Kookie Jar of Hearts Ch. 3

Kookie Jar of Hearts

Kookie Jar Chapter Three

Melody’s POV

                I kept my phone off for three days. Maybe that is dramatic but at the time I didn’t care. I spent those three days getting to know Seoul. I found out that in my neighborhood there were six properties. All wealthy business owners. Two of them owned dogs. I ventured further out each day and on the third day I found something that I wasn’t expecting. At the end of a dead-end street just past my subdivision, there was a small studio. It was full of art supplies. It had everything from paper and pencils, to oil paints and canvas, to spray paint. It had every possible medium that sane artists used. The walls were covered from floor to ceiling with artwork. All of them were for sale. I was in awe. Art was pretty much my life outside of skateboarding.

                The worker at the art studio approached me after I had been browsing for a few minutes. “What’s your preferred medium?” He asked as I ogled a set of pastels.

                “Pastels on fine canvas.” I say out of habit. Some people didn’t like the way pastels looked on canvas but I had always liked the effect it gave. “I haven’t worked in a very long time though.” This was true. I hadn’t drawn anything other than lazy sketches since before I had met Aria. She had gotten me into skateboarding and away from my artwork. I lazily searched the walls examining the painting and portraits that filled them. I paced the aisles my eyes blurry and not really focusing on anything in particular.

                “You must really like that one. That’s the fourth time you have been caught staring at it since you walked in.” The worker smarted with a laugh. I shook my head and let my eyes focus on the picture in front of me. I stumbled back a step. Jeon Jungkook stared back at me from the wall. He was surrounded by six boys and they all were just as gorgeous as he was. All with breathtaking smiles. The picture was signed by all seven members. I hadn’t even realized I had been staring at him. “Are you a fan of BTS?” The worker asked.

                “No. Not really.” I say staring down at my feet. He chuckles.

                “I can appreciate a good eye. Take it.” I wheeled my head up to look at him.

                “What? You can’t be serious.” I look back at the picture again. Jungkook was still staring back at me.

                “I am very serious. I don’t have any use for it anymore. Take it with the promise that you will spend money in this shop next time.” I nodded vehemently and he removed the picture from the wall. He carefully wrapped it and then brought it back to me. I gave him my thanks and then left.

                Jungkook stayed planted in my mind the entire walk back to the house. I wondered about what he was doing and if he was busy. I wondered if he had forgotten all about me. It wouldn’t surprise me if he had. He was famous after all.

                When I got into my room I took the picture out of its wrapping. I laid it on my bed and then scavenged the bedside drawer to find my phone. I felt it cool in my hand and slid onto my stomach next to the BTS poster. I the phone. Nervousness filled my stomach. What was I expecting? Did I want there to be messages from him? Did I want him to have forgotten about me? I didn’t know. My phone buzzed in my hand. Then again. My kakao app said I had 10 unread messages. I opened the app. Every. Single. Message. Was from Junkook.

                JK: Melody…

                JK: Please Mel. Answer me.

                JK: I didn’t mean to lie to you. I didn’t know how to tell you. It isn’t every day I come across someone who doesn’t know who I am.

                JK: That is a crappy excuse. Please let me explain. I am so sorry Melody.

                JK: I hope you are ok…..

                JK: I understand if you don’t wanna talk to me anymore.

                JK: I should never have kept this from you. I was looking forward to getting to know you. Now I have ruined it.

                JK: Melody…

                JK: It’s been three days. I guess you really don’t want to talk to me.

                JK: I really hope you are doing ok... I am glad to have met you. I am sorry that I ruined our friendship before it even started… Goodbye…

                The last message was sent 10 minutes ago. My heart sank. These messages were not what I was expecting. I had honestly thought he would forget about me. This left me even more confused about what I should do.

Jungkook’s POV

                She read them. But she didn’t reply. I tossed my phone onto the makeup counter. I let out a frustrated sigh. Namjoon peered at me from the seat next to my left. “That friend of yours still hasn’t messaged back?”

                “No. They haven’t. I don’t want to think about it right now. I don’t want ARMY to see my frustration.” I got up from my seat and NamJoon Hyung did the same.

                “That is probably a good idea. You will probably get lots of gifts today. Just try to focus on making ARMY happy today. They are the ones who really matter.” He says before wandering over to the food table. I shook my head to try to free my mind from thoughts of Melody but it was no use. Our fans had been waiting weeks to see us. I wanted to spend the next few hours focusing on them. I walked over and sat next to Jin hyung on the couch and let my head fall onto his shoulder.

                “Jungkookie you are going to mess up your hair.” Hyung said glancing down at you. He frowned. He always worried about me the most. Jimin was a close second.

                “I am ok Hyung. Don’t frown like that. I am just tired.” I closed my eyes lightly and Jin hyung let me rest. I didn’t fully fall asleep. After a few moments I heard hash whispers. I kept my eyes closed. It was best to ignore the crazy hyungs sometimes.

