006

Sunny Sides Up

 

'People can tell you to keep your mouth shut, but that doesn't stop you from having an opinion.'
-Anne Frank
blogdivider_full_width.jpg

The door closed with a soft thud, leaving Jongin in the empty hallway. He was rendered speechless, to say the least, but the message was clear.

 

Leaving the situation for another time, he made his way down to the ground floor again and jogged through the rain back to Chanyeol’s car. The wipers were still violently trying to clear the windshield, but the continuous downpour left its mechanic efforts in vain. Jongin hopped into the passenger seat, wiping his hair and clothes because he had gotten wet again. He didn’t greet Chanyeol, which left the latter to frown as he observed his friend.

 

“What got you so suspiciously silent?”

 

Jongin ceased his actions and remained quiet for another moment. His gaze traveled through the bleary windshield to the building in front of them. “I...don’t know,” he said in a low voice, “I’ll get back to you on that one.”

 

At this response, Chanyeol’s scrutiny towards his friend morphed into an amused one together with a snort escaping his thick lips.

 

“Alright then,” he said and shifted his car into drive. The vehicle rolled out of the parking lot onto the main road that Chanyeol would follow to their next and final destination. The ride passed by without conversation, though the radio played soft tunes in the background to fill the silence.

 

They soon reached a fancy neighborhood, thirty minutes away from Nayoung’s apartment complex. The grand houses were kept apart by fresh grass patches and gated driveways that led up to the mansions. Large oak trees bordered the road Chanyeol’s was driving on until he turned into a gritty driveway; the gravel shifted under the weight of the car as it made its way to the front door. It circled around a one-tier fountain until Chanyeol halted at the front door.

 

He would probably never get used to the extravaganza.

 

He glanced at Jongin who had remained silent during the whole ride. His lips were pushed into a firm line, adding an even more serious vibe to Jongin’s clear eyes but frowning eyebrows.

 

“Go up while I park the car,” Chanyeol said as he looked past Jongin through the passenger’s window at the front door. Jongin turned to him, frowning, but the look on his friend’s face seemed to plead for him to not question his request.

 

Instead, Jongin nodded, collected his things and hopped out of the car and up the seven steps to the front door. He caught Chanyeol revving the car a few times before the low humming of the engine decreased as he drove away to park the car. Pursing his lips, Jongin rang the bell. As soon as the door swung open, Jongin found himself getting pulled into the warm hallway, instantly enveloped into a gentle embrace. A familiar peachy scent entered his nose which had him relax into the hug.

 

The woman pulled back with a smile, but slid her hands down his arms until she reached Jongin’s wrists, her fingers loosely circling the skin.

 

“Father didn’t mention you joining us,” she smiled at the man, eyes twinkling with adoration in the dim lighting.

 

Jongin showed her a small grin. “Shouldn’t you be used to my surprise visits by now, Red?”

 

“One never gets used to pleasantries like this,” Sora said with the same amount of playfulness, her lower lip caught between her teeth as she studied his features. Jongin simply chuckled and slipped out of the woman’s hold to hang his coat from a hook. He took out his white dress shirt from his bag and without another word moved to the bathroom to change out of his t-shirt.

 

After his departure, Chanyeol entered the house all but shrugging and shivering because of the cold and wet weather outside. He caught Sora standing in the hallway looking into some direction.

 

“Hey sis,” he greeted the young woman as he rid himself of his coat. When she didn’t respond, he did a quick once-over and noticed her lost gaze directed up the stairs.

 

“What’s wrong with Jongin?” she asked, her voice giving away that she was worried.

 

Chanyeol didn’t catch on.

 

“What? Did he finally reject you in the sweetest way possible? That’s just great,” he said with a chuckle at his own take on their relationship. As far as he remembered, his sister still forever had the hots for his best friend so could one really blame him?

 

“Chanyeol,” Sora pressed on, her voice firm.

 

It was then that Chanyeol noticed that his sister was actually being serious; his smile disappeared as he also looked up the stairs.

 

“Beats me,” he muttered as a lame response, “I’m gonna go change. Inform Mr. Park of my dutiful presence, will you, Red?” And with that he slouched up the stairs, leaving his sister in the hallway. He honestly didn’t know what was up with his friend and doubted he would find out during the night, so he chose to just leave it for another day.

 

He had other things to worry about anyway.

