Bundle of Entertainment

Let's Not Fall In Love

The meeting was over and everyone was doing their best to get out of there as soon as possible, not glancing twice at each other. Jungseok smirked as he passed Hyungsik’s chair, going back to work with a very content mindset. Heechul got a phone call and retreated into his office, patting Hyungsik’s head on the way out. The one who remained seated with a blank expression was Park Hyungsik hismelf. He could still hear a faint echo repeating Miran’s final words before the meeting ended. “I’m counting on you, chief editor, to teach me what real romance is.” Was she messing with him or was she serious? Hyungsik sighed and rubbed his forehead, feeling like he got responsible for something he wanted to avoid as much as possible.

On the way to the elevator, he couldn’t help but wonder why she said something like that when everything he has done in the past two days was to be a smartass and try to intimidate her with cliché stories and bad authors.

Waiting in front of the elevator with the easiest going behavior he has ever seen was the culprit herself.

“What are you doing?” He sneered leaning a bit towards her.

The tip of her lips curved lightly, bemused that such a simple affirmation could stir him up. She coughed and regained her serious expression before she turned to look at him.

“I haven’t done anything yet.” She responded innocently.

Hyungsik rolled his eyes and placed his hands inside his jeans’ pockets, “If you need a romance teacher you should ask your cousin. He knows better than anyone.”

“But Jinhyuk is not my boss. You are.” Miran stated, annoying Hyungsik because she was right.

“How would that help you with this project of yours? It won’t help your authors.” Hyungsik asked, tapping his foot thinking that the elevator was insufferable for taking so long.

Miran chuckled and fully turned to him, one eyebrow raised tauntingly, “I want Woohyun’s, Sunny’s and Hakyeon’s romance books on the front shelves where the most famous books are placed. For that, I need their latest work. Besides, I can use Soohyuk and his model friends to spread the word and make the Carousel my library.” She explained in a business tone.

“Your library? The ones big enough to get in the Carousel are Choi Jinhyuk and Hwang Tiffany. You keep dreaming, newbie.” Hyungsik retorted, the elevator finally getting to their floor.

Both editors walked in and Hyungsik pushed the button for their floor. Miran linked her arms behind her back and faced the doors with a poker face.

“Tonight I’m going to stay here and read everything in our library,” She started.

Hyungsik’s eyes widened at the mention of that.

"There are too many for one person.” He said acting as if his affirmation was relevant.

“I never said I’ll do it by myself.”

 

It was already past eight o’clock and even the workaholics left to take a quick nap in the lounge yet not Miran. She installed herself in the back of the office, reading book after book without a break ever since she announced Hyungsik of her plans. The chief editor didn’t aid her in any way; he was actually busy with his own work and the numerous unknown manuscripts that he was forced to go through by Heechul.

French Kisses was the title of Jinhyuk’s most famous and awarded novel even it wasn’t exactly about kisses or France. It was the story of two lovers who first met in Jeju before fate brought them together in several more places. Miran was past half into it and her eyebrow was twitching. The dialogue between the two lovers was too juicy for her taste but everything else was very well written and throughout researched.

“How is it going?”

Miran needed a few moments to realize that someone was really speaking to her. Her brown eyes rose to meet the face of the most innocent and adorable looking horror editor.

“I’m disgusted and overly annoyed.” She responded bluntly.

Joohyuk chuckled and sat next to her, grabbing a book from the pile on her right. Doing so, he had to lean over her like in those sappy Korean dramas that Miran avoided all through her teenage years. Once he leaned back, he looked at her expectantly.

“How did that feel?”

Miran bit her lip, trying not to make a rude remark about how it felt like he should go out more and confront the real life.

“I don’t find you attractive, sorry. It felt awkward and strained and I wanted to punch you in the face.” Miran was surprised she could be so sincere with someone she met a few days ago but he asked for it.

Joohyuk, on the other hand, seemed surprised for a moment before he started to laugh and dived into the romance book called 1001 Things I Love about You. Miran shuddered slightly, remembering that was one of the books her former boyfriend liked.

 

When Hyungsik entered the office after a bathroom break, he found Joohyuk reading next to Miran who was sleeping. He walked over and kicked her lightly in the leg but she didn’t even flinch. Seeing as it was quite funny to see her so vulnerable and that smartass mouth shut, the chief editor smirked and bent in front of her, positioning himself so he could flick her forehead. Really, she was asking for it with everything she said in the conference room.

He chuckled to himself and leaned forward a bit so he could get closer. Hyungsik was staring at her, scanning her face so he could assure himself that she wasn’t going to wake up right in the middle of his little ‘joke’ as he was calling it in his head.

It’s not even going to hurt. She won’t feel anything, he told himself before raising his hand and reaching towards her forehead.

Unfortunately, Myungsoo walked into the office and noticed the peculiar position Hyungsik was in. From his side, it looked like he wanted to do something erted to her. Myungsoo knew that wasn’t the case because his boss wasn’t that kind but he couldn’t help himself from making everything more complicated. With those evil thoughts, the Sci Fi editor hurried and kicked Hyungsik’s , pushing him over Miran.

Her eyes opened abruptly, scaring the out of her boss.

“Why don’t you look surprised that I’m over you?” He asked, feeling very uncomfortable yet not moving off yet.

Miran placed her hands on his shoulders and waited a few seconds before answering.

“I can’t feel anything from this position.”

For some reason,Hyungsik’s mind registered that statement as very naughty and blushed. Miran was straight in front of him so it was difficult to pass the occasion and make fun of him.

“Do you feel something? You’re blushing.” She spoke loudly for Myungsoo and Joohyuk to hear.

Hyungsik's eyes widened and he quickly got off her and wiped himself off.

“You’re not cute at all,” He muttered as he narrowed his eyes at her before remembering what she was doing. “Get up and go home. Tomorrow morning you have to meet Woohyun for his new book. Go prepare notes or something,”

He was embarrassed and it was obvious for everyone, making it even worse for him. Hyungsik’s eyes were still red when he grabbed a book from the pile on the floor and realized it was Tiffany’s Paper Kisses. It was a very complex book about the love between two couples from different times somehow transcending time and space in their love. It was very well written and it got her a lot of awards and fame yet-

“That book is bull.” Miran mumbled as she got up. “Besides, she literally squeezed the plot from another English book that was made into a movie some time ago.”

Hyungsik raised an eyebrow but Joohyuk was the one to ask, “What’s the name of it?”

It took a while for the young editor to register what Joohyuk asked and it was even worse when she realized she forgot the title since romance wasn’t exactly her taste.

“Look it up yourself. You’re a big man…boy,” She rambled in a hurry before taking a quick glance at Myungsoo –who was definitely not buying anything she was saying. “Anyway, as the boss said I should go home and prepare some notes or something,” She took care to imitate him before leaving while she still had her pride intact.

Right after she got out the door, Myungsoo turned towards Hyungsik with a bright smile and a funny glint in his eyes.

“Well, isn’t she a spontaneous bundle of entertainment. We should keep her for more than a month.”

Hyungsik rolled his eyes and walked to his desk grumbling the sentence he has been repeating ever since Miran got hired.

“She won’t make it so long.”