Chapter IV

Nightingale (2012-13)
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Nightingale (2012) Genre: Mystery, Epic Tragedy, Vampire!AU Rating: PG-13 for mention of blood and disturbing themes Word Count: ~4,600+ Summary:  Bomi Evans, (A.K.A. ‘Bea’), has been sent to Bast Academy--a notorious as well as unknown private school in the middle of nowhere. Through her journey to the school she meets someone strangely familiar and stumbles upon interesting allies.   A/N: Late update is late. OTL.

Chapter IV

From what Bea gathered in her short time coming to know the academy and its assets, there was going to be major culture shocks to deal with. First off, the students she bumped into weren’t exactly welcoming--be it the lack of exposure to the opposite in school or the difference in atmosphere. Whatever. Second, she isn’t entirely chagrined being so close to someone physically different, but Abigail’s personality had her full attention.

Somebody that could talk so freely with other students is someone that she should form an alliance with. Abigail could be her ticket up the social status that has already been established in the first semester…

Or a shot in the wrong direction if it turns out being different is an abnormality looked down upon. Perhaps she already devised her demise in the popularity ladder.  In that case, Bea has to start at square one and mingle--like the newb she is--in hope that a group a students accept her personality as their own and brava, a clique is born. Not something to look forward to.

Ever so discretely she stared down to the petite girl. Abigail didn’t show any concern and took the liberty of giving a welcoming speech that consisted of: first-come-first-serve basis during dining hours; curfew is applicable to those who aren’t wise; ‘Checks’ do actually occur from time to time, often by an instructor; and most importantly, if not the one thing that will send any student home, is that by no means is a Feeder allowed to enter the student’s dormitory. If caught, both the student and feeder will be shunned from the academy, furthermore disgracing their family clans.

Bea translated the last one to: Faculty-(Underage)Student relationships are a no-no, and getting caught in the act results in a One. Way. Ticket. Home.

“What is the purpose of guardians and feeders around here?” she questioned meekly, purposely leaving out the ‘keeper’ term that Kai used. She would ask him that if they ever crossed paths again, which will hopefully be sooner rather than never.

Abigail, fusion eyes the only colorful thing about her appearance, patted off the invisible dust from her crème toned attire. She fit ivory strands behind an ear before answering, long lashes the colour of snow sweep her cheeks when she blinks. She’s much more reserved now that they can speak directly and lifts her head.

“Um,” The moment their eyes met something happened. Something Bea can’t explain it, the sudden attraction she felt before Abigail’s pupil’s dilated slightly and she blinked. The feeling was gone as quickly as it came and Bea almost missed her answer.  “Can you be more specific? That’s a broad topic.”

It’s that exactly that Bea doesn’t know what to say. Seeking the answer to a topic she knows nothing of is challenging. “That guy, Minho, I think. He gave me the impression that my guardian should have been here with me.”

“Ah, that. You’re new.” And that was supposed to be her best answer? Thankfully not. She only paused for a moment to come up with an ideal explanation behind Minho’s question. “You see, during the start of the academic year, first years often board with their Guardian till they’re accustomed. That’s why Minho, and Cheolyong, thought you were a Feeder.

“You being here without a Guardian and wearing that scarf, it’s like dipping yourself in a pool of blood and swimming with sharks.”

Bea shuddered inwardly, not at the thought of being torn apart by a frenzy of hungry elasmobranches in an ‘eating phase’ frenzy, but at idea of swimming in a tank full of red fluid. She swallowed, her saliva somehow managing to drop straight to her stomach like acid.

 “What’s wrong with this?” She touched the lavender silk that Karen wrung around her neck. It smelled strongly of the mature perfume her aunt always wore; floral rose is the scent she identifies with the woman that raised her.

“Look at it this way: if I didn’t know any better, I would think you were hiding bite marks.”

Hickeys?! Despicable! “No! No, I’m not hiding anything. It was a departure gift.” Sort of, though she made no move to untie it. If that gets her attention so be it.

Abigail showed indifferent. “Some people need that reminder, especially this time of year.”

She explained an extended version of what the receptionist, M. Birch, told Bea. The majority of students left the academy long before Bea arrived, a small portion choosing to stay, and are due back by the start of the second semester. Abigail is part of the majority that wants to visit her family; that leaves Bea pointedly alone of companionship--well, of females if she happens to cross Kai.

“Don’t worry, Cheolyong is leaving also.”

“He doesn’t scare me.” She said without thinking.

Abigail smiled wide without showing any teeth. “Can I ask a favour?”

“Sure.” She has no reason to say no.

“If you would be so kind as to look after my rabbits while I’m gone, I’d appreciate it.”

“What. Your rabbits. Are here?”

“Mm.” She nodded. “I have a pen out in the gardens, they’re already burrowed underground, and perfectly capable of surviving on their own. But I like to make sure they don’t wander too far. You’d only have to feed them once a day.”

“Something like a head of lettuce and a batch of carrots?”

