Kookie Jar of Hearts Chapter 7

Kookie Jar of Hearts

A/N: Hey everyone!!!! Sorry this was a week late but due to Thanksgiving Holiday here in the States the following busy weekend at work, and me being sick I took a week off. But now I am back on schedule! I hope you all like it!

Much Love,

S.

 

Jungkook's POV:

I sat in Yoongi Hyungs's studio tapping impatiently on the desk as I waited for a reply from MyungHee. I was anxious. I had spent all day busy with schedules and somewhere between one thing and the other my phone had died. The guys had hounded me all day, pushing me harder than normal. I couldn't exactly blame them. My head wasn't exactly in the right place. MyungHee was constantly on my mind, as were Jin Hyung's words from the night before. But every time I had thought about it, I came to the same conclusion. I was not willing to waste what time I had with her.

I jumped as my phone pinged from the desk. It was MyungHee

M: About what?

The tone was obvious. She wasn't happy. I reread my message and I instantly berated myself for my choice of words.

J: About us. Can we talk in person?

I felt my heart pick up as I waited for her answer. I didn't want to wait to talk to her. I had waited all day. I was going crazy. I just wanted her to know where I stand. I wanted to make sure we were on the same page. Her reply came quickly and it wasn't what I was expecting.

M: I can't leave the house...

I frowned at her words. I forgot her grandparents had gotten upset about how late she was out. Then I smiled again. I could go to her. It wasn't perfect but it would have to do.

J: I can come to you...If that's ok... I really need to talk to you...

M: That's fine. I guess we can talk in the gardens. I won't technically be leaving the property.

J: Sounds good. See you in about half an hour.

I beamed as I grabbed my jacket and my keys and headed out the door. It had only been twenty-four hours since I had seen her but, gosh, I missed her.

Melody's POV:

I stared at my phone completely dumbfounded. My mind was reeling. I should have known that everything that happened the day before was too good to be true. He really was just like any other guy. I can't believe that I had fallen for his words. How stupid did I have to be to not see right through them. I had seen my friends have heartbreak after heartbreak and I vowed to never be the person to fall for petty lies. But there it was, plain as day. Those four words that always led to the demise of relationships throughout history. “We need to talk” which was of course followed by, “About us.” At least he had the decency to come and say it to my face.

Who was I kidding. I came here to be punished for my bad decisions. It only made sense that the world would play a cruel joke and make my punishment even worse. I should have just stayed in my grandparent’s mansion or followed them around to work, making no trouble and being a good little prisoner. Instead I had to be me, daring and gullible.

I fought back angry tears as I changed out of my pajamas and into regular clothes. I slipped down the stairs and out the front door sitting on the front steps. My mind was still in a million different places. Most of my thoughts were of how much I did not want to see his face right now. How I couldn't bear to see his smile or his dark chocolate eyes.

I heard the car stop in the circle drive. I didn't look up. I simply stood and waited for the car door. Seconds later the sound of his car door opening and shutting reached my ears and I started walking toward the gardens. I didn't even wait for him to get to me. I heard him jogging after me but I didn't turn around.

“MyungHee!” His voice sounded as I reached the gardens. My steps faltered but I continued walking. A few strides later his hand closed around my arm, gently stopping me. He tried to turn me around but I pulled my arm out of his grasp. “Melody, would you look at me please.” His voice sounded agitated but concerned.

“I don't want my grandparents to hear us and wake up.” I said as I started walking again. “Just a little bit further.” My voice was clipped. I knew how I sounded but to be quite frank I didn't care. I was hurt and anxious to get this conversation over with. He didn't respond but I heard him following me.

I reached my destination and stopped. Jungkook's steps ceased in turn. His voice came first.

“Will you look at me now?” His voice now carried an edge I had come to expect. I slowly turned to face him. I looked up at his face finally and almost regretted it instantly. Confusion was plastered across his face. He went to speak again but I stopped him.

“I don't know what you are going to say. But if you are about to break my heart make it a clean break. I don't have time for sugar coated nonsense.” I tried my hardest to keep my voice from breaking.

“Are you kidding me?” He was now most definitely angry. “Did you not hear a single thing I said to you yesterday?”

“People say a lot of things they don't mean.” I shot back my skin prickling from anger.

“Really, Melody? You are going to jump to conclusions and not letting me explain anything! Again?!” His voice rose in frustration.

“Of course! Once again it's my fault! It’s never you! How can I not jump to conclusions? It was plain and written out by your own hand!” I started to shake.

“All I said was I wanted to talk to you and I wanted it to be in person! That could be a million different things but of course in the world of Lee MyungHee that must mean it’s gonna be something bad. God forbid the world give you a reason to be happy!” He snapped. I stumbled back shocked at his words. Hot angry tears streamed down my cheeks. I snapped my face up to look at him.

“I have never given the world a reason to let me be happy. So why would it?” My voice wasn't loud but it dripped with venom.

The second my tears registered in his mind it was like a switch flipped. His hand ruffled his hair and his voice was soft.

“I didn't come here to break up with you Melody. I came to apologize to you for not messaging all day. My phone died.” I huffed.

“You couldn't do that over a text?” My words were still sharp. He sighed.

“I had more to say. Important things that are supposed to be said face to face.” He took a step toward me and instinctively I took a step back. It didn't go unnoticed. “Jin Hyung talked to me last night and some of the things he brought up had me thinking all day. About whether or not it was fair to you for us to keep dating.” I moved to in but he held up his hand in protest. “Let me finish.” I hated feeling silenced but I did as he asked. “I was distracted all day over it. But I decided that it was worth it, to me at least. I wanted to make sure that we were on the same page. Jin Hyung brought up a lot of things, like how we can't be in a public relationship. Or how you can't tell anyone about who you are dating. I wanted to talk to you about how I was willing to risk it. I wanted to make sure you were too.”

I stood there for a second taking his words in. After a moment I said the first thing that popped into my head. “I have to pretend like we aren't dating? No, you have to pretend that you are single?” He frowned.

“Yes. At least for now. I am breaking contract by dating you and it could be dangerous if ARMY find out that you are my girlfriend.” I grimaced at his words.

“So your millions of fans get to keep their little fantasies about you and the one who really has you can't tell a soul? I have to act like I don't have feelings for you? Should I pretend to be ARMY? So I can look at my Oppa and not feel like an invisible person in the back corner of the room?” My voice was hard again.

“What?! No! Melody. I want to be with you. My time with you will be real. You aren't invisible. But I am not allowed to be unavailable. It’s part of being an idol. I don't like it! I would much rather be able to walk around with you on my arm showing you off but for your own safety and for the sake of my job I can't. There are fans out there who would literally try to hurt you if they found out about us!”

“I can take care of myself.” I interrupted. His hands found his hair angrily.

“I want to be with you! I am willing to sneak around and break contract and lose my career if I'm caught for you! Isn't that enough?” He shouted desperately. I didn't mean it but the words slipped out anyway.

“What if it isn't?”

“Then you were the one lying yesterday and not me.” He huffed. He turned around running his hand through his hair but he didn't leave.

“I wasn't lying.” I said softly. “I've just gotten used to things going wrong for me. This was going right and now I find out that I have to hide the one good thing I have going for me right now. What am I supposed to do? How am I supposed to react?”

He turned back around. “You are supposed to trust me. To confide in me. To lean on me. Not just throw it all away at the first sign of trouble. Isn't that what people who are dating do? Isn't that what people who care about each other do?” I couldn't answer. My voice was caught somewhere in my throat. I nodded.

This time when he stepped toward me I didn't back up. I just stood there looking at my converse. The ones he had bought me.

“MyungHee, I don't know how much time we have before you go back to the States. But I want to spend it calling you mine even if you are the only person I get to say it to.” He moved another step closer and I still didn't move. His hand brushed mine and my heart thudded in my chest.

“I panicked. I don't want to be that girl who is naive enough to believe she is the one when she is really last on the list.”

“You aren't last on the list Melody. There is no list. There is just you.” I looked up at his words. His eyes were worried as they searched mine. I sighed, tired.

“I believe you.”

“Good.” His fingers laced with mine. “I apologize for not messaging you today and for using a poor choice of words when I did. I didn't mean to worry you.”

“I'm sorry for freaking out.” I looked down at our hands. “Again.” He chuckled and my heart skipped.

“It's ok.” He lifted my chin with his free hand. “Can we do this?” My stomach lurched at his words. I wasn't sure what I was feeling.

“I-I want to be with you.” I mumbled, not making eye contact.

“It won't be easy for either of us.” His voice was soft.

“I know Jungkook.” My voice was firm. He nodded in understanding.

“Ok.” His smile showed for the first time. I had almost forgotten how breathtaking it was. His face registers something moments later. “You said something earlier.” His voice was strange.

“I said a lot of things.” I retorted, my eyebrows furrowing in confusion. “Most of them don't elicit that reaction.”

