Final

Feeling of First Attempt

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Luhan, Kris and the rest walked until they found a flat spot to put up their tents. The walk was long and Kris and Luhan found themselves lagging behind, whether it was due to fatigue or simply to bask in the presence of the other. Neither of them would admit to anything.

They silent followed the crowd, not saying a word to each, not sparing a glance to the other in shy embarrassment.

“How is this place?” Kris looked up and saw Joonmyeon surveying a spot that was relatively flat.

“Looks good. And the stream is just close by.” Kyungsoo commented.

“Shall set up our tents here?” Yixing asked. Joonmyeon nodded and Kris moved quickly to help the other set up the tents, leaving Luhan behind still trying to catch up.

“Luhan careful. It is slipp- LUHAN!” Minseok shouted in fear and ran towards Luhan. “Oh my gosh! Are you okay?” The rest of the group slowly made their way towards Luhan, except for Kris and Chanyeol who were still busy setting up the tent.

“Ah..” Luhan cried in pain. “I think I twisted my ankle.” He held his hand tightly on his leg attempting to divert the excruciating pain he felt.

“Okay Luhan, breathe.” Minseok guided Luhan through the pain as Kyungsoo set out the first aid kit. “I must say you have some amazing luck.” Minseok attempted to joke. “First you get lost, and then you hurt your ankle. We still have a few more days here, will you survive?” Minseok asked in concern.

“I will be fine.” Luhan whispered as Kyungsoo sprayed his ankle to numb the pain.

“Just let him get some rest.” Kyungsoo told the others, followed by a series of nods.

 

“Hyung, pull it harder.” Chanyeol’s word brought him back to present. Kris had been distracted by Luhan’s fall and his eyes were on him, worrying that he would be alright.

“Hyung!”

“Yes yes, I am doing it.” Kris mumbled as he resumed setting up the tent.

“Shall we do the rest while they are still tending to Luhan hyung?” Kris looked conflicted. He knew he should help, but part of him wanted to check up on Luhan as well.

“Don’t worry hyung. Luhan hyung has everyone beside him, he will be okay.” Chanyeol misunderstood Kris’s distracted gaze as worry for Luhan’s health because he was Joonmyeon’s friend.

There were people around Luhan, and if he needed anything, they were more than capable to help than him. He realized that Luhan probably didn’t need him around so he might as well just help Chanyeol with the tents.

“Okay, let’s finish these.”



 

Kris and Chanyeol managed to set up another 3 tents before the rest came back to help them out. Minseok carried Luhan on his back and let him sit by the fireplace.

“Okay, just sit here. I still need to find some more wood to light up the fire. The fire will do you good.” Minseok crouched by Luhan and look at him in concern. “I am sorry you are having a terrible time. I shouldn’t have forced you when Joonmyeon suggested this trip.” Minseok felt guilty for the things that happened to Luhan so far.

But Luhan wasn’t sad at all. His gaze secretly went on the tall figure that was working hard setting up the tents. He didn’t want Minseok to know yet, he didn’t want to confirm anything.

“It’s okay Seokie.” Luhan smiled brightly to reassure his friend. “I am okay here, I am not bored. But you may need to help the others. The tents are taking a while.” Luhan grinned as Minseok whined before leaving Luhan and helping the others.

Luhan wasn’t upset. He took the opportunity of his sprained ankle to observe the taller.

Kris was handsome. His brown hair glowed in the sun giving it a bronze copper haze. He was concentrated on the setting up the tents. Luhan noticed how he would tighten his jaw in concentration, or how we would send smiles of satisfaction when he would finish setting up the tent, or how he would motivate (was it Changyeon?) his friend too keep going and to finish setting up everything.

Luhan watched in silent admiration of a man he had never before.

They only met a few days ago because of this trip.

And although things have happened to Luhan, he didn’t regret.

 

Why should he?


 

 

 

 


 

Baekhyun and Jongin had gone to find some firewood but for the meantime Sehun and Chanyeol set up a small fire for Luhan with nearby sticks and grass.

“This should be fine for now hyung, Baek and Jongin will be back with more firewood.” Luhan nodded and watched how everyone set off to work.

In some ways he felt guilty that he couldn’t help them. He could be there helping everyone and he was sitting there like an extra load doing nothing but stare at the fire.

Minseok, Kyungsoo, Joonmyeon and Tao went to find some food. Yixing and Jongdae went to explore the jungle a bit more. Luhan deduced that the two had developed a liking for each other and he went they weren’t just going to explore the jungle. The only ones at the camp were Chanyeol, Sehun, Kris and himself.