                “If he catches you, he will kill you!” I am pretty sure Taehyung whispered.

                “He won’t catch me. She is playing hard to get. I am just giving her the opportunity to be gotten. She won’t say no.” Jimin hyungs voice whispered back. “It’s done. Now we just have to wait and see what happens.” They were quiet after that. I opened my eyes slowly. Jimin was very carefully placing my phone back on the counter where I had tossed it. I stood up quickly.

                “Hyung! What did you do?” Jimin’s eyes went wide with panic and Taehyung barked out a laugh.

                “I told you, you would get caught!” Taehyung shook his head. I walked over to my phone and flipped on the screen. Kakao was still open on my screen. Another message had been sent from my phone.

                JK: I won’t message you again after this. But if you want to see me, I will be at Seoul Center for the Arts. In the Flower Room. Wear a red hat.

                I smacked my hand to my forehead before raising my now glowering eyes to Jimin hyung. “Why did you do that Hyung!” I half whined, half yelled at him.

                “Because, I am sick of seeing you moping around and being distracted. You hardly know this girl. But for some reason she has shaken our maknae and so I made a move. She already isn’t talking to you. If she doesn’t come, then you have your answer. If she does come than you have a chance to explain yourself.” Jimin said a smile playing on his lips.

                “I can’t exactly confront her in a room full of ARMY!” I said with a frustrated sigh. “Whatever. I am gonna go find Hoseok hyung. Don’t follow me.” I stalked out of the room and wandered the large Arts building in search of Hobi hyung. I found him peeking around a wall stealthily. He was obviously trying to catch a glimpse of how many people had showed up. He was always so excited to see ARMY. I quietly walked over to him and tapped his shoulder. A small squeak escaped his lips and he pulled himself quickly back behind the wall.

                “Don’t do that! You almost gave me away. Do you know how many ARMY are out there?” Hobi hissed at me.

                “A lot, probably.” I whisper back at him. He nodded excitedly, his toothy grin spreading wide across his face.

                “I am so excited! I feel like we haven’t got to meet with ARMY in forever!” His smile turned into a pout.

                “It does feel like too long.” We got to see them soon. I suddenly had the urge to peak around the corner. I edged around Hobi and snuck my head around the wall. Girls everywhere. The whole atrium was full of people. Mostly girls. They were all waiting in line to be let into the Flower Room. There was half an hour before ARMY would be allowed in. Forty-five minutes before we were introduced.

                “Let’s finish getting ready” Hobi said pulling me away from the wall back toward our prep room.

Melody’s POV

                The building was bustling with people. Signs everywhere pointed to the Flower Room. I didn’t even know what made me decide to come; what made me put on my red snapback and hop in a taxi. But here I was following the signs and black ropes toward the flower room. At the door stood a man holding a clip board, a container full of tickets beside him. I didn’t have a ticket. I approached the man with the clipboard. His eyes fell on my hat and without a moment’s hesitation he asked.

                “What is your name?”

                “Melody.” I answered quickly. The man nodded and then opened the door to the room.

“Go ahead and get in line. There shouldn’t be too long of a wait.” I bowed politely then entered the room. A very orderly line weaved its way through the black ropes. The line of mostly girls led up to a long table. Seven boys sat at the table, each one busy signing autographs and chattering away to the girl or boy in front of them. A lot of the people held gifts and bags and they all had matching books in their hand. I had never seen something so organized. The line was moving at a steady pace. I took my time watching the boys. A small name plate sat in front of each boy. A silver/blonde boy sat in the first chair. He wore a flower in his hair and was smiling brightly at the girl in front of him. His name plate said Rap Monster. A narrow boy sat next to him. He had light brown hair and perfectly pouty lips. Jin was his name. J-Hope sat next to Jin. He had dark brown hair and a backwards snap back. His laugh echoed throughout the room as he opened a gift to reveal an amusing toy. Suga had mint green hair and although he smiled genuinely at the girl in front of him, he looked as though he was about to fall asleep. The next boy had light brown hair with a little bit of green peeking through his bangs. He had a boxy smile and was bouncing up and down in his chair as a girl placed a stuffed animal in front of him. His nameplate simply said V. Next to him was a boy in a sleeveless shirt. His hair was orange. He was very cute and kept nudging the boys next to him to show his latest gift. Jimin was his name. The last seat held Jungkook. He was in a white Tee and had a headband in his hair with a top hat on it. It was quite adorable. None of the boys had seen you come in. They were all busy with their fans. The line continued steadily. I didn’t realize how out of place I looked, empty handed until I reached the first boy. He looked up and smiled.

“Is this your first fan meeting?” He asked. His voice was deeper than I would have expected. I nodded.

