Converse

Kookie Jar of Hearts

Chapter Two

                **The sky was blue and there wasn’t a cloud in sight. It was perfect driving weather. I pulled my hair up into a messy ponytail while I waited for Aria to arrive. A sleek black Stingray pulled up in front of my house. The driver side window rolled down and Aria’s face popped into view. “Let’s go! Hurry!” I laughed and rushed to the passenger side of the car. I got in and we peeled off down the street.

                “Where did you get the wheels?” I asked loudly over the noise of the wind and engine.

                “It’s my uncle’s. He is in town for the week and said I could borrow it.” Aria replied throwing her head back. She lowered the top and we drove.

                Sirens sounded loud and persistent behind us. Aria looked over her shoulder and cursed under her breath. “I’m so dead”. She pulled the car over and after a few minutes a police officer approached the vehicle.

“License and Registration.” I quickly flip open the glove box and see nothing. It is empty.

                “What the crap Aria? Where is everything?” I looked at her angrily. She was crying. Large round tears were falling down her face.

                “I don’t have them officer.” She said through sobs.

                “What do you mean you don’t have them?! Just give him your license!” I exclaimed, starting to panic.

                “I can’t. I don’t have my license.” She looked up at the officer. He was frowning. Not a good sign.

                “Is this your car?” He asked roughly. Aria just shook her head. “Whose car is it?” Aria didn’t reply. “Please step out of the vehicle.” Aria moved to get out and I grabbed her arm.

                “Did you steal this car?! Did you lie to me?!” My voice rose in anger. “Are you freaking kidding?!” She shook off my hand and got out of the car. I followed suit, my hands in my hair. She lied to me. She flat out lied to me.

                The barred doors slammed shut and I turned to face Aria. “Are you stupid? What in the world were you thinking? Oh wait! You weren’t! How could you steal your uncles car?!” I shouted at her. I pushed her shoulder when she didn’t respond. “My parents are going to kill me! It is all your fault!” I pushed her shoulder again. “You aren’t going to say anything?”

                “I’m sorry.” Her voice came out a whisper. I scoff angrily.

                “Yeah well if sorry was enough we wouldn’t need police.” I stormed over to the opposite end of the cell and waited. The saying my mother taught me going over and over again in my head. My life was over. **

                I woke up from my dream, angry and sore. The images still played in my head. We got lucky. Aria’s uncle didn’t press charges. She got grounded for the rest of the summer and I was shipped to Korea with a warning that if I ever spoke with that nuisance girl again, I would be staying in Korea until I turned 20. I hadn’t talked to Aria since my parents came and dragged me away. I was so furious with her that I probably wouldn’t have any problem complying with my parent’s wishes.

                I pulled myself out of bed and slipped on my waiting slippers. I don’t know what the obsession with slippers in Korea was all about but I was happy for them considering my floors were wood. I went and grabbed clothes for the day and then glided over to the bathroom.

                Twenty minutes later I trudged down the stairs and followed the scent of food toward the dining room. My grandma and grandpa were already seated. I bowed respectfully then took my seat across from my grandma.

                “Good morning Myung Hee. Did you sleep well?” My grandmother said with a kind smile.

                “I slept ok. The bed is very comfortable.” I replied. A housekeeper wheeled a cart into the room filled with food. She placed the dishes on the table. Everything looked and smelled fantastic. If there was one thing I loved about Korea, it was the food. I smiled brightly as food was placed on my plate. “I will eat well!” I said excitedly. Grandma and grandpa nodded slightly and we all began eating.

                I was left to my own devices after breakfast. Grandpa went to work and Grandma had some meeting for some counsel she was a part of. Things got really boring really fast in the house. I straightened my room and put all of my new clothes in the wardrobe. I took a tour of the garden behind the house. After that there wasn’t much to do. I couldn’t message any of my friends because the time difference.

                I laid on my bed and my mind started to drift. First I thought about my dream. About the whole reason that I was here. What on earth was I supposed to do here for three weeks? I sighed and placed my pillow over my head. I groaned loudly into it. My phone dinged beside me. I pulled it over to me. A smile crept across my face. Why am I smiling? Stop it! I read the message.

                JK: Melody?

                Me: Jungkook…

                JK: What are you doing today?

                Me: Why do you wanna know?

                JK: Why do you always answer questions with questions?

                Me: Why are you being nosey?

                JK: This is getting nowhere…. Meet me today…

                Me: Why would I do that?

                JK: Because I owe you a pair of shoes and I’m bored.

                Me: So I am just some form of entertainment to you?

                JK: Seriously! Why are you always so feisty? I just thought you might want to hang out. If you don’t want to whatever.

                I don’t know why I was being feisty. I don’t know why I snapped so easily when I talked to him. I was just lying in bed with nothing to do and he messaged me wanting to do something. I should be grateful.

