Baekhyun

Divinos Fata Scriptor

 

 

“What was that?” Chanyeol asked, breathing hard. He collapsed in a chair that sat around a circular table. Baekhyun shrugged, just as tired. He took a seat next to Chanyeol. They were in a kitchen of some kind. It definitely was shabbier than the one in the palace, but still well kept. A counter top wrapped around the room and a large stove furnace roared at the end. A pot of bubbling soup sat on top of it and a woman stood next to it, looking at them. She had her arms crossed and it was obvious she wanted answers soon. Baekhyun dropped his hood, ready to speak, but Chanyeol beat him to it.

 

“We were being chased.” Chanyeol said.

 

“Why?” The woman asked, looking at Baekhyun.

 

“I don’t know, but they were chasing Bae--Bae Hee.”

 

“Chanyeol, I know who that is. It isn’t hard to recognize him.” The woman bowed to Baekhyun. “Prince Baekhyun, it is a pleasure.”

 

Baekhyun smiled. “And mine.” He sighed. “Please, just call me Baekhyun.”

 

“But,”

 

“Baekhyun is fine.”

 

The woman nodded and shut pursed her lips. She turned back to Chanyeol. “Sis, if you see two muscular men, make them leave. They were chasing Baekhyun, I think.”

 

Baekhyun nodded. “I bumped into them when I was going out of one of the shops. I don’t know what they want, though.”

 

The room fell silent and the only noise was the bubbling pot. Chanyeol looked at his feet, eyebrows furrowed, and his sister went back to stirring the soup. After a while, Chanyeol’s sister, Haeun, asked for the vegetables. Chanyeol nodded and handed Baekhyun his clothes before getting up to hand the tomato to his sister. She sighed and told him she needed green peppers along with,“How could you possibly forget? You were too busy frolicking with the Prince.”

 

Baekhyun clutched his clothes and stared at the colors. He was staring at the gold rope around the waist when he was reminded of the button he had seen on the men’s chest. The two snakes wrapped around the tree. Where had he seen that before? He couldn't remember, and he sighed. It was unlikely he would bump into those men again, hopefully.

 

Hours passed and Baekhyun sat in Chanyeol’s kitchen chatting with both him and Haeun. When Chanyeol's mother came in, he knew it was time to leave. He was already in his royal garments, shifting from foot to foot. The sun had already gone down and the stars were starting to reveal themselves, twinkling in the black night. There was no moon when he and Chanyeol stepped outside. Baekhyun sighed and clasped his hands together. He looked to Chanyeol and smiled.

 

“Thank you, Chanyeol, for today. It was lovely.”

 

Chanyeol nodded.

 

“I suppose the end was not what you had in mind.” Baekhyun laughed.

 

“No, not exactly.”

 

The two fell silent. Chanyeol was looking elsewhere, and Baekhyun stole glances at Chanyeol. Silhouetted by the light from the kitchen, Baekhyun was realizing just how tall Chanyeol was. He towered over Baekhyun, and for a moment seemed older than fifteen. There was an air of maturity about him. Baekhyun felt a flutter in his stomach.

 

“I guess I will be going.” he said, turning away. Before he heard a response from Chanyeol, he walked away, heart pounding.

 

Baekhyun snuck through the back gardens. He closed the gate, careful to make no noise. As he walked down the path, crickets chirped around him. A breeze blew through the plants, rustling the sleeves and bottom of his robes. Out of the corner of his eye, he thought he saw a dark figure move on the other side of the fence. He pulled up the fabric and hurried to the back porch. It probably his imagination. He had been through quite a lot in one day, and he was tired. He took off his shoes and slipped through one of the sliding doors. He tiptoed down the hallway, making sure to avoid the creaky boards. Finally he reached his room, believing he was safe. Baekhyun sighed and shut himself inside. A flame flickered from the dark to reveal the angry face of his father. Emperor Byun set down the oil lamp and lit a few more around the room.

 

“Father,” Baekhyun breathed. “What are you doing in my room?”

 

“Baekhyun, I think you know exactly what I am doing here. And I would also like to ask, where have you been all day?” Emperor Byun crossed his arms and glared.

 

“I-I was…! I was just out for the day! I was just out for the day, father!”

 

“Byun Baekhyun, I told you never to go out unless you have at least two guards. I barely allowed you to make that trip to the peasant’s restaurant, for god knows what reason. Peasants are ruthless, and who knows what could have happened to you.”

 

“Father, I am unharmed and completely fine. I am fifteen years old and perfectly capable of taking care of myself. I no longer need guards. I have taken hapkido since I was young.”

 

“That is not the point, Baekhyun. If you were ambushed by a group of peasants, who knows--”

 

“They are not like that! Not at all!”

 

Emperor Byun was taken aback.“Oh? And how would you know?”

 

“I-I… I just know. Not everyone is bad.”

 

“Really? Which reminds me, Baekhyun, I heard you were walking around town with some teenage peasant boy.”

 

“How absurd!”

 

“The townspeople are abuzz. This boy, the son of the Parks? His family owns that restaurant.” Emperor Byun

 

Baekhyun sighed. Nothing got past his father. “Yes, what about it?”

 

“I forbid you to see him. We do not associate ourselves with peasants. I also forbid you from leaving the palace for an indefinite amount of time, as punishment. You will have a guard on duty and he will monitor your actions. Once you have shown obedience, I may reconsider your punishment. Are we clear?”

 

Baekhyun nodded. “Yes, father.”

 

Emperor Byun nodded with a satisfied look. He patted his son on the shoulder as he walked by. Baekhyun waited until he could no longer hear the swish of heavy robes on the polished wood floor to groan. How would he tell Chanyeol? There was no way to slip past the trained guards. If he didn't contact or meet Chanyeol, he might get the wrong idea. He might think Baekhyun was ignoring him and would be hurt. Baekhyun’s heart clenched.

 

As Baekhyun dropped his robes, he heard a swish from outside. He pulled up the bottom layer and slid open the door. A few oil lamps lined the porch and created warm, flickering circles. Baekhyun strained his eyes and for a second he thought he saw a figure moving among the bushes. His searching was interrupted, though, when a person in black and blood red garments appeared. The person had the tradition clothes of a guard with one sword on each hip and another blade was just barely visible under his belt.

 

“Kyungsoo,” Baekhyun said, straightening his robes. “Has my father sent you to watch me?”

 

Kyungsoo nodded. He pulled out a pad of paper and began scribbling on it. He held it up to Baekhyun. “Your father not yet realized we are close.”

 

Baekhyun laughed and shook his head. “Because you always seem to be glaring at something. Maybe he thought you were tough and indifferent.”

 

Kyungsoo smiled and motioned to where Baekhyun was looking. “What is wrong?” he signed. Baekhyun knew Kyungsoo since they were ten, and as they became friends, he picked up more Han a few phrases and words.

 

Baekhyun shrugged. “I heard something.”

 

Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes and pulled out a blade that was concealed in the wrap covering his hands. It was thin, and Baekhyun wondered how he hasn't cut himself or the wraps.

 

“Stay back. Close the door and turn off the lights. The drill.” Kyungsoo signed. Baekhyun gulped and backed into his room, sliding the door shut. He went over and put the oil lamps out and grabbed a candle from a drawer and lit it. It barely illuminated his face. He could see Kyungsoo’s silhouette through the rice paper. Baekhyun hid himself in his closet when Kyungsoo changed his stance. He did leave a small crack, though, so he could watch if anything happened.

 

It seemed like eternity passed by the time Kyungsoo relaxed and Baekhyun could barely see him slip the blade back under the wrap. Kyungsoo slid open the rice paper door and began relighting the oil lamps. Baekhyun stood up and emerged from the closet. He blew out his candle and set it back into the drawer.

 

“Just an animal.” Kyungsoo signed, smiling. “A squirrel, to be exact.”

 

“Thank goodness. I was chased today, and I guess I have been quite paranoid.”

 

“Do not worry. Just get some rest.”


Baekhyun nodded and changed into his night clothes. As he slipped under the duvet, Kyungsoo put out the oil lamps and bid Baekhyun goodnight. He walked out of the room and slid the door behind him. Baekhyun could see Kyungsoo’s silhouette. A sense of safety washed over him. It seemed like he could finally let his guard down, especially after such a hectic day. Baekhyun sighed and closed his eyes and slept.