Chapter 2

Through the Eyes of A Ghost

 

Goodbyes are not forever, are not the end; it simply means I'll miss you until we meet again.

 


My brother told me on his death bed, that goodbyes were not sad, it just meant that we would miss each other and see each other again. Black was the color everyone wore that day. December 30, 2015. He was 18 and I was 16. He died. I lived. That was the last of my family that died. You’d think I would’ve bawled my eyes out, but I didn’t. I just stared at his casket as they lifted him down into the dirt. How long will it be Oppa? It was a little sooner than I thought it would be

            “Not long!” A very cheerful voice popped up, startling the living crap out of me. So much for a depressing funeral scene. I turn around to see Jeon Jungkook, my supposed to be dead brother floating two feet off the ground and transparent. He was smiling a toothy smile while I on they other hand was on the verge of a panic attack. Let’s just say I ended up in the hospital for 3 months because of him. Ever since then, I could see them. Ghost. Just floating around, minding their own business as if there was nothing wrong with their existence.

            During my time in the ward, Jungkook was completely chipper. Happy as can be. He always sat by my bed and it took me a week to get used to it. The doctors kept me there for so long because they were worried for my mental state. Screaming at the top of your lungs that your late brother is standing in front of you during his funeral isn’t exactly the sanest thing to do. Jungkook explained a lot of the that was happening. How he went through what looked like a labeling process. How there were people, dressed in white, putting labels on everyone. Once his label was given, he suddenly woke up and was standing behind me during his own funeral. I didn’t exactly except him to be so cheerful about it, but he was just happy that he was able to see his cute little sister again. Thanks to him though, I spent 4 months in a mental institute; I never stopped giving him hell about it even to this day.  

            Two years passed and I became 18, catching up with my brother. He wasn’t too happy about it because he will physically stay the same age and eventually, I will turn 19 making him younger. According to my logic, he’ll have to address me as noona, but he won’t have it. He claims he’s still aging even if he doesn’t look it. I guess he doesn’t want to be the youngest out of the two of us. (Author’s Note: Haha I had to put that there Xp. Jungkookie I luv u) Up till now he’s been stuck by the hip with me, constantly going where go. (with the exception of the shower and bathroom) He says it’s because he didn’t have anyone else he wanted to haunt so bad. Great for me.. Other than being a pain in the , he’s help me out with my studies and cheating on tests. I only do it once in a while so don’t judge me. He also helps out with grown up things like working and stuffs like that. Surprisingly enough, ghosts have their own line of work where they earn money. I’ve asked Jungkook once about what he does, but he says it’s “better if I didn’t know.” So he could be a male stripper for all I know. It worries me, but I don’t have the heart to actually say that out loud to him.

            To be honest, I’m glad that Jungkook is here despite him being the hole in my wallet. After losing mom and dad, I don’t want to be alone and Jungkook being there helps sooth that feeling of loneliness despite him not actually being alive.

            Tomorrow came and it was a weekend. Thank god. I decided today was a good day to grab groceries and as usual, Jungkook tagged along. At the supermarket, I was in the vegetable aisle, inspecting a potato when Jungkook, tugged on my sleeve. I ignored him since usually all that came out of his mouth was stupid, but he kept on trying to get my attention. Eventually I had enough of him.

            “What?” I ask not turning to look at him.

            “Can we hurry up?” He asks back, a little more anxious than usual.

            “Why? Do you have a stash of videos that you want to watch?” I joked with him, playfully shoving.

            “I’m being serious.” He glared at me, “Hurry and choose a potato already. It doesn’t take this long.”

            I gave him a confused look, “What is it.”

            “There’s a Writer here.” He said choppily, “We have to go.” He gestured to his forty-five with his eyes. I looked over to where he was looking to see a normal Walker. He was looking through the aisles casually. I don’t understand why he’s do that since he doesn’t need to eat, but hey, I don’t judge.

            I throw a look at Jungkook, “What are you talking about? It’s just a Walker.” I continued to browse through the potatoes when Jungkook grabbed my arm.

            “Can we please leave? I have a bad feeling.” He gave a pleading look.

            I sighed, “I think you’re over thinking. Just because there’s another Walker doesn’t mean that there’s a Writer here.” I tried to go back, when I bumped, more like went through someone. I could tell because I felt the same spine-chilling mist that runs over me when Jungkook smacks me. I step back to find the Walker I saw from before stare down at me, but there’s something amiss. Half of his body is pitch black.