“You were talking about hiding us but you called me... You called me Oppa.” His face flushed uncharacteristically. Heat rose in my cheeks as I looked down at my feet.

“Oh. Yeah. I'm sorry it slipped.”

“No, MyungHee, don't be sorry. It just is weird to me. I'm just not used to people calling me that. Most people don't. I'm not old enough to be someone's Oppa.” His hand found his hair as I looked up at him.

“I didn't know. I won't call you that if it makes you uncomfortable. I just heard that was what boyfriends were called. And what fans called boy idols.” I muttered.

“It is. I've just never had a reason to be called that. Even when my fans call me that its uncomfortable.” His face flushed again. “Plus, I like hearing you say my name.” His hand was in his hair again. A chuckle escaped from my lips.

“Well then I guess I will keep calling you that then.” I flashed him a smile.

“I was worried I may never see that again.” He said with a sigh. My face instantly flushed and my eyes dropped once again.

“It's getting late Jungkook.” I muttered trying to change the subject. It really was getting late. It had to be well after midnight. Jungkook looked at his watch his eyes widening.

“Oh wow. It is really late. I'm sorry for keeping you out so late.”

“It's ok. It was necessary. I don't want you to get into trouble though. You probably have a busy day tomorrow.” I tried to sound like I wasn't sad about that but I don't think I did a very good job.

“I do. I should probably get back.” He frowned. “Can you do me a favor though?”

“Sure. I can try.” I nodded shooting him a curious look.

“Will you call me tomorrow?”

“Yeah. I can do that. Can you do me a favor?” I asked in return.

“Yeah. Anything.” He stated immediately.

“Answer when I call?” I said blush evident on my cheeks.

“I will try my hardest. As long as it doesn't come during one of the interviews.” He said as he moved closer to me. I looked up at him smiling.

“That's more than I was expecting.” I spoke honestly.

“MyungHee.” His words were soft again and he caressed my cheek. “Get some sleep. You are tired.” My eyes fluttered closed at his touch.

“Drive safe. Please don't get in trouble.” I muttered looking up at him. He smiled.

“Don't worry about me. I will be ok.” His hand found mine squeezing it reassuringly. “Goodnight, MyungHee.”

“Goodnight, Jungkook.” He gave me one last smile and then turned and walked back toward the exit of the gardens.

I waited until he was out of sight and then made my way out of the gardens. I headed inside as quietly as I could. Lucky for me my grandparents seemed to have slept through my adventure outside. I wasn't afraid that I would have gotten into trouble. I was more afraid they would ask questions that I wasn't ready to answer.

I felt better going up to my room than I did leaving it. I don't want to be that girl who gets my hopes up and lets one conversation eliminate all of my fears and resignations but I was willing to put my faith in this boy. He made me feel things that I hadn't felt in months. Possibly in years. I felt like I could smile. I wanted more than anything to forget Aria and the reason that I was here. I wanted to forget the parties and the stupid decisions that made the dark part of my heart bigger. I wanted the lightness that I felt when I was around Jungkook to stay. I wanted the nature I had for always needing to be sad and unhappy to go away. There was a boy in this massive city who was willing to risk being with me of all people when he knew that it was dangerous for his career. Boys in the States wouldn’t even look at me if it meant their social standing might waver. Not that I was much to look at. For some reason though Jungkook has decided that I am worth the risk and effort. I wasn't about to complain. Jungkook was gorgeous and even though we seemed to argue more than we don't he still seemed to know exactly what to say to make me feel better. He always knew how to make me smile. I could make him smile too and that made everything even better.

I changed back into my pajamas and crawled under the covers our conversation still fresh in my mind. The next few weeks were going to be hard and if I couldn't figure out how to stay the rest of the summer it was going to be even more complicated. Eventually I would have to go home and I didn't know what we would do when that time came but if we made it that far our relationship would only get harder.

I yawned and snuggled deeper into my covers smiling. I really wanted to be happy. He was willing to help me do so. It may have been selfish, but if I could be happy and he was the reason then that was good enough for me.

My eyes grew heavy and I hummed softly as I thought of his hand on my cheek and the softness of his voice. There was something very special about that boy. Something about him that made me feel special too.

I was still on edge and I was still worried that he was ultimately going to break my heart but for once, just once, I was willing to take the risk. I was willing to get hurt if it meant that I got to spend more time with him. If I got to learn more about him and got to experience what it was like to be cared about and to care about another person, I was willing to let myself fall. And the fact that I was willing to take that risk, scared me more than anything.