Chapter 6

The Thin Line Between the Truth and Death

A week had gone by so quickly and oddly enough I found myself learning to cope with the new household I was living in. At least I was adjusting as much as I could without losing my mind.

I formed a certain routine that I followed every day. I would wake up early enough so then I could go take a shower and get ready without having any sort of transactions with Yoseob. I would then go down stairs to eat breakfast with the guys, which tended to be eventful with the variety of personalities present. After Dongwoon would walk to school with me because Yoseob refused to walk with me again.

Whatever, I never wanted to walk with him either.

I would go through school and field hockey practice then would meet up with the guys at the park to walk back to the house. From there I would go straight to my room or sometimes I liked to venture around a bit, but most of the time I just did homework until dinner.

Basically, I have been seriously bored.

I have been trying to avoid all of the questions from my team mates as of why the brothers took me away the day I passed out and steering clear from any of the brothers at school, specifically Yoseob.

He had told me he did not want to see my face and that I should at least do that for him since I was intruding into his house basically.

But, seriously. Why do I have to go through such efforts for the likes of him? It’s not my fault all of this happened.

The first field hockey game of the season was coming up so I started to have extra practices over the weekend. Of course I could not leave the house without one of the boys to guide me through the forest.

It was Friday night at dinner. My voice piped up in between their loud chatter. “Um, I have field hockey practice tomorrow.”

All of their eyes turned to look at me. Doojoon pointed his fork at me. “Oh yeah isn’t the first game of the season coming up?” I nodded my head. “Yeah, it’s next Wednesday.”

Hyunseung wiped his mouth with a napkin. “So what’s your point?” Junhyung punched his shoulder. “Her point is that she needs someone to take her through the forest you dimwit.”

Hyunseung raised his fist to Junhyung. “You didn’t have to punch me!”

I rubbed my temples this was along the lines of a usual conversation at the table. Dongwoon stood from his seat to go and separate the two, but as soon as he got in the middle of them he got dragged into the argument as well.

Doojoon, not one to get mad commonly, slammed his fork on the table. The three stopped mid-motion to show Hyunseung grabbing onto Junhyung’s jacket, Junhyung ready to swing his fist again, and Dongwoon sandwiched in between them.

Doojoon cleared his throat. “If you guys are done horsing around then can any of you take Mi Kyung? I have to do something tomorrow so I can’t.”

I turned hopefully to Dongwoon. He was the closest thing I had to an actual best friend in the house. He winced. “Sorry Mi Kyung I sort of procrastinated on an essay and have to do a crash course to finish it up.”

I shook my head. “It’s ok.” Honestly I wasn’t too happy with having Hyunseung or Junhyung walk me since I hadn’t really gotten the chance to get to know them well, but they were my best chance.

They released each other and looked regretfully at me. “Hyunseung and I have to finish a project.” Junhyung spoke.

I gulped. There was only one option left. Damn it. Yoseob the only person who hadn’t talked at all stopped eating from in front of me. He looked up to shoot daggers at me with his eyes.

In reaction a chill ran up my spine. His voice came out stiff as a rock. “I have plans too.” He proceeded with his eating.

Junhyung scoffed. “You never have plans, all you ever do is read.” Hyunseung interjected. “You’re just being stubborn. You’ve been even more of a shut-in lately.”

I already knew that Yoseob had been acting that way because of me. What was I to him? What did I do to make him hate me so much? Am I some sort of disease?!

Yoseob paused and he spoke between his clenched teeth. “I have plans. That’s all.” His voice was firm.

Doojoon sighed and rustled his hair. Clearly out of options.

Suddenly the dining room door opened and Kikwang walked in. He smiled brightly to everyone. “Sorry I’m late I had to take care of some stuff at school. What did I miss?”

It was as if a beacon of light shined on him. He was my last hope. Doojoon quickly realized this too. “Kikwang can you take Mi Kyung to field hockey practice tomorrow? Everyone else is busy and Yoseob is being a douche.”

Kikwang chuckled and took his seat. His eyes smiled at me. “Sure I can. What time do you need to leave tomorrow?”

Yoseob clearly offended by Doojoon’s comment finally lost his cool. “I told you that I’m busy!” Doojoon held up his hands in defense. “Ok, ok calm down.”

I smiled at Kikwang in relief. “Thank you so much. If we could leave at about nine that would be great.” He nodded his head and already set his sights on his food. “No problem.”

I figured my issues were over for the night, but as I was walking to my room Yoseob positioned himself in front of me. This was the first time I had even seen him other than during meals and at school.

I scoffed. “What do I owe this pleasure?” His eyes narrowed down at me. “I thought I told you to never be in my line of sight at the house other than when we eat?”

My arms crossed and I leveled my eyes with his. “Well sorry, it’s not my fault that we are neighbors!” This guy was seriously frustrating. Well, he has been since my first day in that freaking house.

I pointed an accusing finger at him. “I’ve been busting my just to not be seen by you because I felt bad for intruding in your house, but you know what it’s not even my fault that this all happened! You’re the one that decided to touch the dog with your bare hand, it’s not like I forced you!”

His eyes suddenly stricken with the truth for the first time looked away from me. His voice softened surprisingly. “I suppose you’re right. This is all my fault.”

My heart strings pulled. Damn it you just had to say that didn’t you?

He turned towards his door, even his back looked defeated. I grabbed onto the back of his shirt unsure where else to grab a boy with a lethal touch. “Wait, I didn’t mean that.”

He snorted, but didn’t turn around. “Don’t lie, you meant it.”

Frustrated with his sulking I grabbed his shoulder and turned him to face me with all the power I could muster. “Damn it I’ve just been freaking annoyed by trying to avoid you all day. I mean I know your house is huge and all, but you’re my freaking next door neighbor! How can you expect me to perfectly avoid you all the time? That is seriously unrealistic. And, it’s not your fault this happened ok. It’s those stupid witches’ fault ok? So stop wallowing in your room all day and get a tan or something! You’re so pale you could be Edward Cullen’s sibling!”

Realizing my own rant my cheeks flushed. What did I care about how pale his skin was? Why did I even stop him from going inside his room? Why did I even bring up Twilight?!

Yoseob’s face similarly seemed shocked and I prepared myself for an extremely awkward silence, but then suddenly his whole body doubled over and he began to laugh. I think it was probably the first time I had ever heard and seen him really laugh.

I stared at him oddly. “Um, what’s wrong?” He looked up at me and his eyes were glazed over with tears. He spoke in between chuckles. “Out of all the tangents you could have gone off on, you call me Edward Cullen’s brother?”

He stood up straight and looked down at me still slightly laughing, but gradually he was regaining himself. “Seriously you are so unpredictable Mi Kyung. Are you going to claim I sparkle in the sunlight next?”

I punched his arm and grimaced. “Shut up, I’ve seen you in the sun before idiot. Nothing special about you.”

He teased me and stepped forward to lean his face into mine. The close proximity of his face made all of the air in my lungs disappear. I had to admit he was stunning. He smiled. “If there’s nothing special about me then why are you blushing?”

I suddenly realized the heat in my cheeks and shoved him away. My gaze shifted to the ground in embarrassment. “Who wouldn’t when some weird guy leans into their face?”

To retreat from the conversation I quickly walked over to my door, but before I could go inside Yoseob’s voice reached me. “If not seeing me around the house drives you so crazy I suppose I’ll lift that rule. I’ll be generous.”

I heard his door open and click shut.

I opened and slammed my own door shut. I folded my arms together, but could not ignore the burning sensation in my chest. “That conceited jerk. So full of himself.”

The next morning I went down stairs and grabbed something quick to eat from the kitchen pantry and I expected to be greeted by Kikwang at the front door, but instead I saw Yoseob leaning against the door frame in a pair of jeans and a grey sweater that looked too charming for my own dignity to take.

I stopped short half way to the door. “What the hell is going on? I thought you were busy?”

He pushed off the door and shoved his gloved hands in his pockets. His expression did not seem overjoyed either. “There was a sudden change of plans.”

I sighed and tightened the strap on my duffel bag. “What change of plans?” Yoseob trudged over to me and spoke quick and brief. “None of your business alright?”

Unexpectedly he suddenly grabbed my arm with his gloved hand and dragged me out the front door. I tried to yank my arm out of his grasp, but didn’t manage to do so until we were at the entrance to the forest.

I stumbled back a bit and almost fell, but before I could slip Yoseob hooked his arm around my waist and clamped his hand onto my shoulder.

He grunted. “You seriously have issues with listening to people.” Flustered from his arm wrapped around me I jumbled out of his arms and stood at least a foot away from him.

“What the hell, I have issues? You’re the one that drags me around without answering my questions!” He cursed rubbing his ear. “You’re so loud for it being early in the morning.”

I crossed my arms. “I’m not moving an inch until you tell me what happened to Kikwang.” Sheesh I was being such a kid about it, but the guy just so easily aggravated me.

Yoseob sighed and ruffled his hair. “He suddenly had to take care of something and said that he would make it up to me if I took you for him.”

I raised my eyebrows. “I thought you had to do something too?” I spoke sarcastically.

He pursed his lips in response. “I lied ok? You happy?” I smiled and released my arms to play off as if I was overjoyed. “I’m ecstatic!”

He shook his head and suddenly grabbed my hand. “Whatever let’s just go already.”

My heart thumped loudly against my rib cage as we stepped into the forest. I knew it was normal to acknowledge when a guy was good looking or feel flustered when a guy did this kind of stuff like grab your hand.

But as my fingers wrapped around his hand I had to convince myself that that was all this was.   

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey there sorry for the long wait on the update! I've been working on summer homework and what not so I've been a little busy, but I hope you enjoyed this chapter and will continue to read :) Anyways please subscribe, comment, and or upvote!

~Happyfeet