At least it can't get any worse. Not today, anyway. It's pretty late.

My Girlfriend is a...

Seven years ago

No POV

 

Stephanie glared down at the piece of paper in front of her, willing words to appear and for her paper to finish itself. She had only been in Korea for a year and a half and was still having trouble adjusting to using only Korean. She spoke it somewhat well, but could never seem to form a fluid sentence structure on paper.

As though only to further her frustrations, the class bell rung and the room was soon filled with the clamor of the other students complaining about how easy the assignment had been for them. Stephanie didn't move. She stayed put, head hung, still staring defiantly at the paper on her desk. She would not cry, she told herself as she in a shaky breath.

Even as the teacher left the room, seemingly uncaring as to why Stephanie chose to stay in her seat rather than go get lunch with the other students, she sat there. She decided to shut herself off from her surroundings, completely determined to get the words out, even if they were forced or incorrectly spelled. She refused to fail.

Stephanie snatched her pencil from her desk and forced her scribbled marks that, to an outsider, only vaguely looked like hangul onto her paper. Her lips were pursed as her pencil moved at a faster and faster pace. She would finish by the lunch break's end. She was Stephanie Hwang and she definitely would not cry.

~ * ~

When she set her pencil down there was an immediate sigh coming from next to her. Stephanie snapped up and stared cautiously at the source. A girl much too small for this to be her class stretched her arms out above her head, eyes squinted shut, face contorting as she held back a yawn.

“That sure took you long enough, huh?” The girl teased. Stephanie merely frowned, unsure how to respond. She couldn't tell whether the girl was intending to be rude or attempting to make friendly conversation and she wasn't sure which she'd rather assume. The girl cocked an eyebrow, “Is your Korean that bad?” She slowed her speech down now, “Do you understand what I'm saying?”

Stephanie's eyes narrowed into a glare as she stood, swiping her paper up from her desk and taking long, confident steps to the teacher's desk. She slapped it down on the pile of papers by the other students before making a swift turn, staring directly into the other girl's eyes. “I understand perfectly fine,” she said angrily as she returned.

Stephanie smacked her palm onto the desk in front of the girl so hard that the girl jumped. “I'm American, not stupid. And I'm tired of all of you kids having this superior attitude just because you grew up speaking Korean,” she growled. Satisfied with the astounded look on the other girl's face, Stephanie sat back down, legs crossed, arms folded across her chest. “You should just head back to your class, shortie. I'm not going to sit here and be harassed by a thirteen year old.”

“This is my class!” The girl protested loudly, “I'm Kim Taeyeon! I sit right here, every day, you jerk...” Stephanie gave a skeptical look, but the girl, Taeyeon, didn't relent.

“... You're serious?”

“Yes!”

A pause. “I'm not sure which one of us got the shorter end of the stick here,” Stephanie teased as a smirk began to play out on her face. Taeyeon was only able to keep her frown for a moment longer before they both burst out into a fit of laughter.

~ * ~

“They flew you in from America personally? For real?” Taeyeon seemed to have found herself in awe of the other girl. Such was to be expected though. It wasn't an uncommon thing for a trainee to be a student at their school; Taeyeon herself was a trainee. Stephanie, however, was different. Stephanie was an elite. To be handpicked and have your expenses paid and taken care of by the label was definitely something to set her apart from the others.

Stephanie nodded sheepishly and took another forkful of rice into . Taeyeon couldn't keep herself from smiling at this point. They hadn't exactly gotten off on the right foot, but the other girl was just too cute for words. Everyone else in the class had avoided Stephanie for one reason or another, but Taeyeon had concluded now that they must have been jealous of her. Or had trouble understanding her.

“Then you must be pretty great,” Taeyeon said, smile widening, “We should sing together sometime. Do you do karaoke?” Stephanie was caught off guard at the kind words and actually ignored them at first, only realizing that Taeyeon was serious when the girl seemed to still be waiting for an answer. It wasn't that she had never spent time with people outside of school before, in fact, she was rather popular at her school in America. She wasn't, however, used to people in their current school acknowledging her existence, let alone showing interest in hanging out with her.