Chanyeol and Sehun were now helping Kris preparing some food.

“Hyung, you have been tired. Why don’t you sit with Luhan hyung and give him company?” Luhan’s ears perked at that suggestion. He didn’t turn around to look at Kris, but he stared at the fire harder hoping that Kris would take up the offer.

“No its okay.” Luhan slumped at those words. “There are a lot of us and we haven’t done much. The rest will be coming and I am sure they will be hungry.” Luhan those words were true, but that didn’t mean it didn’t make him sad. He decided to block out the conversation behind him. He didn’t want to hear more.

 

“It’s okay hyung.” Sehun pressed. “We got this. And plus you already did most of the work.” Kris had been preparing things they got from the previous day; he knew that the four who went to find food would come late. Starting then would take a long time.

“And plus Luhan hyung is getting bored.” Chanyeol mumbled not wanting Luhan to hear they were talking about him. “I know you don’t know him that well, but please hyung. I feel bad for Luhan hyung.” Chanyeol pleaded.

Kris turned to look at the lone figure sitting up the fire.

“And take some marshmallows as well. Luhan hyung likes them.” Kris nodded and went to the food bag to get some.

 

 

 



 

“Here. I heard you like them.”

Luhan was surprised when Kris sat beside him holding a stick with a marshmallow pierced on top.

“Thank you.” He mumbled shyly and leaned forward to roast it, Kris soon following the same.

The two remained quiet, not saying a work to each other. It felt like the time they were in the cave together. Except this time, they were alone. They could still hear the faded conversation and the soft laughters behind them.

“How” Luhan turned to give his full attention. “How is your ankle?”  Kris motioned towards his feet.

“Oh.” Luhan looked to his bandaged ankle. “It hurts, but the pain has reduced quite a bit.” Kris nodded in understand.

“If you…If you need anything, you can ask me.” Kris offered. He hoped he sounded confident, he hoped his voice did not waver, but what was inside was the complete opposite.

Kris was really nervous to talk to Luhan.

Luhan did not notice that turmoil the other was facing, he felt elated that Kris offered to help him. It was a silent permission to keep calling for him and to spend time with him on the pretext of ‘help’.

“I shall. Thank you.” Luhan hid his shy smile by biting on the roasted marshmellow.


 

 

 

 


 

“If you see there, can you see it?” Jongdae pointed at the star. “That is the big diper and…”

Jongdae was having an astronomy 101 session. Everyone eagerly looked up trying to find the dipper Jongdae was talking about, sometimes asking him for help or something asking the person beside them to follow. And once found they would let out a quiet ‘Wow…’

Luhan and Kris were away from the crowd. They were still sitting by the fire. Kris mentioned that he would stay with Luhan to give him company and the other deemed it was okay and went to a darker place so they could stargaze without distraction.

The night was approaching and it was getting chillier by the passing minute.

“Let me get you a blanket.” Kris stood up before Luhan could protest and went to find a blanket. Luhan felt a bit empty and watched Kris rummage through his bad to find the blanket.

“Here.” Kris opened the blanket and wrapped Luhan with it complete and sat beside him.

“No, you are cold too.” Luhan mumbled as he lifted the end slightly.

“No no, it’s okay.” Kris protested.

“It will be like what happened to those packet of chips. Please, let’s shared.” Luhan smiled as he wrapped Kris with half the blanket.

And they were both quiet again, this time with an air of awkwardness to it.

They hadn’t spoken about what happened in the cave until Luhan mentioned it now.

“I-” They both started and stopped together.

“You first.” Kris said.

“No, you go first.” Luhan bit his lip in amusement.

“I-” Kris started.

“OKAY TIME FOR DINNER!!!!” They both heard Chanyeol shout on the top of his lungs and they shifted apart.

Kris got up and left Luhan in a hurry and went to help Kyungsoo cut the meat before serving. Luhan felt lost. Kris just left and a group of people surrounded the fire place. Minseok sat next time and wrapped the blanket tighter around the younger.

 

 

 

 

 


 

Kris was sitting next to Tao and Yixing during dinner. Luhan watched him from the other side.

“Do you like Kris?” Minseok whispered.

Luhan’s eyes widened and his first instinct was to say no.

“Don’t lie.” Minseok frowned when he guessed Luhan’s intentions. “He is a good guy. Did something happen in the cave?” He asked softly, not wanting the other to hear.

Luhan gave a shy nod.

“I am sorry then.”

“Why?” Luhan was taken aback by the sudden apology.

