’ve loved you since that day on the play ground, when your blue eyes became my overwhelming ocean. I want to make you happy. I want to love you forever, I want to hold you when you cry, laugh with you and grow old with you. My heart has been and always will be yours. Mr. Lips loves Blue Eyes.” HyeSu put her hand on and tears began to fall. She looked at Yonghwa who sat staring at her nervous.

“You really surprised me.” She said. “I, I don’t know what to say.” She stood up. “Gimme a minute, huh?” Yonghwa stood too.

“I, I didn’t mean to upset you HyeSu.” He watched as she walked over to look at the water. All this time she had thought he was in love with some one else and all this time he had loved her. He had been so loud in his love and yet HyeSu had remained clueless. She took in a deep breath and closed her eyes then smiled. She turned around to find Yonghwa watching her from the same spot across the sidewalk. She tilted her head cutely and smiled widely. As she did, she ran and jumped into his arms. “I like you too. So much.” YongHwa wrapped his arms around her waist and lifted her up off the ground, spinning her around.

“Really? For real? Like really for real?” He said putting her back down to standing but not letting her go. She nodded yes. “Hye Su!” He smiled as he pulled her close and he looked deep into her blue eyes. He let go of her waist with one hand and lifted his hand to caress her face. He smiled and then slowly leaned in to kiss her softly on the lips. All these years he waited for this moment and it was perfect. “Mr. Lips really loves Blue Eyes.” He thought as they kissed there under the moonlight.