one.

Facade

“For today’s class, we will be playing dodgeball!” The gym teacher said enthusiastically. I had long forgotten what her name was. After all, Taehyung and I change school every three months. It’s never good to get attached to anyone. However, sometimes, I really wished I have friends other than Taehyung. “Ashlee and Hyunbin, you two can choose your groups!” She continued in her sickeningly high pitched voice.

 

At that, I rolled my eyes. In this school, I was always the last to get chosen at everything. Everyone thought that I am some shy, quiet girl who can be easily bullied, but seriously? No one knows the real me. In my previous school in Busan, I was the most popular girl. And in the school in Incheon, everyone hated me, because I acted as a . There are only three people in this world that knows the real me.

 

“Seorin,” Ashlee said my name angrily. I do not need to look around to know that as usual, I am the last one left. I see Taehyung shoot me a sad look, and I just smile. Honestly, at first it was a hard change, but now I’m just immune to it.

 

The game only lasted for about five minutes before there was only one person left on the opponent's team and two people left in mine, including myself.

 

The remaning opponent, probably thinking that I was an easy target, threw a ball towards me and I easily dodged it. Those amount of hard work and effort put in immense training has proved to be useful.

 

I was so deep in my thoughts and daydreams that I did not sense a ball heading towards me. However, right as I hit the ground, I caught a glimpse of Ashlee snickering. What the heck? We are in the same team! Are you jealous of me or what?

I fell down dramatically and rubbed my head, even though that ball didn’t hurt at all, to keep up my ‘easily bullied’ image. From the corner of my eye, I could see Taehyung quickly turning his head away to prevent himself from laughing.

“Oh my gosh, I am so sorry, I did that by accident!” Ashlee rushed over and offered a hand to me so that she could pull me up. Fake .

 

This wasn't the first time that she had done something like this, and I really couldn't stand it anymore. Yes, it was normal for the 'queen' of the school to bully someone of a 'lower rank', but really, she was too extreme. I don't even want to mention what she has done to me over the past months. Thank god I'm leaving this school soon.

 

I grabbed her hand and pulled myself up from the ground. “You know, I would watch my kitchen tonight, if I were you. Don’t want it burning down,” I whispered.

 

As soon as those words left my mouth, I immediately regretted it. Damn, now people would think, no, know that I am the arsonist. I always talk before I think, which . The fact that I have a really really bad temper makes it even worse.

 

Ashlee gave me a really shocked look, before excusing herself from the game. Of course she would be shocked. The girl who said basically nothing these past two months while being bullied, had finally talked, and it was a threat. Good job, Park Sera!

 


“So, what did you tell Ashlee when during dodgeball? The rumours are spreading like crazy, people are saying that you are the one who have been burning houses and stealing things!” Taehyung asked, amused.

“Come on Tae, I just entered the house, at least let me put my bag down,” I sighed and threw my bag behind me. Really, this couldn’t be considered a house. It was just an abandoned warehouse, but we are saving the money for when we move to Seoul, so I just have to put up with this. “I told her to watch the kitchen, but I didn’t mean to, it just slipped.”

“Seriously, why do you always talk before you think? Anyway, we are leaving this place today, so it doesn’t matter,” Taehyung shrugged and the stolen television. “I am going to miss this place.” He sighed dramatically.

 

I took off my fake glasses. “Of course you are, you are the king of this school, while I got stuck acting as the bullied kid!”

 

“Aww, Sera, don’t complain, you were the most popular kid in Daegu, while I was the emo loser,” He casually replied and threw the soda can somewhere.

 

“You do know that there’s a trash bin here, right?” I asked, sitting down on a nearby chair. He nodded, “Yes, but I am too lazy.”

 

I rolled my eyes. “Anyway, what do you mean by leaving today? I thought we were leaving next month.” Taehyung nodded more vigorously.

 

“We were, but Luhan said that we had a very important mission in Seoul, so we are leaving at midnight and burning down Ashlee’s house at 8. I forgot to tell you.”

 

I have two uncles. Xiumin, and Luhan. They are not technically my uncles, but none of us actually care. Both mine and Taehyung’s parents died in a gang fight when we were 3, and told the both of them to take care of us. They must have misinterpreted the words ‘take care’, because they started training us in various aspects of crime instead of bringing us up like normal kids. Not that I mind.

 

I sighed and grabbed a dark brown hair dye, while Taehyung grabbed a green one. I raised an eyebrow at him, and he just smiled back mischievously. Everytime we moved locations, we had to make up a fake name, act as another personality, and change our appearance and hair colour. It was really, really tedious, but we both know that it was necessary to get the police off our tail. Goodbye, red hair, it was nice having you.

 


“I still think your hair looks like seaweed,” I stated. Taehyung laughed and flipped a finger at me. He had dyed the tip of his black hair green, so now it just looks like seaweed. Honestly, it looks good on him, but I would never tell him that. His ego is already too big.

“Whatever, Sera, I know I look great. Remember the plan,” He grinned at me. I raised an eyebrow. Out of the two of us, Taehyung has forgotten a plan 29 times while I had forgotten a plan 5 times. Yes, I counted. Really, Tae?

“Well, here’s Ashlee’s house. I’m going in now,” Taehyung passed a gigantic bag to me and I heaved it onto my shoulder. I had wanted to carry the bag, but Taehyung had insisted taking it for me. To others, we just look like any other normal teenager, but only we know that the bag contained gasoline.

 

I hid in some bushes and watched as Taehyung knocked on Ashlee’s house door, which opened straight away. Well, looks like she didn’t take my threat seriously. Okay then.

 

I counted to sixty in my head, and by then, Taehyung had already entered Ashlee’s house, talking about something excitedly. If our plan was working, he would be heading towards Ashlee’s bedroom to borrow something.

 

I quickly came out from my spot and moved to the back door, which was connected to the kitchen. After making sure that no one was nearby, I skilfully picked the lock and entered her house. Wow, it was big.

 

I opened the windows in the kitchen, and the living room, so that the fire would have a good air supply. I recalled what Xiumin had taught me about arson, and mentally ticked off the ‘to-do’ list in my head.

 

Wear gloves. Douse the house from the lower floors first, hitting the furniture, then the walls. I didn’t know whether that was enough to burn the entire house down, so I poured some gasoline on the stairs, just in case.

 

I hid in a kitchen cabinet and waited for Taehyung to come down. If the plan works accordingly, he would have now locked Ashlee in her own room, and found the diamond that was worth a fortune.

 

Spotting Taehyung coming down, I hurriedly jumped out and took a few matches out of my pocket. Taehyung would have already unlocked Ashlee’s bedroom. We were criminals, not murderers, and we were giving her a chance to escape from the inferno that would happen in a few seconds.

 

I quickly lit the matches and threw it on the kitchen floor, and watched as the fire slowly spreaded, fascinated. There was just something so… amusing about watching fire devouring everything in its path, and the sparks jumping around.

“Sera, what the heck are you thinking about? We need to go!” Taehyung hissed and dragged me out of the door and onto the streets, just as Ashlee came running down the stairs, screaming hysterically.

We hurried into the main road from the back door, and tried our best to blend in with the rapidly forming crowd before quietly slipping away into the shadows.

One more city down. Here we come, Seoul.