Parallels

Parallels

-----

 

It was some time during the middle of a random day when Tiffany realized she was in love with her roommate. Taeyeon was everything that she wasn’t—quiet, shy, would probably only leave their apartment when it catches on fire. And even then she would probably still be reluctant to leave the confines of her safe haven.

But she was sweet, you know. She had the kind of sweetness that made Tiffany smile like her face will tear into two because Taeyeon would leave her breakfast because her roommate knew she couldn’t cook for . One time, she even brought snacks to her at the workshop because she also knew that Tiffany often forgets to eat whenever she was in the middle of a project.

Like who does that, she thought.

Who would wait for you in a workshop where she didn’t have anything to do with until the crack of dawn because she was really worried that you’ll get into an accident on your way home or turn at a wrong junction because your sense of direction was like your cooking—terrible and life threatening?

What kind of person would take you to the pet shelter every week because there was one puppy there that you really liked but couldn’t get because you’re unfortunately allergic to dogs?

Really, who does that?

Taeyeon does, Tiffany answered herself almost immediately.

And maybe falling in love with her wasn’t a bad thing (because love could never be a bad thing), because Taeyeon has been nothing but good to her.

And so what if her best friend was a girl? Hearts didn’t have es the last time she checked. Taeyeon’s heart was precious and she’d love to take care of it if given the chance, because the girl had been taking care of heart ever since too.

She was there when she cried over her stupid ex, helped in mending her heart with pints and pints of her favorite ice cream that Taeyeon continuously bought for her until she couldn’t eat anymore. She never left even if she had soaked and stained three of her shirts with her tears and snot because she kept crying on her every night until she fell asleep with puffy eyes and red nose, even held her in her sleep so she’d feel warm and safe.

So really, being with Taeyeon would probably be the best thing that could ever happen in her life.

Now, the only thing she has to do was to tell her.

 

-----


It was when Taeyeon had discovered that Tiffany couldn’t cook that she realized that she was in love with her roommate. Tiffany was everything that she wasn’t—loud, confident—she was so sociable that she spends most of her time outside until the wee hours of morning.

But she was so kind, you know? She had the kind of selflessness that made Taeyeon feel warm from the ends of her blonde hair to the tips of her toes. Her roommate couldn’t cook for but she still tried her best to make her chicken noodle soup when she was too sick to leave her bed, and though it tasted virtually nothing because Tiffany apparently forgot to add in the seasoning, the warm broth still helped in easing Taeyeon’s pain. One time, she even skipped school just so she could monitor her condition the whole day.

Like who does that, she thought.

Who would stay in your room the whole day with the risk of catching whatever you had to check your temperature every three hours and replace the ice pack you had on your head as soon as the ice melted, just because you’re too much of a baby to take care of yourself?

What kind of person would drag you out every week because you’ve been in your room for too long and your skin was starting to look paler than usual, and take you to the pet shop instead of the park or the mall because she knew you preferred seeing adorable animals than other human beings?

Really, who does that?

Tiffany does, Taeyeon answered herself almost immediately.

And maybe falling in love with her wasn’t a bad thing (because love could never be a bad thing), because Tiffany deserved all the good in the world and there was nothing Taeyeon would ever want than for her roommate to be happy.

And so what if her best friend was a girl? Love doesn’t care about gender the last time she checked. Tiffany was such a lovely human being and she’d love to take care of her, the same way Tiffany had been taking care of her ever since.

When she cried over her stupid ex, Taeyeon made sure that their freezer was b with pints and pints of her favorite ice cream because she knew Tiffany always felt better after a few scoops of strawberries and cream. And she never left her side even though her roommate had soaked and stained three of her shirts from crying on her every night until she fell asleep with puffy eyes and red nose, holding her in her sleep so she’d feel warm and safe.

So really, being with Tiffany would probably be the best thing that could ever happen in her life.

Now, the only thing she has to do was to tell her.
 

---------

---------

 

Taeyeon could hear the familiar jingling of keys from outside their front door and , this was it, she thought, it’s happening. She had been keeping her feelings in for far too long and it’s not supposed to be like that—love shouldn’t be bottled in, especially for someone like Tiffany.

Before she knew it, her feet had already taken her to the threshold—barefoot, dressed only in worn out joggers and a very loose muscle shirt that hung awkwardly against her thin frame, her long, unkempt blonde wavy hair cascading down her shoulders in knots.

The knob turned and the door opened, revealing a shocked Tiffany.

Their eyes met, and if Taeyeon wasn’t sure before, she was now.

She opened to speak but Tiffany’s lips already took the words away.

 

-----


Tiffany thought she heard a quick shuffling of footsteps from the other side of the front door, and , this was it, she thought, it’s happening. She had just realized about her feelings but they were all very intense, and a love like that shouldn’t be bottled in, especially for someone like Taeyeon.

The knob turned and the door opened, revealing Taeyeon—barefoot, dressed only in worn out joggers and a very loose muscle shirt that hung awkwardly against her thin frame, her long, unkempt blonde wavy hair cascading down her shoulders in knots.

Their eyes met, and if Tiffany wasn’t sure before, she was now.

Taeyeon opened to speak but Tiffany’s lips already took the words away.

 

-----


And their lips fit, too perfectly against each other (because Taeyeon was shorter and Tiffany was taller) like puzzle pieces that were meant to be together. They kissed and breathed whatever unspoken words they wanted to say, and it was all so wonderful—because they were friends but now they were also more.

And as they kissed and held each other by the threshold of their shared home, they thought, both of them, that nothing would ever be the same again.

Because love grew and it was everything they could ever want with each other and more.
 

The End.