One

Woebegone

 

chapter one 

 

28k6flk.jpg

   

Baekhyun looked at the dolls in front of him and let out a small smile.

 

"You're cute for a Cony.

 

Your new neighbour."

 

Baekhyun remembered when he’s 12, knocking on the door of his new neighbour's house only to be greeted by a tall handsome boy who happened to be the one who gave him the dolls. The boy's name was Park Chanyeol.

 

 

 


 

 

 

Baekhyun bit his lips as he tapped his feet patiently. He decided to go to his new neighbour’s house and greet him properly, and of course he wanted to thank the person who gave him the dolls. A moment later, the door was opened by a tall handsome boy who looked very surprised seeing Baekhyun in front of his house.

 

“Oh hey you- the doll guy.” The boy said.

 

“The doll guy?” Baekhyun smiled, feeling amused. “You call me that?”

 

“Um yeah.. I didn’t know your name and I gave the dolls to you.. and I thought I should just call you the doll guy.” He explained.

 

“My name’s Byun Baekhyun and you are…?”

 

“Park Chanyeol.” Chanyeol smiled. “It’s nice to meet you Baekhyun. I hope we can be friends.”

 

“You gave me the doll- that makes you my friend.” Baekhyun smiled. “Can I come in? I am currently alone now, my parents are away for a business trip.”

 

“Of course you can.” Chanyeol welcomed him in.

 

Baekhyun met Mr. and Mrs. Park. Both of them were very nice and treated Baekhyun well. They also thanked Baekhyun for befriending Baekhyun because Chanyeol wasn’t the best social butterfly and it’s very hard for him to make friends. Baekhyun wanted to tell them that Chanyeol was the one who initiate the friendship to bloom but he decided not to. He met Chanyeol’s sister, Yura and she was very pretty. Baekhyun had dinner with them and he was grateful that he met Chanyeol because for the first time in almost two years, this was the first time he had a dinner- a family dinner. His parents were always busy thus he always had dinner alone.

 

Baekhyun decided that it’s official to say that Chanyeol was his best friend.

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

Baekhyun remembered when he's 17, Chanyeol kissed him when they're celebrating Baekhyun's 17th birthday. Both Baekhyun and Chanyeol's parents were away on business trips thus the reason he found himself celebrating his own birthday alone with Chanyeol. He thought it's a sad thing that his parents were in Paris during his birthday but when Chanyeol confessed to him, he thought maybe it wasn't that bad.

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

“Happy Birthday!” Chanyeol clapped his hands excitedly. Baekhyun could only roll his eyes.

 

“Are you that happy that I am actually getting old?”

 

Chanyeol shook his head. “Of course not.”

 

“Whatever. Here we are again, celebrating my birthday without my parents.” Baekhyun sighed. “They don’t even call me to wish me or anything.”

 

“Hey don’t be sad. I’m sure they will call you sooner or later.” Chanyeol patted Baekhyun’s head. Baekhyun narrowed his eyes at him.

 

“Just because you’re taller than me, that doesn’t mean that you have any rights to pat my head without my permission Chanyeol. Do I need to remind you that I am the one who’s getting older today instead of you? I’m not a child anymore.” Baekhyun complained.

 

“Baekhyun please. You look like you’re 14.” Chanyeol deadpanned.

 

Baekhyun sighed because he knew that it’s no use in denying that. He looked like a kid.

 

“Let’s eat the cake.” Chanyeol smiled. “And I will give you presents after that.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun sat on the couch, waiting for Chanyeol who asked him to wait him because he needed to get Baekhyun’s presents. Baekhyun has always loved Chanyeol’s presents to him- more than the presents he got from his parents. Chanyeol always knew the right thing to get for him.

 

Always.

 

When Chanyeol entered the room, Baekhyun saw Chanyeol holding a small box. Chanyeol walked towards the couch and sat beside Baekhyun. Out of the blue, he pulled Baekhyun to sit on his lap.

 

“Chan- chanyeol… what is this?” Baekhyun stuttered because what the hell did Chanyeol just pulled him to sit on his lap?

 

“Listen to me and don’t say anything.” Chanyeol whispered. “Just listen okay?”

 

Baekhyun nodded slowly as he felt his heart beating faster than ever because Park Chanyeol had never acted like this before. Baekhyun jumped a bit when he felt Chanyeol wrapping his arms around his body and rested his chin on Baekhyun’s shoulder.