“Yeah, I do. That sounds like fun.”

~ * ~

“So basically, she completely avoided the question but you were too distracted to realize it,” Taeyeon summarized bluntly. Tiffany groaned, feeling her heart sink as she acknowledged how accurate it was. “Well, was her answer really that important in the first place?”

“It was!” Tiffany would have been a bit embarrassed by her excitement over the matter if it hadn't been Taeyeon she was talking to. “I just...” she sighed, “I was really happy and it was distracting. Of course I care about her answer. She's really important to me and I want to know why she keeps me in the dark about things.”

There was a pause on the other end of the line for a moment, “I know you're going to get mad at me, Fany, but it really sounds like--”

“Oh, no, Kim Taeyeon. Don't you dare start with me with that again. Not everyone has to feel that way about girls,” Tiffany pursed her lips, trying to keep the disgust out of her tone for the sake of her friend, “And for the last time, I don't. I'm sorry.”

Taeyeon let out a deep sigh. She didn't think she was the one Tiffany had to be feeling sorry for. But she only had one way to confirm her suspicions. “Regardless, I think it's about time you let me meet this best friend of yours.”

“I think so too,” Tiffany agreed, frowning.

~ * ~

Tiffany sat next to Taeyeon at a secluded table in the back of the restaurant, patiently waiting for Jessica to arrive as they sipped on their drinks. Both were trying to keep a friendly air about them despite the anxiety that lurked just beneath their surfaces. Taeyeon's mind was at work trying to plan out how to determine Jessica's intentions without being too direct. Tiffany's was playing out a multitude of scenarios where her two best friends would end up hating each other and she'd have to choose between them.

Luckily for them both, they soon caught a glimpse of long blonde hair and easily identified the woman as Jessica. Not far behind her was Jay, letting himself be led by Jessica's hand as she walked in front of him laughing. Tiffany let out a disappointed sigh, finding herself to already be mildly upset about the intimate moment between the two. More than that, though, she was upset with herself for being upset about it.

When the two reached the table, Jessica wrapped an affectionate arm around Tiffany's shoulder and gave her a quick squeeze before giving the shorter woman a nod in acknowledgment. “Hey there. I'm Jessica,” she began and gestured to Jay with her free hand, “And this is my boyfriend, Jay. It's so nice to finally meet you.” Jay placed a gentle hand on Jessica's shoulder and simply smiled at Taeyeon before motioning Jessica to her seat in the booth.

“Taeyeon. And,” Taeyeon dropped her voice to a near whisper, “Tiffany already told me, so there's no need to pretend you're dating. But it's great to meet you both.”

Much to Tiffany's dismay, Jessica did nothing about Jay's hand that had found its way into hers. Instead, Jessica just nodded with an almost sad smile, “That's fine too then.” The air grew heavy as a silence fell among the table. Tiffany was too upset to say anything, Taeyeon was still wary of Jessica, Jessica had the feeling Taeyeon really disliked her and Jay wondered how many of the girls were having their time of the month.

Just as Jay opened his mouth to speak, their server arrived and handed them their menus. He was a rather short male with almost a baby face to him, his cheeks making him look as though he were around Taeyeon's visual age. “What would you all be having to drink this evening?” He began, arms tucked behind his back in a professional fashion.

“Can we get a bottle of wine? Any will do, but I think we'll be needing one.” Jay requested with a smirk. The girls couldn't help but chuckle a bit and the server cracked a smile.

“Right away, sir.” The boy said before taking off.

Immediately, Tiffany leaned forward to Jessica, “Sohee. Our waiter looks exactly like Sohee.” Jessica leaned forward as well and snatched up Tiffany's hand that had been on the table, nodding furiously, barely able to keep herself from laughing.

Taeyeon arched an eyebrow, “You know Sohee, Jessica?”

“Yeah, actually. Jay and I have been friends with her for a year or so now.”

“Tiffany and I went to high school with her. A really nice girl, isn't she?”

“Definitely.” Jessica gave a warm smile in Taeyeon's direction and Taeyeon nearly blushed. She was beginning to understand why Tiffany had become so taken with her, whether she was too dense to realize it or not. Taeyeon was pleased when the four of them had been able to build a conversation from the mention of Sohee and it had continued for hours as they consumed more and more wine.

“I'm really drunk.” Tiffany blurted out, her head resting on the table. Jessica nodded, rubbing her cheek against the table, sympathizing with the other girl. Jay laughed as he struggled to pull his phone from his jacket pocket to phone a cab for them and Taeyeon recognized this as her chance.

She scooted out of the booth and gave Jessica a gentle tap on her head causing the blonde to look up. “Restroom?” Jessica gave a pouty face, nodding and holding her hands out to Taeyeon for help which she prompty received. She turned to ask Tiffany if she wanted to join them, but saw she was already knocked out cold and decided against waking her up.

“So then, you and Tiffany?” Taeyeon inquired as soon as they were a good distance from the table.

“Friends.” Jessica shot her answer back immediately, sounding much better off than before. The shorter girl narrowed her eyes.

“You're not drunk.” She observed.

“And neither are you.”

“I have a really impressive alcohol tolerance level for my size.”

“I only had one glass.” Jessica said with a smirk. Taeyeon took a moment to think back to dinner and recalled that she had indeed only had one glass. It bothered her slightly that none of them had noticed that whole time and even more so that she hadn't been paying attention enough to have noticed herself.

She realized at that point that her plan had been properly thwarted by the fact that Jessica wasn't the type to get drunk in a public setting. She probably could have thought of something else, but favored a more direct approach. The worst Jessica could do is lie. “Are you gay?”

“Lesbian.” Jessica pressed her hand against the restroom door, staring Taeyeon down. “I don't think you're the type that would tell her that, though, are you?”

Taeyeon shook her head, “She probably wouldn't believe me,” she muttered as she stepped passed by Jessica and opened the door for them both. “And even if she did, it's not as though it would benefit me in any way. It'd just upset her.”

The blonde gave Taeyeon an encouraging pat on the back before heading into a stall. Taeyeon leaned against the sink, giving one of the motion sensors a quick swipe as a courtesy for Jessica, continuing to do so until she stepped out of the stall.

As Jessica stuck her hand under the soap dispenser and then the water, Taeyeon began again, “So, what are you doing with her?”

“I love her.” Jessica said simply. “But she doesn't feel the same way, so I'm conforming to whatever she wants me to be.” She dried her hands, head hung and lips pursed, “Even if it means I can't be honest.”

“Don't pretend like you don't benefit from the arrangement.”

“Don't you pretend that it doesn't still hurt.”

Taeyeon gave Jessica's forehead a firm flick, eliciting a squeak and look of disbelief. “Tiffany is a strong girl,” she stated plainly, “I'm sure you've already noticed that. Rather than happiness, she's the type to value honesty.”

“You already said that all it'd do is upset her.”

“That's true. If I told her that's all that would happen. But it's something that needs to be done and you got yourself into this position.” Taeyeon spun and began to leave, stopping to give a quick look over her shoulder. “So get yourself, and Tiffany, out of it.”

~ * ~

“Jessi,” Tiffany called out affectionately, cupping the girl's cheeks, “Gimme a biiiiig kiss, you silly little blondie.” Her words were slurred to the point that it made it near impossible for Jessica to even make out what she was saying, since her skill in Korean left much to be desired on a normal day. Jessica's face flushed as she allowed herself to be kissed, gently placing a hand over one of Tiffany's that gripped her face just a bit too tightly.

