Cold Summer-Eren Jaeger (Shingeki no Kyojin)

Anime One Shot Collection

A/N: Tons of cursing! Well, it’s Levi of course so it’s not a surprise why.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The 104th trainees were currently out in the field running laps under the blistering sun, courtesy of Lance Corporal Levi Ackerman. ‘Run, you brats! Did I say you could take a ing break?!’ he bellowed from under a shady tree, cravat loosened and sleeves rolled up.

Yes, the fine- corporal made you run under sun when it’s in the middle of the summer, for heaven’s sake and poor Connie was yelled at for catching his breath. Sweat was also forming on your skin but you weren’t sweating as profusely as the other trainees.

‘Cadet (L/N)!’ you knew that voice anywhere. You saluted the commander, wondering why he had personally come out here to call you out. ‘Sir?’ you asked, his face was undeniably red due to the sweltering heat. ‘Cadet, you are authorized to your powers. A lot of the trainees and squad leaders have been complaining about the heat and Hanji told me you are the solution to this heat.’ He spoke in a formal tone.

Grinning you gave him an enthusiastic ‘yes’ and watched as the commander went to join the corporal by the tree. Everyone knew you were a titan shapeshifter like Eren but no one except Hanji knew of your powers, you ran for quite some distance before finding a suitable spot to turn. You grew in size and everything around you became the size of an ant.

Hanji called you the ‘Frost Titan’ for a reason, towering over everything in your 100 metre glory. Your skin became so pale that it almost turn blue, your hair turned into sharp ice, lion-like mane that spiked downwards and ice coated around your wrists and calves like gauntlets as well as a choker that protects your nape from being cut open. However, your eyes were a deep shade of molten gold that blended in perfectly with a slight tinge of emerald and ice blue.

Everyone gaped in awe at your new form, not only were you taller than Eren but the cold air that emanated from you made everything cover in frost and snow, turning the weather drastically. You could think like you were in human form but you could not speak much to your dismay. Careful not to step on your friends, you crouched down and looked at them playing in snow while providing cover for them over the hot sun and some other titans.

After turning back into a human, it stopped snowing but the weather wasn’t as hot as before due to your influence but it became really annoying once people found out about your powers. ‘Hey (F/N)! Can you give me some ice to go with my water?’ ‘Hey (F/N), I need cold water to shower. Can you help me out?’ Every single one of them had request either to make something cold or to make snow so that they could play with it.

Hell, even heichou wanted ice in his goddamn tea.

In this rare free time, you spent it by perfecting your moves in your titan form. Supervised by Hanji of course. Though larger in size than Eren’s titan form, you were able to move agilely and navigate your way as you did in your human form.

‘Move heads! What the are you looking at?! You’d be a ing foie gras torchon for the titans if you much as stare at them with your eyes!’ the corporal yelled again at the trainees. ‘What in blazes are you doing, cadet?! Move your ing before I put you in a wheelchair!’ He yelled at Eren who was staring at your pale blue form.

‘Sorry sir!’ he apologized and started running again. ‘Sorry won’t save your scrawny from the ing jaws of the titans!’ he yelled from behind. Jeez… Cut me some slack, it’s not like I’ve done something to offend you… Eren cursed in his mind as he continued to run in the cool weather casted by your powers.

Even when the training had ended and he was allowed to dismiss, you were still carrying out your tasks and helped rebuild the crumbled walls of Wall Rose on the outside. Your eyes showed signs of exhaustion but you couldn’t speak and it was only then when you were done with everything and allowed to rest that you reverted into your human form.

‘Oh hey, Eren.’ You greeted him tiredly as you walked past him. ‘Are you okay?’ He asked worriedly. ‘Yeah, I’m perfectly—‘ Before you could even finish your sentence, Eren had caught an unconscious you before you hit your pretty head on the ground.

‘Medic! I need a medic!’ He yelled as he carried you across the hallways and reached the infirmary wing. Everyone heard what happened and Mikasa was the first to come rushing in, a worried look plastered on her usually stoic face. ‘What happened?’ she asked Eren who was waiting in the waiting room. ‘They said she was unconscious from using too much of her titan powers and the Garrison made her do too much work. No one knows when she’ll wake up.’ He sighed.