 

“Baekhyun, I know that maybe this act of mine will ruin our friendship but I just want you to know that everything about you is beautiful. Please stop thinking that you are lonely because I am here for you. Please don’t cry when people make fun of your face- they are just jealous because you’re more beautiful than them.”

 

Baekhyun stayed silent, trying to hold his tears. Yes, at school, the students always made fun of his appearance, his look. They called him a girl because of his small body and his face. They called him useless, telling him that his parents were always going on business trips because they had rather spent their time without Baekhyun. Even before he met Chanyeol, he had always received that kind of treatment from his schoolmates.

 

Baekhyun had no one to share about his feelings but when he befriended Chanyeol, Baekhyun told him everything and Chanyeol, being a good friend he was, he comforted Baekhyun until he stopped crying. Baekhyun was more than grateful that he met Chanyeol.

 

“Please smile and laugh more because that makes you more beautiful. Do you know how much it pains me to see you crying because of the treatment you get at school? Do you know how much I want to punch every single person who make fun of you? Do you know how much the girls at school annoy me because they keep on telling me to stop being your friend?”

 

Baekhyun shook his head.

 

When Chanyeol moved to his school, as a new student, he kept following Baekhyun 24/7. Baekhyun was happy that he finally had a friend but it saddened him to hear his new friend getting hates for being his friend. He remembered telling Chanyeol to stop being his friend and Chanyeol refused to do so. Baekhyun didn’t want to taint his reputation at school because for a new student, Chanyeol was already quite popular. Chanyeol told him that his reputation meant nothing and being with Baekhyun was far more important than his reputation at school. He remembered Chanyeol telling him that he would never leave Baekhyun and he promised him that.

 

“Do you know how much I want to protect you so that you will not cry again? Byun Baekhyun, I care for you so much- so much that even I can’t explain why I am feeling like this. I tried to seek the answer and now I finally know the reason.” Chanyeol paused. He took Baekhyun’s hands into his and held it tightly.

 

“Happy Birthday Byun Baekhyun, I love you.”

 

Chanyeol kissed him on the lips.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun rested his head on Chanyeol’s shoulder, a small smile could be seen on his lips.

 

“Chanyeol.. what’s in the small box?” he pointed at the small box beside Chanyeol, the box Chanyeol brought with him.

 

“Your present.” Chanyeol handed him the box. “From your parents.”

 

“My mom and dad?”

 

“Of course.” Chanyeol smiled. “Open it.”

 

Baekhyun opened the box and he saw Chanyeol’s phone.

 

“So apparently the present from my mom and dad is your phone?” he asked. “I thought you’re being serious?”

 

Chanyeol took his phone from Baekhyun’s hand and called Baekhyun’s parents.

 

“They told me to call them once I have told you my feelings.” Chanyeol explained. “If I call them, that means I succeed in making you mine.” Chanyeol handed him the phone. “Talk to them and told them I succeeded.”

 

“Hello Baekhyun?” Mrs. Byun called him. “Happy birthday honey. We are very sorry we can’t be there to celebrate with you. How’s thing going with Chanyeol?”

 

“Mom.. Dad, it’s the best birthday ever.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

He remembered when he's 19, Chanyeol told him that the first time he saw Baekhyun on Halloween, with the shorter dressing up as Cony, it was the first time Chanyeol found his heart beating faster than usual.

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

“Baekhyun, do you want to know why I gave you the dolls?” Chanyeol asked. Baekhyun was sitting on his lap while they’re watching a movie in Chanyeol’s room.

 

“Because you said I look cute wearing that?”

 

“Well, it is because of that… but..”

 

“But what?” Baekhyun asked. “Tell me.” Baekhyun said, dragging the ‘e’.

 

Chanyeol chuckled. “Okay fine. Stop being so cute.”

 

“When I first saw you, I felt my heart beating faster than usual but I didn’t know why… so I asked Yura. She smiled at me and told me to give you the dolls.”

 

“You told Yura about me? You indirectly told her that you like me since you’re 12.”

 

“I didn’t know that I actually liked you at that time. I was just 12. What do you expect?” Chanyeol defended himself.

 

“I was not expecting for my new neighbour, a tall handsome boy to give me cute dolls.” Baekhyun smiled, playing with Chanyeol’s fingers. “I should thank Yura later.”

 

“I should do the same too.” Chanyeol pecked Baekhyun’s lips. “If it’s not because of her, then I would not be here today. I would not have you sitting on my lap. I would not have the chance to confess to you either.”

