Chapter 1

Dear Love, I Think I'll Stick to Chemistry

"Bring Bring!" I fumbled with my pocket as I smoothly transitioned my backpack from the floor onto my shoulders. Pft. Gravity ain't got nothin on me! Looking at the caller ID, I saw it was my best friend, Hana.

 

"Hey." I said into the phone, grabbing a granola bar from the kitchen counter. I stopped walking to wave good bye to my parents in the living room, and kissed my baby sister on the cheek before slipping out the front door to my first day back from summer break.

 

"HYEJIN! YOU WON'T BELIEVE ME BUT LET ME EXPLAIN!" Hana yelled. I was already getting ready to hang up on her because I knew that one more second of her yelling could burst my eardrum, but she stopped me with just two words. "HE'S HERE!" she screamed so loudly that I could have sworn I had permanently lost hearing in my right ear. What!? I thought. Had I misheard what she had just said?

 

I nearly tripped and before I knew it, my newly unwrapped and ready-to-eat granola bar was speeding towards the ground at 9.8 mps^2. Soon, I was playing hot potato by myself, looking like a complete idiot on the streets of Gangnam. I lost hot potato to gravity. How sad does that sound?

 

"Hyejin?" she said "Are you still there?"

 

"Damnit." I whispered as I eyed the fallen granola bar that was supposed to be my breakfast. As if on cue, my abdomen growled, and I scowled in frustration. I picked up the bar, now covered in the remains of someone else's shoe soles, and walked over to the nearest trashcan and sadly dropped it in.

 

"Yeah." I said. "I just dropped my only piece of food that is supposed to keep me going until-" I checked my watch. I was late! "POOP" I yelled. People stared, obviously annoyed, probably thinking something along the lines of "teens these days". Ugh... why is life so unfair? I broke into a run.

 

"Eh?" said Hana. "You mean lunch?" She was so smart, but sometimes, she was too boy crazy to let her brains do any actual thinking. But I can't say anything either I guess...

 

"No! I mean yes! Well...not important now! I'm late! Talk to you later! Bye!" before she could reply, I tapped the end button on my 6+ and sprinted in the direction of Skylim High.

 

Even before I had reached the raven iron gates of our prestigious high school, I could already hear the screams pulsating through the whole block. As I got closer, I noticed that the whole commotion was concentrated on one group of adolescents, ages seemingly ranging from barely 17 to almost 24. Gosh that noise pollution was annoying the heck out of me. I pulled out my ID card, swiped it across the digital receptor for admittance and walked through the courtyard.

 

Scratch that. I tried to walk through the courtyard, but failed even before I got to the green.

I was being beaten up by the crowd as it got denser and denser with fans just overwhelming with joy. Then, I got a glimpse of them, and I thought I was hallucinating.

 

I knew that this would happen. He was definitely back. And my life was officially over.

 

The chanting got louder as I got nearer and I could almost make out the words, "BTS! BTS"  that were jumbled up by all of the fangirls. I checked my watch. 3 minutes before the late bell would ring, and these girls (and guys...? WHAT) were still out here screaming their heads off. I tried to spy an open space through the densely packed courtyard when a hand gripped my elbow. I turned around and saw Hana.

 

"ISN'T THIS AWESOME!?" she screamed in my face over the chanting. "LIKE HE ACTUALLY CAME! AND THIS TIME HE BROUGHT HIS HOT FRIENDS!!!" I thought I was going to throw up. I could already feel my anger bubbling through my rationality and I quickly dragged her across the ground to what I thought was an open space.

Finally stumbling through the crowd, I reached the top of the school steps, where I could see the overwhelming commotion that had eaten up our yard. I was about to go in when I saw his face.

 

Dang it.

 

WHY DID YOU LOOK IN THAT DIRECTION!? ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL YOURSELF? I screamed at myself in my head. Why why why why why????? Ugh, I was about to die right there and then.

He was so...perfect. His perfectly chiseled body was fitted just right with our cerulean blue uniforms. His eye smile was melting my heart and his full lips, my eyes just wouldn't stop traveling down to them.

Just as I was about to look away, he turned to my direction and raised one eyebrow, as if confused. Then his eyes widened and a flash of recognition passed his eyes. He began to saunter forward, a smile slowly spreading across his face.

 

I was dead. My body would be washed away in the rivers of undefined death and...well...loss of hormonal control...?

Far in the distance, a bell began to ring, and students that had just been extremely fangirl/boying over these seven deadly handsome men scrambled away to their classes. I, however, stayed rooted to my spot, unable to take my eyes off of the god that approached me.

 

Hana, who noticed my...uh...horrible situation, pushed me forward, and giggled, running off all by herself to her class. She had left me to bear the weight of confronting my first love, my ultimate crush, my one and only....Jimin.

