Chapter V.ii

Nightingale (2012-13)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Nightingale (2012) // PG-13 // SHINee, EXO, OC

Chapter V.ii

 

Upon closing the mahogany door Kai descends the steps bold enough to hope in fooling Taemin; his heel purposely echoes off the stone walls and when he reaches the bottom Kai doesn’t hesitate to spin around and ascend right back up--on his tiptoes. He hugs the wall, careful so his clothes don’t ruffle or his shoes scuff. He’s being foolish and holds his breath in case Taemin was listening for his return (who is he kidding? Of course Taemin’s listening. First day on the job and he’s already made mistakes).

Kai holds his breath and seats himself right under the Observatory door, leaning toward the small lift of it where light just barely shines through. He listens for their voices, but neither Taemin nor Bea speak and a rush of air into his face tells him that they already left for her room.

The school building still being emptied of students, it wouldn’t be safe for Bea to walk the corridors or talk to students until she’s been warned. Or as Taemin says, sanitized. Kai isn’t entirely against sanitizing her humanity--from the little he knows she’s already a paradox--but the feeling in his gut is telling him to rethink Taemin’s order. He won’t disobey, no, but now that he’s here he can question.

Unlike being back at the Hole, appropriately named so since assigned feeders tend to live underground like rodents, this isn’t like the lower levels of the mansion, he doesn’t have to wait for permission to enter; the Observatory, he was told, was constructed for feeders and the school staff alike. Humans.

‘Humans can pass under this doorframe.’

Because all humans have souls--cruel as some are. Morals, Kai snickered. They have restrained sense of morals and no soul, therefore only those with a soul are protected by the Observatories veil of restriction. No demon can enter the safe haven.

So why…is Taemin so keen on her presence in particular? That is the question he intends to ask instead of what he secretly wishes because no good will come of it. He may have made the mistake of speaking and interacting with her first, but surely Bea wouldn’t deny him that.

He touches his lip, the taste of rust lingering on the buds of his tongue. The scarf around his neck suddenly feels too tight and Kai finds his fingers fumbling to pull it off. He can breathe now, the fabric no longer a hangman’s noose, as he stands on unsteady legs and carefully descends down the stairs, a hand pressed against the wall for extra support.

At the end of the stairs is a narrow hallway that forks two ways, he takes the left route going toward the kitchen where he finds a couple staff members chattering away; they’re excited to see their families and greet him cheerfully, offering a seat to join them. He declines respectably but asks if there was anything he could do. The feeders say no, tell him that newbies are rare this time of year and ask about his presence.

“I’m not a public feeder.” He admits and they don’t believe him. He worries his bottom lip thinking that they’re offended--being hired meal-on-legs isn’t exactly an admiring job--but they’re quick to notice and laugh it off.

“Wadya doin’ here then?” The tall one with a strange face asks, waggling his brows. “Lookin’ for a keeper, aren’t cha?” He tsks. “That’s illegal.”

Unclaimed

Please log in to read the full chapter