001

Know Your Name

Hyuna wipes down the tables for the fifth time that morning. It's been so slow and she's about ready to quit the small coffee shop to switch to Starbucks or some other chain. She liked the idea of being a trained barista at a small, unknown company but it's the fifth day in a row where she's served a max of two customers in five hours.

She drops down into a chair and stares out the window at all the people passing by without stopping in. Hyuna huffs and puts her head in her arms on the table. She should have known that a coffee shop in the center of Gangnam wouldn't do well. These business moguls would rather go to Starbucks or not get coffee at all. They wouldn't know real coffee if she poured it on their heads.

"Excuse me," someone says. Hyuna jumps to her feet and stumbles slightly from getting up too fast. A good looking guy stands in the door not fully entering the shop. He has jet black hair that's shaved on the sides but longer hair on top that flops attractively to the side and back in a way that says I tried but not really. He's covered almost completely in tattoos and Hyuna isn't sure what to do with her herself.

"Is this place open," he asks.

Hyuna has to stop herself from opening and closing like a fish. She nods instead to save herself the humiliation of talking. Normally she's calm, collected, cool. But she was moping and caught off guard. She saunters behind the counter of the bar to the register.

"Sorry about that, what can I get for you," she asks. He gives a lazy half smile and Hyuna wishes it didn't make her heart stutter but he's ridiculously attractive.

"I've been dying for a good dead eye, do you have that?"

Hyuna nods and punches the buttons on the register for half espresso half dripped coffee, "for here or to go?"

"What's the difference?"

Hyuna looks up, "a glass mug or a paper cup."

"For here," he smiles again and Hyuna looks back at the register. 

"That'll be $3.50," she says and gives him her sweet, customer smile. He gives a full smile back and hands her a $5. 

"It'll take a little while since I have to drip the coffee," Hyuna warns giving him back his change. He nods his head and takes a seat at a table near the register and pulls a notebook out of his bag. 

Hyuna's glad to finally be able to make coffee. She'd make it without customers if she could but she can't waste supplies like that unless it's about to expire and there's too much around. Which, unfortunately, has happened. 

She turns on the espresso machine then turns to the front of the counter to gently start dripping water over the beans. She can feel the man's eyes on her but she's okay with it. She's used to people staring when she makes coffee. It's an art and just like other art forms it's beautiful to watch. 

She smiles gently as her shoulder moves in slow circles to pour the hot water and her free arm is behind her back out of the way. The end of her pony tail tickles her neck and she shakes her head to move it effectively moving her bangs out of her eyes as well. 

All too soon she's done making the coffee. She pours the carefully made coffee over the cup of espresso so it doesn't over blend. Hyuna sets the cup on a small tray and carries it over to him.

"Thank you," he says giving her another half smile and taking the cup from the tray.

"It was my pleasure," she responds and returns to behind the counter to clean up. She lets the espresso machine do a full clean, she doubts it will be used again today and it will allow her to get through close and clean up more easily. Then she tosses the beans she used to brew the coffee and rinses out the pot. 

Hyuna holds back a sigh as she looks around the still empty cafe. It's back to pretending to look busy. Hyuna wipes down the counter so many time she's actually looking forward to watching the cup he's drinking out of when he's finished just for a change of pace.

She thinks she keeps feeling the man's eyes on her but every time she looks up to catch him he's writing furiously in his notebook. It must just be wishful thinking on her part, she tells herself.

Hyuna's staring at the counter lost in thought when his chair scrapes back against concrete floor loudly making her jump. He gives Hyuna an apologetic smile. 

"Can I get another?"

"Do you want to die of caffeine overdose," Hyuna replies. Sometimes she wishes she had a better filter for what she says. He gives a small laugh. It's a nice sound, Hyuna thinks. She cringes and says, "Sorry, of course you can if you want."

"No, you're right. Can I get a Cafe Au Lait instead."

Hyuna wrinkles her nose cutely and praises, "Much better choice."

He sits back down. She's sure she can feel his eyes on her now and she glances up at him to see that she's right. She uses the same meticulousness to make the Cafe Au Lait and brings it to him on the tiny tray.

"How much was this," he asks. 

"$2," she replies. He hands her the bills and then glances down at her chest before looking back up.

"You're not wearing a name tag," he states. 

"Excuse me," she replies very put off. She wonders if he's using that as an excuse to glance at her not so huge rack, but rack none-the-less.

His cheeks color, "Oh I'm sorry. I was just trying to figure out your name. You make coffee beautifully."

She resists the urge to say I know in a snarky tone and instead says, "Thank you."

"But seriously, what's your name?" Hyuna squints her eyes at him. 

"I'm not a creep, don't worry, I just want to know your name."

"Maybe I'll give it to you next time you visit," Hyuna says haughtily and walks away. 

"I'm Jay Park. You know, in case you were curious." Hyuna glances at him from behind the counter but doesn't say anything. Jay gives her small smirk. He stares at her as he downs his coffee and then leaves the shop.