Chanyeol

Divinos Fata Scriptor

"Love isn't something you find. Love is something that finds you"

-Loretta Young

 

Chanyeol was enchanted. Being only ten, he stood on his tiptoes as he peered through the circular window. On the other side of the glass, warm light radiated. The adults inside were dressed in lavish garb that ranged in color. Upon the women’s heads sat wonderful head dresses with tassels and charms that jangled when they laughed. The men wore plain, black hats, but made up for it by their patterned clothes and gold jewelry. A bell sounded throughout the room and floated through the open windows. The rich men and women turned their attention to the source of the bell. A plain servant stood in brown peasant’s clothes with the bell in hand. He bowed low and backed out of the room. A few candles around the room were blown out and the front of the room was now the center of attention. The rice paper wall was lit up and a silhouette of a person appeared. The chattering audience oohed and fell silent. The rice paper wall slid to the side and a young child, not much older than Chanyeol, stood there in a dress that was even more extravagant than the audience’s.

 

Chanyeol was unable to tell the gender of this child. The pretty face of this child along with their beautiful fingers told him “girl.” Upon closer inspection, the cropped, black hair and piercing eyes said “boy.” Either way, Chanyeol was taken with this child. He felt the heartbeat in his chest grow faster and louder as the child began to dance. Their moves were graceful and perfect. The child seldom watched the audience and instead focused on perfecting the performance. However, the child did look out once, and it just happened that Chanyeol’s face was right in their line of sight. A smile graced the small face and Chanyeol let go of the window ledge, heart pounding. He stood, shocked by the kindness in the child's eyes and the genuine smile. The only thing that interrupted Chanyeol’s young imagination was the sound of clapping. He grabbed the window ledge, but was too late. The child was already returning to the other side of the rice paper wall. Disappointed, but still elated, Chanyeol pivoted and ran all the way home to tell his mom about the beautiful person he had seen.

 

Four years later, Chanyeol was already working in his family restaurant. He had grown to be quite a dashing young man. His genes finally caught up with him and he was already towering over his mom. His young, chubby features fell away to reveal a structured jaw and a fit body. Most of the village girls his age were swooning over him, hoping to find a way to be his wife. But Chanyeol rejected each of them, for he had one person in his heart.

 

The night Chanyeol had returned home from seeing this person for the first time, he soon found out he had taken a peek at one of the prince’s yearly performances. Prince Baekhyun, who was ten when Chanyeol saw him, was known for his graceful dances and beautiful voice. Ever since he was young, he had taken dance lessons from only the best. It was when he was twelve that he was given singing lessons. That was around the time he had actually begun to speak and open up to people other than his stuffed animals. They quickly learned of his raw talent after hearing him singing in the zen garden. Chanyeol went back every year after that.

 

Chanyeol knew his chances with Baekhyun were extremely thin, and basically nonexistent. Baekhyun was a prince, and Chanyeol was but a peasant with big dreams. Despite his clumsy hands in the kitchen, he was skilled with the guitar and played the drums like no one else. He was driven even more so to learn music after seeing Baekhyun that fateful day. He hoped to become skilled enough to play for the prince’s performance. It was the closest he could ever attempt to be. He was content with admiring from afar. Maybe when he had a few more years of experience.

 

However, Chanyeol’s fantasy came true a lot sooner than he expected. One day, when walking back from the market with a bag of spinach and peppers, he passed the palace and heard crying. He tried his hardest to ignore it. He was on a mission and had to get back to the restaurant as soon as possible. But as he was rounding the corner, he plopped the bags down and ran to the bushes that separated him from the person crying. He couldn't help himself. He hated seeing others upset. Some said his heart was too big for his own good.

 

“Please don't cry!” Chanyeol shouted at the window that was half hidden by bushes. He didn't really expect the person to hear him. The sobbing was too loud and the cicadas were deafening. But the crying did start to fade and sniffling took its place.

 

“Who are you?” the sniffing person called out. Chanyeol knew who it was in a heartbeat. He had heard the lilting voice so many times after numerous performances, giving gratitude and speaking with some guests. It was the voice that floated out of the open windows of the performing room once every year. It was the voice that Chanyeol longed to hear every day. It was Prince Baekhyun.

 

“I…” Chanyeol couldn't possibly tell the prince he was only a lowly peasant. He might never get to come back. Prince Baekhyun probably would be utterly disgusted. “I'm Prince Ch--Chandresh from a distant kingdom.” Chanyeol said in the manliest voice he could manage, but it only ended with his voice going an octave higher and cracking. He heard laughter from inside. His face became redder than the peppers he had bought.

 

“Well, Prince Chandresh,” Baekhyun sniffled, voice wavering. “I'm enchanted to meet you, for I am Prince Baekhyun.”

 

Chanyeol wanted to rip his heart out. It was making so much noise in his ears that he could barely hear what Baekhyun was saying.

 

“I was not aware a prince would be visiting.” Baekhyun continued. “And it is quite embarrassing that we have met in such a circumstance. I hope I haven't made a bad impression.”

 

“N-not at all!” Chanyeol replied.

 

“That is a relief. Well, I must tell father a prince has arrived. He would be delighted to meet you and your family.”

 

Chanyeol’s hands began to sweat. His gut clenched and he yelled out “No!” He calmed his voice and repeated it a bit calmer, but still with a bit of a shake. “No, please keep this a secret.” Chanyeol said.