 

Pushing the thoughts away, he swapped his damp t-shirt and jeans for a light woolen sweater and some washed denims and huddled downstairs again, half expecting to see his family and Jongin seated at the dining table. Not entirely wrong, he nodded shortly at his father upon arrival and took a seat to his left, opposite from Jongin.

 

The latter showed him an encouraging smile, but soon averted his attention to Sora who had entered the room with a steaming pot. He quickly stood up to take over the heavy pot and carefully placed it in the middle of the table, earning a thankful smile from Chanyeol’s sister. After filling all their plates, the four fell into a silent meal until Chanyeol’s father spoke up.

 

“Your mother told me your grades have been quite something,” he casually commented, though its nonchalance had Chanyeol’s jaw clenching irritably. He shortly glanced at Jongin and poked his food as he waited for his father to continue.

 

“Wouldn’t expect any less from a lenient program like that.”

 

Closing his eyes as he took a deep breath, Chanyeol’s grip on his utensils tightened.

 

“Could we, for once, not mutilate my choice of education during dinner?” he said calmly, but aggravation was noticeable in the way he spat out his words.

 

Sora switched her gaze between her father and her brother, feeling another explosion coming up. To somewhat ease the situation, she placed her hand on Chanyeol’s lower arm. Luckily her brother didn’t rip his arm away as always, but instead averted his eyes to the gesture.

 

Their father remained silent for a moment as he pursed his lips. “This is your own choice, Chanyeol. I cannot change my opinion just because you feel like doing something as redundant as architecture.”

 

Scoffing, Chanyeol shook his head with a frown, flabbergasted by this new insult. “You do realize that without architecture this freaking house would never have been built, right?” he spat, “Or any structure out there, to be quite honest. Society thrives on status and what better way to flaunt what you got than the amount of unique houses you own.”

 

“You really think it is that easy? You’re even more oblivious than I thought,” his father said and let out a dry laugh. “Once you have earned your diploma, you are thrown into a world where everyone is better than you, or has more potential to reach the top. How do you think you will manage to get a job with thirty other graduates in the same position as you? It’s a race for survival.”

 

Jongin silently chewed on his food, but kept an eye out on his best friend, worried that this time it might escalate even more than before.

 

Chanyeol, however, wasn’t fazed and rolled his eyes. “And who could possibly save me from the big bad world? But of course!” he said as he spread his arms extravagantly, “Park Corporations! Why didn’t I think of that earlier. Tight suits and shiny leather, the business life I have always wanted.”

 

“Park Chanyeol,” his father enunciated his son’s name firmly, “Us allowing you to choose your own path is one thing. But do not speak ill of a company that your family has built from the ground up. You are a Park, so start acting like one.”

 

Chanyeol scoffed. “Then don’t talk about my choices in life, Mr Park,” he finished and angrily took a bite from his food. Sora and Jongin remained silent as they watched both Park’s steely resume with their meal. They knew better than to interfere with the fiery male heads of the family. The air around them was tense and everyone felt anything but at ease.

 

Mr Park, however, was a man of skillfully cloaking his emotions and simply shifted his attention to Jongin who sat to his right.

 

“How are the exams treating you, Jongin? All but straining, I take?” he said and caught Jongin’s attention at once. The younger swallowed away his food and felt his throat dry up at the authoritative flair Chanyeol’s father carried.

 

“Nothing I can’t handle, sir,” he responded as calmly as possible and looked the man dead in the eye. He found him smiling at his answer and nodding once before continuing with his meal. Jongin glanced at Chanyeol who wore a stoic expression, though his hands gave away his true emotion; the fork he was holding nearly bent by the sheer force of his grip.

 

“Thanks for the meal,” Chanyeol seethed through his teeth and stood up, resulting in his chair to screech against the mahogany floor. He threw his napkin onto his plate and with a last glare at his father, stepped out of the dining room.

 

Sora sighed and buried her face into her hands while her father grumbled some low complaints. Left in the middle, Jongin opted to remain silent and finished his meal with the two. Although the situation was anything but normal to the regular citizen, he didn’t feel awkward. This was an event that he had witnessed once too many so one could say it had turned into an almost sick bi-weekly ritual.

 

Sitting out his time, Jongin helped Sora clear the table and wished Mr Park goodnight after the elder had informed them that he would retreat into this study for the rest of the evening. Soon Jongin found himself on the balcony of the other study room on the first floor.

