Promise

A Doctor's Disease

AMBER’S pov

 

“Here we are!” I announced cheerfully to Minho who had been taking directions from me, I ignored the two antisocial sisters sitting in the back of Minho’s car.

“This house is small.” Jessica commented causing my pride to drop.

“But it has good character. Look at the old stone work.” Minho backed me up, we fist bumped one another discreetly so the two in the back wouldn’t see.

“This isn’t the 1800’s.” Krystal shot back as she got out of the car.

I blew a sigh of relief knowing that the others were too busy to accompany us which meant less drama. I looked outside of the window to see that the nurse had already arrived with the equipment sticking out of the back doors to the ambulance that were open. I got out of the car and asked the nurse to help load the equipment into the house that should be able to fit just about everything inside, since the house was spacious enough because only essential things were stored inside. I then unlocked the door and opened it wide allowing the others to get in with the gear without any troubles. Minho and even Jessica were helping carry the equipment inside the house.

“Hey!” I looked at the source of the voice to see Krystal  standing with her hands on her hips. She was standing next to the car and I jogged to her to see if there was an issue.

“What is it?” I quickly asked.

She pointed to the two large luggage bags and said:
“Carry those to my room” she ordered.

I subtly rolled my eyes so that she wouldn’t notice and obeyed her order because I can’t have her collapse if her body is struggling to function properly right now, even though she seems to have the energy to order me around. I bent my knees and pulled up both of the bags with both my upper and lower body strength. It’s lighter than I expected, I cautiously walked up the door steps and made it inside. I realised that I am going to have to make a sacrifice if Krystal is going to be living under my roof. I dragged my feet towards my room with her luggage in my hands when she walked in front of me. She opened the door and made a quick inspection before coming back to me who was frowning at her actions.

“Is this your room?” she crossed her arms over her chest as she stared at me intensely.

“How did you kn-” she pulled out the file with her name on it, but what could be seen is the bright red stamp that read - REJECTED.

I chuckled seeing her annoyed expression.

“I’m not sleeping in your room.” she stated while looking at her nails.

My laughter died down, I later shrugged my shoulders and said:

“I guess I’ll take you to your last option then.” I carried her bags into the living room and her jaw dropped.

“That’s right princess.” I grinned widely at her as I sat on the couch.

“I’m not sleeping on the couch!” she refused to believe it was true.

“Then sleep in my ro-” she cut me off.

“No!”

We were going back and forth and my patience had enough, I snapped.

“Stop being a stubborn child and listen to the doctor’s orders!” I raised my voice loudly.

Krystal’s eyes shined like dark orbs.

 

“That’s the last of the equip- what happened?” Minho and Jessica entered the room to see Krystal glaring at me as I cupped my reddened cheek.

I quickly pretended to itch where it was red and said:

“I think I got a rash.” I continued to itch the spot.

“Ew.” Jessica scrunched up her nose as she went outside to grab her things.

“Are you alright?” Minho asked with worried eyes.

I laughed off the pain and reassured him everything was alright.

“I’m fine.” I told him for the ninth time as I applied more concealer onto my skin.

“I just had to make sure that Krystal didn’t do anything.” he said as if this happened all of the time.

‘I don’t see the point in telling on her, the first time that I saw her get scolded she didn’t care - why would she care now?’

I came to the realisation that Krystal doesn’t seem to openly care about anything - at all. She doesn’t even care if she survives the treatment.

‘What happened to make her so cold?’

I walked out of the kitchen and Minho trailed behind me. I saw Krystal sitting on the couch while trying to massage her hand to ease the pain. I glanced to see that her hand was pink from the impact that she made on my face. Her face displayed discomfort, but I ignored it and went to my room with Minho following me.

I sat on my bed and allowed Minho to do the same. Once we were out of earshot Minho asked:

“Is she getting on your nerves yet?” that question took me by surprise.

I laughed at his question.

“I don’t know what you-” he interrupted me.

“I know Krystal.” he stated and looked at me with a serious gaze.

I looked at the ground knowing that my attempts to hide the argument between Krystal and I had been found out. There was a long period of time where Minho stared, he spoke softly when he spoke up.

“Just please save her.”

I looked at him and eyed him suspiciously.

“Doesn’t she already have a boyfriend to worry about her?” I asked.

Minho chuckled wholeheartedly and slapped me on the shoulder.

“I don’t like her!” he continued to laughed but he later calmed down “I just want my sister to at least be able to celebrate one more joined birthday with her best friend.” his smile faded away.

I was surprised to hear that he didn’t care about her, I guess he just wants his sister to be with her friend one last time. I furrowed my brow when I came to the realisation that he was doubting my skills as a doctor.

“I can save her.” I looked at him with determination.

He smiled once more when he heard that.

“Then prove it.” and with those words he left me sitting there staring after him.

After a few seconds I got up and looked at the file that had the word REJECTED printed on it.

“Maybe I was too tough….” I spoke absentmindedly.

I left my room and entered the kitchen when I felt hunger strike. I grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl and was about to take a bite until I saw Krystal sitting at the dining table alone. She was trying to cut some pancakes, but I guess her hand still hurts. I put the apple back and went into the bathroom to retrieve some cream to help ease the pain in her hand. I cleared my throat to get her attention and she just ignored me.

“Here.” I placed the cream on her plate so she wouldn’t be able to ignore it. She flicked it away with her fork and attempted to cut them only to hurt her hand even more. I scoffed at her and muttered under my breath “Stubborn child….”

She immediately dropped her knife and fork to the ground once she heard that small insult. She raised her hand and swiped the air, I caught her sore hand and she winced in pain.

 

KRYSTAL’S pov

 

“Let me go!” I raised my voice.

I struggled to break free from her grip and she reached out to retrieve the cream. Her grip was hurting my hand that I shut my eyes tightly. I then felt something cool and wet being applied to my hand, my expression relaxes and I feel the burning sensation get buried under the cream. I opened my eyes to see Ms Liu gently massaging my hand with the cream. I wanted to pull away, but she was easing the pain. I just stared at her hands massaging mine. I felt her blow softly onto the spot and it felt ice cold, but after the room temperature settled in I had nothing to complain about. I stared at her in a daze as she admired her work.

“Why did you do that?” I asked after coming back to my senses.

She shrugged her shoulders and was about to leave until I quickly grabbed her hand.

“Are you trying to be a up and get with me or something?” I narrowed my eyes on her.

“No, why would you ask such a stupid question?” she furrowed her brow at me.

“Because you look at what you just did.” I pointed to the hand with the see through cream “Don’t act like you care.” I watched her every move.

“I don’t care.” she spoke bluntly.

Her statement took me by surprise, I am accustomed to doctors being ups and trying to act like they care.

“But if you don’t care, then why did you apply the cream on me?” I shot back at her.

She pulled my hand off of her which I had forgot that I was holding onto her.

“It’s my job as a doctor to help my patients.” she looked professional when she adjusted her tie “Don’t worry, we can go our separate ways once I fix this problem.” she tried comforting me.

I scoffed at her and looked outside of the window.

“I doubt you can.” I whispered under my breath.

She didn’t hear me, but she what she said did appeal to me. I looked at her and asked:

“You promise you will leave me alone once this is over?” she saw the glint of hope in my eyes and she did something childish, she lined her pinky with mine and said:

“Promise!”

I looked into her eyes and saw nothing but the truth. My eyes softened on her briefly before I returned my gaze to the window.

“Good, now go away” I shooed her away with my hands.

I continued eating my pancakes, but I contained my smile until the doctor was out of sight.

'Maybe this one isn't so bad' I shook off the thought and continued eating.