004

L'exquisite Douleur
Please log in to read the full chapter
 

Yeuna felt her blood freeze when he spoke, his pink lips upturning into a cruel smile. His eyes were coal black, and she felt as if she were looking into death itself. His silky black hair swooped just right at his brows, and his black suit was impeccably clean. He was young and handsome, and he looked like sin.

But not the kind you wanted to taste.

“Ah, so you’re the girl that has been causing so much trouble for my men.”

When he spoke the air seemed to still, and Yeuna could feel his fraudulently amiable tone wrap around her like a vice, suffocating any hope she might have felt when Hoseok’s gentle eyes had fallen upon her. She found herself subconsciously gripping her friend’s arm tightly, and as if sensing her distress, Hoseok moved closer to her, body tense.

The man began to slowly walk forward, polished dress shoes carefully placed one in front of the other. “Jimin,” he cooed, gloved hand lightly reaching  out towards the boy who was groaning in pain and leaning against the cracked wall for support as he held his bloody face. The man began to gently the injured boy’s head.

“Boss,” Jimin’s usual playful tone was gone, anger evident on his twisted features. “That ing bi-”

But his words were cut off when the man suddenly had fistfuls of sunset hair in his gloved hand, yanking his head harshly up so that it hit the wall with a dull thud.

“Jiminie,” his eyebrows were furrowed in mock confusion, cold smirk present. “If what Namjoon told me was correct, he said to let me deal with this situation. Am I wrong?”

“But that b-”

The man in black sighed, seemingly annoyed, before he brought a fist to Jimin’s stomach. Jimin instantly doubled over, a cry emitting from his lips as he stumbled forward.

The man’s grip on Jimin’s scalp tightened, his sickeningly smug smirk never wavering, gloating over the way Jimin crumpled beneath his blows.

“Are you saying that Namjoon hyung is lying? Are you calling our hyung a liar?” The man feigned shock, lips stretching wider with every chide remark.  

The anger Jimin had displayed was gone, replaced by a glint of fear. “Of course not, Jungkookie.”

The man- Jungkook, released his silky strands from his grip, patting a hunched over Jimin on the back, whose face was still twisted in pain. “That’s it,” he cooed, continuing his patting motions. “What a good hyung you are.” His cold eyes found Yeuna’s trembling form on the ground once again. He cocked his head to the side, a smile of false compassion playing at his lips. “And what about our guest? You’ve been treating this lovely lady kindly, right?” He stopped his ministrations to Jimin’s back. “What happened to your face, Jiminie? You don’t look too well.”

Yeuna in a sharp intake of air as Jimin stared directly at her, expression unreadable. This was it for her. He would tell Jungkook what she had done to him and then he would turn to her, gloved hands wrapping around her neck and strangling her in glee just as Jimin had done earlier.

“I fell,” Jimin muttered lamely. “I wasn’t watching where I was going and I fell.”

“That’s unfortunate,” Jungkook said almost mockingly, before he was once again enraptured by Yeuna’s presence, heavy footsteps echoing as he approached her.

Hoseok was silent, but Yeuna didn’t miss the way his jaws clenched as Jungkook came closer.  

He stopped in front of her, eyeing the dirty floor in disdain before crouching down so that he was eye level with her caved in frame. Yeuna instinctively flinched back, but if Jungkook noticed he didn’t say anything.

“I’m Jeon Jungkook,” he introduced, sticking a leathered gloved hand out for her to take. “I don’t believe I caught your name, darling.”

For a moment, Yeuna forgot how to speak, her breath shaky as her heart beat erratically in her chest, every muscle in her body screaming at her to run from this dangerous man with dark eyes and a fictitious smile.

“Don’t be scared,” he reassured her, reaching out to gently grasp her hand in his leather clad one and place a kiss against her bruised knuckle, ignoring the way Hoseok’s nose flared in obscured rage. His lips were cold, and Yeuna had to resist the urge to rip her hand from his grip, feeling repulsed. “Kim Yeuna was it?” he asked, still holding her shaky hand. “Or at least that’s what Suga hyung told me. What a beautiful name, fitting for a beautiful noona.” 
 

When Jungkook complimented her, why did her skin crawl?

He stood up, letting her slender fingers slip from his light hold. Looking down to the slight wrinkled folds of his slacks, Jungkook’s demure facade slightly faltered as a look of irritation flashed across his features, but it was gone in an instant as he smoothed the wrinkles, dusting off nonexistent dirt.

“You never told me you had such a pretty friend, Hobi hyung,” Jungkook’s cold eyes glinted in amusement as he finally acknowledged the man. “Why didn’t you tell us you were hiding such a...delicacy?”

“Yeah, Hobi hyung,” Jimin mocked, straightening himself out. “Why didn’t you tell us?”

Yeuna noted the way Hoseok’s adam’s apple moved as he swallowed, the question like weights on his shoulders. Jungkook was clearly expecting an answer.

“Because,” he said, anger rising in his voice. “There was nothing to tell. I haven’t seen her in years. I didn’t even know she was in Seoul until...” he trailed off, averting his gaze.

“You saw didn’t you?” Jungkook’s hard gaze was once again on her, as if Hosoek’s words had been nothing more than a whisper in the wind. “You saw something you weren’t supposed to.”

Yeuna was shaking her head frantically, finding her voice for once as she stuttered a meek no.

Jungkook cocked his head. “Really? You didn’t see anything, pretty noona?”

“I didn’t,” she breathed. “It was too dark, and I have bad eyesight and-”

Jungkook brought a slender finger to his lips, silencing her. “You know what I hate? People who talk too much. It makes me wanna,” he made a slitting motion across his neck with his index finger. “I also hate liars. You understand what happens to people who lie to me, don’t you, pretty noona?”

“Y-yes.”

He brought a hand to her hair. “I’m glad you didn’t see anything, noona. It would have been...unfortunate for you if you had.”

Jimin took a step forward, “Jungkookie, you aren’t seriously thinking about letting her-

“I wasn’t speaking to you, Jimin.” The fraudulent kindness in Jungkook’s voice had disappeared, his expression set in a vicious scowl before he began to smile once again. “I’m sorry for the way Jimin hyung treated you. He isn’t the most hospitable person. I hope you understand.”

She nodded.

Please log in to read the full chapter