She soon found her back pressed against the wall in Tiffany's living room, the normally innocent and cheery girl's eyes reflecting the overwhelming desire inside of her. They both were panting, Tiffany's hand now sliding its way under Jessica's shirt and up her flat abdomen only to have it stop halfway.

Jessica's frustration was building from being left anxiously awaiting the other girl's next move until she heard a soft sniffle. Tiffany was crying. Every other feeling besides Jessica's natural instinct to protect Tiffany evaporated as she grasped Tiffany's hands, running her thumbs over them in an effort to comfort her.

“What's wrong, sweetie?” She asked desperately, trying to get Tiffany to look her in the eye without lifting the girl's head. “We don't have to kiss or anything if you don't want to, you know? We should probably get to bed anyway. I have to be up in the mor--”

“I just love you so much, Jessi.” Tiffany managed before a gasp, taking her hands back so she could rub at her eyes. “I don't even know what to do. I mean, I don't think I've ever cared for a girl this much.” She pulled Jessica into an air-depriving hug, burying her face safely into the other girl's chest, “You're just the best friend I've ever had.”

Jessica could feel her guilt begin to swallow her up as she began inching Tiffany back to her room. “I love you so much. Like, a whole lot. Just so so much.” The girl mumbled into her bosom repeatedly.

The blonde tipped the both of them over and onto the bed once she was able to reach it. When Tiffany still refused to let go, Jessica wedged a hand between them and peeled the girl off of her. “You need to go to sleep, Steph. You're, like, really drunk.” She said with a smirk.

Will you tuck me in and kiss me good night?” Tiffany requested with a pout.

Duh.

Jessica turned over, now on all fours above Tiffany with the girl wearing an almost naughty smile. “This is kinda y, Jess.

Shut up, dufus.” The blonde ducked her head down and ran her lips gently over Tiffany's. Once, twice, three times. Then pressed one last kiss, this time firmly, onto the girl below her. “Good night.” She murmured, their faces still less than an inch apart, then rolled back over and under the sheets.

Tiffany slid under the covers as well before sneaking an arm around Jessica's waist, pressing her form against the blonde's back. “You're a really good kisser.” She whispered into her ear with a giggle, “And good night.

It was only a few minutes before Jessica could hear Tiffany's breath become even as the girl fell asleep and she was left alone with her thoughts. After talking to Taeyeon and hearing what she had from Tiffany, there was no way Jessica could continue on this way. Despite not having decided on her next course of action, she found herself going over the many different ways she could go about telling Tiffany the truth.

She fell asleep before she had decided what the best way was, but not before deciding the date. Jessica would have to tell Tiffany she was gay by the week's end and it was already Thursday. She was surprised to found that she had even slept when she woke up that morning. With how her stomach turned at the idea of having Tiffany be disgusted with her, she was finding it hard to keep from clutching at it constantly.

~ * ~

Stephanie clasped a hand firmly over , eyebrows furrowed as she glared down Taeyeon who was still recovering from a smack across the face. “You... were using me... this whole time... all you wanted was...”

“It's not like that,” Taeyeon pleaded, “I swear, it didn't start out this way, I--”

“Stop it! There's no excuse for something like that!” Tears now were now streaming down both of the girls' faces. Stephanie shook her head, still in disbelief, “I finally thought I had a friend and you...” Unable to stand the sight of her ex-friend any longer, she turned and ran out of the secluded classroom.

The next day, Stephanie had her seat changed to one on the far side of the classroom. Taeyeon didn't protest and they graduated without sharing another word. Their friendship of four months was ended with a kiss.

 

A/N- Here you go. c: A bit of a look into why Tiffany is so arghno about gays. I haven't slept in a while, lol. But it's ok because I got this done. Oh, and since started YM I decided to develop a complicated system of deciding between updating that and this. Using a random number generator and having the odd numbers be MGIA and even being YM. So complex. So difficult. Can't decide whether or not I should bother making a poster for this fic.

And yes, more Jay soon to come. I promise.