"Hyejin?" he said when he stepped onto the top step, his signature eye smile stretched across his perfect face. His voice... it had changed since I had last talked to him; it had gotten...deeper. ier. "Hyejin... is that really you?"

"H-hi... J-Jimin." I said, stumbling upon my words. I mentally facepalmed myself. Get yourself together girl! He's like, talking to you! Straightening up, I said, "How have you been? Three years right?" I awkwardly fiddled with my hair.

He smiled warmly and stooped down to my level. The guys behind him all had a different expression on his face. Tired, anxious, embarrassed, awkwardly smiling, evilly grinning, and just plain annoyed. I felt my face get hot as he got closer and closer. "I missed you." he said and gave me a hug.

 

My breath hitched and my eyes grew extremely wide. Motherfreakin Jimin was freaking hugging me!!My face was in his muscled chest and I could pick up the scent of Fierce by Abercrombie from his shirt. I just let it all sink in before a thought hit me like a garbage truck. Does this mean...? Maybe? Possibly...????? Nah...CHILL FAM! He didn't like you then, and he definitely doesn't like you now.

 

I tried to relax, but my heart was beating so rapidly, I could swear that I could have had cardiac arrest. A feeling that I had never felt before overcame me, and I never wanted him to let go. I found myself breathing in his scent and snuggling into his wide chest with passion. I felt so guilty... I was slipping right back into the hands that had made my life so miserable not too long ago. The idiot that had ruined my life was back, and now I was in a serious pinch. Suddenly, the student council president, also known as my other friend, Minjoon, spied the eight of us still at the entrance.

 

By then, almost everyone was in class, and...oh shoot. I was extremely late for Chemistry. And Jimin was still hugging me.  

 

Suddenly I was torn between school or a boy that I had fallen for in middle school... What an odd situation for a straight A+ student whose current soulmate was a periodic table.

 

"HEY!" Minjoon screamed in our direction, secretary right on his heels, struggling to keep up because of her unnecessarily high heels. "Get to class of all of you will get detention!" Suddenly, he recognized me and then dropped the clipboard that he had been waving in our direction. "OMO! Is that Hyejin?" his voice becoming dangerously sweet and sarcastic at the same time. If anyone was more bipolar than Hana, it was Minjoo. Why were my friends all so weird?

 

Jimin seemed to be back from his world and let go of me. I frowned at the loss of contact but the members looked relieved. Minjoon shot me a "why the hell does ur face look like a tomato? face" and then turned to the boys, saying, "Oh hello, I don't think I have met you guys ye-" Then he squinted his eyes.

Of course he had to squint his eyes.

 

I cursed inside as his eyes got wide and then shot daggers at the seven boys. . He was mad, and like never before.

"Oh never mind, " he spat, "You guys are the ones that caused the huge ruckus and got me in trouble by the principal for 'not moderating the kids'." (insert air quotes and sarcastic hulk voice) "Yeah." he looked at me, obvious hurt and fury in his eyes. "Nice to see you mingling with these troublemakers Hyejin. Didn't know bad boys were your type." he had an edge to his voice and as if his gaze hadn't already cut me, his harsh words had deepened the new wounds.

The drug like effect that had overtaken me when Jimin had hugged me was all gone, and in its place was a slowly bubbling anger. I was about to say something when the tallest one out of the seven boys behind me, who for some reason had dyed his hair a white blonde, said to the president, "We're new here. We don't have our schedules yet, so where can we get them?"

 

Minjoon's expression softened for millisecond, and hardened again, saying,  "Well since you," he said, stabbing a finger at Jimin's direction, "seems to have a special bond to my-" he pointed to himself, "Hyejin, then maybe she-" pointing at me, "should take you guys to the office to get your schedules. Oh and all of you will be getting a warning slip home." he said, glaring daggers at me. He had a soft spot for newbies, but then again, these newbies had caused about as much chaos as the Kingkas on a rampage.

 

I was so done. First he mentally judges me for hugging Jimin and now he's about to ruin my future with a warning slip? I don't think so. "YAH! Seo Minjoon!" I yelled, my anger revealing its ultimate form. "Who do you think you are to ruin my first day of school?!" I pointed an accusing finger at him. "You know about my future! And we legit met like five minutes ago after not seeing each other for three months idiot! And the first thing you do is send a warning slip home? Unbelievable!" I was on full rage mode, and the seven guys were all awkwardly standing about, looking anxious to get away from the situation.

 

As expected, Minjoon was unaffected by my outburst. What was wrong with him?

"Just take them to the office" he said, nonchalantly, obviously not wanting to give a crap about the situation anymore. I let out a noise of disgust in his direction and stalked away towards the office. I might have won more than half of the Science Olympiads and National Debates in our school record, but I could never win against Minjoon. Ugh. He was so annoyingly smart, yet blase about everything. Why is life so unfair?