~02

Opposites Attract

 

The Tuan family arrived at the Parks' house for dinner.

"Nothing has really changed since I was last here," said Sera looking around the outside of the house.

"Its just the outside. You shouldn't judge a book by it cover," said Mark who suddenly appeared beside her.

"You always act so smart. Its annoying." Sera frown at him and walked towars the door.

 They are greeted by Mr. and Mrs. Park at the entrance. The Parks were dressed in all black while the Tuans wore white. Not only were their kids opposites, but so were they. 

"Where is Jinyoung?" Sera asked.

Just then Jinyoung walked downstairs and greeted the Tuans.

"Hi Sera, how has Taiwan been treating you?"

Sera stared at him in disbelief, "Wow. I mean seriously. Who says that these days. You sound like an adult."

"Sera, we are adults."

"You know what I mean," she said walking towards the dining room.

Everyone are seated at the dining table. The chef served a fancy meal. The parents drank wine and chatted. Their childrens ate their quietly. Mr.Park looked at the kids and then at Mr. Tuan and nodded.

"Kids," said Mr.Tuan making them look towards him. "We are here today not just to celebrate all of us together again, but we also have an announcement to make."

"Us Parks and Tuans have been friends for over thirty years. You have all known each other for long time. After talking, we decided to take our families relationship to the next step," Mr.Park said.

"We have arranged a marriage between Sera and Jinyoung."

"What?!" The kids screamed.

 "Father, what are you saying? You didn't talk to me about this," said Jinyoung. 

"I know you are upset, but lets talk first," Mr. Park said calmly getting up with Jinyoung following after.

"Mom, did you know about this?" Sera asked.

Mrs. Tuan nodded, "Sorry sweetie."

"Hey sis, remember when you said this morning if this was longer it would be like a wedding dress, now you are actually going to wear a wedding dress," said Joey laughing while Sera shot him an unamused look.

Mark nudged his younger brother,"Shh, its not the time for this."

After their meal, the moms chatted in the kitchen, the dads were in the study room, Sera's brothers sat in the living room. Only one person was nowhere to be found.

Sera looked at the back door that was left ajar.

Sera walked out to the patio and smiled. 

Jinyoung stood there in the middle of the patio looking dazed.

"Hey,"she said standing beside him. "Why so serious?"she said referencing the line by the Joker from the movie The Dark Knight.

Jinyoung looked at her expressionless.

"Why are you staring at me like that? Seriously, even after all these years you still don't have a sense of humor," said Sera pouting. "Do you dislike you being married to me that much? Is that why you are acting like this?"

"No, Sera its not about being married to you, but being married at all. I never planned or wanted to get married. Why are you so calm about this situation? We are stuck in an arranged marriage. Aren't you angry or upset?" Jinyoung asked not understanding why she isn't reacting much to the news.

"Honestly, I guess I'm not so surprise. I kind of expected it. Our mothers have been nagging us about our love life since forever. I don't think this... arranged marriage thing would be so bad. We would be free, without all the nagging about our love life and admirers chasing after us. This is a pretty good deal."

Jinyoung nodded in agreement, "You are right, but this is strictly business."

"Fine by me."

 


Happy New Years! I have school on Monday so I probably won't be able to update often.

Leave a comment!