 

“Okay stop with it lover boy. I know you love me.”

 

“I do. So so so so so much.” Chanyeol repeated. "So much."

 

Baekhyun blushed. “Chanyeol! Stop with it already!”

 

Chanyeol laughed. He’s really lucky to have Baekhyun in his life.

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

He remembered when he's 20, Chanyeol proposed to him and he said yes. Their wedding came a few months after that.

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

“I can’t believe you’re finally getting married.” Luhan said. “Both of you are 20 but I guess it won’t be a problem to you guys. Chanyeol’s a smart guy and your parents support you- not that I am saying my parents doesn’t support me with Sehun but wow I still can’t believe it. You’re ready to throw away your life and live with him forever.”

 

Baekhyun chuckled.

 

“Luhan, I’m not throwing away my life. I am getting married and live my life with Chanyeol.”

 

“I wonder if I will live my life with Sehun..” Luhan sighed. “He’s so handsome and all the girls like him.”

 

“Don’t worry Luhan. Sehun, he really loves you. I can see it in his eyes whenever he’s looking at you.” Baekhyun smiled. “Don’t feel insecure about it. He loves you.”

 

“Thanks.” Luhan grinned.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun could see Luhan and Sehun smiling at them. He saw both of his and Chanyeol’s parents smiling proudly at them. He saw Chanyeol standing in front of him, smiling as he looked into Baekhyun’s eyes.

 

The moment when both of them said ‘I do’, Baekhyun was more than feeling euphoric because finally, they’re living their life as one.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

He remembered when he's 21, mornings after mornings of vomiting, he found out that he's pregnant. Chanyeol was so happy to hear that. Through his nine months of pregnancy, Chanyeol was always there for him. After nine months, they got a cute baby girl. They named her Mina. Park Mina. When Chanyeol first held Mina in his arms, he told Baekhyun that they're the right one for him.

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

“Baekhyun are you okay?” Chanyeol asked worriedly. “You’ve been vomiting lately Baek. Are you sure you’re fine?”

 

Baekhyun coughed. “I am fine Chanyeol. It must be the food I ate last night.”

 

Chanyeol sat beside Baekhyun on the bed and held up his chin. “Baby, please, for me. Let’s meet the doctor this noon okay?”

 

“O-okay.” Baekhyun nodded before he hugged Chanyeol and fell to sleep.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Mr. Park and Mr. Park.” Yixing said, trying to stop himself from laughing. “Oh my god it’s weird calling you that.”

 

“Yixing, as a doctor I don’t think you should laugh at us, who happen to be your patient.” Chanyeol said. “And please, do call us with our names if you find that funny.”

 

“Okay chill.” Yixing said. “So from what I have gathered… hmmmmm…”

 

“Yixing just tell us already. Am I sick?” Baekhyun asked his friend. He turned to look at Chanyeol. “Chanyeol I told you not to bring me to Yixing.”

 

“He’s the only doctor I trust.” Chanyeol replied. “Well, he’s the only doctor I know. Sehun is still in training. He’s not a doctor yet. I can’t bring him to you.”

 

“Exactly.” Yixing spoke. “Both of you are my friend so please hear me out. First, congratulation you two. I can’t believe this.”

 

“For what?” Chanyeol asked.

 

“Baekhyun’s pregnant.” Yixing smiled. “You’ll be fathers soon.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Chanyeol..  should we keep the baby?” Baekhyun asked. “What if I won’t be a good father to her? What if I fail? What if something bad happe-"

 

Chanyeol kissed him.

 

“Don’t think too much.” Chanyeol said. “We’ll keep the baby and we will always help each other okay? We will help each other in being a pair of good parents. Trust me.” Chanyeol kissed Baekhyun’s forehead. “Thank you for everything Baekhyun. Thank you- for the baby. I love you.”

 

Baekhyun hugged Chanyeol.

 

“I love you too.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You’ve done great baby.” Chanyeol held his hand tightly and kissed his forehead. “Baekhyun, you’re amazing.”

 

Baekhyun let out a tired smile. He’s too tired to talk so he smiled and nodded. He has used all of his energy and he’s surprised that he’s still awake. He had expected himself to pass out. Suddenly, Yixing walked to them, a baby wrapped in a pink towel in his arms.

 

“It’s a girl.” Yixing smiled as he handed Chanyeol the baby. “What’s her name?”

