Chapter 2

Dear Love, I Think I'll Stick to Chemistry

I stormed angrily into the main office. The secretary, Mrs. Lee, was snoozing at her desk. The moment I walked in however, she shot up and fixed her hair and shifted her glasses. I slammed my hands down onto her desk and said in a menacing whisper, "These idiots behind me need their schedule please, Thank you." She looked half awake and disheveled, but she understood my words, minus the sarcasm and anger behind them. Nodding, she turned to the cabinets behind her.

By the time Mrs. Lee began rustling through the cabinet, I had made nicknames by the periodic table for each of the members that I didn't know:

The one with the blonde hair I called Neon.

The guy who stood to his left with the black hair, big doe eyes, but a tall, muscular physique I labeled Silver. He looked sharp and cold, like someone you wouldn't want to mess with, but it was all encased with some dangerously handsome features.

The shorter guy next to him with ruffled, light brown hair, a sugar white complexion and dynamic eyes I nicknamed Titanium; he seemed mysterious and had an aura of danger around him.

The guy to neon's right who had a handsome face and tall nose I nicknamed Platinum, and the guy next to him, who had full lips, I named Silicon. He wasn't my type, and nor did he look all that genuine.

Jimin, whom I knew, but decided to nickname anyway, became Gold because, after all, he never lost his luster in my world. Finally, the guy next to him, who had a resting smiley face and clear skin I named Oxygen. He seemed like the hopeful, happy kind of boy.

The labeling had calmed me down from my recent encounter with Minjoon. Gosh dang it why was he so irked by this reunion? I like just met him after three months of no contact and this is his way of saying hello? There was no "OMG! How are you?" or "When can the three of us (us=Minjoon, Hana, Me) meet up?" Ugh. This is why he still doesn't have a girlfriend.

As I was immersed in my world of science and frustration, the boys were looking around feverishly in the room. One was sniffing the flowers on Mrs. Lee's desk while another just couldn't stop staring at the plaques on the wall, about half of which had my name on it. I tried not to look to prideful, but when he looked at me and then back at the certificates, I couldn't help but smirk.

Soon, Mrs. Lee came back with seven manila folders in the crook of her arm. No one had noticed yet, so she cleared her voice, getting the eight figures' attentions. "Here are the schedule folders." she said, laying each one down on her desk. Each folder had each member's name on it. I could tell she was getting back to her senses, because she began to look at every single one of them as if they had ten heads. Yep. They actually were BTS all right- the most notorious and popular gang- turned- superstars in the history of Korean entertainment. She tried to mask her surprise while explaining what each piece of paper in the folders were.

"The blue paper is your schedule paper. Each period is an hour. Seniors and Juniors, which would be you all, also have block periods incorporated into your schedule, which interchange each day. Each block period is about an hour and 45 minutes long." Each Bangtan member looked down at what she was explaining. I was at the front of the desk. As Jimin leaned down to look, he leaned his chest on my back and casually draped his arm around my shoulder, looking beyond my shoulder as Mrs. Lee explained the rest of the papers.

Mrs. Lee began to explain our lunch periods and free periods, as well as something about senior privileges and sports, but I was not paying attention anymore. I began palpitating and tried to concentrate on the secretary's words, but they too became faint and all I could hear was my own heartbeat. All of my senses got fixated towards his body. Every move, every touch, every breath, every beat of his heart was magnified to beyond a thousand times.

His arms were wrapped protectively across my chest, and my heart was literally going to explode in happiness. I could feel my cheeks getting warm and I blushed, thinking of a million possibilities at once. Of course, when I looked up at his face, I could see that he was concentrating on Mrs. Lee's words. I felt a little deflated that maybe Jimin was just doing this out of habit, or unconsciously, but I still savored his scent and the feeling of his arms around me.

"You got that Hyejin?" said a voice. I was snapped out of my thoughts and reality began rushing in all too soon. "Hyejin?" said the secretary, her hand waving in front of my eyes.

"Huh? What? Oh yeah... uh the schedules...umm..." I tried to think of something to say. I had been so immersed in the feeling of Jimin that I had no idea what had been going on outside of my little bubble.

The secretary began to chuckle and said to the boys behind me, "See what I mean? I knew she had the Einstein Effect. Ugh. So immersed in the scientific knowledge in her brain that she hardly focuses on the world beyond herself. I mean, she's the school science genius," I could have sworn she looked really prideful, "but sometimes," she looked back at me, "she needs to come into our world."

"Come on genius, pay attention to your elders. Give them some respect." said Jimin playfully. He poked my forehead and winked at me making me immediately begin losing it again. I didn't know what it was that was so funny, but everyone began laughing again. "Wha-?" I began, but no one heard me, all thanks to the roaring of laughter in the small room. I could have sworn that even Mr. Kim was laughing in his office right next door, and even the intern who was outside the office, was laughing.

"Hyejin-" said Mrs. Lee, finally, when she had wiped the tears that were about to roll down her face from laughter, " I told you to show everyone to their classes. I have notified the teachers of your absence first period, so feel free to give them a tour, okay?"

Sheepishly, I gave a slight laugh and replied, "Alright. Thanks so much Mrs. Lee. Annyeonghigyeseyo." I walked out with the seven boys, who, after bidding goodbye to the secretary, had formed a fan like formation behind me. The halls were empty besides a couple students going to the bathroom or seniors having their free period socializing.

"Hyejin." said a voice. I turned around and saw that it was the blonde one, oh who was it? Oh yeah, neon, who was speaking to me. I stopped, and so did everyone else.