                Me: Where did you want to meet?

                An hour later my phone’s GPS had led me to a little coffee shop. It was definitely a hole in the wall. I walked inside and a little friendly old woman approached me.

                “How can I help you dear?” I bowed and replied softly.

                “I am waiting for a friend. I think I am early.” She looked over her shoulder then nodded.

                “Mr. Jeon is waiting for you. He arrived only a few moments before you did.” My eyes widen. He was already here? The old woman led me to the back of the coffee shop.  Jungkook was seated at a table tucked away in the corner. When I came into view his eyes met mine. A toothy grin spread across his face. Which I could actually see all of. His smile was breathtaking. Much better than that mask.

                “You came” He said happily. He stood up and pulled out my chair. I bowed my head respectfully, then I sat down.

                “What is this place?” I ask looking around curiously.

                “This is my favorite coffee shop. It is quiet and has free wifi.” He chuckled.

                “I thought you were getting me a pair of shoes?” I tried to hide my disappointment. I am pretty sure I failed.

                “We will get to that part.” He turned to the waiter that I did not even notice had walked up. He ordered coffee for the both of us. I didn’t mind really but the words came out of my mouth anyway.

                “What if I wanted something else?” I arched an eyebrow at him. He let out a sigh of what I guessed was frustration.

                “Is it really so hard to let me be nice to you? I invite you out, tell you I am going to make it up to you, and we haven’t even been here ten minutes and you are already trying to pick a fight.” He runs his hands through his hair.

                “I don’t even know you! How am I supposed to act? Yesterday was my first day in Korea in ten years and the first person I talk to other than my grandparent’s driver is you! Some random guy who takes the last pair of shoes. I am already having the worst summer possible so I apologize if I am a little wary about letting my guard down!” I crossed my arms over my chest and huffed.

                “Well you can’t get to know someone if you don’t even try.” His eyes narrowed.

                “I am here, aren’t I? I could have stayed home.” I turned my head away from him and muttered in English, “So cranky.”

                “I was glad you came. I wanted to give you a sincere apology and then take you to get new shoes but you are being so difficult.” He retorted. Then he smirked. “And I wasn’t cranky until you started giving me a hard time.” My eyes grew large.

                “I thought you didn’t know English.” I said, in Korean, sheepishly.

                “I said I wasn’t good at it. Not that I didn’t know it.” Jungkook looked proud of himself. I felt like an idiot. First I am rude, without even meaning it. Then I get caught talking crap.

                “Ok so here’s the thing. You seem nice enough. A little rude at times but nice all the same. I just have a hard time. I don’t know how to say it. I don’t know how relax.” I said, staring at the table.

                “I am not asking to be friends. I am asking you to let me repay my debt. If along the way we get to know each other ok. If not then it isn’t a big deal.” The waiter brought us our coffee and we were silent for a few minutes. “So where is your hometown?” I looked up from my coffee.

                “Los Angeles. America.” He smiles.

                “I’ve been there. My brothers and I all went. It was awesome!” This caught me by surprise. He had been to LA? And he had brothers?

                “How many brothers do you have?” My interest peaked.

                “Six. I am the youngest. Do you have siblings?” My mouth fell open. I quickly regained composure.

                “Six is a lot of siblings. I have a younger sister. She is in elementary school.” Jungkook nodded. He seemed to be uncomfortable. “How old are you?”

                “I was born in 1997. How old are you?” He was glad that I changed the subject.

                “I was born in 1998.” I said trying to do the math in my head of how old that would make me here. The age thing was always so confusing. I sipped on my coffee quietly.

                “What kind of music do you like?” He asked as we left the coffee shop. I thought about it. I don’t really listen to a whole lot of music.

                “Um whatever happens to be on the radio I guess? I don’t listen to music that often and I’m not super picky.” Jungkook looked at me like I had run over his puppy.

                “You don’t listen to music?” I shook my head and shrugged.

                “It’s not that I don’t like it or anything, I just don’t really ever find myself listening to it unless the radio is on in the car or I am at a party. And neither of those happen very often.” Jungkook was looking at me like I was the biggest mystery of his life.

                “You are so hard to figure out.” He muttered. I don’t think that I was supposed to hear him.

                “So where are we going?” I inquired looking around the busy streets. Jungkook put on his facemask and a pair of sunglasses and started walking.

                “You will see.”

Jungkooks POV

                How does someone not listen to music? This girl was so confusing. But there was a comfort in the fact that she didn’t know who I was. I didn’t have to put on a show, or worry she wanted me for my fame. Although, she probably is annoyed by the mere sight of me. I don’t know why I was trying so hard to keep Melody’s attention. Maybe it was the fact that she wasn’t an ARMY. That she wasn’t throwing herself at me. It was refreshing. The love of ARMY is what keeps me motivated in my work, but finding a girl who can truly know me without the mention of BTS, is like finding a single grain of rice on the beach.

