Surprise Four

Supermarket Surprises

“, , .” Jungkook cursed as he sped towards the supermarket. Their dancing instructor had kept him late, saying that it was to make up for his lack of focus during practice. He checked his watch and picked up his pace. He skidded to a stop outside of the supermarket, sweat running down his face as he frantically looked around for Hwa-young. “. I’m too late.”

 

He went into the supermarket, hoping that she had just gone inside to buy something. He quickly checked all the aisles, but only the sleepy-eyed cashier was inside. He left the supermarket, kicking himself for letting himself be late. He slowly made his way back to the dorm, feeling disappointed at missing his chance to meet her again.

 

He had just passed the crossroads where they separated to go to their own homes when he heard someone call his name. He looked up to see a sleepy looking Hwa-young running down the road towards him. “Jungkook!” she yelled, waving frantically at him. He smiled, his disappointment completely gone at seeing her. She tried to slow down but misjudged the distance, running right into him. He chuckled as he wrapped his arms around her to stop her from falling.

 

“I’m so, so sorry! I’ve been studying all day and I fell asleep! I thought I'd missed you!” she said as she stepped out of his embrace, her face red from running. “I thought I'd missed you! I was running late and I ran all the way there!” he said with a pout. She bowed her head, giving him a guilty look. “Sorry! Can you ever forgive me? I’ll buy you ice cream?” she offered, giving him her best attempt at a cute expression.

 

He pretended to think for a minute, “Ok, for the sake of ice cream, I shall forgive you.” He said with a chuckle as they turned and made their way back to the supermarket. They bought their ice creams and sat outside, enjoying the ice creams in the warm summer night. “I can’t believe we were both late.” She said with a laugh. “Some of us more dramatically late than others.” he said making her stick her tongue out at him. “At least I caught up with you! I don’t run for just anyone, consider yourself special.” She said as she nudged him playfully.

 

“You know, if I had your Kakao I could have woken you up.” he said, feeling a little bold. She nodded, “That’s actually a good idea, give me your phone.” He handed her his phone and she entered her details into her phone. “There you go. That way next time if one of us is running late, or if one of us falls asleep, we’ll know what’s going on and save us both from running about.” Jungkook felt proud for being able to get her contact details.

 

Jungkook's phone beeped with a text from Namjoon, asking him where he was. “I better get back. My hyung is looking for me.” He said as they made their way back to the crossroads. “So we broke the tradition of halving the time in between our meetings, I wonder when we’ll get to meet again.” she said, more to herself than to Jungkook. “Message me whenever you want, I’ll come and meet you whenever I can.” She grinned at him. “I like the sound of that.”

 

They reached the crossroads, both of them turning to face each other. “Make sure to message me, ok?” she said, holding up her phone. He nodded, “You too. We need to sort a date for our next meeting.” He said, hoping that they wouldn’t need to wait too long to meet. She waved to him as she turned and made her way back to her home. He watched her until she disappeared from sight. He looked down at her number in his phone. She had saved her number as “Hwa-young <3”. He couldn’t wipe the grin from his face as he headed back to the dorm.