What’s this I’m feeling?  He asked himself, it was a mixture and something else entirely. A loud crash and scream interrupted his thoughts, both Mikasa and him went to investigate the source only to find that the bed that you were lying on had been replaced by a clear cocoon of ice which contained your semi- form in it.

Hanji of course came rushing in after the news spread like wildfire with the commander himself, the temperature of the room was abnormally freezing like the harsh blizzards during winter. ‘Get to the bottom of this, Hanji! I can’t risk any of the cadets of squad leaders getting injured if this persists and gets dangerous!’ he barked angrily.

The usually spunky woman got to work immediately at her superior’s orders and started interrogating everyone. Training still went on for Eren and his friends, they’d visit you frequently and gave wishes of recovery in hopes of seeing you wake up again.

‘A big discovery!’ A yell could be heard on a fine quiet day, footsteps echoed down the empty hallway and a slam of the door could be heard, startling Erwin who was signing the paperwork. ‘I have found the solution!’ the mad scientist said proudly. ‘Hanji, I hope this is not another one of your crazy experiments that resulted in another catastrophe…’ he rubbed his temples and pinched his nose bridge.

‘I assure you, this has nothing to do with my experiments. It’s regarding (F/N) actually. I might have found a way to communicate with her conscious mind through Cadet Eren Jaeger.’ She grinned. The commander’s interest perked up at this and he listened attentively to what she had to say.

Summer had transitioned into autumn and now nearing winter, that meant the temperature had dropped drastically and prior to your powers, it was beyond freezing as puffs of warm wisps exited Eren’s lips. ‘Sorry for the wait, Eren~!’ Hanji called out from the distance. ‘Umm… Why did you call me out here?’ he asked as he rubbed his hands together in a desperate attempt to keep himself warm.

‘It’s about your dear friend—(F/N). Or should I say immensely huge ‘crush’?’ she smirked and the latter went red at her words. ‘It’s not a crush!’ He blurted out quickly to cover up. ‘Oh really? But denying it makes it all the more evident~’ she said in a singsong voice and enjoyed teasing the poor boy who had gotten even redder at her comment.

‘Alright, alright, let’s get to work.’ She said in a serious tone. ‘As you’ve already known, (F/N) has been sleeping in that ice coffin of hers throughout the entire autumn and it’s gotten unbearably cold because of the frost she’s unleashed during midsummer. She has to wake up before the middle of the winter or it’ll be chaos for us. Frozen water isn’t exactly helping and all the animals won’t last long with the cold extending for such a long period of time.’ She explained.

‘But why me of all people? She’s the closest to Mikasa and Christa so why don’t you call either of them?’ ‘I would but of all people, she responded to you the most.’ Her words shocked him. What did she meant by you responding to him? ‘Haven’t you noticed how her body reacts when you talk to her? How her breathing hitches when you touched the ice that surrounds her? She’s trying to communicate with you through her conscious mind!’ the explanation left him speechless, does that mean you reciprocated his feelings?

‘Most titans do not have the ability to speak intelligibly like humans through speech but I’ve seen you communicate to the Female Titan using a series of grunts, howls and roars. Can you use that ability to talk to her?’ Hanji pleaded. ‘Don’t be ridiculous, I’m not a psychic.’ He gave her a look and crossed his arms.

‘I didn’t say you were one, Eren but give it a shot. If you don’t save her, the commander will order her termination for the safety of humanity.’ Hanji said and left. A sigh escaped his lips, thinking of you made his heart throb in pain. In the following months of your absence, he had come to terms with his own feelings for you.

Making his way down to the deserted infirmary wing where most of the things were covered in thick layers of frost and snow, he sat down in his usual seat and began talking to you about how his day went and left out the discussion with Hanji of course. ‘Ummm… (F/N), I’ve really wanted to say this out loud in front of you. I mean, this is what I’m doing now but I wanted to say it out right in your face. I really missed your smile, I missed running and riding together with you. And sparring with you of course. Uhh… What I’m trying to say is that—I like you and please come back to me… I promise I’ll make you the happiest girl in this messed up world.’ He pleaded.

Hanji was right as he witnessed a large crack forming from within the ice and he could faintly hear your voice. ‘Eren?! Help me! Please!’ Immediately scrambling over to your unmoving form, he found himself kneeling down regardless of the frostbite eating away at his skin. ‘I know you guys have been trying to crack open this ice but it won’t work that way. You have to crack it open from the outside using your strength. I don’t know how but I’m sure you’ll nail it.’ You spoke with a voice so quiet that it was almost a whisper and he had to strain his hearing to listen to every single syllable you were saying.

