Chapter Three

Jedi Rising

Kim Jongin woke up to his body aching and his arm bleeding through the bandage he'd wrapped himself. The blood stood out starkly against the once pristine wide of the tub. He sat up and winced, the pain in his back making the area stiff and painful. He wondered if coming out to Seoul was really worth all this.

As soon as the thought came though, Jongin flinched. Of course it was worth the effort.

Jongin got out and inspected the cut on his face. The skin around it was tender when he poked and prodded at it, but it wasn’t bleeding and it wasn’t even a deep cut. No real harm was done. He'd be fine. The arm was worse and when he redid the bandages, the skin pulled uncomfortably. Despite his injuries, Jongin couldn’t help but feel that he’d gotten off easy from the fight last night. Jongin stumbled out of the bathroom and went to the bedroom and put on his jacket. His lightsaber lay on the table and Jongin wondered if he was truly ready to be a Jedi. His training had been cut short by his parents, who insisted that he knew all he needed.

He had never quite agreed with that decision and it was obvious that his parents had probably helped him get these injuries, no matter how good their intentions were. Unlike most people who learned the force, Jongin had a series of tutors who could only teach him the theories of the force, and he’d had very little practical experience. And Jongin wasn’t confident in his skills and according to last night he'd been correct. After the mess from last night, well he was confident that he would never reach that level of control over the force. The way his assailants had just stopped the scene and gotten under his skin, it was obvious how untrained he really was. The only thing that kept him alive to see today, was his slightly above average training with the lightsaber and his wits.

Jongin checked the time and nearly keeled over. He’d slept for eight hours since the fight. It didn’t seem that bad but Jongin worried, since he was on a trail and it had most likely gone cold while he was unconscious. He needed to extend his time at the hotel so he would have time to make arrangements to leave. As Jongin made his way to the elevator he felt it, a presence approaching him.

He’d never sensed the force from someone other than his teachers and the ones who attacked him last night and it made him anxious. Who was on the elevator? More from last night? An ally? The possibilities made his head spin. His dominant arm was still sore and he’d rather not have to fight with it so soon.

But how could they find him? He only told one person where he was. But, he wouldn’t have...

The sting of betrayal blossomed in his throat and Jongin promised himself if he made it through this, to get revenge if he was still up for it, if he could even hurt his friend in such a way.

The elevator stopped on his floor and Jongin took out his lightsaber and swung it as soon at the door opened, to throw off his visitor. He saw someone duck and roll to avoid the lightsaber. He felt a hand wrap around his ankle and yank. Jongin fell on his back, and he was breathless for a moment. That moment was all they needed, whoever they were. A young man leaned over him, a hard glint in his eyes.

“Who are you?” he asked the man who hovered above him, lightsaber aimed at this face. The lightsaber was white with a blue core and Jongin was temporarily surprised. Standard issue. Hot around the edges, but cooler in the center. Jongin's own was a more expensive model, but he wasn't sure it was balanced correctly. Admiration aside, Jongin didn't trust this guy, obviously and was trying to think of a way out of this without fighting. 

“You first, rookie.” the other man taunted, waggling the lightsaber tauntingly. It thrummed and Jongin winced as he felt the heat it gave off. He would rather avoid another fight if he could, but Jongin’s hopes weren’t high. This guy was better than him for sure and seemed keen on Jongin staying right where he was. It was probably better to cooperate.

“Kim Jongin.” he spat out, cringing when the lightsaber falter and fell almost dangerously close to his face.

The other man raised his eyebrows in obvious surprise. 

“Huh. Well. Guess I found you. I’m not here to kill you.” Jongin felt tentative hope but scoffed anyway.

“Say that to the blue light in my face.” Jongin bit out. The other man rolled his eyes.

“This is for the lightsaber you swung at me. But I guess you forgot since you bonked your head real good. Anyway, I’m gonna let you up, so try not to get itchy fingers again.” The man sprang up and Jongin was a little jealous, as his back wouldn’t allow movement like that for quite some time. He was usually very spry but being able to stand up straight felt like a luxury.

“I’m Byun Baekhyun and it looks like we’re both in big trouble. Please tell me you’re better at fighting with that lightsaber than you just showed me.”  Jongin was highly insulted though a part of him heartily agreed with the other man. He'd had his handed to him soundly last night, and the injuries he'd gotten only made his most recent encounter go even less in his favor. But it was still embarrassing how easily he'd been beaten. He'd barely put up a fight.

“Well I got my kicked last night by some punks, so not for a while I won’t, no.” Jongin groaned, standing up and resting a hand on his back wincing in pain. Baekhyun was not moved, not that Jongin expected him to be.

“Were they punks with blunt weapons, or lightsabers? Because if it’s the former you’re not who I need. But if it’s the latter, you’re gonna wanna come with me.” Jongin snorted and limped away in the other direction. He was going to the other elevator and extending his stay. He couldn't resist asking though, despite his own brain telling him this was a dumb idea.

“And why should I trust you?” The other man grabbed his arm, thankfully the uninjured one, and stopped him. Jongin paused, but didn’t turn.

“I was told to come here by my Master, but she told me I was supposed to find someone else through you. Kim Jongdae?” Jongin whirled around as quickly as his back would allow and growled at the man. A clue! Or at the very least, someone who could guide him to one.

“What do you know about my brother?” he asked quietly, hoping he didn't look at desperate as he felt.

Baekhyun looked at Jongin with disdain and nodded.

“Alright, I see I struck a nerve. Jongdae is apparently important for something that's happening. But my Master doesn’t have much information for me to go on. She’s busy and damn near impossible to reach, so I can’t really rely on her to help.” Baekhyun explained. Jongin limped closer.

“Find a way.” Jongin growled, stepping right into Baekhyun’s face and glowering down at him. Baekhyun looked unbothered and lifted his hand. Jongin was pushed back few feet and he collided with the wall. His back screamed in pain and Jongin winced, and lamented his back. He would probably feel this for a while.

“You’re in no place to be giving threats, rookie.” he nagged, waggling his finger. “Besides, I am going to help you, since apparently he has some information on who wanted me and you beat up. We should team up.” Baekhyun suggested, with a sly smirk. Jongin snorted.

“I don’t do teamwork.” It was more like he was bad at it but this guy didn’t need to know. And he was feeling a little bitter at the guy who's exasperated his back injury.

“Listen kid, I just got my house set on fire and now I’ve got a target on my back. Looks like someone’s already taken a swing at you and it’ll probably happen again. So, we’re either going to team up and maybe stand a chance, or we both die because of your attitude. Make a decision we don’t really have all night.” Baekhyun crossed his arms and Jongin stared him down. His prospects weren't all that great right now, and he was extremely worried about this blowing up in his face.

Jongin didn’t do well in groups, and did even worse under pressure. But Jongdae was probably out there, still looking for Jongin. And Jongin didn’t even know where to start.

“Fine. Lead the way.” Baekhyun nodded with a satisfied smirk.

“At least now I know you have sense. Let’s go find your brother rookie.” Baekhyun grinned. Jongin rolled his eyes.