Understanding Him

Chasing Rainbows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I always liked the environment at the coffee shop, it always brings me tranquility and calmness. Coffee shops are my second home; I study there, complete my work there and it brings me good coffee every day. But for today, coffee shops brought me nervousness and distressed. With Mr. Wang beside me and his daughter by my side, I was stoned the whole time. The incident earlier was wrapped around my mind for minutes. One minute I was a normal student going for a job interview and the next minute I was a mother of Mr. Jackson Wang’s daughter. I don’t know how  the day would even end now, considering what just happened.

 

Mr. Wang hunched to his daughter’s level “Carol, go and choose the cake you want. Daddy and Miss …” He halted and looked at me, waiting for me to continue.

 

“Jeong. Miss Jeong Eunji.”

 

“Right, so daddy and Miss Jeong will stand here. Here’s the money.” Caroline nodded, understanding every word her dad said and soon rushed to the cake displays, giddy with joy. She seemed independent for her age. With her ponytails swaying from left to right, she skipped to the area.

 

“She’s pretty independent for a four-year-old.” The corner of lips slid upwards at the sight of a young girl tiptoeing to view the cake displays.

 

“She’s five. And I trained her to be independent.” He folded his arms, admiring his little girl. “And about earlier, I’m really sorry. You look like my late wife; very similar.” He added and at that moment he gazed at me tantalizingly which  made me take a step back. I wasn’t very comfortable with him gazing at me whenever he talks about his late wife. I might seem rude but looking at me at close proximity made me feel conscious of myself.

 

“Sorry if that made you uncomfortable.” He unattached his gazing eyes from me which allowed me to go back to my initial position.

 

“It’s okay. So what happened to your late wife?” I unconsciously asked due to the curiosity.

 

He wavered as soon as he heard my question. his lips, his nostrils flared a little, probably due to the unexpected question. I regretted asking when I saw his reaction. I bet he didn’t feel comfortable talking about his wife’s death to a doppelganger. “You don’t have to tell me. I was being insensitive.” I hung my head low, embarrassed that I had no sense of sensitivity.

 

“No, it’s just that it happened recently. And it’s a pity Caroline could only spend four years with her.” He ruffled his hair. “ She died due to heart problems that she was diagnosed with ever since she was a kid. It was hard for her, for me when her mother left. But she’s strong.” His eyes became teary; that was when I tried to punch myself in the face for bringing up such a dark past of his.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter