I Could Use a Wish Right Now

Making Wishes Out of Airplanes

Until one fateful day in their last year of high school...

"Damn you, Kim Minseok," Dongwoo cursed at his longtime friend who was walking beside him on a cool, breezy Sunday night with the moon brightly shining its beams down their path. "Why do I have to do this?" He complained to the slightly older man.

"Because you owe me," Said person answered, taking pleasure at his younger friend's discomfort.

"All because I forced you to do my homework?" Dongwoo raised a brow. "Couldn't you just make me do your homework instead? Or even wear a dress? Anything's better than this!" He bargained with a pout, stomping his feet like a child.

"Nope," Minseok chuckled, shaking his head as his friend's childish actions. "Now it up and quit exaggerating. This isn't the worst thing I ever had you do."

"It might as well be," Dongwoo stopped stomping his feet as he walked but still kept the pout on his face. "Why are you walking with me anyways?"

"So that I know for sure that you actually returned the favor," Minseok answered.

"Oh, yee of so little faith," The man who bore a slight resemblance to a dinosaur dryly remarked.

"I know," Minseok chimed, putting an arm around Dongwoo's shoulders. Despite his feelings of annoyance towards his older friend, Dongwoo was too nervous of the favor he had to do that he didn't bother on shrugging Minseok's arm off.

The two then continued their walk in silence. That silence was broken when they finally reached the place they, mainly Dongwoo, needed to be at which was a simple two-story light brown house with a red roof that had a white picket fence around it. Bushes were lined around the fence.

"We're here," Dongwoo stated, opening the gate.

"I know," Minseok followed his friend and closed the gate. "Now go," He roughly shoved his friend closer to the house.

"Alright, jeez," Dongwoo muttered, glaring at his friend before taking some steps and stopping a few feet away from the side of the house. He looked up at a closed window which had some light shining out of it since the curtains weren't drawn all the way.

"Looks like your target's still at home," He suddenly heard Minseok's voice in his ear and jumped a little in surprise, not expecting his friend to be beside him.

"Don't do that!" Dongwoo hissed, smacking his friend's arm. "Of course. It's a school night and we have that stupid test tomorrow which we should all still be studying for. Speaking of which, I should do that right now." He didn't even take one step away before his friend pulled him back.

"Oh no, you don't," Minseok glared at his friend. I have been waiting a long time for this and I'm not going to wait any longer. Now get the target's attention and don't try to run away," He walked over to the bushes and stepped over them before crouching down.

"Alright, I will," Dongwoo let out a sigh, seeing that he really had to do his longtime friend's favor.

"Remember I know taekwondo and kendo," He heard Minseok's threat from some feet away.

"I know," Dongwoo let out another sigh except this one sounded more irritated. God, he was starting to regret his decision to befriend Kim Minseok. "Here I go," He muttered as he gathered some pebbles and started tossing them, one by one, at the window, hoping he would get the target's attention.

-----

Go Sang-Ook regretted her decision to decline her two best friends' offer to hang out at a cafe in favor of studying for a test that's going to happen the next day. After several long hours of looking over her notes and reading her textbook, she was in desperate need of a break.

She took her eyes off the textbook she was reading for the nth time and looked at the clock at the corner of her desk. 10:30 PM. Damn.

Well, she can't join her friends at that cafe. Not that she could anyways since that cafe closed a half hour ago and that she can't go out at night alone since men weren't raised well enough to learn that they can't attack women.

"Back to studying, I suppose..." She muttered and was about to look at her notes again until she thought she heard a loud tap on her window. "What...?" She faced her window and waited a few moments for the sound to occur again.

"Guess, it must have been my imagination," She shook her head, turning away from the window. "I studied too much and now I'm going insane. Perfect. Losing my sanity better result in a good grade in the end."

Then another tap occured.

"Okay, I'm not going insane," She said as she stood up and walked over to her window. She pulled the curtains to the side and opened her window.

"Ouch!" She rubbed the middle of her forehead with her finger, feeling some slight throbbing.

"Sorry!" She heard a voice yell.

"Nice going," Another voice chortled.

"Shut up!"

She looked out the window and her eyes widened out of surprise when she saw one of her two best friends standing outside a few feet away.

"Dongwoo?" What are you doing here and why were you throwing a pebble at my head?" She asked.

"Minseok forced me to come here and I was trying to get your attention. The last one was supposed to hit the window but then you opened it," Dongwoo answered, smiling sheepishly.

"What does Minseok have to do with this?"

"Just move out of the way please if you don't want anything to hit your head again," Dongwoo simply said and Sang-Ook did what he said as she internally questioned why would her friend say such a thing.

"Damn you, wind!" She laughed, hearing her friend curse at an inanimate thing. "Okay, hang on just a second. It should go up eventually if the wind decides to cooperate with me."

A few moments later, a paper plane flew into her room and landed on her still open textbook.

"Yes!" She heard Dongwoo cheer. Sang-Ook imagined him doing some goofy dance as she went to get the plane and walked back over to the window.

"What's this?" She held the plane up, purplexed by what Dongwoo just thrown into her room.

"A wish!" Dongwoo answered cheerfully. "You're the one who came up with the idea, remember?" Her jaw unhinged a little at his answer as she remembered back to when said moment happened.

"I was like six when that happened and we all stopped sending each other planes in our last year of middle school," She shook her head at the slightly embarassing memories.

"Yeah, well, I decided that I need you to grant a wish right now," He shrugged. "Did you read it?"

"I was about to," Sang-Ook answered as she unfolded the plane she was holding. 'Get out here and grant my wish.' She read out loud once she was done unfolding it. "Really, Jang Dongwoo?"

"Will you get out here please?" Dongwoo asked with a smile on his face.

"Alright, hang on," She replied back with a chuckle as she closed her window and grabbed a sweatshirt before heading over to her friend.

--☆--

Dongwoo tapped his foot as he waited for Sang-Ook to come out.

"Aw, you're nervous and impatient. How cute," Minseok remarked with a chuckle..

"Shut up," Dongwoo replied.

"I still can't get over the fact that you threw a pebble at her head."

"Again, shut up."

"And that it took you several tries and planes before you could get one up there."

"That's it! I don't care if you could easily kill me. I swear I'm going to-"

"What wish does Sang-Ook the genie need to grant this time?" Minseok quickly ducked out of Sang-Ook's view once he heard her voice while Dongwoo froze at his spot.

"Dongwoo?" Sang-Ook snapped her fingers in front of her friend's face when he wasn't responding for a few minutes.

"Sorry, just spaced out a little," Dongwoo apologized with a sheepish smile.

"Yeah, I could tell," She laughed and despite his embarassment, he couldn't help but laugh with her. "So what's the wish does this genie needs to grant?"

"Um... uh... er..." Dongwoo stuttered, trying to find the right words to say and blushing out of embarassment when he fumbled over his words which Sang-Ook smiled at. On the other hand, at his hiding spot, Minseok was facepalming and cringing at the lack of words spoken.

"Does that wish involve being articulate?" She teased, making his face redden even more.

"Be my girlfriend!" He sputtered out which caused her to stop laughing and stare at him in shock.

"What?"

"Be my girlfriend. That's my wish," He repeated, despite his embarassment and the surprised reaction on his crush's face.

"Go Sang-Ook," He started to say when it was clear that said person wasn't going to utter a word and he looked down at his feet as he made his speech.

"You and I have been friends since practically day one of our lives and I thought I wouldn't have it any other way but then that stupid spin the bottle game happened at that party we went to that one time in our first year of middle school. At first, I was disgusted at the fact that I had to kiss you because I thought of you as a sister but then I put my lips on yours and as cliche as this sounds, I felt sparks fly between us. I guess that game wasn't so stupid now seeing that it made me stop seeing you as the girl I chased around on the playground during our elementary school days. Though I was probably in love with you the whole time you're in my life but I was too blind, immature, and stupid to see it. Anyways, I'm rambling now but I just want to let you know that I love you and everything about you, even your flaws. I don't expect you to grant my wish but I just wanted to let you know how I feel. That's why Minseok forced me to come here and interrupt your studying for that important test tomorrow. Now that everything's out in the open, I should probaby go right-"

"Dongwoo," Sang-Ook finally said, getting over her shock.

"Yes?" He looked up and the next thing he knew, the love of his life put her hands on his face and pulled him down for a kiss. After getting over the fact that the lips he wanted to kiss again since his first year of middle school were on his for the second time in his life, he immediately returned it.

"So is that a yes?" Dongwoo asked with a dorky smile on his face after they both relunctantly pulled away due to lack of oxygen.

"What do you think?" Sang-Ook raised a brow and gave him a smirk.

"I'm thinking this." And with that, he took the initiative this time and put his lips on hers which she gladly returned. This time, the two pulled apart when they saw a bright flash and heard a loud click.

Dongwoo and Sang-Ook immediately turned towards the direction of the flash and click and sent scathing glares at Minseok, who decided to come out of his hiding spot in the bushes and walk over to his two friends, holding a camera.

"Did you have to do that?" Dongwoo frowned, not happy at his older friend for ruining a moment between him and Sang-Ook.

"Yes, I had to document at least one of your kisses," Minseok answered, waving the camera he was holding. "It was about damn time you two made your feelings known and got together. Aren't you glad I forced you to do what I asked?" He put an arm around Dongwoo's shoulders.

"I suppose," Dongwoo shrugged Minseok's arm off.

'I suppose?' Sang-Ook raised a brow and crossed her arms. "You sound like you aren't happy to have me as your girlfriend, dinosaur."

"Oh, I am, and to prove it to you, I got you a gift," Her boyfriend fished something out of his pockets and put it in her hands.

"What's this?" She held the gift up closer to her face and nearly punched Dongwoo. "A necklace? With a paper airplane charm?! How cheesy!"

"Do you like it?" Dongwoo gave her a dorky smile.

"I guess..." She sighed, returning a smile back at her boyfriend.

"Let me help put it on you," He said as he took the necklace from her hand and helped her put it around her neck. "Thanks for granting my wish." He gave her a peck on the cheek, causing her to redden with embarassment.

"Get a room!" Minseok pretended to gag as he dodged Dongwoo and Sang-Ook's kicks. "By the way, when I told you to confess to Sang-Ook, I didn't mean send a paper airplane up to her room."

"I know. I just wanted to do it one more time for old time's sake." Dongwoo answered with a smile and a shrug as he put an arm around Sang-Ook's waist and another around Minseok's shoulders.