                I led her to the shoe store. I had found it the night before when I was searching for another pair of the navy converse that I owed her. It was small but it was the only store I could find that carried those shoes. I guess you could call it luck. I watched her as we entered the store. fell open as she looked around at all the different shoes. She quickly found the ones she was looking for. A pretty girl came out from behind the checkout counter. She walked over to us.

                “Is there anything I can help you find today?” Melody nodded and asked for the shoes in her size. She had a little trouble telling her what size she needed. I could tell she was getting frustrated.

                “Calm down, sit down.” She looked at me and then sat down on the little bench near us. I took off her shoe. I looked at the inside tag. I then told the worker what size she needed.

                The worker snapped her head up from the shoes. Oh no. This wasn’t good. I prayed she didn’t recognize me.

                “Jungkook Oppa?” Of course she did. Of course I wouldn’t be able to have one outing without someone recognizing me. The girl stared at me. Then she looked over at Melody. Her eyebrows cinched together. Melody looked up when the girl said my name. I couldn’t ignore her, but I didnt’t want Melody acting different if she found out.

                I nodded a small bow in recognition. The girl’s eyes grew wide with excitement. Melody was eyeing me suspiciously. The girl darted off into the back room.

                “Do you know her?” Melody whispered.

                “It’s complicated. I will explain it after we leave.” I whispered back. The girl came back a moment later with the proper size shoes as well as a pen and a piece of paper.

                “Here are your shoes.” She handed them kindly to Melody before turning to me. She got a nervous look on her face. After a few moments she held out her pen and paper to me. “Oppa? Can I have your autograph?” I nodded.

                “What is your name?” I asked taking the pen and paper from her.

                “Kim Sae Eun” She said quickly. I wrote her name and a quick note with my signature. I then handed the paper back to her. “Thank you!” She bowed then scurried back out of sight. I turned to face Melody, expecting to see an angry or confused face, but she wasn’t sitting on the bench. She was now walking toward me from the opposite end of the row of shoes.

                “So what do you think?” She said looking down at her feet. I followed her gaze. The shoes looked good on her. Very chill. Who knew Namjoon Hyung was so right about converse.

                “They look great.” I replied quickly. “You ready to check out and move on?” I said with a smile. She returned it and nodded. We went up to the register and luckily and older ajumma came out and rang up the shoes. We left the store with the new shoes still on Melody’s feet, her old ones tucked safely in the bag.

Melody’s POV

                “So who was that girl?” I ask as we walk down a quiet side street. “She seemed to know you.” It had been really weird. The girl in the shoe store seemed dazed by Jungkook. She knew his name.

                “A lot of people know me. I’m pretty popular.” He runs his hand against the back of his neck. I could tell that he was leaving something out. I didn’t know if I should push or not. Obviously if he didn’t want me to know, who was I to pry?

                “Don’t get a big head. You aren’t that cool.” I gave him a light shove and he huffed in response.

                “You would be surprised.” I bark out a laugh. He was funny.

                “Ok Mr. Ego where are we going next?”

                “Batting cages? How... Charming…” I said as we enter the empty cage.

                “I didn’t know I was supposed to be charming you.” He piped up. I laughed. “I like your laugh.” He stated. “You should do it more often.”

                “I think I have laughed more today than I have in a month.”

                “It’s probably because you are so angry. Which brings me to why we are here.” He handed me a bat. I raised an eyebrow at him. “Stress relief. Take your anger out on the ball.” He pushed me lightly toward the plate. I turn my head slowly away from him. The ball shoots out of the machine, I swing and I hear the clang of baseball on metal. I smile. The machine sends another ball. I imagined that it was Aria. CRACK! I sent it soaring. The next ball comes. It was a Black Stingray. The next one was the police officer. The next one was my parent’s ashamed faces. The next one was me. My vision got blurry and my breathing grew heavy. Ball after ball with my face connected with my bat until I couldn’t see anymore and I couldn’t breathe. I dropped the bat. I sank to the ground and my hands found my hair. I grabbed fistfuls of it.

                “Stupid, stupid girl.” I muttered to myself.

                A pair of warm hands settled over mine. They worked my fingers out of my hair. Then they lifted my face. Jungkook’s onyx eyes were full of concern.

                “Melody. Don’t do that to yourself. I don’t know what happened. You don’t have to tell me. But please don’t pull your hair like that. Don’t be so angry with yourself.” His voice was soft and gentle and full of sincerity.

                “Thank you.” I half whispered.

                “For what?” He asked, his eyes still boring into mine.

                “For bringing me out today. For my shoes. For bringing me here. It really did help.” I smiled wiping the tears from my face. I slowly stood up. Jungkook followed suit.

