Three

on the run with exo

I fell asleep in Kris’ car the night before. I don’t know where I slept but bright and early I was pulled off back to the parking garage. I remember Sehun being a since I wanted to get myself into Chanyeol’s car but he “had to ride with his precious hyung” or something.

They still won’t let me touch any of the cars. I mean I don’t blame them. They’re hundreds of thousands of dollars to begin with. I’m sure with all the modifications and paint jobs, they’re worth millions each. So then, why exactly are we trying to wreck them?

That’s right. Apparently our current training mission is to drive these cars down impossibly steep slopes. Luckily we’ve engineered them in the parking garage. I mean, from a policy standpoint it makes sense. Whenever I eavesdropped on officials training my brother for his political career, they always stressed how important the rugged mountains that cut through these two countries are. The geography defines our population’s needs around here.

And yet, I’m here gripping onto the lush leather stitching in Sehun’s deep green Aston Martin Vulcan as we descend a 45 degree smooth stretch of fresh dried asphalt. I manage to look out the window and see Tao’s (matching with Sehun I guess?) Aston Martin chrome Vanquish overtake us.

“Who…even… drives a green car….” I muttered between gasps as Sehun pounded the accelerator and furrowed his eyebrows at the road.

“WHO… EVEN… ACCELERATES DOWN A SLOPE….” I gasped louder.

“It’s green like money.” That’s all Sehun said until a minute later, “and weed.” And then he turned to me. While we’re going down this impossibly long road to our death, I’m sure! And he winks.

I clenched my muscles, bracing for impact, but Sehun slammed the brakes once. We jolted back for a millisecond and stopped right where we were. In the middle of the track. Wow, talk about a supercar.

We drove back up to the top, where headquarters were. There were less people hanging around today.

I got out of the car but Sehun stayed inside, eyes locked on something in the distance. Oh well, I guess he’s nervous.

I walked over to the couch behind the mechanic tools and sat down. Just as my legs hit the soft material, I was interrupted again.

“OH GUYS LOOK AT THE CAMERA”

I ran over to the security camera feed where some of the other guys were already huddled. In front of the garage, Tao’s car burst through the sheet metal walls with his car and bolted down the road in front. Military cars were in hot pursuit, chasing him down the rain-soaked streets.

Chanyeol grabbed me and I should have swooned, but I had my battle face on. Camo tanks were filing into the garage and breaking through our barriers. It was no use activating the doors to shut if the tanks could just break them down. Kai and Sehun took off in the Vulcan. Chanyeol shoved me into the passenger seat of a black Hummer H3 and managed to squeeze himself in there too, shutting the door quickly. It all happened in a matter of seconds. And we were off.

I looked over at the driver and saw a short, serious man with an unreadable expression. I looked questioningly at Chanyeol, who also looked worried. I covered my gasp with my hands as a row of five tanks cut off our exit. They managed to ascend to where we were already?! This is it. This is how I die. I can’t believe this.

Just then, the driver smiled.

He gunned the accelerator at max power and turned the wheel all the way to the right, HARD. My body slammed into Chanyeol who was grabbing the car’s metal frame for support. I heard gunshots outside. There’s no way these windows were glass. Even bulletproof glass couldn’t resist something like this.

As if he read my thoughts, the driver responded calmly, “my windows are unreleased technology that I made myself. It’s transparent titanium. Now brace for impact.”

Chanyeol and I grabbed whatever we could in the car’s body. This guy was crazy. The Hummer forced its way through the line of tanks, spinning wildly on its side to take the vehicles in its way out like a tackling rugby player. It felt like we would spin forever, until the driver somehow straightened us out with absolute precision.

That's when we started the descent all the way to the bottom. I was reliving the artificial slope that Sehun managed to pull off earlier today. Somehow I felt like this Hummer wouldn’t make it quite so smooth. I glanced behind us while Chanyeol was already on his phone making plans with the other guys. The military cars were in pursuit. Chanyeol pulled down a menu on the car console and punched in a code.

Suddenly wind and rain drenched our windshield. What is going on?

We didn’t stop, our tires screeched with an unnatural impact into the road, making a perfect banked turn in the process and leaving us completely intact. We headed the opposite way of Tao, who was headed for the freeway to the capital.

Ten seconds later I saw a line of tanks miss the turn and drive directly off the elevated road. The sounds of metal colliding and deforming set my ears on fire.

Another five seconds later I saw the entire parking garage explode. Chanyeol grinned at me and patted my head. “Welcome to EXO.”

The driver pulled off the road and into the absolute dark. The rain was thick and drenching the air around us. We finally slowed to a reasonable pace as we made our way through the woods.

“I’m Kyungsoo. Looks like we’ll be working together.”