Lost Forever

The Tale of Orpheus

Yoongi was the greatest musician among mortals. His fame had spread far and wide in the land of Thrace, where his father was king. Yoongi was a poet and singer, whose inspiration came from the Nine Muses. People would listen spellbound as he sang the sagas of his land. At times he would wander out into the countryside, singing as he went.

It was while he was strolling alone through the woods that he met the beautiful dryad Jimin and brought him back to the palace, to be his husband. 

Dryads were nymphs of the trees and woods. Sometimes, when he was tired of his busy life at court, Jimin would visit his former companions. They would sit on a grassy bank while he told them about his strange new city life, where there were hard, paved streets instead of the soft turf of the forest, and stone houses and temples instead of groves of trees. If Yoongi was with him, the nymphs would dance as he sang to them. 

At other times, Jimin would walk by himself through the woods, enjoying the light which came down through the leaves above him and listening to the songs of the birds. He would stoop to pick the pink and mauve cyclamen and wood sorrel which grew beneath the trees and make wreaths of their blossoms for his hair. Sometimes he would rest on the bank of a stream and watch butterflies dancing over the water. In the winter months he loved the rustle of the fallen leaves under his feet and would pause to run his hand over the rough bark of his beloved trees. 

At times it snowed in Thrace, and when that happened, Jimin could clearly see the tracks of rabbits, hares, deer, and the larger beasts that preyed on them. Everything about him would be white. The familiar woods looked strange yet somehow even more beautiful. All around was silent; even the birds had stopped singing. 

One bright, warm summer day when the sun was shining, he was watching a deer feeding in grassy clearing when suddenly it's ears pricked up and it raised it's head. For a moment it stood like this, and then like a shadow it slipped away. A tall boy whom Jimin has never seen before strode from the trees into the clearing. He was handsome, but there was a cruel glint in his eyes which he did not like. He carried a bow and arrows across his back and stopped when he saw the boy standing there. 

"I have heard of the nymphs of the Thracian woods, but you are the first I have seen." he said. "Everything that people say of their beauty is true if you are one of them."

Jimin was not vain and did not like to hear such flattery from a stranger. "I thank you sir," he said, "but I suggest that you go on your way, for I have no wish to be disturbed."

"You may be beautiful, but by the gods you have a sharp tongue!" the boy answered. "If you want to be rid of me, tell me first in which direction the deer I was stalking has gone. You must have seen it, for it came though here."

Jimin shook his head. "No, sir." he said. "That I cannot tell you. It was too pretty to die." 

The boy frowned. "A nymph you may be but, by thunder, even the fairest nymphs do not defy a god! Tell me, I say!"

Stubbornly Jimin shook his head. "A god you may be," he said, "though I somehow doubt it, for if you were you would not behave so rudely. Take care of how you speak to me, for my husband is the king's son and will not take kindly to someone who does not respect his wife."

The stranger threw back his head and laughed. "The husband of Yoongi, the poet and singer!" he exclaimed. "I have heard he loves music more than battle. You threaten me with him? Clearly you do not know who I am." 

"No, sir" Jimin said, more calmly than he felt. "I do not, and I do not wish to."

"Nevertheless I will tell you," said the stranger. "Perhaps it will humble your proud spirit a little. I am Jungkook, the god of hunters."

"Then you should be more gentle," answered Jimin. "for was not your own mother the nymph Youngjae? I have heard the story of how he was carried off from his home by Daehyun and bore his son."

"Gentle? Yes, my mother was gentle. But I learned from my father, the great Daehyun, to take what I want when I want it." The stranger paused and then added, gesturing to him: "Come here! I will have a kiss from Yoongi's husband! Then we will se if he dares defy me!" He strode forward, and Jimin, terrified, turned and fled. 

Swiftly he ran through the trees, dodging first right then left. The low boughs brushed his face as he ran and, where the trees grew less thickly, brambles tore at his tunic as if to hold him back. But his life as a hunter made Jungkook a fine athlete and he ran as fast as he, crashing through thickets like a wounded boar. Jimin could hear Jungkook behind him. Once he stumbled and thought he would fall, but he regained his balance and ran on. His voice echoed through the woods as he cried out desperately for help, but there was no one near to hear. The only answer was a cruel laugh from behind him. 

