Coincidences Happen

Let's Not Fall In Love

Once Miran started to read, she realized most of the questions were more or less connected to her cousin’s latest novel. It seemed that Choi Jinhyuk knew so much about love and had so much experience that every book and story was relatable thus exceeding sales' expectations.

Miran looked up from the papers, her eyes trailing over every editor before they fell on Hyungsik. Her chief was on a lollipop whild typing relentlessly on his laptop, taking a peek from time to time at Myungsoo who was doing nothing at all.

She her lips, feeling like she has been taken for a fool and placed the survey aside as she started to read her schedule and her appointed authors. As her eyes fell over every name and title, her left eyebrow started to twitch; they were all romantic authors, some of them new and completely inexperienced.

“Is there something wrong?” Ji Soo asked from his desk.

Miran nodded and glanced at the name before she raised her head to the young man.

 “Who is Nam Woohyun?”

Myungsoo heard the two talking and leaned his chair back.

“That’s my friend!” He started before he got up and walked towards her. Ji Soo grabbed his chair and moved on her left while Myungsoo leaned on her right in order to read the list, "Woohyun is a really good romance author and wrote Two Minds, One Heart and A Woman Like You.”

“Aren’t those really corny books? I heard they had to take them off the market because they wouldn’t sell; none." Miran commented, feeling annoyed.

Ji Soo chuckled and waited expectantly for Myungsoo to take his friend’s side; only, he didn’t.

“That is true,” He trailed, thinking carefully how to defend his friend even if his work wasn’t the best, “He had bad luck and a bad editor. Besides, he’s not as corny as he seems.” Myungsoo smiled sweetly and patted her back, “Make him famous, madame editor."

“I-“ She couldn’t say another word because Myungsoo left and Ji Soo retreated to his desk.

Miran sighed and looked on the list, finding a name she hasn’t seen since she graduated high school: Kim Youngkwang.

 

“Oppa! Thanks for meeting me here,” A younger and simpler version of Miran smiled softly at her childhood crush, “I wanted to speak to you.” She started.

They were in the library, somewhere in the far corner so no one could hear them. She was fidgeting nervously, her eyes glancing between Youngkwang and the books behind him.

“So, what’s the matter?” He asked, this eyes of his staring at her with curiosity.

“Well,” She stopped and turned around, hiding her face from him, “I really like you,” she mumbled in her hands.

Youngkwang frowned and wrapped his hands around her, only trying to understand why she was suddenly acting so shy in front of him. She was the girl who head locked him in the corridor; the one who pushed him so hard during PE that he almost broke his hand and the one who was always goofy around him and the rest of his family.

“What? Is it so bad that you’re acting so girly?” He laughed but she froze, “Really, what is it Miran?”

The girl turned around and looked into his eyes, the small distance between them being suddenly very awkward. She took one breath before she repeated her sentence.

 “I actually like you as in more than just a friend.”

Youngkwang’s smile fell into a thin line as he registered her confession.

“What?” He whispered when he finally understood.

Miran blushed and closed her eyes, taking silence as a bad start. Unconsciously, she took a step back, enough to hit the shelves and have a book or two fall straight on her head. At the amusing sight, Youngkwang laughed and pulled her into his arms.

“You always have that surprising factor, don’t you? This is surprising, I never expected you out of everyone to confess to me,” He started, his grasp on her loosening a bit, “But I think you will have to wait for a while. I’m leaving for the States next month.”

Miran groaned, “So my confession is useless.”

“Not exactly. One day we will meet again and I’d like you to confess to me again. You might be surprised by the answer.” He whispered, looking down at her with those big sparkling eyes.

“Great,” She mumbled, putting the paper on the desk before rubbing her face.

Her personal life was getting more and more complicated and work wasn’t helping ease any professional pressure.

 

 

An hour later, Miran completed the survey and gave it to Hyungsik personally. She actually walked all the way from one corner of the room to the other and it felt like the walk of shame for some reason.

“Well? How was it? Did you feel uncomfortable, awkward and keen to begin your demise?” He was so blunt that she felt like hitting him in the face with the ruler.

“I don’t understand what does Choi Jinhyuk’s work has to do with me as an editor." She answered him in the same firm, professional manner even if he was speaking like he was continuously making fun of her.

Hyungsik sighed and got up, walking past her to the shelves of books.

“A majority of Kim&Kim’s fame is thanks to Choi Jinhyuk. As a matter of fact, I worked with him during my trainee days in the firm. He taught me that a good romance comes from real life experiences not fairy tales and I should help my authors find that experience that will change their lives and works. I want you to do the same.”

He spoke so seriously that she lost focus at some point.

 “Wait, you want me to help them discover romance? Me?” She repeated, pointing at herself.

“Yep. So take your authors and embark on a journey to Loveland!” He exclaimed, being extremely bemused by her poker face, “Also, if you don’t take your work seriously, you will suffer consequences that may or may not leave you jobless." Hyungsik added in a professional tone, completely opposing the rainbows and sunshine he rambled before.

Miran was ready to say something but someone entered the office, someone who recognized her.

“Choi Miran! How nice to see you here. I’m Yura!”

Miran tilted her head to the side as the girl ran over and hugged her like they haven’t seen in ages.

 “Oh my, it’s been so long. I last saw you at Soohyuk’s farewell party!”

Oh right, now she remembered. Yura worked as a part time model at Soohyuk’s modeling agency and had an on and off relationship with one of Soohyuk's friends. There were so many people that Miran got confused with names several times and called Soohyuk’s girlfriend by a different name because she looked like someone else; that might or might not have been by mistake.

“It’s been two years! I decided to take a more serious job and now I work here in Human Resources.” Yura explained, Miran frowning since she was still stuck on remembering that farewell party.

Hyungsik glanced between the two girls and chuckled when he noticed Miran’s distant look. She was looking straight through Yura, having no interest whatsoever to what she was saying.

He decided to interfere, only this time, and hopefully get another chance to annoy his new employee.

“We’re busy here, Yura. Wait until break time and you can take her on a tour around the building.”

Yura nodded eagerly and waved before she left, leaving something on Ji Soo's desk.

“You better prepare yourself mentally. She’s going to tell you everything that’s happened in the last two years of her life." Hyungsik encouraged Miran before returning back to work.