 

He needed a moment for himself after another eventful dinner at the Park’s. But as soon as he was left alone, his thoughts smacked him right in the face.

 

He had been feeling so off the past few days and today seemed like it had reached its limit. He didn’t know why he felt so down. Well, he had an inkling what the trigger might’ve been and why he was suddenly so hyper-aware of things, but he was still confused.

 

He threw his head back and took in a deep breath of fresh post-storm air. The rain hadn’t stopped yet, but it had toned down to a drizzle and it felt quite refreshing when the wind allowed a few droplets to hit his face. The silence that surrounded him was momentarily interrupted by the creaking of the french doors that led to the balcony. When Jongin opened his eyes to meet the visitor, he saw it was his best friend.

 

Chanyeol dropped himself into the lounge chair next to Jongin with a loud sigh. “Nothing tops a fancy family get-together, don’t you think?”

 

Jongin could make out the heavy sarcasm in his friend’s voice and chuckled. “Today was actually quite calm.”

 

“Right?” Chanyeol agreed.

 

Again Jongin laughed, but this time he was joined by his friend. The too soon fell into a comfortable silence, well deserved after dinner. They both had enough on their minds, but still Chanyeol remained worried and curious. He lazily tapped Jongin’s upper arm.

 

“So what got your in a bunch?” he asked as he slouched more into the chair, “I know you said you don’t know, but could you at least give me an indication of whatever got you so worked up?”

 

Jongin followed his example by sitting back into the chair and looked up at the dark and gray sky. “Such eerie weather,” he muttered to himself and searched for the words to say.

 

Chanyeol studied him from the side before nudging his friend again. “Come on, Daisy, give me something.”

 

A smile spread across Jongin’s face at the nickname. He hadn’t heard it in a long time.  

 

Chanyeol took his silence as a moment for him to continue. “Your leg hasn’t stopped bouncing since dinner, Jongin,” he said softly, “even now.”

 

He nodded at his friend’s nervous habit.

 

Jongin forced himself to stop and the action had his smile faltering.

 

“And the obvious fact that Sora wasn’t all over you tonight means she has noticed as well. You’re quite easy to read, Kim,” Chanyeol said and wore a lazy grin. He watched Jongin’s face change into a more pensive one.

 

Finally, Jongin turned his body towards his best friend, a solemn smile covering his features.

 

“It’s my dad.”



 

When Nayoung had checked her schedule, she realized Baekhyun was right and Yixing had indeed been a little lenient on his workers. This happy moment, however, was soon ruined by an invitation she had received a few mornings afterwards through a text from an unknown number.

 

His hair wasn’t hidden by a snapback this time, but pushed back into a neat coupe. His wavy brown locks created a stir in Nayoung’s chest, even now. Because as much as he could pull off a casual look, Minseok had absolutely no problem showing an immaculate combination. He had chosen this dress shirt well; with a white body and black sleeves, one’s eyes couldn’t help but be pulled towards his toned chest that hid behind the thin material.

 

“I was happy you had the time to meet up today,” Minseok spoke up as he lazily stirred his coffee with his eyes focused on the woman in front of him. “I was worried.”

 

Nayoung clenched her hands together under table and crossed her legs at the ankles under her chair. “Why should you be worried?”

 

A tremble hid in her voice and she hoped Minseok hadn’t noticed--he had always been too sharp for his own good. She watched him take a sip from his drink and his upper lip for any remaining cream.

 

“I heard Jinyoung sought you out.”

 

At the mention of the name, Nayoung stiffened.

 

Minseok set his cup on the table and leaned in a bit. “And I want you to know that I had nothing to do with that. Me looking up your father was out of own initiative and worry, nothing more. Jinyoung, on the other hand, I’m not sure.”

 

Nayoung swallowed away the knot that had formed in and averted her eyes. She really didn’t feel comfortable starting this conversation. Carefully, she lifted her cup to take a sip from her tea and closed her eyes for a moment, trying to imagine a happy place that would soothe her emotions. She placed her hands on the table and interlocked her fingers when it didn’t work.

 

She was sure that Minseok had noticed her nervous display, and it was as if he deliberately chose to catch her off guard because of it.

