Chapter 17 - Doldrum

Cold Beautiful Things
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Investigating made Hyeran feel alive. The pumping of her heart felt powerful and strong. Everything became more vivid for her. It was as though she had emerged from numbness into a world that was full of energy and colour and electricity. 

The notes that Hyeran had collected on the murderer were all organised chronologically in a folder she kept under her bed. 

Finding out any connections between the victims was what Hyeran had given top priority, but so far neither she nor anyone else could see any. The killer was perhaps murdering indiscriminately, and if that was the case then Hyeran suspected it was to show the killer's superiority. As if to say that he can target absolutely anyone, he was above them all. 

Profiling wasn't exactlly her job, she knew, but she wanted to tackle every aspect of the case so that she had a holistic image in her mind while she was trying to sort out the other bits. If she was realistic, the only advantage that she had over a civilian was that she had spoken to one of the victims' wife and personally knew the only suspect they had ever had. Maybe that was where she was supposed to start.

Why had Gayoon been so sure that Taekwoon was Dongbyun's killer when it seemed like she only saw a silhouette? Hyeran had mulled over these things before, but she wondered now whether her position defending the accused had created some bias that she hadn't consciously noticed. It had been so easy to label Gayoon as hysterical, grieving and bitter, but maybe there was something behind her persistence that needed to be uncovered. It was the only advantage she had, so doubting her earlier decisions was what she must do. 

 

 

It took a long time for Gayoon to answer the door despite Hyeran having called in advance. The woman did not look well. Her hair was disheveled and the dark circles under her eyes were deep. Hyeran was reminded of the first time that she met the woman while working on Taekwoon's case, when she had looked only a little worse than she did today. 

Gayoon, understandably, was curt with Hyeran. The lawyer was instrumental in letting the man she believed killed her husband go free. Nevertheless it was difficult to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter