Chapter 1

Through the Eyes of A Ghost

 

The only people who fear death are those who regret

 


 

 

“Yah! Jeon Jihyun!! Listen to the teacher and stop day dreaming!!!”

            This is my life: Getting yelled at by my brother for staring at somewhere other than the board. Oh I forgot to tell you. He’s dead.

            The bell for second period to end and break to start finally rang as Jungkook by my desk fuming. You could actually see smoke clouds coming out of his ears. Perks of being a ghost.

            “What the heck was that?? Do you even remember what seonsaengnim was saying?” He scolded.

            “Aish you’re so loud..” I mumble at him, “Why do you do this to me every single day?? Don’t you have ghost girls to go flirt with? Wait I take that back even as apparition, you have no chance with girls.” I fling an insult at him.

            “Yah!! Is that how you treat your Oppa, you disrespectful dongsaeng??” He smacks, or rather, swipes through my head, which let me tell you, never leaves a good feeling. 

            “Jungkook!” I whine, “I swear stop..”

            “God she’s doing it again.”

            “What is she doing? Talking to the wall?”

            To be honest, I don’t mind what they’re saying because what happens to them is hilarious. There are three types of ghosts that walk the face of the beautiful planet known as Earth. Firsts are Spirits, which are glowing balls of bright that do nothing but cause trouble. All those times that you’ve tripped, dropped something, or said something stupid? Yea, blame those little s.

Then there are Walkers, which are the neutral party. Examples: My annoying brother. Walkers take a human shape, hence the reason why Jungkook still looks like his derpy self, but they have a greenish color to their complexion and they are transparent. Walkers can do more than the Spirits. They can actually pick up stuff and they can go through walls and like that. They can also appear for a short time in front of humans, but it takes up a lot of power to pick up stuff, so they just leave that be. Picking up stuff also drains them, so that’s why instead of smacking me, Jungkook just swipes through me. Trust me, it feels worse.

The last type of ghost would be the Wall writers. Those are what the afterlife calls the dark spirits. Seeing a Wall Writer is pretty rare, especially in places where there is a lot of light, but once night falls, you better get your home. Dark Spirits hang around all the bad areas in town like the underground markets and around people who carry bad intentions, like rapists, murderers, robbers, etc.  These guys take the shape of a human, but they are completely black. These guys, cause tragedies like deaths and accidents, sometimes if they are strong enough they cause earthquakes or tsunamis. They are also carriers of bad luck, so it’s best that if you see one you stay away.

            Anyway, the reason why I don’t mind being made fun of is because I get to watch Spirits mess with those es. Spirits are really funny when you watch them in action because it’s like you’re watching a cartoon. Imagine you see a glowing ball about the size of a tennis ball, suddenly explode and cause a pencil to drop. It’s priceless. And the unsuspecting victim sees nothing. Sometimes the little ers do really mean pranks like the one that they’re doing now.

The girl had a bottle of soda in her bag and one of the many Spirits shook it up. And you know the rest. Cola explosion all over her billion dollar bag, homework and face, smearing all her makeup too. Karma’s a right?

“Hey Jihyun.” Jungkook pokes me, “Why don’t we get some bubble tea after class?” He grins, “I really want some today.”

Oh right, Walkers can eat human food too, but they don’t need it to survive or anything, “The hell? No way, get your own.” I scoff, putting away my notebook and preparing for the next class that I was going to sleep through.

“Obviously I can’t do that genius. Just do it please?” He begs, doing some aegyo. Haha…One thing that Walkers are weak to is Holy Water. Funny right? I carry a spray bottle full of it in case of situations like this. I squirt the stuff at him and he literally trips over desks to get away from it, making a mess of the room. Holy water smells like to Walkers, so they hate it.

“Yah! Put that away! You contaminated the whole room!” (Ironic right?) He yelled at me from the opposite side of the room. I shrugged at him; popping my ear buds in, draining whatever else he wants to say. Ever since mom and dad died, I’ve secluded myself to my music which should be a bad thing now that I think about it, but I don’t really care. After Jungkook appeared though, I’ve been wondering: where did they go? There’s heaven. But why the hell did my dip of a brother end up a Walker? He couldn’t have been that bad right? From what he says, he doesn’t have any ‘unfinished business’ so the reason why he’s here is a complete mystery.