“There you go. They’re fond of hay. All of my supply is downstairs, in the kitchen. The staff and I are on good terms, whoever stays behind can show you where everything is.”

“Sounds plausible. Sure, I can do that.”

“Wonderful!” Abigail clapped her hands, flashing the brightest grin she’s ever seen. A grin that Bea shouldn’t have noticed, but. she. did.

“You have the pointiest teeth I have ever seen.”

“Oh.” She might have mumbled an “Oops.” The delighted student hid her mouthy behind a hand. “Thank you. I floss thrice daily.”

Bea’s not sure if she just complimented her. Truthfully, she’s never seen anyone with more defined and long canines. She could blame it on albinism, but that wouldn’t be truly fair at all. Ding. Bea followed behind her onto the clean tile of the top level and down an exceptionally lit hallway. There were lampposts coming out of the wall every fifth step on both sides. That’s a lot of light bulbs.

“Here we are.”

It’s almost embarrassing that she nearly ran into her when the small girl abruptly stopped; Bea unconsciously engrossed herself in listening and to the echoes of their heels and the way Abigail seemed to dance forward. They stood in front of frosted cut-glass doors; the other side is dark, save for the bit that the fixtures illuminated.

“Welcome to the Observatory.” Abigail took grip of the handle and hauled it open, at the same moment the lights inside flickered on. “The lights are automatic.” she explained, motioning for Bea to go first.

Phew, Bea whistled.

She looked up for good measure, nope. No dome. She half expected a copper parlor with the measurements of an attic, not an entire sparkling floor of tables and lounging divans. No wall is left bare; directly across the entrance is a massive curtain that--she presumed--covered equally large windows and levels of literature boarded everywhere else. Except for a lonely door--to left--squished between two shelves and the painted insignia of two upside down triangles bordering a unique crucifix, all inside of a ring, over it. Well, that’s normal.

Bea jabbed her thumb at it, ready to question the Cult reference and her safety. “Is that--aren’t you coming in?”

A small foot stuck under the doorframe to hold it open and hand still on the lever, Abigail shook her head. “Don’t be silly, I can’t--Uhm. Wait here. I’ll be back in a bit.”

“What am I suppose--”

“Just stay inside. Don’t go out. And don’t touch that door. Alright?” she didn’t wait for a reply.

Bea hurried to catch the door before it closed. She was already halfway down the hall. Fast. “How long do I have to wait?”

With a dance to her step the petite student simply ignored that or pretended not to hear--which Bea thinks is ridiculous--and continued on her way. She watched her disappear into the area of the elevators and heard the ding. Bea frowned, taking a step back inside and walking over to the first thing that caught her interest.

Lifting the hem of the drape, she pushed it aside with her elbow to see the view beyond the monstrous window. By the looks of it, the Observatory is placed squarely center over the dormitory. An unlit fountain is the centerpiece, it branches off with three cobblestone paths; to the right is a vine covered arch that frames the entrance of the first path, it connects to a replicated building--by the power of elimination that makes it the lecture hall, classrooms and such. The path in the center curved into an acre of a shrub-lined garden--Bugs Bunny’s home. And to the far left is a series of tall, twisting hedges. They’re grouped adjacent by the ends and curve like a maze--it looks easy to navigated from what she can see.

Coating the farthest regions is a consumption of thick forest, not even rising moonlight crept inside. Woodland animals, deer and rodents likely, dwell beyond it and the entire concept of being in the middle of nowhere tiptoed into Bea’s thoughts. The drive from the aeroport seemed unnecessarily long since she had enough time to stare out at kilometers of prairies and rest her eyes. Now that it’s finally setting in, she could help put notice the lack of streetlamps--or any florescent light for that matter--in the distance.

Back home the night sky never showed this many stars, which is ironic as she stands in the Observatory with no telescope post in sight. She finds the lack a pleasant change, everything looked more natural, even the ground below, she can see bits of gleaming spots here and there from the melted ice and prior rainfall.

Bea was on the verge of letting the velvet curtain drop when movement from the hedge maze caught her attention. From an entrance (or exit) she didn’t spot before a figure--a man by the build--with partially light hair emerged. He turned around, looking back inside the maze till a second person came into view, he’s taller and with a full head of light hair, his mouth moves while they head toward the  dormitory.

She wonders if they were students--well duh--and if they would be leaving with Abigail. She looks away for a moment and nearly revels when the little white girl bounces out of nowhere, skipping like a ballerina. Two dark-haired people are close behind her, for one of them she doesn’t have to see his face to know it’s Minho.

So they’re friends, she concluded.

It thoroughly explains Abigail’s casualty towards Minho. Typical boy-girl friendships. Oh how she envied them. Going to an all-girls institution and suddenly transferring to a co-ed academy is bound to a custom shock.

Wait. Hold up. Bea scrunched her nose. It’s one thing to learn something about relations with the opposite , it’s anoth

Please log in to read the full chapter