“I should have given you more time. It has been so long since you last went out with someone. But back then I was so scared I was would lose you.” Minseok’s voice was sad, and Luhan heard slightly quivers.

“It’s okay Seok. Really, it’s fine.” Luhan smiled.

“I will try to help you. I know that you don’t know much, but I promise I will help you. I feel terrible as a friend.”

“Oh Minseokie…” Luhan laughed in gladness and gave his best friend a hug not realizing that on the other side of the fire someone felt sad and heartbroken due to misunderstandings.

 

 

 

 

 


 

“Hyung, aren’t you going to your tent?” Chanyeol asked Kris.

“No, I will just sort these things out before sleeping.” His friends had to chuckle at that. It was such a Kris-like thing to do. Everything had to be in order for him to sleep.

“Then let me help you.” Arguing would be pointless, it was best to just get it done and over with it.

“No its fine. You have been tired. Just go sleep.” Kris smiled and told his friends that he could manage.

He could and he would. Especially after Luhan said he wanted to sit by the fire for a while. His own group of friends told him it was okay that Luhan should call them when he wanted to come sleep in his own tent.

When everyone retired to their own tents, Kris silently prepared some coffee (a hint from Minseok) and sat beside Luhan.

“Here, have some.”

“Now? I definitely won’t be able to sleep then.” Luhan grinned but took the styrofoam cup anyways. “Thank you for this.” Luhan mumbled and took a sip. It wasn’t what he usually drank, but Kris made it. So he would will himself to enjoy it.

Kris said nothing and sipped on his own coffee.

“Today was some day.” Kris spoke, his gaze was far, staring at the night sky.

“It has.” Luhan looked at the night sky.

“Is that a lilac bush?” Kris pointed at the flowering bush that neither noticed before. He got up and picked a few flowers from it.

Luhan could smell the sweet fragrance floating in the air. He could see the color of it but when he stepped closer he could see the soft colors of purple and lavender on its petals.

“I have never seen a lilac bush in the wild. But I guess in spring one can expect a lot of them.” Kris spoke while looking at the sprigs he brought for him.

“Take this.” He gave it to Luhan. And the smaller shyly accepted it, taking in the soft scent of the flower.

“I did a mini course of flowers.” Luhan looked up at Kris. This was probably the most they were talking, but Luhan liked the sound of Kris’s voice. It was slightly deep and husky. It almost felt like wood. He didn’t know how to explain it, but Kris’s voice reminded him of oak wood.

Strong, deep, distinct.

“And I learnt the meaning of flowers. After that I would make bouquets of flowers according to what the customers wanted.”

“Why did you take it up? I thought you were studying business?” Luhan asked. That was what Joonmyeon told him.

“I am. But I just like doing it for the sake of it doing it.” Kris leaned down to get a stick to poke in the fire, letting the fire grow a bit more. “That day the flowers seemed to call out for me, so I decided to give it a try.”

Luhan nodded and turned to look at the flickering fire.

“Do you remember the meaning of this flower then?” Luhan asked.

“Yes.”

“What does it mean?”

“I won’t tell you today.”

Luhan didn’t press further.

 

 

 

 

 



 

The two stayed up for another hour before they decided it was wise to sleep otherwise they would be tired tomorrow.

The fire had died a long time ago, but their simple casual conversation didn’t stop. They wanted to know more about the other and time wasn’t allowing that. Time kept going faster for them.

“Don’t disturb Minseok, you can sleep in my tent.” Kris offered. He had his own tent.

“Are you sure?” Luhan worriedly looked up at Kris, but the darkness of the night failed him as he couldn’t see what emotions could possibly be showing on Kris’s face.

“I am sure. I will help you.” And before Luhan could process anything, Kris lifted him in his arms and walked quietly towards his tent.

“You didn’t have to pick me up like that.” Luhan mumbled shyly, turning his face away.  But Kris said nothing and carefully lay Luhan on his sleeping and wrapped him with the blanket.

After a few minutes of settling down himself, Kris zipped the tent and lay down beside Luhan.

“Good night.” He heard Luhan whisper.

 

“Good night.”

 

And both of them fell asleep.








 

Luhan woke up with a jerk. Damn, he overslept. He squinted his eyes and saw he wasn’t in Minseok’s tent and the memories from last night flooded in. Damn, he should be out there helping everyone, but he slept and now Kris-

He turned to see that Kris was no longer beside him but instead a bouquet of purple Lilac with a small note was there.

The fragrance was as sweet as it was last night.

He opened the note to see what was written.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 







 

Purple Lilacs - First Emotion of Love