 

“Mi-mina.” Baekhyun spoke. “Park Mina.”

 

Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun before turning to look at Yixing.

 

“We’ll name her Park Mina.”

 

Chanyeol couldn’t believe that he’s holding his daughter in his arms.

 

“Thank you Baekhyun. Both of you- Mina and you, you guys are the best thing in my life.” Chanyeol gave Mina to Baekhyun. “She looks just as cute as you.”

 

Baekhyun smiled, feeling something that he couldn’t describe but for sure it’s a good thing. He held Mina in his arms and kissed her nose.

 

“Park Mina.”

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

But when Baekhyun's 24, he thought maybe Mina and himself weren't the right one for Chanyeol. Because if they were, he would not found pictures of his husband with another woman kissing and having arms wrapped around each other. If they were, maybe he would not have to hear a 'Honey where are you?' from a contact called 'Seulbi' when he picked up his husband's phone whilst the other man was in shower.

 

 

 


 

 

“Mina, stay here for a while okay. Your dad’s phone is ringing and he’s in shower so I have to answer it.” Baekhyun told his three years old daughter. “I will be back soon.”

 

Baekhyun walked to his and Chanyeol’s room and heard Chanyeol’s phone ringing. Baekhyun answered the call.

 

“Honey where are you?” a woman voice asked.

 

Baekhyun stayed quiet.

 

Chanyeol’s cheating on him?

 

“Honey you promised me to meet me at 2! It’s already 2.30. Did your husband do something that you can’t even meet me?” the woman asked. “You told me that I’m much more special than him.”

 

The woman was much more special than Baekhyun, his own husband.

 

Baekhyun clenched his fist as he ended the call abruptly. Tears started to gather in his eyes, his breath was uneven. He walked to his bed and sat on it, tears streaming down on his cheeks as he cried silently. Shoulders hunched down as he wiped his tears, but the tears wouldn’t stop.

 

Chanyeol’s cheating behind him with another woman who was much more special than him and he told Baekhyun that Baekhyun and Mina were the best thing in his life.

 

When Chanyeol stepped out from the shower, fully dressed, he didn’t expect to see Baekhyun crying on the bed, holding his phone.

 

“Baby?” he called Baekhyun.

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

After more than ten years being with each other, Baekhyun didn't expect Chanyeol to tell him that he had another woman. He didn't expect Chanyeol to tell him that he didn't love Baekhyun anymore.

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

“Baby?”

 

“Don’t call me that.” Baekhyun sobbed. “Don’t call me baby if you’re cheating behind my back with a woman named Seulbi.”

 

Chanyeol took a deep breath as he walked towards Baekhyun.

 

“Baekhyun-“

 

“Don’t come near me. Don’t you dare to touch me.” Baekhyun replied. He threw Chanyeol’s phone on the other side of the bed and looked at Chanyeol.

 

"Chanyeol... is it true?"

 

"Baekhyun I'm sorry. I just don't love you anymore." Chanyeol told him.

 

'I just don't love you anymore'

 

"How long have you.." Baekhyun asked, unable to finish the painful sentence.

 

"9 months." Chanyeol muttered.

 

"So after all this time, when I was taking care of Mina at home, cleaning the house, cooking breakfast, lunch and dinner- you spend your time with that woman? I sacrifice my study so that you will be able to continue with your study and I will take the responsible of taking care of her because you're a smart guy and I know you have your own dreams but this? Cheating behind my back- how- how could you." Baekhyun took a deep breath. "Why? Is it because I am not as attractive as I used to be? Is it because- did I change Chanyeol? Chanyeol, please tell me why." Baekhyun begged.

 

"I don't know when did this happen Baekhyun... it just happened." Chanyeol looked away. "You never change Baekhyun. You're still the boy I know.. My feelings- they're the one who change."

 

"What about Mina?"

 

"I will let you have her. I know how much you love her-"

 

"Are you saying that you don't?" Baekhyun snapped. He wiped his tears. “You once told me that Mina and I are the best thing in your life and- and you’re cheating behind my back? How could you Park Chanyeol. After more than a decade we know each other, you’re-you're going to leave me? Our friendship, our memories together- your confession, our first kiss, you proposing to me, our wedding, Mina, you’re going to throw that away? You’re going to leave me? The dolls- they’re nothing to you now am I right?”

 

"No Baek, don't misunderstand me. I know I'm being an right now and I'm ruining your happiness. You once told me that Mina is your happiness and I don't want to take it too."