"Yeah?"

"I feel that we haven’t been able to properly introduce ourselves." he said, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Oh, well then, I'm Hyejin. I'm seventeen and I'm a Junior here at Skylim High." I awkwardly introduced myself.

Each of them went around and introduced themselves. They tried to ease the awkwardness by doing their own little specialties, or trying to be friendly. For example, I learned that Oxygen's name was J-Hope and that he was an amazing dancer. I wasn't a horrible dancer, but when he began popping, I felt complete awe and admiration towards his dancing and very little confidence in my own. As we lost the awkward atmosphere that had cloaked us before, we began walking along again as they introduced themselves.

The one I had named Titanium, with the mysterious identity was Yoongi, also known as Suga. He was a great rapper and I felt really comfortable talking with him as soon as we began to talk.

"If you'd like," he said, when I showed interest in his music production, "I can let you listen to one of my productions. Maybe we could make something together...alone." At that last part, he wiggled his eyebrows and I giggled. Jimin smacked his arm and Neon, who I now knew as Namjoon , or Rap Monster, rolled his eyes playfully.

Silver was a completely different personality than his outside appearance.

"H-hi" was the first thing he said when he introduced himself. "I'm Jungkook and I'm the maknae of our group. I'm actually the same age as you-" he said to me. "Seventeen." he had a sheepish but friendly glow in his eyes that definitely wasn't there before. We locked eyes, and I was sure that we had stared at eachother for a second too long.

His hyungs were complimenting him, saying something about being good at everything so he was called the golden maknae. I laughed internally. Golden? Oh well...I was only off by like...32 protons... Oh boy was I proven wrong.

They were praising him so much that they finally started to goad him to show something off. Jhope was saying, "Cmon Jungkook, you'll never get the girls like that!" Jungkook was constantly avoiding their instigations and finally, I just had to enter the conversation.

"Yeah." I said to him, "It's something you're good at. Don't be afraid to show off your strengths."

The guys whooped and cheered. "See?" said Hobie (his real nickname now...) "Just do it! Sing us something."

Wait what? Sing?

I was so confused.

But when they finally settled down and Jungkook gave in, I was so glad that I convinced him to show off his talent.

When he sang, the world slowly came to a stop and everyone's ears seemed to be gravitating towards his rich but hauntingly beautiful voice.

(Sofa, by Crush)

"니가 있던 소파

너 없이 나 혼자

이 자리에만 남아

널 기다리잖아

So far 내 곁에 넌 so far away

미련이라는 게 먼지만 남은 채

널 기다리잖아"

(I’m alone on the sofa

where you used to be

I’m here, waiting for you

So far from my side, you’re so far away

I’m still not over you, only dust remains

As I wait for you)

It was the most beautiful melody I had heard. After he finished singing, I automatically broke out into loud clapping, along with s and even some of the seniors in the hallways. Jungkook slightly bowed and when he came up, he was smiling the cutest grin that I had ever seen fill up a boy's face. We made eye contact once again and I just stared into his enormous orbs with awe and happiness. It was hard to look away at something so beautiful.

I learned everyone else's names. Platinum was Taehyung, also known as V, and Silicon was Jin. They were really nice and infectiously crazy. The bad boy image they put up in front of the cameras were gone and everyone had their own personalities, Taehyung being extremely 4D and adorable and Jin being quiet yet responsible of the whole group as the eldest.

Finally, Jimin introduced himself. Although he already knew me, he still introduced himself; little did I know what was in store for me. He gave a little twirl and held out his hand with a wink. Surprised and embarrassed yet pleased all at the same time, I gingerly slipped my hand in his.

Jimin's eyebrows raised and he smirked/smiled when we came in contact. The six boys around him all went "oooohhhh" and some of them whooped. Namjoon said, smirking, "Hyejin, we'll all just be exploring this level. Be right back in like-" I saw him "check" his invisible watch, "-five minutes." After that little comment, the boys scattered, leaving Jimin and me alone in the hallway, my hand in his, like a dancing position.

He pulled me in closer with such a strong force that I nearly crashed into his chest. I was literally only four inches away from his face. His smile was hooked on one ear to the other and I was blushing like a tomato. I tried to stay conscious. What if people are looking? What about the others? What about the tou- Oh my Gosh! But by then, all of the seniors had left the first level and had gone to the second level to where their lockers were situated. We were actually alone

He pushed me against a freshman's locker and leaned in closer, making my eyes widen. I didn't know what to do with myself when a guy, scratch that, the guy that I liked was literally within kissing vicinity of me. It's okay Hyejin! Don't freak out! just....uh... think pi! 3.1415926535...

All my eyes could focus on were his perfect features...no his full, luscious lips and before I knew it, they were on my own. I freaked out in my mind, enough that I forgot the next two numbers of pi, the numbers that I had memorized since the fourth grade. Was it 7?  Oh my gosh he's kissing me. Or 4...?Oh. My. Gosh. His lips are on My lips!

My body acted without any command from my brain, as if it had detached itself from all rational thinking. My eyes closed, as if on instinct, and I wove my hands into the nape of his neck and through the back of his hair. He pressed in closer and I felt something like an electric current, minus the pain, surge through my body. I never wanted this feeling to end.

It was a sweet but passionate kiss, held together by the smallest movements between our lips, sustained by the very breath that was shared between us. But it was indescribable. When we broke apart, we were breathless, but smiling like psychotics. He put his forehead on mine and said soothingly, "Kim Hyejin, never let me go."

 

<----Jiminieeeee!! How can you not resist this face?

<---Jungkookie's smile