In This Together

A Doctor's Disease

KRYSTAL’S pov

 

“Don’t hang out with her.” I told Sulli with a stern gaze. Sulli looked down to the ground, but later stared at me with strength in her eyes.

“You should be nicer to her, after all she isn’t like the res-” I cut her off.

“Just because she’s friendly doesn’t mean that she isn’t like the rest,” I spoke through my teeth “Just please don’t spend too much time with her….” I spoke softly which made Sulli blink slowly in response “I don’t want anything to happen to you….” I said with concern for my dear friend.

“I will be nice to her because right now she is having a difficult time,” Sulli smiled to lighten up the mood “besides she is really fun to be around.”

I sighed at my friend’s stubbornness, I leaned further into the couch.

“Just don’t forget that we are in this together….” I said reminding her of the promise we made each other once we found out that we won’t live for long. I looked at her allowing her to see the vulnerability in my eyes. Sulli’s smile reassured me that she hadn’t forgotten our promise. My lips formed a smile, a genuine smile. I only share my smile with two people: Sulli and Jongsuk. I was brought back to reality when I heard her say:

“We will definitely be able to celebrate our joined birthday together again.” Sulli spoke with optimism as she rested her head on my lap. I laughed while covering my mouth as I said:

“Maybe then we can finally have our first legal beer for our 21st birthday.” Sulli cracked up laughing at what I said. We were laughing for a good two minutes, but our laughter died down. Our smiles faded away until there were no traces of happiness left on our faces.

“That’s if she can save us….” I mumbled under my breath.

“Us?” Sulli asked since she was confused by what I said.

“Yeah,” I smiled down at her “if she can save me then she can save you too, Ssul.” my statement made Sulli smile once more.

“Thanks, Krys.” I her long hair gently and she continued to smile along with me.

We both snapped back into reality when the front door swung open to reveal Minho carrying two small dogs in his arms.

“Who's a cutie?” he was now talking to the chihuahua, I raised my brow at his childish behavior “Yes you are!” he said after the dog barked in response. Sulli sat up and saw the dogs, her inner child came out and she shuffled along to greet the two pups while I sat there on the couch.

“Aww, he’s likes me~.” Sulli sang a high note as the puppy was her face, I made a disgusted face at the action. I stood up and went up to Minho who was still cuddling them in his arms. Being the only one that was responsible at the moment I asked:

“Where did you find them?” I crossed my arms over my chest.

“Backyard.” Minho quickly answered before continuing praising the dogs.

I saw that one of them was very energetic by yapping and wagging it’s tail. While the other pup was just laying comfortably in Minho’s embrace. I got curious so I took a closer look at their collars, I read aloud the hyper dog’s name first:

“Jackjack,” I was about to make a remark about his name, but I decided to move on to the next “and G-” I was interrupted by a voice from behind us.

“Gongju.”

Everyone froze and turned to see Amber. I was waiting for her to scold us for touching her pets without her permission, but she surprised me when she joined in on praising the puppies.

‘So childish’ I thought as I saw the doctor crawling on all fours with the other puppies.

I kept my distance as I returned to sit on the couch. Sulli copied Amber and as well as Minho, they were all crawling after the pups and they looked ridiculous especially when Amber pretended to be a puppy and began to yap. I was annoyed that Sulli and Minho joined in on having fun with Amber. They were causing a lot of noise that it attracted my sister’s attention.

“What’s all the fuss abo-” she didn’t finish what she was about to say because her gaze fell on the three idiot crawling on the floor. Jessica covered with her hand to muffle her laughter and she finally caught sight of the puppies because she exclaimed with excitement:

“Puppies!”

‘Not you too…’ I shook my head at my sister’s behavior.

Jessica was about to reach out to Jackjack, but Amber loudly whispered to her pet:

“Don’t look at her, Jackjack.” Amber warned the animal, the pup tilted its head “Just avoid eye contact.”

“I heard that.” my sister didn’t look amused, she was pouting as evidence.

The pup sensed my sister’s disappointment and so it ran to her, shocking both Amber and Jessica. Jackjack laid on his back, Jessica poked her tongue at Amber and gave the pup a well earned belly rub. The puppy began kicking its leg to show how much it enjoyed it. I looked to Amber and heard her mutter:

“Traitor.”

I almost smiled, but I didn’t because I have too much pride. I watched silently as everyone played with the dogs. The others were having too much fun to realise that I was here. I saw in the corner of my eye Gongju approaching me, I shook my head silently telling it no. It was getting closer and I began to try and shoo it away with my hands. Gongju didn’t get the hint because it jumped up on the couch and made itself comfortable on my lap. I froze, I didn’t know what to do, I just sat there and ignored its existence. The only person to notice that Gongju was on my lap was Amber. She shuffled over to where we were on her knees and began carely Gongju, careful not to wake her up.

“Get it off.” I commanded her. Amber’s gentle gaze became stern.

“Gongju came to you and now you are just going to push her away?” her voice was low.

I nodded my head since there was something preventing me from saying it. Amber looked at me with disbelief in her eyes. She looked at the pup that was now fast asleep on my lap, her gaze was soft. “She doesn’t have much time left,” my eyes widened at the news that I just received “So please, just allow her to rest on your lap for a bit…..”

There was silence in the lounge, I looked up to see that everyone had heard what Amber said. I looked back to the dog and saw the reason behind Gongju’s exhaustion. A question popped up and I had to ask the doctor something.

“If she is sick,” I narrowed my eyes on Amber “then why isn’t she getting any treatment?”

There was a moment of silence and Jackjack began whimpering as she tried to comfort his master. Amber gently the pup that was on my lap and said:

“Because she always escapes, she just wants to live her fullest while she can - I understand that she just wants to be with Jackjack until….” Amber’s voice faded away “I won’t stop her from being with her best friend.” Amber smiled at the sleeping dog, she then leaned in and gave Gongju a peck on the top of her head. I was stunned to hear how Amber thought was much like my way of thinking. I looked straight to Sulli and we both exchanged knowing looks.

‘This story about her dog sounds too much like mine and Sulli’s story’.

“I will give you a proper examination tomorrow so that you may rest for today.” Amber broke the silence “Oh and I live with my guardian,” she informed us “so if you see a woman in the house, don’t be alarmed.” Amber stood up and dusted the dog fur off her pants.

‘Guardian? Where are her parents?’

“What is her name?” Minho asked.

“Yuri Kwon.”

I saw in the corner of my eye my sister’s eyes widened after hearing the person’s name.

“Do they have lightly tanned skin?” my sister quickly inquired.

Her behavior was strange, but I just ignored it.

“Yes, why?” Amber asked with her brow furrowed. She is probably wondering how my sister guessed it.

“N-no reason.” Jessica stopped patting Jackjack and went outside for some fresh air.

‘What’s up with her?’

Amber then left to make a phone call leaving Minho, Sulli and I alone with the puppies. Minho and Sulli gave each other knowing glances and began to play with Jackjack again. I rolled my eyes at their actions. I looked down at my lap to see Gongju sleeping peacefully. I blinked slowly when I saw her snuggle closer for me for warmth. I slowly reached out to her and carefully caressed her soft fur. I became comfortable petting the pup, a small smile grew on my face.

“Don’t worry, Gongju” I whispered loud enough for only her to hear “I’ll be nice to you, just not your master.” I chuckled quietly remembering when Amber looked like a dork crawling around on the floor. I ended up having a conversation with Gongju and she looked happy in her sleep, I couldn’t help but smile. I felt a small bond being formed between me and the dog. My gaze softened when I remembered Amber saying that she didn’t have much time left. “Don’t worry,” I reassured her “We’re in this together….”