Breaking News

Let's Not Fall In Love

Unlike how Miran might have looked for outsiders, she was not the type to rebel against her family even if it did look so. No, she never fought with her parents and she was submissive to her mother's requests. Miran's most insufferable soft spot was her younger brother, Minhwan and close enough came Soohyuk. Thus, once she entered her apartment that night and found both her weak spots playing video games, she couldn't help but ler her cold mask fall and become "family Miran". As soon as she walked in she closed the door with her foot and fell limp on the couch, next to her brother.

"You can't imagine how much trouble it is for a newcomer when one hears I'm dating a supermodel." She grumbled in the pillow, raising her head to glare at her best friend.

"Supposedly date. I don't have any intention to do anything with you." Soohyuk corrected her, taking his eyes off the game for just a second before returning to the TV.

Minhwan chuckled, "I saw the article. It's either genius or really stupid."

Miran responded by grabbing the pillow and hitting each of them in the head, "Such overflowing love... even strangers sympathize with me more than you do,"

"You've been spoiled for a long time," Minhwan stated coldly before winning the game to Soohyuk's disappointment, "How was work? How's your boss?" Minhwan continued the questioning like he was a detective in training.

"After the rumor spread, not very well," She started, cringing when the memories surfaced.

 

"So, what's the plan?" She asked Soohyuk after she called him.

"Um, I don't really know, I haven't figured out that much. But we should talk about it at home. Go work now," He said and hung up, annoying her.

When Miran entered the office, Myungsoo was clearly staring at her bemusedly while Ji Soo and Joohyuk were trying really hard not to. Hyungsik was flipping through the pages of a book before he raised his head and looked at her scornfully.

"Did you enjoy the tour?" He asked nonchalantly.

Miran raised an eyebrow at the tone Hyungsik used even if it wasn't that harsh. 

 "It was beneficial," She answered on the way to her desk.

"By the way, tomorrow morning I need you to go check on Woohyun before going around."

"Going around? What for?" She asked curtly.

"Exploring. But it's alright I will try not to get your model boyfriend jealous." He teased bluntly with a wide smirk on his face.

Miran's head snapped towards her boss, "I don't have a model boyfriend."

Hyungsik chuckled and looked straight into her eyes, “Don’t play stupid, Miran. I’ve seen him before, haven’t I? The guy from the club,” He got up and turned his screen to his conputer around, showing her exactly what he was reading.

Miran frowned and walked closer, her eyes squinting in order to see the words. She was aware what news he was speaking of but decided to play stupid and see his reaction. From what she could remember, she met Hyungsik while partying with Soohyuk. 

“Breaking News, model Lee Soohyuk has made a new conquest. As we have heard from our inside source, they have been living together- that’s it, he’s moving out.” She stated, grabbing her phone and rushing out.

The boy remained on their seats, each with their personal poker face. It was interesting to see how the company will react to all the mess Miran was bringing along.

“Isn’t this going to bite us in the later?” Myungsoo asked, turning to his boss.

Hyungsik blinked innocently while already getting interested in other news on the internet.

"What is?”

Ji Soo glanced at Joohyuk before both of them turned to Hyungsik as well. The chief editor sighed and paused whatever short YouTube video he started.

“They’re not a couple. We don’t have to worry about a possible scandal or anything press related. She will definitely make it public that they’re only good friends.” He assured his co-workers confidently.

Joohyuk raised an eyebrow and rolled his chair so he was facing his screen instead of Hyungsik's head.

“You sound suspiciously confident,”

“Have you seen her reports and reviews on her previous workplaces? That girl doesn’t know what romance is and has no interest in finding out. She won’t resist in here for more than a month and Heechul knows it.” Hyungsik continued in a stricter voice.

Ji Soo frowned, “Then why did he hire her?”

Hyungsik shrugged, “Maybe he owes Jinhyuk sunbae a favor.”

That statement was really cold, especially when it was coming from such a laid back person like Hyungsik. He sighed and shook his head, trying to get rid of anything about his new employee. It was better if she could just leave and go to her family’s company. Hyungsik didn’t want to work with someone so uptight and selfish; he was editing romance, after all.

Unfortunately, after Miran rushed out the door she didn’t leave the floor. Hyungsik’s voice was loud and easily reached the girl waiting for the elevator. Miran felt a tinge of sadness and she wasn’t sure if that was a piece of her pride breaking or something else.

 

She decided not to get the two boys involved into her issues so she didn’t tell Minhwan and Soohyuk the last part.

“If it’s that troublesome I can say we’re not dating and I was just messing around to hide my real girlfriend’s identity or something...” Soohyuk started when he saw her frown.

“What real girlfriend?” Minhwan asked, his wide eyes widening even more. Soohyuk waved him off focusing only on his best friend, “And what about Minho? Have you told him about-“

“Minho and I broke up yesterday night,” She mumbled, her mood dropping even more, “He found someone else who cooks for him and asks unnecessary questions that I never bothered to ask because I already knew or he would tell me without having me ask." She was rambling and both boys knew the reason why.

“Well,”

Minhwan was in no place to say anything but seeing her sitting there looking down at her hands was making him feel like a bad little brother.

 “You can do better. It's his loss.” He tried to be positive but he knew she wasn’t going to get over it with alcohol and tons of work from a new job.

“He’s right, Miran. Why don’t you tell us about your co-workers? I’m really curious who those poor souls are,” Soohyuk changed the subject quickly.

Miran rolled her eyes but smiled nonetheless, hitting her best friend and brother before leaning back.

“They are definitely not as unfortunate as you two s. Tonight you will stay up with me and help me research the authors I have in charge.”

Minhwan glanced at Soohyuk before he grabbed his jacket and waved at the two, “I just remembered I have to draw the next chapter tonight. See you!” He shouted and left the apartment, slamming the door behind him. 

Miran raised an eyebrow and stared at the remaining victim intensely.

"It's a long list, Soohyuk." She threatened, her gaze growing firmer.