Chapter 9

The Number Twelve

The weekend couldn't come fast enough. Of course, I spent the remainder of the school week at home under my covers, but the school didn't seem to miss me because no one called saying I wasn't in, and none of my caretakers seemed worried about me in the slightest. I was invisible again, and I liked it that way.

Now I know what you're thinking. I just have been avoiding EXO and Jimin. And you're right, but I think my avoiding them is vwarrented giving what happened between us the last time I was with them. It was dangerous to get close to EXO, who cared for nothing as much as they cared for their popularity and the girls they could get into bed with. I wasn't going to provide for them anything they could want, and by staying home, I thought I could erase their interest in me.

I was wrong.

Friday evening, I was in bed with a novel in my hands. It was a book I had read several times as a child, about a princess who fell asleep and waited until one day, a prince had kissed her and they lived happily ever after. It was mysterious to me, why a girl would accept being kissed by a stranger as the incentive to be with that person forever. However, I had to admit that I was always obsessed with happy endings, since my life was short of them.

Suddenly, however, as I was reading, the lights in my room went out, and I felt panic rising in my heart. This kind of situation had only ever happened once before in my life, and following it was a series of destruction. I was frozen on my bed, my hands trembling as they clutched onto the book in their grasp. My eyes flickered over to the window and widened the moment they locked onto the quickly forming storm clouds. It was happening again.

A strangled sound escaped my lips as I shakily stood from my bed, my trembling legs taking me to the window so I can pull on the curtains and have the outside world hidden from my view. Of course it didn't help, since the lights were off and the flash of lightning could still be seen through the curtains. Not only that, but the sound of thunder that echoed through the house was enough to have tears escaping my eyes. It was like history was repeating itself, and after a moment of panic, I decided the best way of protecting myself was by hiding in my closet. I know, it's not exactly the brightest way to save one's self, but can you really blame me when all I wanted to do was curl up in a ball and sob?

And that's exactly what I did, after shutting my closet door. I could hear sounds from outside my closet. I could hear screams and shout of terror, I could hear car horns as the vehicles zoomed past our orphanage. I could hear crashes, and the wind was loud enough to shake the house. I could feel it coming. It was like it was last time, so soon enough, lightning is going to strike our house. Soon enough, the house is going to burst into flames and we're all going to die.

That's what I'm telling myself, that is, until there are footsteps pounding in the house. I think it's the caretakers running around looking for me, but when I hear more footsteps and the sound of thuds, I bite down on my tongue and clamp a hand over my mouth. Who's to say that whoever is in the house now isn't a thief making use of the panic outside to cause panic inside? So I'm quiet, resting my head on my knees as I quiet my sobs as much as I can, and I'm sure that I'm safe.

Until the door of my room is thrown open and pairs of feet are storming into my room. This is it, I think. It's over. I'm going to die, and I'm finally going to meet my family again after years of being without them. And though I'm telling myself to be accepting of my upcoming doom, my heart is clouded in fear, because I'm not ready to die. Not yet, anyway.

But when the door to my closet is open, I'm not met with a gun or a knife, or any other kind of weapon. I'm met with Chen's relieved expression. He's breathing heavily as he stands there with one hand firmly wrapped around the doorknob to the closet, and it looks like he's about to pull the door off with how tight he's holding onto it.

Baekhyun's right behind him, looking just as worn out. The difference between the two of them is that while Chen is emptyhanded, excluding the doorknob, Baekhyun has... a sword. A sword? My eyes are glued onto the sword for a moment, the fear in my heart spiking, but when Baekhyun notices my gaze, he drops his sword to the ground.

"She's here!" His voice calls, and within moments, the remaining ten boys of EXO are in my room.

Lay pushes through the crowd of them and crouches down before me, and I ignore the way my anxiety seened to disappear just by looking at him. His lips are moving, but I can't understand nor can I answer him. I can't even hear him. I'm sure I won't be able to focus on anything for as long as the storm of destruction can be heard in the background.

Someone's hand is on me, and I register the grasp for a moment, and then I'm screaming. I can't help it, not with the memories of the past and the overwhelming amount of emotions I'm feeling currently. The hand doesn't pull back, simply pulls me closer, and I struggle, but the hand moves and I'm suddenly crushed against someone's chest.

"Calm down." It's Luhan's voice, and it feels like he's in my head with how clear his voice is. I'm still terrified, of course, but his voice doesn't let me off with just a simple command.

"Focus on my voice. I'm right here with you."

And for some reason, I do what he says. It's not really like I have another option, since his voice is the only thing I can hear over the sound of the lightning outside. It's surprising I can hear him, but I'm relieved that I can't hear the danger outside any longer. I'd take listening to all of their voices over the sound of lightning.

"You'll be okay. We'll get you out of here."

I want to say no. I want to struggle again, since I had decided to stay away from the twelve of them for a reason, but my eyes are suddenly heavy and my head is light. My arms start pushing again, pushing at whoever is holding me, and I can just barely make out the outline of Kai's face. His face is sporting a guarded expression, one full of an emotion I had seen him convey before without being able to determine just what it was.

"The kids... the caretakers... Where- where are they?" My words come out slowly, and I shake my head to keep myself focused. I needed to make sure no one was dead- that I wasn't the only one left living, again.

"They left, Myung Ji." Suho's quiet voice alerts me, and I turn my head slowly in his direction. Just the slight movement is enough to make me feel dizzy,

"The van that's usually in the driveway was missing when we got here. We assume they left the moment they saw the hurricane warning early today."

"... Hurricane?" I asked, because was it really just a hurricane? Was I really left alone because of a hurricane? Why hadn't any of the caretakers taken me with them? Why was I abandoned by the people that were supposed to be my family? And why... why was EXO the ones looking for me, after how I treated them and after I was treated by them?

"But why -"

I want to voice my confusion, there's so much of it building in my head as it is, but I'm stopped when Luhan reaches forward past Kai and presses his fingers to my temple, though his face is set straight like he doesn't even want to be doing this.

"We'll explain it later, but for now, we need to get you somewhere safe."

And then my vision goes black and I can actually feel myself slipping out of consciousness. It scares me for a moment, because how was he able to do that and what did it mean for me? Was I in actual danger because of these people? When my eyes open again, I find myself in a familiar room. I don't know why it's familiar for a few moments as my mind clears, but as I sit up, I'm able to look around at my surroundings. I had seen this room just a few days ago when Luhan, Xiumin and Baekhyun gave me a tour of the mansion; and going by the pictures hung on the walls, I was in Suho's room. There was a suitcase lying at the corner of the room, and I could already tell it was mine considering it had been mine since I was a child, and my jewelry box sat on a desk by the window.

Did I just move into their mansion?