‘Well?’ Hanji asked as soon as Eren came running. ‘We’ll need someone to haul the ice outside the walls and I’ll do the rest.’ He instructed, running off to get Reiner and the other guys. ‘Jean, I need your help.’ He said as soon as rushed into the room. ‘It’s nice to see you not calling me ‘horse face’ for a change.’ ‘Clam it, I need your help right now! If you won’t do it for me then at least help (F/N) for god’s sake!’ he urged.

‘Alright lover boy, we’ll help you. Stop panicking and give us directions.’  Reiner patted him on the back and got out of the dorm. Everyone gave their all when they started hauling the heavy ice out of the infirmary wing, it wasn’t easy when there was snow so thick that it reached the knees. The journey to outside the walls were easier since the horses did the job but once outside, Eren is on his own.

‘This is as far as we go, Eren.’ Armin said to his friend and wished him luck as he walked back within the safety of the walls. The Garrison officers were on standby in case any of the titans were stupid enough to try and take on Eren while he was cracking the ice.

Giving a signal to the Hanji who was supervising the whole thing along with the other officers, Eren drew blood by cutting himself with a strong determination to set you free of this icy prison. In his titan form, he didn’t retain his ability to speak but his strength increased by almost tenfold compared to his tiny human form.

Eren set himself to work and tried smashing the ice open but was met with only failure, he even tried crashing it down from a height but to no avail. Several methods have failed and Hanji could only shake her head in pity and all his friends tried encouraging him by cheering for him. In a frustration, he dug his fingers into the crack that had been there previously and tried to pry it open.

He had overestimated his strength and when the ice came apart, your limp body was thrown up into the air along with the shattered ice. The giant caught you in his hand but before he could return you to safety, a group of titans came stampeding towards him. Fortunately, the thickness of the snow when the ice fell from the sky was enough to hinder their movements, especially when they were only 5 to 7 metres in height compared to Eren’s stunning 15 metres.

With nowhere for you to hold on to when you were still unconscious, he had no choice but to put you in his mouth. Mikasa was horrified when she saw Eren ate you and was about to bolt after him when Armin stopped her, pointing to the titans below them waddling in the snow. She was confused at first but she understood that Eren’s intentions was to keep you safe instead of eating you whole.

With the help from the Garrison officers, the titans were taken down easily and none remained. The doors that barred his access into the safety of the walls were raised and he walked inside, still in his titan form and steam curling from his healing body parts. Reverting back into his human form, both you and him collapsed on the street as blurry images of his friends and the Scouting Legion rushed towards him before his vision faded.

Eren awoke with a jolt, startling a reading Armin who had stayed after Mikasa’s shift was over. ‘Hey Eren, you okay?’ His best friend asked as he set the book down. ‘I’m fine, I need to see her now. Where is she?’ Eren sat up too quickly which resulted in him groaning in pain. ‘Shh… Don’t wake her up, she’s safe and sleeping next to you.’ Armin pointed over to your curled up form sleeping in the cot next to his.

‘What happened?’ ‘The details aren’t important but what matters the most is that you saved her and she’s safe. Commander gave you two a well-deserved break so use it to the fullest, alright? Hanji said she’ll wake up soon, be patient. I’m gonna take my leave now, I have training tomorrow.’ The blond waved at him and exited the infirmary.

Eren got off his cot slowly, adjusting the muscles in his legs to stabilize his entire body weight and regain balance before walking over to your cot. Swaddled in layers of blankets, your skin still felt cold to the touch although placed next to a fireplace to keep you warm.

A smile crept up his face, watching you sleep soundlessly and your hair fanning out from under you. Succumbing to his urge, he petted your head. You were alone with him in the infirmary wing, no one else would disturb him at this hour. Seeing that there’s still space next to you, he made himself comfortable and slept next to you, arms wrapping around your unconscious form.

You relaxed even more as he hugged you, feeling safe and he knew it. Nuzzling into your hair, he fell asleep almost instantly, swayed by your scent and the warmth he felt from his heart. No titan or walls would forever be able to keep you apart from him.