Chapter Two

Jedi Rising

Baekhyun was a man of simple pleasures. In a world full of things that made him happy, why not enjoy them and seek them out? His teacher was always telling him to not be distracted, but Baekhyun couldn't seem to help himself some days. There were so many things he wanted and needed, but his limited funds made it difficult to live a life with all the things he wanted. And he wasn't exactly selfish either. He'd always been the type to seek justice where injustice was, and more than anything, Baekhyun valued the truth. Of course, now that he had known his teacher for almost two years he was sure that he could.

Baekhyun had recently discovered his force sensitive abilities and hadn’t quite mastered it, but his teacher called him a natural. He was still learning, but he picked it up quickly, not needing much guidance. He’d only very recently gotten hold of a standard issue lightsaber, which was currently his most prized possession. A product of his hard work, and a sign of his progress as a jedi. He’d even added an accessory to personalize it and to emphasize whenever he wielded it in his small and shady neighborhood. He’d become somewhat a figure of admiration in his neighborhood to the younger ones, and an point of envy for those his age. There were a few things that could get you out of this neighborhood. Opportunity and tragedy. Baekyun was luckily enough the former. Being force sensitive meant he could be a Jedi and that opened up doors. Byun Baekhyun the handsome and scrappy young force sensitive. Not a Jedi quite yet, but maybe someday.

Baekhyun was at the corner store, just to get some snacks for the rest of the night. He'd been out with friends earlier in the evening and was actually writing essays for his applications for financial aid but wanted something to snack on. He on a lollipop as he walked through the store. The man at the register watched him warily, but said nothing, probably because of his weapon which he brandished so proudly. His teacher would want his head for just twirling it this way.

He was just about to pick out something when his phone rang. He saw the number and fought the urge to complain.

“Hello?” he answered. The usually droll voice answered urgently.

“Listen Baekhyun I went to your house to give the address for the next pickup. Your place...it’s been trashed man. It’s been set on fire.” his contact said. Baekhyun, despite his beliefs in justice and truth did have some illegal business. Nothing major of course, just smuggling illegal goods.

Baekhyun froze in panic before continuing to speak with forced calm. Freaking out wouldn't help anything.

“Is my mother alright?"

“Yeah, but she thought you were in there. She asked me to look. Listen, I’m glad you weren’t in there, but that means someone is either sending a message, or you were meant to be in there," his contact responded. 

Baekhyun frowned. He usually didn’t visit the store in the middle of the night. Had he continued his usual routine he might have been in there. No, he would have, and he definitely would have died.

 Hot rage boiled beneath the surface of his skin and Baekhyun threw his phone, yelling as the phone splintered into several pieces. The man at the register flinched, but still said nothing, clearly too afraid to do anything about the ruckus. They were the only ones, but it still was probably not polite to yell like this. Baekhyun stormed to the drink section and yanked it open, pulling out a bottle of water. He chugged it angrily, trying to reign in his horrible temper. 

 It was his biggest downfall. Besides his need for things to indulge himself in, he had a temperament that was like oil and fire. But this wasn't just getting a few bad grades, or his friend breaking one of his old CDs. This was his home. He told his mom that he could move out and just send her money, but all of that time spent working overtime at the grocery store and working well into the morning, only to have it be destroyed.

He slid defeated down onto the door and sat there. What was he going to do? He’d left the house so his mom could have more money to spend that wasn’t going toward feeding and helping Baekhyun. It was the main reason he kept to this force thing! Either someone he owed money was really impatient, or someone had targeted him for unknown reasons. If it was the former, he could use his endless charm. If it was the latter...well improvisation was always an option.

Baekhyun meditated over the most likely reason when the bell over the door sounded out and Baekhyun heard the sounds of high heels steadily hitting the floor. The lights flickered and Baekhyun looked up as the store was bathed in red light.

The familiar figure of Jea walked over to him. She was dressed in colored jeans and towering heels and a leather tube top, with only a fur coat to keep her warm. Her dark hair was gathered in a high ponytail and she grinned at Baekhyun, her pearly whites and red painted lips making her look almost feral. Despite being several years older than Baekhyun, she was young looking and was notorious for having mastered the force in her hometown. His teacher and master. The woman was strange, dangerous, but she shared his views of the world. Maybe she could help.