The chase continued through mossy clearings and over half-hidden streams of clear water where the fish swam unconcerned in the shadows under the banks. Jimin's heart was pounding, but it seemed at last that he was drawing away from his pursuer. As the ground began to rise and the trees became fewer, Jungkook's footsteps grew more faint. 

Presently, he scrambled upwards into the sunlighrover a rock-strewn slope. At last the footsteps had ceased. Jimin could not be sure that he had escaped and continued upwards until, at the summit of the higher ground, he threw himself down exhausted on a flat-topped rock. Below him and all around he could see the green tops of trees. From here he would be able to see Jungkook a long way away, so he decided to rest for a while. 

He dozed in the hot sun. The whole world seemed to be at peace and drowsing. Suddenly another sun-lover appeared, a deadly viper which lived on the stony ground surrounding the place where the boy lay. It moved slowly over the warmth of the earth, it's forked tongue darting in and out. As it passed near him, Jimin stirred and turned in his sleep. One of his slender legs now barred in the viper's path.The snake hissed and cooked it's body quickly, raising it's head to strike. Its fangs sank deep, spreading their venom, but Jimin did not wake.

The poison did its work.

Night came, and Jimin had not returned to the palace. At first Yoongi was not seriously worried, for no harm had ever come to his husband on his lonely wanderings in the woods where he was so much at home. But when midnight came, search parties were sent out to scour the surrounding countryside. Their calls echoed through the trees as they searched. It was morning when they at last found him. Placing his body on a stretcher hastily made from saplings bound with bugs, the searchers carried him back to the palace with heavy hearts. 

Yoongi was inconsolable. His father tried to comfort him, but it was no use. Yoongi sat alone, singing sad songs and thinking of his lost love.

But Jungkook had been wrong about Yoongi. He was a brave man, braver by far than most, and perhaps his desperation to win back Jimin gave him greater courage than he would have normally had. For he decided that he would enter the Underworld itself and fetch him back to Earth from there. Everyone tried to dissuade him. "Not even in your wildest dreams should you consider going there" Taehyung told his son. "The dead are the deas and the living the living. You are mad to think you can change the way of the gods. Those who go to the Underworld can never return." 

Nevertheless, Yoongi set out. He journeyed to Aornum. He found the passageway that would lead him to the river Styx. He bravely made his way forward. At last it was before him, Hoseok the ferryman sat in his boat, waiting for his next cargo of the dead. 

Yoongi knew it would not be easy to persuade Hoseok to take living cargo but, trusting in the powers of his voice, he started to sing. A smile lit Hoseok's face. 

"I can deny nothing to one that can sign as you can" he said to Yoongi. "I will take you over the river, though I may pay for it later when my master finds out what I have done. Hoseok moved to one side to let Yoongi enter the boat. 

In due course, Yoongi was brought before Seokjin, queen of the Underworld. Before he spoke he once more sung a sweet tune, as the shades of the dead clustered near to hear his music. Seokjin's heart was touched, and he and his husband Namjoon, king of the Underworld, agreed to let Jimin return to Earth.

"But on one condition only," Seokjin told to Yoongi. "He must follow behind you as you go. If you turn around to see him before he reaches the upper air, he must return here forever."

So Jimin was brought to them, and the couple embraced while Seokjin looked one with a half-smile, as if he had already doubted his decision. But he did not change his mind. The pair crossed Styx safely and began to climb up the passage to the surface of the Earth. Yoongi never looked back, thought he was greatly tempted to make sure that the footsteps he could hear behind him were really those of his beloved and not some trickery. Up and up they climbed, until daylight showed ahead of them.

A few minutes later, Yoongi was at the mouth of the cave, and the warmth of the sun shone on his face. A great joy flooded through his whole being. He made what everyone thought was just a wild dream come true. He turned to take Jimin in his arms. However, less strong than he, Jimin had lagged some way behind him in the climb. He saw him dimly coming towards him, still in the sahdowy passage. But even as he looked Jimin seems to fade away and then was gone. Yoongi rushed forward but it was too late. Jimin returned to the shadowy realm of the Underworld and was lost to him forever. 

 

(A/N WOAH DID THAT TAKE LONG TO TYPE OUT. Over 1,800 words! Wow. Sorry if there are any typos, I won't be proofreading this one-shot. Original story of Orpheus and Eurydice is by Michael Gibson (the one that I based this on). I hope you guys liked this >3<)