 

“Nayoung, I miss you,” he said softly and placed a hand over Nayoung’ hands. Her eyes widened and averted to his hand. “You moving away came as a surprise to me but I could live with that. You needed your time and I understood. But you disappeared on me, Nayoung. I thought…”

 

He looked down and tightened his hold on her hands.

 

“I thought that you and I had something. But whatever it was, it was put on hold the moment you left.”

 

Speechless, Nayoung watched Minseok’s lower lip disappear between his teeth and his eyes avert to their hands as he gently hers. She felt the warmth of his hands radiate into hers, creating a cocoon of warmth, one that she had missed all this time. Her eyes as well glanced down at their hands and without much thought, she found herself cupping Minseok’s in hers, a fond smile finding her lips.

 

Minseok had said so himself: he felt something for her, but what it exactly was, even he didn’t know. Nayoung was curious but before they could continue their conversation, another presence near their table caught their attention.

 

Nayoung looked up and felt her lips round at the sight of a familiar face who was mouth-deep buried in a scarf, a thicker coat around his body, and his hair left in its natural state: poofy.

 

“I didn’t see you at The Grind so I was wondering where you were,” Jongin said after he had pushed down his scarf so he could speak. His eyes trailed to their hands, then at Minseok, “Guess I figured that one out.”

 

Quickly Nayoung pulled her hands out of Minseok’ and eyed him for a moment. The latter retracted his hands as well, but only had eyes for Jongin as he was curious but observing.

 

“Kim Minseok,” he said and held out a hand for Jongin to take.

 

Jongin hesitated for a moment, but held out his hand as well, giving Minseok a firm handshake. “Kim Kai.”

 

The name resulted in a smile to appear on Nayoung’s face. She remembered him mentioning that he didn’t feel comfortable giving out his name like that and the notion only made him even cuter than he already was. Minseok, on the other hand, didn’t know this fact.

 

“Peculiar name,” he commented and it almost came over as rude, had he not added another statement, “I like it.”

 

He glanced at Nayoung before smiling at Jongin and motioned for him to take a seat. The male kindly declined and instead lifted a paper bag that he was holding.

 

“I just wanted to return something to Nayoung,” he said and averted his gaze to the woman in question. This caught Nayoung’s attention as her eyes widened, glazed over with curiosity. Jongin smiled at this.

 

“Your shirt,” he said and swung the bag in his hand when he saw in Nayoung’s reaction that she didn’t get it. “From the other day?” Jongin clarified and this time Nayoung let out a sound of realization. She quickly took the bag and checked its contents.

 

Minseok almost looked scandalized by the vagueness of the description, but Nayoung simply smiled assuringly at him.

 

Her smile soon morphed into a frown. “Didn’t you say that you dropped by The Grind earlier?”

 

Jongin nodded, to which Nayoung cocked her head in thought. “You could’ve handed it to someone there. It would’ve saved you the trip of finding me.”

 

“Right,” Jongin said after a moment and scratched the back of his head, “hadn’t thought of that, quite frankly.”

 

Chuckling, Nayoung folded the bag into her lap. “Well, lucky you found me,” she said with a subtle beam and looked up at Jongin.

 

A glint filled with emotion washed over his gaze and he nodded softly. “Yeah,” he said as a smile of his own formed on his lips, “yeah, I am.”

 

Silence took over with them simply staring at each other. Somehow the feeling was familiar and it felt natural, but it wasn’t supposed to happen and Nayoung couldn’t look away. The tip of Jongin’s nose was red because of the cold outside, but other than that his features remained as handsome as ever.

 

His gorgeous tan skin still struck her and left her insides to bloom silently.

 

A clearing of a throat broke the silence and pulled Nayoung out of her thoughts.

 

“I guess that is all, Kai?” Minseok asked, resulting in Jongin to snap out of it as well.

 

“Yeah, sorry,” he said and nodded at Minseok. He glanced at Nayoung, giving her a small wave. “See you, then.”

 

“Yeah,” she responded with a subtle smile and watched his retreating figure disappear in the crowd. Sighing inaudibly, she looked down to her lap at the plain paper bag. The shabby paper was ripped near the seams and a little crinkled, but she saw that Jongin had put in the effort to make it look a little more presentable. A smile pushed itself onto her lips as she ran her thumb over the faded surface and felt her stomach churn.

 

“Nayoung,” Minseok caught her attention so she looked away from the bag in her lap and focused on the man again, her smile not leaving the rest of the day.


AN: [9.4.16]