                “Any time.” His words were still soft and kind.

                Music suddenly erupted from his pocket. We both jumped in surprise. He fished his phone out and read the screen.

                “I have to take this sorry.” He answered the call. “Hello? … I’m sorry hyung… No I didn’t realize it was that time already… Yes… Yes… Sorry Jin hyung… I will head there now… Bye…” He hung up the phone looking defeated.

                “What’s wrong?” I questioned. He shook his head.

                “I have to go. I have an appointment. I lost track of time and now my brothers are mad because I am going to be late.” He sighed. “I can take you to the bus station. It’s on the way.” I shook my head quickly.

                “I will be ok. I am pretty good at finding my way. Don’t worry. Go.” I shove him gently out of the cage.

                “Are you sure. It’s really no big deal.” I sighed.

                “I am sure. Now go Jungkook, before you make me angry.” He chuckled and turned to leave. “You should listen to the radio tonight.” He said turning back around. “102.3. I heard they have great stuff on around 6:30.” I nodded and waved him off. He turned and jogged out of sight.

                I found home easily. It was a simple matter of retracing steps. You learn fast how to navigate busy streets and to keep track of turns living in a big city like LA.

                I entered the house and gave my box of shoes to the housekeeper. I then slipped out of my converse and into my slippers. I greeted my grandparents, who were in my grandfather’s office looking quite busy with paperwork. I excused myself after a quick “I’m home” and then I went to my room. I plopped onto my bed and extracted my phone out of my pocket. The time on my screen said 6:25. Jungkook had mentioned listening to the radio. It couldn’t hurt. I grabbed the pad of paper off of the desk in my room and a pencil. Might as well draw something. Maybe the music will be my muse. I my phones radio app and turned it to the station Jungkook had mentioned. I was surprised when it wasn’t playing music. The DJ was speaking.

                “Alright listeners, the time has come. Today we have some very special guests. They are at the top of the charts and have just released a new music video. The unforgettable Bangtan Boys!” The radio then fills with a bunch of male voices saying hello. “Why don’t you all introduce yourself to our listeners? Let’s go oldest to youngest shall we?” The DJ says excitedly.

                “Hello, I’m Jin the oldest member of BTS.”

                “Hello, I’m Suga, swag.” What kind of name is Suga.

                “Hello, I am J-Hope. Let me be your hope!” Oh my goodness how cheesy.

                “Hello, my name is RapMonster, I’m the leader.” Rap monster. Really?

                “Hello, I am Jimin. I’m the visual.”

                “Hello, I am V. and I love ARMY.” V? He wants to be in the Army. That is a good goal I guess. The DJ began talking again.

                “Our maknae is running late. Oh wait here he is.” A rough sigh came over the station. “Why don’t you say hello to your fans and tell us where you have been.

                “I am so sorry I am late.” The voice made your ears prick. Something in his voice was familiar. “I was out with a friend and lost track of time.” He sounded out of breath, as if he had been running. “Hello everyone! I am the Golden Maknae, Jeon Jungkook. I am sorry again for being late.” I didn’t hear that right. I couldn’t have.

                “Thank you for your apology. So you were out with a friend?”

                “Yes.” His voice was more even now. And so familiar. “I owed them a pair of shoes.” Holy Crap. It couldn’t be. There is no way. “Then we went to the batting cages.” I stopped breathing. What in the world was happening? This couldn’t be the same boy. I ticked off the names of the boys in my head. Jin, Suga, J-hope, Rapmonster, Jimin, V, Him. Seven boys. Jungkook said he had six brothers. He also said he was the youngest. And that he went to LA with them. My head was swimming. The girl in the shoe store was amazed by him. And she had a pen and a piece of paper when she gave me my shoes. He asked me if I liked music. And told me to listen to this station at this time.

                I… Am… An… Idiot….

                “Give a shout out to your friend if they are listening!” The DJ said pulling me out of my thoughts.

                “I am sorry for having to leave early. I will explain everything. I hope you got home safely.” His voice cut off nervously at the end. I was so confused. I turned off the radio.

                I laid on my bed for a long time. When my phone dinged beside me, I jumped.

                JK: Melody?

I contemplated not answering.

                Me: What?

                JK: Did you listen to the radio?

                Me: I did.

                JK: Are you angry?

Was I angry? I was definitely frustrated. Possibly even hurt. But I don’t know about angry.

                Me: I don’t know how to answer that right now.

                JK: Oh…

                JK: I’m sorry…

                Me: What are you sorry for?

                JK: For not being up front with you. For not telling you in person.

                Me: Well at least you know.

                JK: Melody…. I am sorry.

                Me: Yeah me too.

                I exited kakao and turned off my phone. I crawled lazily under my covers. I pulled the pillow over my head and drifted off to sleep, a single tear drifting down my cheek.