Second

Take responsibility

6:45 AM [Saturday, the next next week]

 

Nayeon woke up to the sound of her phone ringing, she looked at the clock, 6:45 it read. Nayeon grabbed her phone and answered the call without bothering to look at the caller ID.

 

“Nayeon, where the hell are you? We’re leaving in 10 minutes!” Junhoe exclaimed. Nayeon placed her phone away from her ear, it was too early for her to hear Junhoe’s irritating voice.

 

“Why, what do you need me for?” Nayeon mumbled, sleep still evident in her voice.

 

“Nayeon, the outing. Remember?” He said and Nayeon’s eyes widened. She immediately sat up and started arranging her things. They were supposed to meet up at seven but Nayeon overslept.

 

“Oh I’m so sorry, I totally forgot.” Nayeon said and she could almost feel Junhoe rolling his eyes at her.

 

“Yeah, I figured that one out. Open the door.”

 

“What-- why?”

 

“Nayeon, just open the door.” He said and Nayeon groaned. She hurriedly went to her door and when she opened it, Junhoe was standing outside with a paper bag and a cup of coffee. He went inside and placed the coffee and bag on Nayeon’s kitchen counter.

 

“I got you pancakes since you probably won’t eat again. Now go take a bath I’ll be waiting.” He said, leaning on the wall.

 

“Aww, isn’t my bestfriend sweet?” Nayeon cooed, playfully pinching Junhoe’s cheeks which the younger tried to avoid.

 

“Just go take a bath, we’ll be late.”

 

“Alright, Mr. Grumpy pants.”

 


 

“So what’s the plan?” Nayeon asked. They were still inside Junhoe’s car, waiting for the right time before they enter his grandmother’s house or in which Junhoe’s just too nervous to go inside.

 

“What do you mean?” Junhoe replied, eyes looking forward. He was biting his lips, a habit he does when he’s nervous.

 

“Wow, you haven’t thought this through. What would you tell your grandmother when she asks how we “fell in love”? Nayeon said while putting air quotes. Junhoe didn’t seem to pay attention so Nayeon tried to say it again but was cut off when Junhoe spoke.

 

“Just go with it.”

 

“Wait, what?” Nayeon asked and Junhoe suddenly opened the car door and went outside, greeting his halmeoni with a big smile. Nayeon went out of the car and smiled,

 

“Halmeoni!” She shouted. Junhoe’s grandmother smiled, extending her arms out for a hug which Nayeon gladly accepted.

 

“Nayeon-ah, how are you?” She said.

 

“I missed you Halmeoni and I’m okay.” Nayeon said with a smile.

 

“So I heard about the news.” Halmeoni beamed and Nayeon let out a nervous giggle. Halmeoni led them inside the house and Nayeon saw Junhoe’s little cousins running around.

 

“Why didn’t you tell us sooner that you two were dating?” She beamed. Nayeon looked at Junhoe because she honestly doesn’t know what to do. Her mind blanked out and all she could do was smile.

 

“We’ve been busy Halmeoni, she is my assistant and the head interior designer. There’s a lot going on in the company so we weren’t able to tell.” Junhoe explained.

 

“You know you need to stop overworking yourself. Maybe Nayeon here can make you come out of your cave.” She said, smiling. Nayeon giggled but Junhoe just rolled his eyes.

 

“Halmeon, even if I try and drag him out of his office he wouldn’t budge.” Nayeon said and Halmeoni laughed before leaving the both of them in the living room.

 

Nayeon looked around the house, it was still the same house she used to visit during the summer when she had nothing productive to do. Nayeon had grown accustomed to going to Junhoe’s grandmother’s house whenever she has nothing to do or when she’s troubled. There’s a sense of comfort emitting from the house as well as Halmeoni’s words.

 

The sliding door going to the backyard came open as Junhoe’s nieces and nephews run around together with some of his cousins. Junhoe’s family had always been big unlike Nayeon’s who only consists of a family of five. A little boy suddenly came running into Nayeon, she heard someone shouting a “stop” before Nayeon lost her balance and fell first on the floor.

 

“Hey, are you alright?” Junhoe asked, reaching for Nayeon’s arms so she could stand up. Nayeon grimaced, her fell hard on the floor yet her stomach was the one in pain. Junhoe slowly helped her stood up as Nayeon clutched her stomach with one arm.

 

“I am so sorry, my son didn't mean to do that.” A lady said with a worried tone. Nayeon took a deep breathe before she stood up properly.

 

“Baby, you should apologize.” The lady told her son. Her son had his head down, aware of the thing he did but Nayeon wasn’t really mad and there was no need to apologize.

 

“No, it’s okay, he was playing.” Nayeon replied. She tried to smile to reassure her that it was okay but the pain on her stomach was getting worse and she doesn’t understand why.

 

“Are you sure you’re okay? You look like you’re in pain.” She said. Everyone was aware of the situation now, they were waiting for an answer but Nayeon doesn’t feel like talking. She feels worse already and she just wants to lie down, her stomach isn’t helping either.

 

“I-I’m----” Nayeon suddenly felt her vision spinning and she heard someone - probably Junhoe - yelling her name before she out.

 


 

When Nayeon woke up, she was in Junhoe’s room and she was alone. The pain in her stomach had vanished but she still felt weak, she slowly stood up and walked towards the door and when she opened it, she saw Junhoe, his sister Chaeyoung and the lady from earlier. Chaeyoung smiled at her when she saw her,

 

“Unnie! Are you feeling okay now?” She said, walking towards Nayeon for a hug. Chaeyoung is Junhoe’s younger sister and Nayeon treats her like one too. When Chaeyoung needs help, she would usually call Nayeon. When Junhoe isn’t around, Nayeon is Chaeyoung’s older overprotective sister.

