Heart to Heart

Midnight Circus

12: Heart to Heart


      The Hypercube training reached an end as many other people all crawled out of the boxes either mentally or physically hurt. 

Suzy smiled as Irene and Myungsoo waited for her and Zico near the bikes. It had never felt so good to have someone waiting for her after a hard day; a real hard one. 

"Zico got hurt?" Irene blinked twice as she watched Suzy support Zico with her arms. 

"Must have been fractals," Myungsoo shrugged. "He's always been weak against those."

Myungsoo took Zico from Suzy and loaded him on the back seat of his bike, cycling off first. 

"How was it?" Irene asked as the two slowly cycled back to their dorms. 

"It was the longest time of my life," Suzy shrilled as she sighed. 

"I'm really surprised that bastard got injured," Irene said in fascination. "He's known for having a steel heart."

"Really?"

Suzy asked as she thought of Zico's heartbeat.

"Last time Zico went in the cube, all the other districts were complaining about how he half killed their kids." Irene laughed as she cycled along the rocky floor. 

"I don't think that changed very much this time," Suzy laughed.

 

     Suzy walked into the common room with Irene and saw everyone gathered around the room that Myungsoo took Zico in to do emergency treatment on. They all look surprised as Myungsoo brought out a large first aid kit and began dabbing things onto it, slapping him in the arm as he hissed and tried to push Myungsoo away.

"The legendary Zico got injured," Mingyu snorted as Zico threw a cushion at him.

"What happened..?" Jieun asked as she took a seat next to Suzy.

"There was a small fractal and uh," Suzy hesitated. "He was covering over me so I wouldn't get hurt."

Suzy looked up and saw the entire group staring at Suzy in utter shock at what she had said.

"Zico?" Krystal blinked. "Protect?" 

"Y..eah?"

"You must be delirious," Krystal snorted. "Zico doesn't protect people, especially someone like you." 

"That's not true," Suzy said firmly. "If it wasn't for him I wouldn't even be here."

"You act like you know everything about him," Krystal scoffed.

"No I'm just-"

"It's because of you Seyoung died." Krystal stood up and walked past Suzy, pushing her with her shoulders.

 

"Don't worry about her," Jungyeon sighed. "She's just annoyed you're next to Zico all the time."

"What?"

"She's had this huge crush on him ever since she got here."

"Oh.."

 

Everyone went silent as Zico burst out of the room and walked up to the rooftop, slamming the door right behind him.

Myungsoo walked out right after, slightly limping as he scowled.

"What happened?" Saeron asked, staring at his leg.

"I'd rather tame a lion than train that bastard," Myungsoo muttered as he limped into the leader's room, slowly closing the door behind him.

 

 

Suzy got up and slowly walked upstairs to the rooftop. 

She saw Zico sitting infront of a barrel fire pit, looking up at the sky. 

Suzy silent walked up to him and took a seat beside him, looking up at the starry night. 

"Sometimes it feels like the real sky," Suzy said. "That ceiling they made."

"Thanks for ruining the only thing that cheers me up," Zico sighed and rolled his eyes.

"I forgot to say earlier," she looked into his eyes. "Thank you."

"At least you know you're thankful."

"When you covered over me to protect me, I could hear your heartbeat pounding so hard and I could just feel how afraid you were. But despite that, you still protected me."

"You really like to package your words don't you?"

"I'm just grateful," she smiled and punched his arm lightly. "I've been feeling unsafe ever since I got here."

Zico grinned a little and looked up at the sky, staring at the stars.

"Hey you smiled," Suzy laughed.

"No I didn't," he stuttered, keeping a straight face. 

"Yes you did,"

"Did not."

"You should smile more often," she said gingerly. "Looks good on you."

"What's there to smile about in this place?" he exhaled heavily. "People are coming and going all the time; nothing's permanent here."

Suzy bit her lips, unsure of what to say. 

"It's better to not to make any friends here," Zico said firmly. "Those people won't last."

"But you lasted."

"What are you saying," he raised an eyebrow and cringed.

"Myungsoo and Irene said you came back alive everytime," Suzy smiled. "If you and I become friends, I won't have to worry about losing anyone."

"But I'd lose another friend." He stared at her. 

"You never know-"

     "Seyoung was the strongest girl in our district," he said quietly. "She'd been nominated the most in the games. She came back alive every single time. She was so strong and capable that even Myungsoo and Irene trained under her. Despite not being a leader, she took control of almost all training days because that's how capable she was."

He looked into her eyes.

"But now she's.. gone."

Suzy went silent.

"I'm not Seyoung but.. I can become your friend. When you're having a hard time, you can lean on me. It's been lonely.. without friends. Isn't it?"

"So?"

"If you.. become my friend, I'll be there for you."

Zico stared at her eyes; those eyes that reminded him of Seyoung so much. 

 

"Suzy?" A familiar voice boomed from behind as Joohyun appeared from the door.

"Joohyuk," Suzy stood up, surprised.

He walked towards her and then stared down at Zico who glared back at him.

"I was looking for you," he smiled and gently tucked her hair behind her ears. "There's so much I have to tell you."

Joohyun said as he held her hand, slowly taking Suzy away.

Zico stood up abruptly and kicked his chair over, catching the attention of Suzy and Joohyuk.

He walked over to the two and grabbed Suzy's wrist, pulling her back to the fireside.

"What are you doing?" Joohyuk asked, staring at Zico.

"I don't know if you realized or not, but we were talking." 

"I'm not letting her talk to a hooligan who beats up other guys." Joohyuk said as he pulled her away.

"I'm not a hooligan," Zico pulled her back. "I'm her friend."

Suzy glanced at Zico, surprised. 

Joohyuk glanced at Suzy. "Is he really?"

Suzy nodded quietly, glancing at Zico who glared at Joohyuk.

"Uh, sorry then." Joohyuk said in annoyance. "I'll uh.. talk to you tomorrow then Suzy." He said awkwardly and walked out of the rooftop.

 

Suzy glanced at Zico who averted her eye contact.

 

"I'll do it," Zico said as he looked into her eyes.

"What?"

"Friends." 

 

Beneath those monolids that pushed everyone away, she saw the Taewoon that desperately needed someone beside him.