 

“I understand.” Baekhyun said, disappointment evident. “Can I at least meet you?” he asked, hope returning.

 

It hurt Chanyeol to have to turn his four year crush down simply because of social status, but nothing could be changed. He gave Baekhyun a firm “No,” but promised to return the next day. Before he left, he asked Baekhyun, “Why were you crying?”

 

“Nothing, really” was all the Prince had said. Not exactly satisfied, but not wanting to be a nuisance, he left with a polite goodbye. Chanyeol skipped all the way back to the restaurant. He couldn't wait to tell his mom what happened. It was as if he were living a fairy tail!

 

Chanyeol stood a block away from the Prince’s window the next day. He watched across the road. Carts and livestock passed in his vision, but he paid them no mind. When the roads were relatively clear and the dust was blown away, Chanyeol kept staring. He felt panic bubble in his gut and he was tempted to turn away. Unfortunately the way past the Prince’s window was the quickest way home. The other ways took way too long. Chanyeol cursed, for standing outside on the road, watching the peasants pass by with an eager look, was Prince Baekhyun. His hands were clasped together. He wore red robes lined with silver. Every peasant that passed bowed and lowered their hats before continuing. Chanyeol swallowed the lump in his throat. He knew exactly why Baekhyun was standing on the dirty streets and not surrounded by bodyguards. The Prince had snuck out to see this Prince Chandresh, but had to keep it a secret.

 

Chanyeol didn't want to let the Prince down by standing him up or revealing Chandresh was but a peasant. Instead he came up with a fool-proof plan. Well, maybe not fool-proof. Certainly Chanyeol’s friend, Jongdae, would manage to screw it up, as he did with most things. Jongdae aside, Chanyeol clutched the grocery bags and grappled for whatever courage he could find and started off across the road. As he approached Baekhyun, the Prince looked at him. Chanyeol took a deep breath and walked to Baekhyun with determination.

 

“Prince Baekhyun,” Chanyeol bowed low and crossed his fingers that Baekhyun wouldn't recognize his voice. Baekhyun’s face was passive as he returned with a nod. Chanyeol’s took a deep breath. So far so good. Being in such close proximity did funny things to Chanyeol’s heart. “Master Chandresh sends his apologies for being unable to keep his promise. He was caught up in some business, and hopes you can forgive him.”

 

“Of course I can. I am not the cold hearted Prince my father was.”

 

Chanyeol nodded and gulped. “He also requests you not meet face to face. He does not feel comfortable showing his face to a gorgeous Prince such as yourself. His looks are not worthy enough to face yours.” That sounded a tad too far fetched, and Chanyeol hoped Baekhyun would take the bait.

 

“I understand.” Baekhyun frowned and turned away. He began heading in the direction of the entrance. Chanyeol watched him leave. He gripped the shopping bags, creating a hole in the bottom with his nail. He started walking and easily fell in stride with the Prince. He couldn't let this chance slip away.

 

“Prince,”

 

Baekhyun cast a sidelong glance at Chanyeol, but didn't say anything.

 

“Prince Ch-Chandresh says he’ll be here tomorrow.”

 

“Oh?” Baekhyun gave Chanyeol a small smile. Right then and there, Chanyeol was sure they were the only two people in the world. The Prince’s bright smile was the most wonderful thing in the world, and it was directed right at Chanyeol. Chanyeol’s face flushed and he nodded. Then he dashed off down the street, bags shifting in his hands. He didn't look back until he rounded the corner. He didn't want to see Baekhyun’s reaction to him running away.

 

The following day, Chanyeol stood under the Prince’s window. He had been there for quite a while. He was sitting on the dusty ground while leaning against the bushes. Baekhyun had been delighted when “Chandresh” had returned and was running his mouth. Chanyeol didn't mind, though. Just listening to Baekhyun’s voice, how kind it sounded and the pure enthusiasm just to talk to Chandresh, was all he needed to be happy.

 

“One day, I hope to travel the world.” Baekhyun was saying. “I've heard so many stories from distant travelers and kings and royalty who visit my performances every year. It all sounds so magical compared to this place. I've been cooped up here for fourteen years and it's getting hard. They expect so much of me, being a Prince and all, but you understand that, right?”

 

Chanyeol felt a pang in his chest. He hated deceiving Baekhyun. All he wanted was to see his crush face to face and talk for hours on end, but alas, Baekhyun wouldn't take kindly to being lied to. “Is that why you were crying?” Chanyeol asked.

 

Baekhyun hummed in affirmation. “It's so overwhelming. I'm only fourteen and I'm expected to run this kingdom in four years.”

 

“Yes, it is very difficult.” Chanyeol replied, not knowing a about royalty.

 

“I know! It seems like so far away, but I know it'll come up quicker than I wished.”


“Yeah,” was all Chanyeol said. Baekhyun continued to ramble on for a while after that. It seemed he didn't mind having a mostly one sided conversation. He had a lot to say, and Chanyeol guessed that these were things that were bottled up inside. Being royalty, you have to keep your image and not be too whiny or else there would be no respect. The hours ticked away and Chanyeol was quite content listening to Baekhyun speak. He closed his eyes and let the Prince’s voice surround him. He could have sat there for ages, but once orange and pink painted the sky, he knew it was time to go. He bid goodnight to Baekhyun, promised to return, and left with a light heart.