 

“Yes, I’m okay.” Nayeon said, they walked towards the kitchen where the siblings were. The lady earlier smiled at her,

 

“I’m really sorry about my son earlier, he plays a bit recklessly. I’m Mina by the way, Yunhyeong’s wife.” The lady, Mina, said. Nayeon smiled, Mina was pretty, her hair falls just over her shoulders and Nayeon thinks she looks too young to be a mother. Nayeon had heard about her from Yunhyeong, Junhoe’s cousin. Yunhyeong had once mentioned that Mina was a professional ballet dancer and they had met at one of Mina’s recital and ever since, the two had hit it off, now married and have one son.

 

“You had a fever earlier, it’s a good thing it went down now.” Junhoe spoke, placing his hand on Nayeon’s forehead to check her temperature.

 

“You know I’ve always thought you two were made for each other.” Chaeyoung suddenly said with a dreamy sigh, elbows propped on the kitchen counter. Junhoe threw a chip at her,

 

“What was that for?!” Chaeyoung laughed, throwing a chip back at him.

 

“Stop saying things okay.”

 

“But it’s true, you two are together now.” Chaeyoung defended. They continuously threw chips at each other with Mina giggling at them. It was a nice sight to see, Junhoe had always been the serious one when it comes to the both of them and because Junhoe’s always busy, Nayeon doesn’t always see him bicker with Chaeyoung.

 

 

“Okay, don’t waste food. Stop it.” Nayeon said, smiling. She started cleaning the kitchen counter while the siblings were still teasing each other.

 

“OKAY WHAT DID WE MISS?” Nayeon looked up and heard someone yelling from the living room and when she checked who it was, it was Junhoe and Chaeyoung’s parents. Junhoe and Chaeyoung immediately went to greet them while Nayeon stayed back to clean the counter.

 

“Nayeon, come on. We’ll clean that later.” Mina said, smiling. Nayeon placed the wasted chips on the trash bin before following them to the living room.

 

They were loud but Nayeon was used to it. Junhoe’s nieces and nephews gather around Junhoe’s father as if they hadn’t seen him in ages. Junhoe’s father had always been a cheerful man, opposite of how Junhoe is but Nayeon knows Junhoe got his father’s humility and gentleness. It just takes time for Junhoe to show it.

 

“Nayeon! There you are, I missed you.” Junhoe’s mother exclaimed.

 

“I missed you too. How was vacation imo?” Nayeon asked, hugging Mrs. Goo.

 

“Oh you know, we went to the beach and then all of sudden there’s work.” Mrs. Goo said, stressing the last part and Junhoe’s father protested that it was an emergency and Nayeon laughed.

 

“Well, I’m glad you came home safely.” She said and Mrs. Goo smiled,

 

“My forever sweet Nayeon. Hey, you got to tell me all about you and June.” She exclaimed and Nayeon laughed.

 

“Mama, Nayeon imo fainted earlier.” Mina’s son, Changkyun, said and Mrs. Goo gasped, looking at Nayeon worriedly.

 

“Really? Did you take care of Imo?” Mrs. Goo said. Nayeon felt embarrassed, they didn’t need to know that but the kid is honest and she can’t possibly stop him for saying the truth.

 

“No, omma said not to disturb her.” Changkyun said, Nayeon cooed at his cuteness.

 

“Well, who knows maybe Nayeon imo here is pregnant.” Halmeoni mused and all of them looked at Halmeoni in shock, even Nayeon was taken aback. Junhoe gave her a knowing look and that’s when Nayeon remembered that she might be possibly pregnant already.

 

“Mom, stop saying those kind of things. Nayeon and Junhoe are still on their “honeymoon” phase.” Mrs. Goo said, laughing. Nayeon could feel her ears turning red.

 

“I’m just saying, who knows? It’s not impossible.” Halmeoni said.

 

“Alright, omma and halmeoni, that’s enough. Let’s just go out at the backyard so we can talk properly.” Junhoe said. Nayeon suddenly felt dizzy and weak again. Damn, weak immune system, she thought. She doesn’t even know if it’s out of worry or she’s just really sick, Junhoe did mention she had a fever earlier.

 

“Nayeon, are you okay?” Mrs. Goo asked but Nayeon couldn’t bring herself to answer. Her mind was occupied with thoughts of being pregnant. What if she needs to go to the hospital already? What would happen if she faints again? What would Junhoe’s family think? Junhoe’s going to be mad at her. Those are some of the things that’s pretty much pulling Nayeon into a panic attack.

 

“Nayeon, you need to breathe. Stay with me, hey.” Nayeon could see Junhoe already in front of her and he found his voice soothing but it still doesn’t change the fact that she’s really dizzy and she was having a panic attack.

 

“Hey baby, come on. Look at me, it’s okay, you’re okay. You need to breathe properly okay?” Nayeon tried listening to Junhoe’s voice, tried breathing properly but it wasn’t making her feel better. She didn’t even realize she was already crying until Junhoe wiped the tears falling.Nayeon suddenly clutched her stomach in pain,

 

“I-I’m sorry, I---” Nayeon said through ragged breaths.

 

“No, it’s okay. We’ll take you to the hospital okay?” Mrs. Goo said softly. Nayeon felt herself getting carried bridal style by Junhoe, she tried not to lose consciousness but it was becoming difficult to do so until Nayeon couldn’t take it anymore and she let darkness consume her.