News From Home

Run Away Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I walked out of my new bedroom and down the hall to the cottage's kitchen.  Gary's mother was standing at the end of the table kneading bread dough.  She had on a common but beautiful red gown, and an old, worn apron. Her hair, even tied up, was almost the length of her back. She turned around and looked at me.  She was covered in flour but you could see that the dress fit her perfectly.

"Ahh, Ji-Yeon dear, could you help me prepare dinner?" she asked. Her voice was calm and sweet, like a morning lark's song.

"Of course ma'am," I replied, smiling then walking towards her.  "What do you need help with?"

"Could you cut those vegetables for the stew?" pointing over to a basket that sat on the counter.

"Yes'm." I picked up a knife and began chopping the various vegetables from the basket.

We worked in silence for many minutes until finally, Eun-hae asked, "So dear, what is it you do at the estate?"

"Um..." I had to think fast.  "I am the handmaiden for the master's daughter, Miss Ji-Hyo."

"Oh, I see. It's a shame about her, especially with her going missing and all."

"I know," I lied. "I hope they find her soon.  I looked down at the carrots and sighed.  No, I don't.  I hope they never find me.

Just then, Luna walked into the kitchen holding an old doll and a tattered teddy bear.

"Ji-Yeon!" she skipped over. "Do you wanna play with me?"

"Sure, Luna," I said, smiling at her.  "just let me finish cutting these vegetables."

"Go on girls," Eun-hae interjected, "I will finish the rest."  She waved us away as Luna tugged on my dress, pulling me towards the family room from before.

Luna skipped over to a chest in the corner of the room and pulled out two dolls.  They were old and tattered and showed signs of a lot of use but were still beautiful.  Luna sat down next to me and handed me one of the dolls.  

"Ohh Miss Ji-Yeon! Your baby is so cute" Luna said smiling and rocking her baby back and forth in her arms.

"Why thank you, Miss Luna!" I bowed my head slightly smiling, putting my baby up on my shoulder and pretending to burp it.

"Uh-oh!" she exclaimed. "My baby pooped!"

We both laughed and began a game of house.

 

We played with baby dolls for a few hours, pretending to feed, rock, and burp them.  We even sang them lullabies and pretended to clean the house.  it was the most fun I had had in the longest time.  It wasn't until I turned and looked towards the door that I noticed Gary leaning against the door frame watching and smiling.  I smiled back and looked into his eyes.  He looked so happy and peaceful.  

Our gaze was interrupted when Eun-hae called from the kitchen, "Dinner!"

Luna hopped up, spinning around in the circle, "Dwin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter