Chapter 3

Through the Eyes of A Ghost

 

Life asked death, "Why do people love me but hate you?" Death responded, "Beacause you are a beautiful lie and I am a painful truth."

 


Jungkook immediately grabs my arm and pulls me back behind him the other ghost just stares blankly at the both of us until I speak up.

            “Is there something you want?” I asked in a clipped tone. The other looks directly at me and tilts his head curiously.

            “You can see me?” He had a deep voice which threw me off since he looked like a kid, not to mention a little handsome. Ah!!oabagaaldfbfdhl!! What am I thinking?!  I gave a stiff nod in return from behind Jungkook. The new presence gave a small laugh, “And you protect her? What are you? Her knight? Lover perhaps?”

            “I’m her brother you asshat.” Jungkook said sourly, “We are going to leave now. Goodbye.” Jungkook spun on his heel, dragging me along with him and if you were to look at me, I looked completely ridiculous. We exited the market without any delay aside from the weird glances that were thrown at me by some of the store clerks. I mean who wouldn’t stare at a girl who’s being pulled by some invisible force? After we were 2 blocks away from the store, I had my share of embarrassment for the day and I gently tugged off Jungkook’s hand, which made him grip it tighter.

            “Yah Jungkook!” I growl at him with an uncomfortable look, “We are far away enough! Can you stop dragging me like a doll?”

            He looked back and let go, fumbling with his words, “S-sorry! Did I hurt you?” He grabbed my arm again, making sure he didn’t break anything. As if he could anyway. I lightly shoved him off, “Did you know the guy?”

            “Yea. He’s from work.” He nodded.

            “What the heck is he?” I ask, “The guy looks like he’s half-Walker half-Writer!” I exclaim.

            “That’s cuz he is.” Jungkook says with a hard look, “I don’t trust him one bit, so if you see him again just go the opposite direction understood?” He commands, suddenly using his big brother powers to make me do as he says.

            “How did he get like that? Why do you work with him?” I continue asking him. I needed to know why he knew such a dangerous person.

            “Don’t ask questions!” He flicked my nose, going back to his happy-go-lucky self, “Anyway. What are we eating for dinner? Let’s eat bbq tonight!” He threw a fist in the air cheerfully.

            “What? No!” I protested, making him laugh. He patted my head affectionately and sighed.

            “Fine, fine. Ramen tonight again~” He smiled, walking ahead.

            I sighed, following him. What exactly does he do at night?

 

 

            Jungkook works at night, usually after I go to sleep. This always made me curious as to what he worked as. He used to walk to his job until he caught me trying to follow him. I really got hell from him that day. He scolded me about how I could’ve been eaten or something by a Wall Writer or kidnapped. From then on, he just transported there using his ghost powers making sure I was asleep before he left. He was always that careful type of person. That night Jungkook was getting ready for work when I came out of the bathroom with a toothbrush sticking out of my mouth. He dressed casually to work all the time, usually with a hoodie and jeans. I question if he actually work or not because who dresses so lackadaisically to work? He looked up when I exited the bathroom and smiled. I only blinked at him and walked over.

            “Are you going to work now?” I ask nonchalantly, picking up a book that was on the ground. It was probably from when Jungkook reads his comic books. I place the book on the shelf as he answers.

            “Yea. Don’t try to tail me again.” He gives me a mellow look, “Not that you could anyway.”

            “Yea, yea.” I roll my eyes, “I’m staying up tonight. Studying.” I inform him.

            “Good girl.” He pats my head, “I’ll be back in the morning. Don’t stay up too long.”

            “Mhmm.” I laid out all my crap on the dinner table already flipping through a textbook, “Don’t let the door hit your on the way out.”

            “I don’t use the door.” He smirks, poofing out of the room.

            Study, study study. Stupid math. Why are you so mean to me? I groan, banging my head against the textbook. I’ve never been very good in the cursed subject known as math. Disgusting subject. What made it worse was that Jungkook was good at math despite him hating the subject as well, so whenever he sees me struggling he becomes the arrogant of the house and starts asking if I need help. The . An hour had passed since Jungkook left and it started raining.

            “If Jungkook works outside then he’ll catch a cold.” I mumble, grabbing a cup of water. When I turn around I find myself staring into the eyes of a certain half Walker half Writer. I am about to scream, when he poofs over at lightning speed and covers my mouth, grabbing my cup from falling.

            “Shh.” He puts a finger to his mouth, “We don’t wanna wake the neighbors now do we?”

            I give him an aggravated look and grab his black wrist, pulling it off, “Mind telling me why you’re in my house ?” I spit at him.

            “Damn you have a dirty mouth just like your brother.” He grimaces.

            “You’re not exactly Mother Teresa yourself.” I retort, “Get out of my house.”

            “I just got here. I thought you would be the fun kid of the family. I guess not.” He gives a disappointed look, “But it seems pretty chill here so I’ll just stay.” He smirks challengingly at me.

            The last thing I need on top of studying for a stupid test is another ghost stepping into my house, so I grab the holy water spritzer I keep on me and spray like there’s no tomorrow. He starts screaming and runs over to the balcony door, breathing in the fresh air.

            “Crazy- woman!” He looks back at me pissed with an arm over his entire nose and mouth, “What was that for?!”

            “What do you think? I was trying to clean the air?” I scoff, “Get out!”

            “You really are a fighter. But I like you.” He throws me a sideways smile, “Although I find it amazing that Jungkookie has been able to mask your scent all this time.” He gives an evil smirk, “Oh I forgot!” He jumps up surprised, handing me a scrap of paper with… his number, “I’m Kim Taehyung. Nice to meet you Jungkookie’s sister!” He poofs off the balcony.