“I didn’t know I was supposed to bring something.” His smile widened. I looked down at my purse. I opened it and after searching a minute through the black hole, I pulled a small notebook from the abyss. “Here sign this.”

“What is your name?” He said clicking his pen and flipping open the notebook to an empty page.

“Lee Myung Hee.” My Korean name slipped from my lips. I hadn’t addressed myself that way in a very long time. The words felt foreign in my mouth. I guess in a way they were.

“That’s a pretty name.” Rap Monster scribbled his name and then slid the notebook to Jin.

I moved down the line each boy signing in my notebook and holding up a hand for a high five. J-Hope chuckled at my notebook and I again mentioned my being unaware of needing to bring something. When I got to V, he looked up and choked on the candy he had just placed in his mouth. Then his boxy smile covered his face and asked for my name. He lowered his head over my notebook. I replied once again with Lee Myung Hee. At this his eyebrows pulled together. But he signed the page and passed the book to Jimin. Jimin looked up at me and his eyes grew large. He almost looked as if he recognized me.

“I like your hat.” He said with a wink. This boy sure was flirty. I bowed politely.

“Thank you.” I said, softer than I meant to.

“Your welcome. What’s your name?”

“Lee Myung Hee.” I reply automatically. Jimin glances over at V who shrugs and then he signs my notebook. He then slides the book to Jungkook. The boy is talking to one of the workers behind him. I take of my had and lay it in front of him on the table. He clicks his pen still not looking up at me.

“What’s your-“ His eyes fall on the red hat. His eyes snap up to my face. I raise an eyebrow at him. “Melody.” The moment your name falls from his lips, V and Jimin both look at me. A knowing look in their eyes. My name sounded like magic when he said it like that. I let my eyes drop.

“Jungkook.” I said, my voice but a whisper. My heart was pounding in my ears. I glanced up at him. His face held a frown. He looked down at the notebook, slid it to him and began to write. After a moment he flipped it shut clicked his pen and looked up at me. He held up his hand just as the others had. I lifted my palm to his lightly. His hand was soft. I let my hand drop to my notebook and then I followed the line back to its starting point, leaving my hat behind. All of the boys stood, bowed, said a warm thank you, then left the room. I looked down at the notebook in my hands. I flipped it to the page that Jungkook had signed. Only there was no signature. Instead, there was a note.

Meet me in the stairwell by the north elevators. I want to talk to you.

I quietly slip out of line and back out the doors. The man holding the clipboard nodded at me and I made my way toward the elevators. I turned the corner and at the end of the line of elevators was a door. A red exit sign glowed above the door. I pushed the door open, praying it wasn’t an emergency exit that would set off an alarm. Luckily no alarm sounded.

Facing the opposite direction, stood Jungkook. The door clicked shut behind me and he whirled around to face me. The top hat headband no longer sat in his hair. Eyeliner made his eyes pop and you were slightly taken by his flawless face.

He wasn’t smiling. He looked hurt. Why was he hurt? I was the one that got lied to.

“Hey.” I breathed the word. His hand finds the back of his neck and he ruffles his hair.

“I waited for you to reply. I messaged you over and over. You didn’t answer.” His voice is rough.

“I wasn’t ready to talk.” I said softly, shaking my head.

“You should have let me explain.” He huffed. Why was he getting angry? I snap.

“Explain what Jungkook? The fact that you hid who you really were from me? Explain how you blatantly lied to me when I asked how that girl in the shoe store knew you? I was stupid to let my guard down. Why would you be any different from anyone else.” I could feel the heat in my face. I glowered at him. His eyes were just as dark.

“Yes! Let me at least defend myself! You aren’t the only one who let their guard down. I must be an idiot to think that I could find someone, anyone, who would see me for me and not for BTS and my fame. Excuse me for thinking for a second that I had found a person that might not care!” I stumble back at the bite of his words.

“You humiliated me Jungkook! I cried in front of you! I let you see that side of me! I don’t even know you and I showed you anyway! Because I thought you might be different! I thought maybe I had found someone who was at least honest with me! And then you make a fool of me on public radio!”

“I tried to explain myself! For the last three days I messaged you hoping to explain myself! And you ignored me!” Then he was inches from my face. I could feel his angry breath move my hair. “You have no idea how frustrating you are. I made a mistake. I can’t take it back. You just keep pushing me away.” His hands find my arms and he grips them tightly. I flip my head to glare into my eyes.

“Let me go.” I hissed through gritted teeth. His grip only tightened.

“Is it so hard to forgive me?” He snarled.

“How can I possibly forgive you when you are being like this?” My voice cracked and I nodded toward his hands. “I said let go of me!” I pushed him away from me. His hands fell from my arms. I wiped the angry tears from my eyes. “I really shouldn’t have come.” I grasp the door handle, pull it open, and leave, not looking back.