Words Can Hurt

A Coincidence (SHINee FanFic)

Key patted the seat beside him, encouraging you to sit next to him on the coach. You yawned as you sat down.  

"Hey, I told you that I would always be here to talk with you, so, let's talk! I want to know what's going on inside your mind," Key said.

"Nothing much is going on inside my mind," You yawned again, covering your mouth with your hand.

"Oh, come on! At least tell me what happened last night! I don't want to miss out on anything!" Key whined, persuading you.

"Fine..." You gave in. As you recounted the events of last night, Key listened intently to your every word. Once you had finished, he said nothing until you prompted him. "So?" You asked.

"I wish I was invited.. sounds like you had fun without us," He huffed.

"Yah!! You wouldn't have been able to come anyway! You had dance practice!" You reminded him. He rolled his eyes at you, as you looked out of the window to see the concert hall in the distance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rehearsal was running surprisingly smoothly. So far, no one had made any mistakes, vocally or choreography wise, which was astonishing. You were watching EXO get ready to rehearse, when Youngjae rushed up to you.

"Would you mind grabbing my guitar from the JYP room? Park Jin Young wants to talk to me for a couple of minutes. I'll be back before you start," He asked politely. It was clear that he was nervous about talking to the head of his company, and you, of all people, understood how that felt.

"Of course! Good luck!" You smiled.

He thanked you, and half walked, half ran, to see Park Jin Young. You chuckled at how anxious he looked. You were sure that he would be fine. You went to the JYP room and knocked on the door. Maybe you weren't heard, but you didn't want to intrude, so you waited a few more seconds. You could hear voices inside, some laughing, some talking, and some singing. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It's sooo dark here, blah blah, thinking of the future, is there one to commmee," Jihyo wailed, laughing and waving her arms around wildly. She was pleased to get a few smiles and chuckles back, in reaction. She was about to start up again, when someone spoke up.

"That's not nice! Her song doesn't deserve to be sung like that!" Tzuyu said.

"I'm just singing it the way she does!" Jihyo replied sharply.

"You know she sings it better than that.." Sana said, rolling her eyes.

"Well, she's not that good, it would be impossible with so little training..." Jihyo sighed.

"Do you not like (y/n), or something?" Tzuyu asked.

"No, I don't like people who are fake, and I certainly don't like s," Jihyo remarked coldly, shrugging her shoulders. Everyone in the JYP room stooped what they were doing, even GOT7 started to pay attention.

"Yah, Jihyo, take a chill pill," Jackson told her.

"Well, she is! There are no articles about her, unless another famous person she's rumoured to be dating, is in it too!"

"Why do you have to be so mean?" Mark asked, angry and shocked.

Then the door opened.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You couldn't take any more of this. You thought that Jihyo was your friend. Obviously that was too good to be true.. Part of you wanted to punch her, part of you was humiliated, and part of you wanted to leave and go cry in a corner.

You successfully managed to avoid all eye contact, by keeping your gaze fixed on the guitar you spotted in the corner of the room. The things you did for Youngjae.. After grabbing it, you exited quickly, but of course, to embarrass yourself even further, you accidentally tripped over your shoelaces. You sighed shakily, and saw Mark offer you a hand up, which you meekly accepted. You broke the hanging silence in the room by thanking him quietly, before rushing back to the stage.

You were out of breath, upset, and holding a stupid guitar which took too much effort to get. EXO were over halfway through their rehearsal now, so you had a little time to compose yourself. You were watching from the left wing of the stage, when Kai started walking over to you, instead of doing his choreography. You motioned for him to go finish the performance, and stop disrupting the dance, but he shook his head at you stubbornly.

"What's wrong? Why are you sad?" He asked.

"What the hell are you doing!?!? You can't walk off mid rehearsal to have a chat! Lee Soo-man will go crazy!" You shouted at him.

"I'd be more worried about Suho's reaction... But this is an important chat! So, tell me what happened!" Kai demanded.

"It's just that.. someone said that... Do you think that I'm a ?" You asked, sniffling.

"What?!! Of course not! Did someone call you that?"

"Yeah.." You sighed, looking up at the ceiling, in hope that your tears wouldn't fall.

"Who? I'll..I'll....hit them!"

"No you won't!" You giggled.

"Aishh, but really, who said that to you?" He asked more seriously.

"..Jihyo. But please let me sort it out by myself first. Don't intervene, even though I know you want to!" You told him.

"Fine, just know that she's wrong," He said kindly, before going back onto the stage.

He was right about Suho. He didn't seem very happy at all with Kai's little 'detour' and his improvised choreography. They had to restart the song because of him. Despite the hassle he got from his band mates, Kai still managed to keep a smile on his face. Whether it was fake or not, you didn't know, but it was sure convincing. Soon enough Youngjae returned, taking the guitar from your hands.

"Thanks for getting this for me,"

"No problem. So what did Park Jin Young want to talk to you about?" You asked, quickly changing the subject.

"He wants me to release a solo album!!" He grinned. You could tell that he was holding back his excitement.

"Congratulations!" You smiled, giving him a high five.

"Thanks.. I don't know if it'll be too much to handle, with GOT7 as well.." He chuckled sheepishly.

"You'll find a way to manage," You reassured him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You and Youngjae were a great team up on the stage. All three heads of the companies clapped once you had finished, along with screams from Jiyong, Taeyang, Jonghyun, Key, Sunny, BamBam and Tzuyu. It made you feel much better about the whole day.

After talking to them, you went to take off your make-up in the bathroom. Although you knew that your make-up artist would have to put it on again later, you couldn't stand how clingy it felt on your face. As you were walking into the bathroom, Jihyo was walking out, and you bumped into each other. Jiyho looked flustered, and mumbled something. This was your chance to talk things out. No one was around.

"Umm, Jihyo?" You called out to her as she was walking away.

"What?" She snapped, whirling around to face you.

"Have I done something to upset you? Because, if I have, I'm sorry," You told her calmly.

"That's the worst part..you've done nothing wrong to me," She sighed, looking at the floor.

"Then what is it?"

"You just seem to do things so perfectly.. and effortlessly, and it's impressive... I just wish I was able to debut as quickly as you have.." She trailed off aimlessly. You nodded in understanding, taking in and processing her words. She sighed frustratedly.

"Look, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said anything about it, I was only being selfish and.." She sighed once again.

"Jealous?" You asked tentatively.

"Yeah, I guess so," She shook her head, ashamed of her behaviour. "And, you're not a ," She mumbled shamefully.

"What?"

"I know you heard me, and you're not a .. It was the only think I could think of that might have hurt your feelings,"

You felt somewhat relieved after Jihyo told you that. "Don't be jealous of me, you deserved to debut more than I ever did.. I was incredibly lucky," You scoffed.

"Don't say that.. you have talent too," She assured you.

"See you later Jihyo," You sighed.

You waved goodbye, heading into the bathroom, as she walked away.