"Master, what a lovely surprise. I wasn’t aware that you lived around here.” Baekhyun deadpanned. Jea stepped right in front of Baekhyun and scoffed at his disheveled appearance.

“Get up. I didn’t train a whiny pouty baby. I heard about your home. And I know who did it.” she said. Baekhyun snapped to attention and stood up, brushing off his pants. The man at the register was still there and Jea turned to him, raising a sculpted brow. Her posture was that of someone who commanded power but this guy really wasn't letting that stop his snark.

“Well? I’d like to speak privately with my student.” she said. The man shook his head and she rolled her eyes and lifted her hand. The door to the back room opened and she flicked her wrist. The man flew through, and with another flick the door closed and locked behind him. She turned back to Baekhyun with nary a concern over the man now screaming for them not to steal anything.

“I’ll let him out once we’re done.” she assured Baekhyun when she saw the discontented look on his face.

“Who did it Master?” Baekhyun demanded. Jea sighed and pursed her lips thoughtfully. She eyed him for several long moments before sighing in defeat.

“There’s a rising organization. They’re slowly taking over the underground. Drug dealers and the like, but they’re trained in the force. They’re dangerous Baekhyun and they’ve got their eyes on people like you. Young, impressionable, and a whole lot of potential. They’re going to lure you Baekhyun.” she warned, her eyes boring into Baekhyun’s. He closed his eyes. Baekhyun was familiar with the underground of Seoul as someone who used to take advantage of the less than honest ways to make money.

“Let me guess, they won’t take no for an answer?”

“No. I suspect that should you say no, they’ll be after you until you agree or die,” she said seriously.

“Well why aren’t they after you?”

“The effort of trying to kill me would be too much for them. And I would offer to protect you, but masters of the force all over the world are trying to meet and organize. For now though, all the ones in Korea are going to meet up and decide who to align ourselves with. I’d bring you but I doubt you’re ready.” she said, rubbing his head affectionately. Baekhyun swatted her hand away and she laughed good-naturedly.

“So what do I do about the organization?” he asked her trying to see if he could find her tells. She sighed again and raised her hands. Baekhyun stood up then, since plans were getting put together he could pull it together. He needed to.

“Fall off the radar. Actually I know someone who’s student could team up with you. He might need help too,” she murmured. She made the call and spoke to someone in whispered tones. She hung up and nodded.

“I have a someone for you to meet up with. A friend of mine has a student who might be in danger. He won't tell me anything but two names, though so you'll have to find the right people on your own. Meet him at the Aloft Seoul Gangnam tomorrow at seven pm. Ask for Kim Jongin. The other is a Kim Jongdae. Be careful Baekhyun, I’ve grown quite fond of you.” she smiled sadly and rested a hand on Baekhyun’s shoulder. 

He placed a hand on hers and nodded. Jea had essentially taken him off the streets and trained him, helping him find more honest ways to make money. She changed his life and now here she was, saving him again. She pulled out a folded envelope and handed it to him, shaking her head when he started to open it, glancing at the cameras. Later then.“Thank you. But my mom,” he began and Jea nodded seriously.

“I’ll watch over her through the force if I must, but I don't think she's in danger. Listen to your instincts. Remember your training. And try not to antagonize everyone you meet,” she said grinning. She turned and walked out of the store, lifting her hand up and wiggling her fingers, not even turning her head. The locked door opened and the man stumbled out, clearly having been leaning against it. She reached into her coat and pulled out a clip of money and tossed it at the man. Baekhyun's brow furrowed in confusion.

“How did you know about the money for the mess I made?”

Jea looked over her shoulder at Baekhyun.

“How else?” she walked out and Baekhyun saw her walk just out of view before he felt a small surge in the force. Instead of lingering he called his mom and asked how she was after reassuring her that he was alright. After a vague explanation, Baekhyun promised to see her tomorrow or the day after that.

“Baekhyun what’s going on?”

“Something. I’m still not completely sure yet. But you should be safe. I love you, okay?”

“I love you too Baekhyun. Be careful!” she said. Baekhyun hung up and left the store, remembering at the last minute to call his lightsaber.