 

Baekhyun sighed as he tried to hold back his tears- again.

 

"It's okay... People change. People can fell out of love too." Baekhyun said out of the blue. “I- I am sorry. I am not in the place to control you.” He said quietly.

 

"Baekhyun, I'm sorry."

 

"Well sorry can change nothing." Baekhyun sighed. "Chanyeol.. please, can you promise me one thing?"

 

Chanyeol looked at him.

 

"People fell out of love. You did but I won't. Just because you did this, it doesn't mean I'll stop loving you. I don't want you to be stuck with me forever, you deserve to be with the person you love."

 

"Baekhyun-"

 

"Clearly I am not enough. Mina and I are not enough.” Baekhyun spoke.

 

Chanyeol stayed quiet.

 

"About Mina.. I'm sure she's too young to remember that she actually has another father once she's old enough to remember things." Baekhyun told him.

 

Chanyeol felt sad by the fact that her daughter wouldn't even remember him when she's all grown up. Chanyeol could sense that Baekhyun was still holding back his tears.

 

"Chanyeol before you left can you.. kiss me for the last time?"

 

Chanyeol kissed him. It was soft and gentle but Chanyeol stopped doing so when he felt something wet on his cheeks.

 

Baekhyun was crying silently. Chanyeol hated himself. He hated how he's the reason for the tears.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Before he left, he placed a kiss on Mina's cheeks and forehead, taking his time looking at his daughter.

 

"I'm sorry." he whispered. "Take care of daddy when I'm gone okay?"

 

When he's at the front door, ready to leave, Baekhyun asked him.

 

"Are you going to divorce me?" Baekhyun asked quietly.

 

"Do you want to?"

 

"In all honesty, I don't want to. But it's up to you. Whatever comes in my way, I'll just sign it for you." Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol. His eyes were red.

 

"Okay." Chanyeol said. "I'll think about it."

 

“Chanyeol.”

 

“Hmm?” Chanyeol said. It pained him so much to see Baekhyun in such state.

 

“I’ll miss you and I love you. I hope you will do fine out there.” Baekhyun hugged Chanyeol for the last time.

 

Chanyeol felt wetness on his shirt- Baekhyun’s crying again. He let Baekhyun cried on his chest, in his hug- for the last time.

 

“I’m sorry.” Chanyeol spoke.

 

“Don’t be.” Baekhyun whispered. “You deserve to be with the person you love.”

 

‘You love me but look what I am doing to you.’ Chanyeol thought.

 

“Goodbye Chanyeol.” Baekhyun stepped back and wiped his tears. “Good luck.” he said. He had to be the matured one here, he's older than Chanyeol anyway. He had to be strong for Mina, for himself.

 

“Goodbye.. Byun Baekhyun.” With that, he walked away from his house, their house. He walked away from Baekhyun, his husband and Mina, his daughter.

 

He walked away and he had no intention for turning back.

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

"Daddy? Daddy?" it was Mina's voice that woke him up from his past.

 

"Yes baby why are you calling me?" he pulled Mina to sit on his lap.

 

"You're staring at the dolls again." his daughter said. "Why?"

 

Baekhyun chuckled. Mina was now 6 and Baekhyun's 27.  Baekhyun was glad the little girl remembered nothing about Chanyeol because it's still a sensitive topic for him. After Chanyeol left three years ago, he never come to visit them.

 

"It's because these dolls remind me of someone. These dolls remind me that besides you and your brother, there's someone out there who once loved me. But sadly, he's not here with me anymore."

 

The cries of a boy interrupted them and Baekhyun's conversation with his daughter ended like that.

 

"Your brother is crying. Let's go to him okay?"

 

His soon to be 3 years old son was another thing that reminded him of Chanyeol too.

 

Chanyeol had left him for three years.

 

Baekhyun didn't plan on telling Chanyeol about their other child. He didn't plan to tell Chanyeol that he found out that he was pregnant a day after Chanyeol left.

 

He didn’t plan on telling Chanyeol anything….. yet.

 

 

 

28k6flk.jpg

 58 subs already omg

By the way I hope you enjoy this update! I am sorry for the grammatical errors since English isn't my first language but I will try my best.

What do you guys think of this update? 

( I can't promise you guys a fast update because school is starting soon and I can't use the laptop as much as I want :/ )

 

Comments and upvotes will be very appreciated !

Chapter layout is from loverush layouts !